Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

I know this post is months old, but Sharepoint got dumped in my lap and holy gently caress have dynamic groups based on job title = title and account enabled = true made managing permissions in Sharepoint so much easier (still a pain in the rear end but less so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ElGroucho posted:

Nevermind, it was Okta. Luckily, I found the Azure logs and parsed that poo poo out so I could figure out who got unassigned.

gently caress you, Okta

What did Okta do this time — or rather how did it creatively poo poo the bed

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

you ate my cat posted:

MS support is telling us that custom role creation for Teams administration isn't possible. Has anyone made this work successfully? I can't tell if this is crazy or just the most Microsoft thing.

Teams is Sharepoint adjacent, so get used to the jank.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I also remember Teams topping out at 1080p output which is okay for 4K since it’s a direct integer scale there but can be weird for other resolutions or aspect ratios

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Toshimo posted:

If I regularly need to cycle through checking files on a bunch of machines under an elevated alternate username/password, is there a good way to do that without having to rekey everything for each machine? Like, should i just make myself a shortcut to explorer.exe and Run As? Will that just let me hit all the boxes in 1 window?

What does checking files entail here? Verifying they exist? Parsing the contents?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’d say to just spring for the Premium Power Automate license (I think it’s like $500 a month for multiple machines? Been a while, don’t remember the specifics) so you can run poo poo unattended (no user logged in)

We’ve got a few VMs we run flows on and it works pretty well. If what you’re automating is UI based VS API based, you’ll have to account for some jank (like setting default resolution in the config file to 1920x1080 or whatever the common resolution is for your environment every update) but yeah. Saves our three man team a gently caress load of time.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks. My explanation is all over the place but mainly I'm trying to get my arms around organizing all of this. The Sharepoint List would be a staging area because ultimately the test questions will be loaded into a piece of testing software where it would be administered. I'm trying to get us out of our current Excel hell, with the main problem being a horrible spreadsheet being difficult to track changes. I just don't have enough Sharepoint experience to know if a Sharepoint List will be any better. I'll take a harder look at Forms.

How many people will be working within the list? If it’s only a few and sporadically, a SharePoint list is fine (you can take the forms route as well if that’s more your speed, Power Automate probably already has a template you can copy from).

If it’s a lot and often, you can run into issues with people saving over each other/losing what they were working on when a change was made. It’s not ideal for heavy workflows for a few other reasons too.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Doubt they read the list, in their position I’d consider what getting one name wrong would cost and I’d probably say “Yeah, keep the whole list intact.” Whatever is saved on the licenses wouldn’t be worth the potential downside.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The Fool posted:

I used to support an accounting app that needed admin access and access to a mapped drive

the user accounts didn't have admin and the admin accounts didn't have access to the share

that was always fun

I just want to say how hard this speaks to my heart

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 6, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

snackcakes posted:

For license assignments I recommend leveraging dynamic AAD groups as much as you can. It's made my life a heck of a lot easier but obviously everyone's environment/requirements are different

Dynamic Entra ID (:smug:) groups are the way to go for sure, if at all possible.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I've used SharePoint lists and a script as the poor man's HCM

It’s what I had to do to track our job title based permissions. Our infrastructure guys are a couple decades behind the curve and don’t really give a poo poo (I respect it, but it makes everything else harder), so yeah. Is what it is.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Silly Newbie posted:

I've got an issue that's starting to drive me crazy. I have a tenant where I allow sharing from OneDrive to "Anyone". SharePoint sites are internal only, but OneDrive can go out for vendor and customer collaboration etc. It's in my sharing policies for OneDrive in the SharePoint admin center and there are no more restrictive policies in play.
I've got a small subset of users who can't share anonymous links. Their OneDrive manage sharing setting in the admin center is set to allow this.
Anyone seen that before?

I’d check your SharePoint sharing settings in the Sharepoint admin center. OneDrive permissions can be more restrictive but not less restrictive than SharePoint’s. Meaning if something is restricted in SharePoint, it’s restricted in OneDrive as well.

Might be some fuckery there

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Silly Newbie posted:

Thanks, I'll re-check that. It's driving my insane that it's only happening to like 5% of my userbase at random.

The 5% thing made me remember to say to make sure that whatever external domain they’re sharing with is on your global whitelist (if you restrict which domains you allow sharing to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Huh. Maybe I misunderstood on more than one occasion because after briefly looking now I don't see any mention of it online.

I remember reading the same post. You’re not going crazier. No clue which thread though.