Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

IT Guy posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. This is a new person, why should they be logging in as someone else.

Other than company policy though, do you know of any Microsoft recommended best practices or any type of regulations/standards that say this? I'm kind of looking for a tangible piece of information I can show my boss on why I'm in the right.

If you're subject to HIPAA then the Security Rule would prohibit sharing accounts. I'm sure SOX says the same. If you are subject to any kind of outside auditing they'll probably ding you on it too. It's a pretty fundamental best-practice of the entire industry for the last 10? 20? years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

IT Guy posted:

Is Spiceworks still a goon recommended help desk/inventory software? I installed it and it is dead loving slow to do anything. Mind you, it's just sitting on a laptop right now for testing. If I move it to a server, does it get faster or is it always dead loving slow to do anything?

If you don't want to spend anything on it, yes. It will get a little faster on a server but don't expect local app responsiveness.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Spiceworks isn't that bad considering it's free. In my experience all agentless inventory software sucks because of the agentless nature. For each computer they have to scan/find, test credentials, then do a bunch of slow rear end WMI queries over the network to get the information. Not as elegant as an agent just scanning locally then uploading the data to a server.

I've been using it for years and the one thing I can say is that they do slowly but steadily improve it. Merging duplicate tickets was a big enhancement a while ago and they just recently introduced remote agents and remote collectors but I haven't tried them yet. e: I guess those are for machines rarely on the network for scanning, so it's not the same as an agent-based system. But maybe it could be used that way too?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

incoherent posted:

Speaking of HIPPA, what is the best book on this for IT?

It's not much fun bedtime reading but I would start at the source by reading the actual text of the law. You can skip to part 164 for the IT stuff and then it's only about 30-40 pages.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I'm having a hell of a time getting windows updates integrated into a Windows 7 WIM for deployment with WDS. I used WSUS Offline to download all the updates for Windows 7 x64 and checked the box to include C++ runtimes and .NET Frameworks. During the setup process it stops to say "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation."

Hitting Shift-F10 gets me a command prompt where I can start notepad and on the log files in C:\Windows\Panther. setupact has a lot of errors saying "ERROR - .NET 4.0 is not installed"

I found this page that talks about the problem, but when I search for the "New component" listed in the log (for example Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell-Gac-Installation-8IP) I can't find anything about which update is causing the problem. The specific KB he mentions on that page is an MSU instead of CAB like he shows so I assume MS fixed that one since DISM won't let me remove MSUs from a WIM.

spidoman posted:

Hey everyone, do you like building your fully up to date images with convenient Build and Capture task sequences?!

Well good news! Thanks to MS13-081 that's no longer possible!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2894518

That's right, it's impossible to install this update in a task sequence.

Hope you have a way to exclude certain patches from certain machines. We don't!

I'm removing this update in the hopes that it's the problem, but I doubt it. I do love how it takes DISM 20 minutes to unmount and half the time it complains about a failed unmount due to applications still having files open.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I work in a healthcare environment and I foresee getting more and more requests to send confidential info by email. It appears that Outlook supports using certificates to encrypt emails. It seems like I'll have to purchase certs so that recipients don't get annoying pop-ups, and the recipients will also need their own certs. We're likely going to be corresponding with numerous other organizations so exchanging our own CA certs won't work.

The alternative I'm trying to avoid is one of those lovely web portals where you don't encrypt the email but instead send an email saying there's a new message and a link to login to the portal.

Is this the best course to take? Any pitfalls to watch out for? Any good certificate vendors that make buying and managing lots of individual certs easier?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

incoherent posted:

This is what all the medical record companies do. (AIG only method of digital document delivery) you're going to have to get everyone in the room and train, there is no easy out from this.

Is there an industry name for this type of product? Are there any that don't suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Thalagyrt posted:

Yeah, ESET.

Thirding ESET. We've been on it for years with no problems.