Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Not sure if this is a thread for here, the VM thread, or some unknown third option but does anyone know what stopping a VM inside Azure does? I get that you can power off the machine and de-allocate resources, but does it initiate a graceful shutdown first? Or am I better off shutting down the VM from within the OS, and then stopping it? This has been surprisingly hard to google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I'm glad intune just came up. We just moved our first ever client to Azure AD and all the computers are demanding users enter a PIN. I do not want this.

I read that you can go to windows enrollments and disable windows hello but the computers are ignoring this.

Anyone know what I must do to... say goodbye to hello? :smuggo:

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

This is what I did...and yet it still haunts me. Maybe I have no choice but to get support involved.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

JackDRipper posted:

Do yourself the favor, the second you put in a ticket via the web and get called, tell them you want INTUNE support and to transfer :). Or if your enterprise customer don't waste time and just select the intune group and wait.

The Intune team hasn't been all that helpful. Apparently since I joined the computer to Azure AD with my admin account that doesn't have an Intune license it's just going to apply Hello to the computers anyway. For that matter, they tell me that I have to talk to another team to get Hello disabled for these computers because the damage is done.

So far, really loving Azure AD

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

The best way to avoid what you've done is to set up Azure AD so that people can't do an Azure AD Join unless they are in a group that also has an EM+S / Intune license.

It's MDM first and foremost - it's not a service where you can exert heavy-touch admin control over a locked-down workstation like you can with AD+GPO. I think you're probably approaching this with the wrong idea of what Intune is and it's going to frustrate you each time you find out that your preconceptions aren't accurate.

Thanks, I honestly have no idea what Intune is. All I wanted was for users to log into Windows with their Office 365 credentials. I had no idea I would be greeted at every workstation with the requirement of entering a PIN.

I'll keep that in mind for the future though. For now I'm just going to have to hit local group policy on each machine since that seems to be the fix.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

lol internet. posted:

Blah

I guess I'll mess around some more then. Doing this through the internal microsoft CA. Also annoyingly if I set the certificate template to 5 year validity it only gives 2 years.

There's a hard coded cert validity period. 2 years by default. Run command prompt as admin and run "certutil -setreg CA\ValidityPeriodUnits 5" if you want to change it to 5 years. You'll need to restart the CA service and then re-do the cert.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Nonprofit, 100 users? You should be able to get migrationwiz for three figures.

Not the best but it's better than nothing. If your management purports to have a business need to retain mail longer than a year, they need to be able to back that claim up with <= $1k in migration fees. It's a merger, these cost money.

This is really the only answer I can think of that will prevent you from having a mental breakdown.

One thing I should mention is that for those few people who have personal distros/contact groups in their accounts, MigrationWiz cannot migrate these. Everything else will move over. This has caused problems for me in the past

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Ha, I wish, but his lucky rear end got a Powershell script working with a CSV, it is recovering emails back to the proper folders. Only problem now is that it takes ~20 minutes per user, and Microsoft allegedly limits an organization to 3 simultaneous sessions, to protect against DDOS (according to them, though I'm sure it's more about saving costs on CPU burst). So now we're splitting the CSV into 3 and running it in 3 different sessions.

I would love to see this script, if you wouldn't mind. It could come in handy one day

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Sure, here ya go

code:
$UserCredential = Get-Credential

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri [url]https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/[/url] -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

Import-PSSession $Session -DisableNameChecking

$mailboxes = Import-CSV "C:\temp\Book.csv"; $mailboxes | foreach {Restore-RecoverableItems -Identity $_.PrimarySMTPAddress -FilterItemType IPM.Note -ResultSize Unlimited}
The CSV should look like

code:
Name,PrimarySmtpAddress
example.dude,example.dude@contoso.com
and so on

That is much easier than I reckoned it would be thank you

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

So I've never successfully setup RADIUS authentication from scratch for wireless clients, but in the near future I'm going to need to make it work for something like 25-30 WAPs (Ruckus) which use their cloud based controller for management.

I have two(and a half) questions:
1. Does anyone know of a good guide for setting up the Windows side for authentication?
2. How do I get tell the server that the WAPs are cool? Previously I've done this by putting the IP address of a WAP in the server. With this cloud console you can't tell a WAP what to use as an IP, so if I want to set it statically I'd have to create like 25-30 DHCP reservations. Is there an easier/better way?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Specify the management VLAN you want the WAPs to use and then whitelist this subnet on your RADIUS server

This answer is so simple that I never would have thought of it. I'll give the WAPs their own management VLAN. Thanks Thanks Ants!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

kiwid posted:

Turned out to be our SonicWalls doing some funky rear end poo poo.

Weird cause this only started last week.

what a waste of my loving life. I hate this profession.

Was it dpi-ssl?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I love SonicWalls, actually. They're pretty darned user friendly.

Maybe I'm biased though, since I've been working with them for something like 7-8 years. I can find my way around a Cisco, but I have no idea how people live with them.

Having said that, yes, I have had to call SonicWall support way too many times for weird poo poo. One time LDAP connection broke because the password was too...complicated...?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Does anyone else do a lot of Office 365 MFA setup? We recently started pushing for that with our clients, but it seems like unless I want to recreate a new Outlook profile, it will prompt for a password and only accept the app password.

There was like a week where I could reliably get an MFA prompt in Office 2016, and also in 2013 if I added the EnableADAL registry key, but now I'm consistently being forced to use the app password.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

The Fool posted:

While it should be on by default at this point, it's fairly easy to check the status and turn it on if needed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/enable-or-disable-modern-authentication-in-exchange-online

I have it enabled for the tenant, but my issue is that I'm rolling it out to existing Office 365 users and I don't want to recreate their Outlook profile.

I purge their password from credential manager, reboot, and only get a password prompt that accepts app passwords.

Seems like there's two types of prompts. The grey looking box that wants a username/ password. Or the fancy white microsoft page that works with MFA

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

The Fool posted:

:same:

Yes, there's Basic Authentication and there's Modern Authentication.

You shouldn't have to recreate their Outlook profiles for Modern Auth to work.

Do you have an issue with RPC? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3126599/outlook-prompts-for-password-when-modern-authentication-is-enabled

It would seem our RPC is all kinds of hosed up thank you for your magical registry fix!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Well, here's a weird one that I don't know how to Google...

We fixed up folder permissions to use groups instead of explicit permissions. Now some users can't access the folder despite being part of the group.

We made sure they log out and back in. NTFS permissions are good, Share permissions are set to full control for everyone, the way god intended.

Oddly enough, if you navigate to the folder by IP address it works but not using DNS name. I immediately checked if offline files was enabled since that has hosed me before, but nope.

The first time it happened I figured gently caress that user, their computer is hosed up. It just happened to another person.

Anyone run into something like this before?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Tried FQDN and hostname. I also thought it was a DNS issue, since it's always DNS but in this case it does not seem to be..

So you can do \\SERVER\SHARE and get there

If you do \\SERVER\SHARE\FOLDER you get told that you don't have permission

If you do \\IP\SHARE\FOLDER you're golden

Pinging server by FQDN or hostname return the same result

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

buffbus posted:

Is it access denied just for accessing the share or is the issue specifically when trying to create a new file/folder? Also, does it work when reading a file by exact path instead of browsing to it?

I don’t work on file servers much these days but vaguely recall there being rights missing for reading extended attributes and for listing folder contents, respectively for the above.

Access to the share is fine, but accessing a specific folder is denied, unless you browse by IP.

FISHMANPET posted:

There is a traverse permission that exists. One other thing that probably doesn't apply but I'll mention it anyway, you can't make multiple connections to a single file server with different connect-as values. So if you're logged in as userA and map a drive to SERVER then try to map another share as userB that will fail. It's a client side thing, so if you make that mapping as UserB to the ip address or a cname it will be fine.

This gives me an idea, maybe there's something stored in the credential manager. The users have laptops though, so sadly I will have to wait a few days to check for that.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

buffbus posted:

Assuming the intention is for all folders to have the same permissions. You might just reset all access rights down the structure in case there are lingering user specific denies.

Unless there's something I deeply do not understand about permissions I don't see how it could be a permissions issue if it works by IP but not DNS name. If it was permissions wouldn't it not work either way?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I got stuck trying to upgrade FRS to DFSR and it turns out windows firewall was blocking me. Oops

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

About 250 out into five separate companies. I’m pretty sure that’s not enough to make the MS consultancy costs anywhere near worth it.

Fairly sure the method is accurate, but it’s a lot of dicking around. And yes the plan is a bit crazy but I have no control over that.

Your plan seems pretty sound from my own experience. But yeah lol sharepoint, onedrive, archive mailboxes. Reclaiming a domain is usually pretty quick, but there have been instances where I've had to wait hours. Never a fun time when that's the case.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Migrating On-Premise Exchange 2010 (currently SP1) to O365. Basically every step I take I have to completely upgrade their infrastructure just to keep going. Already had to upgrade the whole AD schema, next is gonna be Exchange upgrade to SP3. Also, somehow microsoft removed Exchange from their original tenant because it was unused for too long (WTF??) and we had to recreate the tenant, which meant waiting a day just to remove the domain...

This seems like a lot more effort than I usually have to go through... What are you using for the migration? Their built-in tools? If you aren't already in too deep, you may want to look into something like MigrationWiz. You'll need to migrate things like public folders on your own, and it won't grab things like contact groups local to the mailbox, but it is very convenient.

I typically also use their own sync tool to migrate distribution groups to the cloud, because once you lose Exchange it's kind of a pain to manage things like whether or not external senders can mail the distro, or hiding from address book.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you say that but 2008r2 is still supported and its easy to not know you need to convert

I've been migrating so many Sysvols to DFSR lately, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

On another note, does anyone have any good reading on Azure AD DS? So far I've been able to ascertain that it ties to a domain name, and that it is neither AD DS nor Azure Active Directory.

My company wants to start moving in that direction and I'm not entirely sure why

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Pretty sure 2016 is fine with FRS replication but 2019 100% is not. If your oldest DC is 2008 raise the functional levels and see if you can make this server a DC. Worst case scenario it fails at the pre req check

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Your comment made me curious so I looked it up. It seems that earlier versions of Server 2016 did support FRS, but version 1709 and beyond does not.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025991/windows-server-version-1709-no-longer-supports-frs

Thanks for the correction! I had no idea. We deploy 2019 now so I haven't had to deploy 2016 in a 2003 environment in a while

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

This is too real. I had to assembly line setup a bunch of horrible, horrible Win 10 tablets that a client bought and I couldn't hit the mute button(s) fast enough

Re: Hold music. I was on hold the other day and this song started playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh9h4KZpnJU It was funny at first, but by the third play through I wanted to die.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Found this cool thing

It is a PowerShell function that lets you connect to multiple Office 365 services. Exchange, Azure AD, Sharepoint, Teams, Security and Compliance center, etc. Even has an argument for if you have MFA enabled.

Not sure if it'll be useful for anyone else here, but I am thrilled.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Anyone well versed in Azure able to see a way out of the hole I dug for myself?

Seems that when I setup an Azure network I picked the VpnGw1 SKU instead of Basic SKU. This costs ~$100 more per month. I'm not even sure if Basic was an option when I tried creating it, but whateverrrr.

Anyhow, there's no way to change the Virtual Network Gateway from VpnGw1 to Basic, so I need to make a new one. The problem is, from what I am seeing, I am going to have to destroy the entire virtual network and start from scratch. Is that true, or is there a way to shift everything over to a new Gateway that I'm not seeing?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

We are finally delving into the mysterious world of Azure AD DS. It's less complicated than I thought, but this article is telling me that you can't move users out of the default OU.

Most of our clients are coming from on-premise Exchange and AD or a combo of Office 365 and AD. My current strategy is to Azure AD Connect from On-Prem to Office 365. Then sync those users to Azure AD DS so their password doesn't change. After the move is complete I'll disable AD Connect

This leads me to being stuck with a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad OU structure and I hate it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

skipdogg posted:

That article is a couple years old which is several lifetimes for cloud stuff. Last I checked azure ad ds still isn’t a full replacement for on prem AD yet.

Latest docs are here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory-domain-services/

That article points to this article which says the same thing. I appreciate the link to updated documentation though. The 2016 timestamp on my article didn't fill me with much confidence.

Sickening posted:

Isn't the point of AD DS is that OU's don't matter? What would the point of AD DS OU's be?

Like skipdogg said, Azure AD DS doesn't seem like a full replacement for on prem but so far lot of what I need is there. I still have the ability to do group policy, so that's cool. I'm not really losing much functionality right now but that one OU is unpleasant to look at. I guess that's my main gripe. I also miss being able to do DFS stuff.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I know they say you should keep an exchange server in the environment but what are you really losing?

I've done a few hybrid to O365 only migrations and haven't witnessed any terrible repercussions

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

The Fool posted:

Just integrate your CNC machines with sharepoint online.

top tier post

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

All of our client office 365 tenants have MFA enabled now, but that has made my life difficult when it comes to powershell.

If I want to connect to any service, I have to log in again. So, say I want to connect to Teams, MSOL, and Exchange. That means I enter the password 3x and respond to MFA prompt 3x.

From what I've seen the answer is no, but has anyone found a good way to work around this?

It wouldn't be so bad but since we're an MSP and many people need access to these accounts it works the following way:

Log into office 365 -> text message is sent to an external service -> service emails an O365 team -> code appears in designated MFA code channel.

It works great except for when it doesn't (which is often)

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

The Fool posted:

Can you use conditional access to set your office as a trusted ip?

I don't think this will work because of the licensing requirement? Can't tell my clients to pay extra money because it makes life easier for me

Jeoh posted:

why not just use TOTP?

I'm not sure how I'd make that work, care to elaborate? (I'm not being sassy, just stupid)

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

The Fool posted:

Are you using a shared admin account or your own account is delegated admin access to your client?

If the latter, you only need the additional license on your own account.

If the former, stop using shared accounts they're bad.

If neither, do the latter.

...the former. I don't think I can convince my company to make individual admin accounts for every technical member of my company for each of our many clients

We are delegated admin as well with our own accounts but there's only so much you can do with that

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're an MSP then you should be using your own Office 365 accounts with delegated admin permissions to admin the tenants, you get seats of EM+S E3 licensing free with a Silver partner status and you can use that to configure conditional MFA.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/partnercenter/multi-factor-auth?view=partnercenterps-2.0

Hey, this looks cool. I'm going to do check this out more in-depth after I get some caffeine in me. Thanks!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I've come across a problem in Azure that has been pretty hard for me to google.

I've got a WVD Hostpool and a Standard Load Balancer so my VMs can share a Public IP Address

Somehow I've broken it so that when I add new VMs to the hostpool they have no external internet access, until I add them to the Backend Pool of the Load Balancer

This is preventing the VMs from having the Windows Virtual Desktop Agent and Bootloader installed, which means they don't join the hostpool automatically. Azure considers the VM deployment a failure because of this

As a result I have to add the VM to the Load Balancer Backend Pool manually, and then manually install the agents and register it with the hostpool

Life is hell

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Are you putting them behind a restrictive Network Security Group?

Are they being joined to a working subnet?

Are they being joined to the RIGHT subnet?

Not a restrictive NSG, definitely a working and correct subnet

Someone who wasn't me setup a basic load balancer for old VDIs (which are gone now) which I replaced with a standard load balancer. I see no reason why this would be an issue but... the problem started soon after.

It's probably something stupid and unrelated that I'm not seeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Zaepho posted:

Would this not be what a NAT gateway would be used for?
What is the need for e single inbound public IP to be associated with the VMs in a WVD hostpool?

More of an outbound thing. One of the web apps they use is locked down so you have to get your IP address whitelisted and this is how we cut costs I guess. Anyhow I took a break from it today. Tomorrow I'll look into it again and let y'all know when(if) I discover the problem