Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Funny story: This came to a head because we aren't using PSAppDeployToolkit, but I had decided I was going to do up one of my next apps with it so we could try it out and when I announced it at our morning meeting, MSI guy got riled up because of all things I picked to try it with, it was VLC, which came to us as an MSI.

MSI guy is a curmudgeon. I bet if you open up space for other people, they'll do a good job modernizing stuff. Our installers for stuff like VLC was literally a Powershell script that ran "choco install vlc". We never had to touch it again. And at your scale, I'd look into running private repos and packaging anything specific to your company. It'll be worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

poo poo, look for what's really being hired right now in endpoint management type tools: CD/CI engineers. Site reliability engineering skillsets. These things to do not point to msi as the way forward, or even the way of the present.

Yup. Get your team trained up on Microsoft's modern desktop stuff or you'll be fighting technical debt forever.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I read that! It raised my blood pressure!

I have no experience at that scale, but I think getting together folks who want to make improvements and showing off how much easier/better stuff is with new tools and having them be champions for that change is the way to go. Not always easy to make that call of cleaning up old poo poo or just migrating to something new, but I think at least in some of these cases migrating to something new might be the way to go. Just gotta put that team together. Easier said than done.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 12, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What you're describing is possible. Just know that it's not 100% bulletproof. You're just stopping people from doing something that they don't realize is risky, not so much locking down Fort Knox. You want to look at MAM policies.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/apps/app-protection-policy

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yikes, those disks.

I'm not a big Hyper-V user, but double check to make sure there's no a setting that is forcing those VMs to use virtual memory on the host instead of real memory, because that would explain a lot. VMware would call it Memory Limit, but no idea in Hyper-V.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There is also a small shop thread here that might be more helpful for your scenario. Folks around here might ask you for a trigger warning on that situation.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723832

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

H2SO4 posted:

Microsoft has been lazy with quality-of-life improvements for AVD and such because if customers want the easy button then they just bring in Citrix to back up the truck and sprinkle their bits on top. It literally makes them more money that way.

I'm sure they're working on gradually chipping away at the differentiators that people actually use Citrix for, and I suspect the recent buyout and ransacking is only going to push that timetable up.

Pretty funny, because you could have said the same exact thing 20 years ago.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can do custom installs that just run a script. In fact, I'd say it's probably the most common way for any decent sized InTune deployment.

You can literally just take your psappdeploytoolkit deploys from SSCM and move them to InTune.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it's very reasonable to be frustrated that you weren't in the loop if you manage SCCM. That points to a larger issue that I would definitely want to get straightened out before moving forward with any sort of migration.

You can keep doing what you're doing. And I'll actually disagree slightly with Thanks Ants in that in the migrations I have helped with, we moved over existing packages and just used the custom detection method to detect that they were already installed via SCCM. If you Google "PSAppDeployToolkit Intune," you'll see it's a fairly common thing that has been documented pretty well.

In my experience, the things that trips up most SCCM->InTune migrations are actually ancillary to SCCM.
  • Migrating GPOs. (not all settings are in InTune, my info here may be a year or two out of date)
  • Azure AD Hybrid Joining machines, especially during Autopilot. (needs visibility to domain controller)
  • Shifting the understanding from using images to using declarative configurations. (taking baseline Windows out of the box and getting it to what you want, not starting with a customized image)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

well that sounds like a loving nightmare
condolences

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're Azure AD hybrid, why are people saying no to Azure Files? Does Azure AD Kerberos for hybrid identities not fix this? I have been out of that world since that was released. But as far as I know that means no VPN or visibility to a domain controller needed for end users to use a file share with NTFS permissions.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-files-active-directory-overview

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting, thanks for the responses. Wild that "put all your files in SharePoint" is the advice over hosted SMB3. I mean it only took 20 years, but I guess CIO magazine won in the end.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are you doing Pooled or Personal? If Personal, the recommendation to use Intune or whatever else you use for your normal hardware is the way to go. If you're using Pooled, it's a lot more tricky. I've done some variation of Pooled VDI for... a really long time now, and I'm convinced it isn't worth it for the vast majority of use cases. Too much added complexity, overhead, and know-how required for anyone maintaining it or helpdesk supporting it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should get a new Exchange contact, because you can easily add aliases to distribution lists.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients-in-exchange-online/manage-distribution-groups/manage-distribution-groups

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This might be a place to start - https://doitpsway.com/get-a-better-intune-policy-report-part-3-final

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup yup. Also I do vaguely remember there is an upper limit of hardware MFA tokens EntraID will allow for your tenant. Maybe that's out of date knowledge, but I think it was talked about here or maybe the InfoSec thread fairly recently. Doesn't sound like it will be a problem for you, but something to be aware of.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

The limit was to do with tokens on a Yubikey IIRC and not how many hardware tokens an Entra tenant can support. And yes, they are £30 or something along those lines, you might have a handful of employees who request a token, just treat it as disposable.

Huh. Maybe I misunderstood on more than one occasion because after briefly looking now I don't see any mention of it online.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Haha, thank you for that. Maybe we're both going crazy. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You love to see it. Thank you goon!