Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Unattended for automated Windows installs. WSUS for Windows/Office updates. WPKG for non-MS software updates.

I've never seen WPKG. Can you give me a little insider info on how it works for you, maybe some things you like and don't like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Dude just type the commands and walk away. Its not like brain surgery.

And 6 DCs for 3 sites? Overkill much?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Can some of you make some suggestions for what sort of enterprise management software we should be looking at. I know this thread is primarily focused on SCCM but Im not entirely sure this is the exact product we need. Our environment consists of about 500 client machines. Most are Dell/Windows but we have some different types of machines out there would like to manage that include basic workgroup machines, IOS devices, a Mac client here and there. I would also love to be able to integrated management of my network devices (routers, access points, etc) if at all possible. We took at look at Kace but the entry price is pretty high and doesnt fit all our wish list items. We also looked at Systems Center and the price looks right but I am not sure how well it is going to fulfill our wish list. Anyone have any suggestions?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Will the Microservers make decent multifunction servers for small branch offices?

I'm running 5 offices worldwide without subnets or sites defined because we were a Citrix shop. But our citrix servers are old as poo poo and our users need desktops. It looks like AD throws a poo poo ton of data over the WAN link so I'm looking for low cost, low power AD servers that might also serve out AV and WSUS downstream stuff.

Or am I in the wrong thread?

I don't give a poo poo about storage as I have pretty good NAS' at the sites with 1TB of RAID1 storage for user files.

AD traffic should be negligible across the WAN provided you have any sort of modern WAN link. Your remote sites can also be configured to get approvals from your WSUS server but source the downloads directly from Microsoft via their internet links. Of course your AV may be another issue but I wouldnt worry about a server at every site just for AD and WSUS.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Two of our offices have not so great T1s, they'd be doing print serving, home directories and shared data too. I'd be repurposing our NAS as a backup area.

5 or 6 clients doing email over the VPN, Av updates, windows update, it can choke a T1 pretty quickly, especially if someone decides to watch a video or something.
Well thats a completely different story and totally not the impression your first post gives off. Yes if you are talking print and file share traffic then yes you should probably have a local server.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Jesus, I was simply asking if the Microserver makes a good low cost low power DC/multi function server, not your opinion on whether I need a DC in the site. But hey, thanks!

Just trying to help you save some money dude. But whatever, put a server on every desk if it makes you feel better.