Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbeck
Jul 15, 2005
I can RIS that
We use WSUS to push out updates. We are still 100% a Windows XP shop and WSUS pushes out Windows Media Player 11. Today the CFO posted a Windows Media video on his blog for the employees. It turns out Windows Media Player 11 wants to validate before it run. It also likes to fail when all the users who are non-admin (all of them) try to click through. I really don't want to have to log into 600 computers, run WMP as admin, and click next, next, next.

Please tell me there is some policy/command line/permissions I can setup to get me out of the punishment known as Windows Genuine Advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbeck
Jul 15, 2005
I can RIS that

Naramyth posted:

In Group Policy you can disable first run startup for Windows Media Player.

Computer Policies/admin templates/Windows Components/Windows Media Player/Do Not Show First Use Dialog Boxes

e: I don't know if that is the same as the validating process.

It turns out the validation does work if you just open WMP by itself or directly open the file. I am thinking the validation failure is related to trying to open the file from Internet Explorer.

Disabling the first use dialog didn't seem to work but it was a good idea.

gbeck
Jul 15, 2005
I can RIS that
I am looking for something I can provide to the support staff to be a central place to view information, like which terminal server users are signed into, easy access to reset passwords, or whatever other things I dream up. Basically I can write a script/app and the support staff can run as needed.

I have been looking around but haven't come up with anything. What are other people using to provide easy to use tools for other support staff?

gbeck
Jul 15, 2005
I can RIS that

spidoman posted:

Does RSAT not provide most of what you want?

I work in healthcare and the main group of people I am targeting are the "Application Admins". They know everything about the clinical side but just enough on the IT side. I don't really expect (or want) them to be running around AD or give them admin rights to servers.

gbeck
Jul 15, 2005
I can RIS that

theperminator posted:

I'm setting up a highly available RDS cluster with 2012 R2, I've got load balanced gateways and 2 connection brokers configured with HA

Are you using Network Load Balancing (NLB) for the HA? If it is similar to 2008 R2 you can run NLB in one of two modes, unicast or multicast. VMware suggests using mulitcast mode.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1556