Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Foolie posted:

Any particular reason? I grabbed a kindle when I lost easy access to English bookstores and it's been pretty excellent, but I don't think that's most people's experience.

Really? Most people I've talked to have raved about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Foolie posted:

Any particular reason? I grabbed a kindle when I lost easy access to English bookstores and it's been pretty excellent, but I don't think that's most people's experience.

It's my first ebook reader so I can't really compare it to any others. I just carry it everywhere with me and I read much more. Great battery life, great storage space and it really feels like I'm reading the book. I can't really say one bad thing about it so far.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Honestly, the only things I can think of that would improve my kindle would be to have more fonts (or make it easier to add them) and better Goodreads integration (syncing between Amazon and Goodreads is a bit wonky right now). Besides that, it's pretty much the perfect device for reading.

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
Fonts preference is subjective thing. I am sure that Amazon took time and money to find a particular default font for Kindle. And some books publisher choose specific embedded font for a novel, One novel had three distinct fonts and they were pain to read.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Vaz posted:

Fonts preference is subjective thing. I am sure that Amazon took time and money to find a particular default font for Kindle. And some books publisher choose specific embedded font for a novel, One novel had three distinct fonts and they were pain to read.

Reports from last November are that Amazon's next Kindle will have a proprietary font made just for it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Fremry posted:

Reports from last November are that Amazon's next Kindle will have a proprietary font made just for it.

Of course Q2 ends in 9 days and still no sign of it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Of course Q2 ends in 9 days and still no sign of it.

Very true.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah I was waiting for the next version of the Kindle to be announced but I'm tired of carrying real books with me or reading on my phone on the bus since I stare at a computer all day long for work so gently caress it, just gonna buy a Paperwhite right now. I didn't qualify for those discounts that were posted a page back or two unfortunately otherwise I'd have bought one. Is $119 the cheapest I can get a Paperwhite for right now?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fremry posted:

Really? Most people I've talked to have raved about it.

Pretty much anyone I've talked to who bought a Kindle (or other good ereader) has raved about it, talked about how they read so much more now, etc etc.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I was waiting for the next version of the Kindle to be announced but I'm tired of carrying real books with me or reading on my phone on the bus since I stare at a computer all day long for work so gently caress it, just gonna buy a Paperwhite right now. I didn't qualify for those discounts that were posted a page back or two unfortunately otherwise I'd have bought one. Is $119 the cheapest I can get a Paperwhite for right now?

Yep. It's dropped price twice to $99 but they were only for a very short time and fairly irregular.

lastworkivy
Jun 22, 2014
I have a Paperwhite and I absolutely love it.

Nothing beats having an entire library of books at your disposal anytime anywhere.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I recently bought a Paperwhite (I have 3 of them, one for each cat) at Office Max when they had a 20% off sale. So might be worth checking office supply chains.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
I bought a Kindle 4 a couple of weeks ago and it's completely reinvigorated my desire to read. I skipped out on the Paperwhite because I wanted to avoid getting anything backlit, and Best Buy had the 5 on sale for $50. I regret nothing.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Riftling posted:

I bought a Kindle 4 a couple of weeks ago and it's completely reinvigorated my desire to read. I skipped out on the Paperwhite because I wanted to avoid getting anything backlit, and Best Buy had the 5 on sale for $50. I regret nothing.

You should regret not getting the paperwhite, because they're not backlit. Edge light is reflected light, just like you're using with your kindle 5, or a physical book.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Riftling posted:

It's actually the inverse and really a lot better than the other versions. I held out for the longest time because I wanted the Kindle Keyboard to have the same tech but a friend's Paperwhite convinced me it's still better than having the buttons.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
Aah, that's actually pretty cool. I had previously played around with a Paperwhite for a week, but reading on it still felt too similar to reading off of a glow of a computer screen. Since I spend so much time in front of the computer at work/home as is, I wanted to get as far away from that feeling as possible. The basic Kindle works really well for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the difference between the $109 refurbished Paperwhite vs the $119 brand new Paperwhite? Are refurbished Kindles just like refurbished Apple products, i.e., more rigorously tested (due to being returned) and batteries replaced so it's practically brand new?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the difference between the $109 refurbished Paperwhite vs the $119 brand new Paperwhite? Are refurbished Kindles just like refurbished Apple products, i.e., more rigorously tested (due to being returned) and batteries replaced so it's practically brand new?

I bought a refurb Kindle 4, and I couldn't tell the difference between it and a new one. It still works perfectly fine with no noticeable battery issues 2 years later.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's less chance someone put their balls on a new one.

Pretty much just that though. :10bux: is :10bux:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love how realistic my Paperwhite looks and I have read many more books now that I don't have to lug around huge books. I still have hardcover editions of my favorite books for re-reading, but I've owned each edition of Kindle in turn and the Paperwhite is the best so far.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

How bad of an idea is it to take my Paperwhite to the beach? I'm always afraid the black back is going to soak up sun and melt it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

^burtle posted:

How bad of an idea is it to take my Paperwhite to the beach? I'm always afraid the black back is going to soak up sun and melt it.

It's not going to melt, but if you want to avoid getting sand or water ground into/on it you can simply place the kindle in a sandwich size ziplock bag and it'll still be perfectly readable and the screen will detect your fingers just fine.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
How does the Paperwhite deal with pdfs compared to the Kindle Touch? Or, for that matter, are there any e-readers universally considered to display pdfs better than any other?

^burtle posted:

Well based on my experience with the Touch, the Kindles seem basically indestructible. I've had it for about 18 months now, and treat it terribly. It's been exposed to sun, to rain, to sharp, pointy things in the bottom of my bag, and to extremes of heat and cold without any protection (I never got around to ordering a case for it) and I've never had any problems with it. I used it on the beaches in Australia a while back, leaving it exposed in the sun for at least a couple of hours at a time in 35 degree celsius heat, and it survived just fine. I'd recommend treating yours with a bit more care than I have, of course, but you should at least be confident that they're capable of taking a beating and won't self-destruct on five minutes exposure to direct sunlight.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Blurred posted:

How does the Paperwhite deal with pdfs compared to the Kindle Touch? Or, for that matter, are there any e-readers universally considered to display pdfs better than any other?

Well based on my experience with the Touch, the Kindles seem basically indestructible. I've had it for about 18 months now, and treat it terribly. It's been exposed to sun, to rain, to sharp, pointy things in the bottom of my bag, and to extremes of heat and cold without any protection (I never got around to ordering a case for it) and I've never had any problems with it. I used it on the beaches in Australia a while back, leaving it exposed in the sun for at least a couple of hours at a time in 35 degree celsius heat, and it survived just fine. I'd recommend treating yours with a bit more care than I have, of course, but you should at least be confident that they're capable of taking a beating and won't self-destruct on five minutes exposure to direct sunlight.
Copying from the FAQ in the IYG ereader thread:

Q. What is the best eReader for PDFs?

A. A full size tablet. Seriously, the Kindle, Nook E-Ink, Sonys, Kobo will all suck at reading that format. People have some success at using Calibre (see below) to convert PDFs to Mobi or ePub. If you need it for academic purposes, the Nook Color and iPad are just going to handle the graphics and formatting better than an e-ink screen. Repeatedly asking about this in the thread will result in people getting really pissed at you, so please make sure its a unique question on PDFs before asking.

The answer is: the largest, highest resolution screen available. The point of a pdf is that you can't reformat the text; an ereader depends on reformatting the text. Some can try to break and reflow pdfs, which will be 'ok' at best, for all-text documents, 'lousy' for more complex pdfs, and 'impossible' if it's a scanned, non-ocr'd document. The difference between those two kindles will be basically nothing. An 8.5x11" page zoomed out to fit on a 6" screen will be pretty much unreadable. A book-sized pdf, zoomed to crop margins, on a 6" screen, is readable as long as you have good eyesight. I can tell you that my Aura HD beats the hell out of my Kindle Keyboard at this, because it's a larger screen and much higher resolution (plus the pdf handler beats the pants off of kindle's), but a kindle dx would presumably be better still, and none would be as usable as a tablet. If you insist on getting a 6" kindle for pdfs, jailbreak it and look into third party pdf renderers; they're considerably faster and more customizable.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There's less chance someone put their balls on a new one.

Pretty much just that though. :10bux: is :10bux:

Balls be damned, just ordered a refurb.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A friend of mine is travelling to the states in a bit and I was wondering if I should get a Paperwhite. I already have a Kindle 4 (non-touch) and I love it, but I've heard so much praise for the paperwhite that I'm considering just getting one and selling my current one.

Thoughts?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

A friend of mine is travelling to the states in a bit and I was wondering if I should get a Paperwhite. I already have a Kindle 4 (non-touch) and I love it, but I've heard so much praise for the paperwhite that I'm considering just getting one and selling my current one.

Thoughts?

Being a person who had a Kindle 4 and upgraded to a Paperwhite, I don't think the price justifies it unless you plan on using the light often. If you're fine using an external light source, I would stick with the Kindle 4.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thoughts?

Yes, the improved front-light makes reading so much easier and better;

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
I really like my Paperwhite!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks for the comments. My friend's not travelling for a while, so I still have some time to save up a bit of money and decide. I'll probably go for it, I use it quite a bit and I can sell my current one over here and get most of the money back.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks for the comments. My friend's not travelling for a while, so I still have some time to save up a bit of money and decide. I'll probably go for it, I use it quite a bit and I can sell my current one over here and get most of the money back.

You should probably just buy that $85 refurb and have your friend bring it later. $85 is a great deal and about as cheap as it gets.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Assuming I have a legal way to acquire ebooks and intend to load them to my Kindle using Calibre, is there any compelling reason to pay for 3G instead of wifi-only on a new paperwhite? I would never use a kindle to browse or anything anyway.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Old Story posted:

Assuming I have a legal way to acquire ebooks and intend to load them to my Kindle using Calibre, is there any compelling reason to pay for 3G instead of wifi-only on a new paperwhite? I would never use a kindle to browse or anything anyway.

No, and honestly, if you have a normal cell-phone data plan nowadays, they usually come with cellular hotspot funcitonality. I just went to the shore this weekend and on the drive down turned on the hotspot and downloaded a book.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thoughts on Kindle Unlimited? I'm generally ambivalent towards it given that my to-read list isn't well represented but there are fair amount of series available which could make it worth it on a per month basis.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

The selection seems to be 95% self-published crap and then a few not-so-recent popular books that you could probably download from the library without waiting on the waitlist. It really doesn't look like it's worth it. Too bad.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

If I didn't already have like a year-long backlog of books to read I might be interested. In the meantime I'm not going to spend another ten bucks a month. Maybe a while down the road when the selection improves and I need more to read.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Florida Betty posted:

The selection seems to be 95% self-published crap and then a few not-so-recent popular books that you could probably download from the library without waiting on the waitlist. It really doesn't look like it's worth it. Too bad.

Seconding this. I was excited about this because I spend about $30 a month on ebooks but the selection is laughable...it's all those crap books that are always on sale for $1.99 with some really popular stuff (hunger games and harry potter) thrown in to make it look legit.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The library is really awful because no book publisher is gonna sign on to this when they charge the monthly sub price for a single book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

The library is really awful because no book publisher is gonna sign on to this when they charge the monthly sub price for a single book.

Indeed; I haven't even looked past the headline, because I'm sure it'll be the same selection as the kindle owners' lending library. I have prime and an old kindle lying around, yet haven't even bothered looking for a free book in many months.

• Locked thread