Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Liberty_MI posted:

What cases did you guys get?

The official leather case is great and easy to attach. There are complaints that the elastic band comes off, but I have had no problems so far, it seems securely attached. Most likely this comes from people manhandling and stretching the strap beyond its intention.
What annoyed me the most was that Amazon.com has a 2-3 week back order on the black leather case. However, I went to my local target and they had 4 of them in stock so I bought it there.

EDIT: looks like they got it back in stock with no delays anymore.
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather-Display-Latest-Generation/dp/B003DZ163E

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Amazon: 14-day lending coming to Kindle “later this year”

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...year%E2%80%9D/1

There goes one of the nook's selling points.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My dream product is a tablet with a color touch screen, 3g, about as thin and lightweight as a kindle 3rd gen, 6-7 inch screen, and costs around $300.

Otherwise when I want to read books, the b/w e-ink screen is much better.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dramatika posted:

Also, would I be able to use the 3G for the Kindle's browser, or does all web browsing need to be done via wifi?

Yes, the 3g can be used for browsing the web. If a signal drops or cannot be reached, the kindle browser will ask you if you want to use wifi and then will list available wifi networks and whether they are encrypted, etc.

As others have said, browsing the forums is much better with turning off pictures. Its a little wonky at times, but without the need to pay a monthly fee for a data plan, I'm not complaining. (If you get the 3g version.)

Also the battery life is much better if you turn the wireless off when you are not using it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

infraboy posted:

Alright so I think i'm in the market for an E-reader, definitely leaning towards the Kindle right now, i'd like to get it before I take a vacation on Dec 5th.

I could say that I don't "need" an e-reader, i've been contemplating one for over a year, the prices on the newest Kindle are pretty drat convincing. Is it still too early to buy one? The thought of at least having a bunch of books on one device is very enticing.

Or should I just wait for a future generation version? I know the technology on these things is similar to computers and they'll just keep getting better and better and cheaper so it wouldn't make a huge difference if I buy one now or later.

If you don't need tablet-like features and will read for long periods of time on the go, get the kindle 3g. You can use the clunky browser to check most email and browse most websites without paying a monthly data plan. Its perfect for text heavy websites, news, and such. If $189 is too much, then get the cheaper wifi only kindle, but you have to connect to a hotspot if you want internet. All books can be ordered from the device or from amazon's website. The 3g device will download the book in under a minute once you buy online. (Most of the time...) Get the $30 official leather case no matter which one you choose. As for waiting for future versions of the Kindle, I wouldn't bother. I can't see what else they can upgrade at this point unless they release a color e-ink screen. (Which they said they wont do anytime soon.)

If you want tablet apps and features, the ipad is probably the best, but it is a beast to carry around with you. Its also the most expensive. Otherwise the new nook color is much cheaper, but does not have as good an app selection. This might change with time, but B/N is trying to downplay its tablet features and focus mostly on it being an e-reader.

If you want to tinker around with the device and upload custom firmware and such, I think the sony e-reader is the best choice. Lots of goons here reccomend it. However the kindle and nook probably have better e-book stores, and an easier way to purchase books.

Stay away from the Kobo. Don't bother.

I myself own the kindle 3g and am obviously biased towards it. The battery life will last weeks if you turn the wireless off, and a good week if its on. The e-ink screen is the best. I tried reading off of a fellow commuter's Ipad a while ago and the difference was very jarring for me. However, like I said before, if you want an app store, movies, music, etc, the Ipad is the way to go. Frankly I'm thinking of getting an Ipad to go with my kindle, but only if they downsize one to 7-8 inches and make it thinner. The nook color is nice, but I don't like how they are downplaying the app store capabilities of it.

If you have a Barnes and Noble nearby, they will gladly show you both nooks. Most Target stores have a kindle on display, but its usually locked down pretty tight.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 26, 2010

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

infraboy posted:

I know I should ask in maybe another thread but what are the most worthwhile free ebooks and non free ones for someone who enjoys fiction/scifi/fantasy?

For non-free, start with Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, then come join the rest of us in the Way of Kings thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3334571&pagenumber=6
(You can also talk about Mistborn there too, its kind of a BS megathread.)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

IMlemon posted:

How's the PDF support on kindle 3? I'm not that interested in buying books online but I have a stupid amount of pdfs for my studies and I'd just looooove to stuff them all in an electronic device instead of printing them out as I have to do now.

I think you might be better off with a tablet type device that has a color LCD screen, such as the Ipad or nook color. As the other poster mentioned, the pdf support is lacking things.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You'll probably have to pay a seperate charge for Kindle's version.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You can now loan Kindle books if the publisher allows it. You don't need a kindle to read the book, you can use the PC or Iphone ap instead.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200549320_find?nodeId=200549320

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Obligatory Toast posted:

I've had the same problem and I've had it for a week. :shobon:

Took me 2-3 weeks to get over this one. And I'm in the "smells the leather case" group too.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's an interesting article about ebooks and apple ipad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/technology/02apple.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Essentially Apple has determined that most people that read ebooks on the Ipad do so through the Kindle app and they buy their books from Amazon instead of Apple. It used to be the case that if your app had a "store" that sold things, Apple would take 30% of the cut. Amazon has always skirted this issue with their app because when you purchase a book, it launches a web browser and you purchase the book from their actual website instead of from within the app. Now Apple is rejecting apps that do this and requiring the app to also provide an option to purchase from within so they can get their 30% share of the purchase. Sony's ebook app was the first to get axed, most likely Amazon will get pulled soon too.

Kind of a dick move on Apple, but well within their rights I guess.

I held out getting an Ipad mostly because I wanted to wait a generation or so to see if they would improve upoon the design and offer a smaller version. Even if I did own an Ipad, I would still use my kindle for reading books on the go, the e-ink screen is far superior for reading.

But now with the Android based tablets coming out, I'll probably hold off on the Ipad. Epsecially if Apple does away with the Kindle app.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Its possible the port inside your kindle is screwed. Might need to call amazon tech support and see if they can send you a new one. People have said in there, they often do this for free, but I'm not sure.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm turning my whole life digital as much as possible. I'm tired of music cd's, dvd's, and books piling up on shelves that I'm only going to listen/read/view once or twice. I don't even mind paying $2-$4 more for a digital copy of a paperback book for these reasons. I only wish more publishers would get off their rear end and start converting their back catalogues of books into digital format. I stream movies with Netflix, buy music through Itunes, books through Kindle, and I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my FIOS TV and going internet only with them.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 11, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=13292040

quote:

J.K. Rowing's agent says the best-selling author is considering making the "Harry Potter" books available electronically.
Neil Blair, Rowling's agent, says the author is now "actively looking at all the various options" for launching the seven Harry Potter books in the e-book market.
Blair said Monday that Rowling has been watching the developing e-book market and waiting for the right moment to release her books in that format.
About 450 million copies of the Harry Potter books have been sold worldwide, Blair said.

So who is going to write the bigger check to get these exclusively, Amazon, Apple, or B&Noble? I suppose they could come out for all formats, but with tons of money at stake I won't be surprised to see somebody pay for the rights. Didn't Apple write a huge check to get The Beatles on Itunes exclusively?

Either way, her physical book sales must finally be hitting a plateau for her to consider the ebook market after having held out this long.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Is there any perk to the 3G Kindle besides downloading books from Amazon when I'm not at home?

Most people (myself included) feel that the free internet browser with no data cap is a nice perk. I ride the train for an hour each way to work and its nice to check news websites, email, etc, for free. The big tradeoff is that the browser is clunky at times and flat out wont load media intensive pages. Turning off pictures helps a lot, but it mostly depends on where you want to browse.

Plus I love being able to instantly buy a book when I finish reading one, especially if its a series with like 10-12 books. Most books have a nice feature that when you read the last page, it will list other books to buy from the author including the next one in the series.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Would anybody pay $50 for an ad-supported kindle that displayed a full page ad every 100 pages or so that you read? Lets say that you could press the page flip button and immediately skip through it when it came up.

What if it was a $30 kindle but had an ad every 50 pages?
How about FREE but it displayed an ad every 20 pages? (But you have to immediately purchase a book or two in order to get it for free.)

I got to thinking about this the other day and wondered how cheap they would have to make it in order for me to put up with an ad showing up in the middle of my reading. We see ads all the time as we browse the web and ignore them, would we be able to do the same in the middle of reading a book? Would a cheaper price on the kindle offset that anoyance for you? I'm really not sure, I would have to test it out for a week or so to see. It may not bother me at all to immediately skip through the ad page to continue the story. Because of the e-ink screen, its not like they could have crazy strobe-effect ads blinking in your face to claim your free IPAD now!!!

As for the current ad-supported kindle, I would't pay more than a $100 for it regardless of where the ads show up.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 13, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

"We are not interested in doing anything that interrupts the reading experience," said Russ Grandinetti, vice president of Kindle content at Amazon.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383446,00.asp

Well I guess that answers that. I suppose that they could change their minds later.

As far as letting Amazon put ads in my kindle to earn store credit, I could be tempted to do that, but it would have to be more than $25 a year. I'd want at least $100 a year or $7-$8 every month, and I would only accept the ads if they were on the screensaver or home page.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is there anything else cool I can do after the screensaver thing? Maybe instal Tetris?

I'm suddenly having flashbacks of playing games on my old TI-89 graphing calculator back in high school...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's something interesting.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1383903/PaperPhone-The-smartphone-paper-shape-pocket.html

Its a prototype for a smartphone that uses a flexible paper like E-INK display. I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody make an E-reader out of this technology, though I'm honestly not sure I'd be sold. I like the solid sleek feel of my current Kindle, but it would be interesting to see what Amazon would do if they get ahold of this technolgy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I never read Piers Anthoy's Bio of Space Tyrant books until I saw them available in the kindle store last month. They were legible, but filled with bad paragraph breaks, missing dialogue quotations ["], and spelling issues. It was clearly a poo poo job, whoever did the scan.

By the way, don't read these books ever. Its like watching a bad train wreck, you can't look away.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MegaCharger posted:

Bought a kindle 3 with the special offers. The ads aren't at all obtrusive and I'm loving it.

Your not the only one, guess what took the number one spot on Amazon's bestselling electronics list.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics?tag=vglnk-c43-20

They'll never do it, but I would love to see the sales numbers for its kindle.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Most people that have called Amazon tech support usually end up getting a brand new kindle over-nighted to them the next day. You might be waiting for months before the battery dies.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The K3 screen is way better than a K2 screen and makes it worth the extra money. Also you can get it in secksy black instead of IPOD white.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

On Amazon they're currently listing at $110 used, $120 refurb.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Device-Display/dp/B0015T963C/

It would have to be under $100 for me to consider getting it, otherwise the $80 or so more that a K3 3G costs is worth it.

For me at least.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jigsaw posted:

So what's the current status of rumors regarding a Kindle 4? I can't seem to find it now, but there was an article I read about how Amazon had contracted with a Chinese company to make something like color e-ink screens for a new Kindle, supposedly for Q2-Q4 2011.

The reason I ask is that my birthday's coming up, and I want to know if I should see about getting a Kindle 3, or if I should just wait for the new improved version.

Its probably going to be a tablet and have a 7 inch LCD screen, should be out by Christmas.

Supposedly there is technology coming out that allows for a toggle between a nice e-ink screen for reading and a color LCD screen for everything else, but the tech isn't going to be ready untill 2012-2013. Amazon didn't want to wait for it, so they are going with regular LCD for their tablet.

Heres more info:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/228523/amazon_tablet_why_its_a_big_deal.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385684,00.asp

quote:

My sources in Taipei say that the actual product is set to debut in time for the holidays and that the device will use a display similar to the one in the Nook and the Galaxy Tab. They also tell me that the original RFQ wanted a screen that could switch between an easy-to-read black and white E Ink-like display and a color LCD, but that this type of screen, which is already in the works by at least two vendors, will not be ready for the market until at least 2012 or early 2013. So Amazon was forced to use a 10-inch screen that was available now, which is LCD-based. It will also reportedly have a 7-inch model. And I am hearing it will sport a new version of Nvidia's Tegra quad-core chip and will be using Android as its OS.

If all of this turns out to be true, I will not be getting their first gen tablet and instead wait for the one that can switch between e-ink and LCD.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 24, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I would buy the poo poo out of that.

Agreed, I don't care about the price either. I want a nice 7 inch tablet with Android app store compatability, and be able to switch to e-ink for reading. How they can pull this off I'm not sure. I suppose the LCD screen would be the base, and the e ink would sit on top of it and be transparent when not in use.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Contra Duck posted:

Does anyone have any experience with putting multiple Kindles on the one account? My sister's just bought one and I'd like to be able to share my library with her and vice versa. Are there any downsides to doing this apart from the whole "someone else could theoretically use my CC" angle?

The biggest thing you want to make sure of when you do this is to name each kindle with something unique. (example: John's Kindle ; Jane's Kindle) Otherwise its no big deal, me and my wife both have a seperate kindle linked to one amazon account. You can manage both of them from the kindle website.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I get a kindle with ads, can I remove them and/or do the screensaver hack?

When you go online to download books, it removes the hacks and restores the ads from what we've been told. (Somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread, I can't find where.)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anjow posted:

Is there a physical difference between the Kindle 3 wifi and 3G? I am looking at cases on ebay and they all say 3G but mine is wifi. Is this irrelevant?

Yes, they are the same form factor. Any case should work fine for both versions.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Amazon Kindle 3G with ads is now brought to you by AT&T and consequently has droped the price down to $139.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/07/amazon-cuts-price-on-kindle-3g-with-special-offers-to-139-with-att-advertisments.html

Essentially AT&T bought up most of the ad space on the device and Amazon can now lower its price accordingly.

Let the price wars begin, I'll bet they drop even lower come Christmas.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Drunk Tomato posted:

Nice. I wonder if they'll drop the Wi-fi w/ ads to.... under $100?? Because then that becomes an instant purchase.

The article mentions that Kindle owners that have the 3G version buy 20% more books than those who have the WiFi. My guess is they will leave the wifi version at its current price and try to lure those on the fence into getting a 3G version in the hopes they will buy more books.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

edit: somebody posted my advice 5 posts up

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 15, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spug posted:

This is why I have the gray (Graphite) Kindle. The contrast almost makes the screen look white.

The commuter train I ride to work every day is always a good litmus test of what gadgets people are buying. I've seen at least 10 different people with the graphite Kindle 3 and nobody with the white version.

I used to see a few Nook colors, but lately most have been Kindles and Ipads.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ingram posted:

GRRM by the looks of the writing. He has a way of writing that's easy to spot.

Amirite?

Usually this is where the lemoncake and rape jokes go.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

With Amazon releasing its tablet in a few months, I doubt they would launch a new e-ink kindle for a while. Unless they go with a color e-ink screen, I really don't see how Amazon can improve the current kindle, I say buy it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Is there any homebrew floating around out there for the kindle? I'm thinking it would make a rather neat planner/organizer (nothing too fancy), and it would be nice to not have to lug another book to college.

You might want to ask in the gadget forum thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3366619&pagenumber=95#pti39

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jimbola posted:

Wait, are you guys saying that putting a kindle into sleep mode doesn't drain the battery any faster than switching it off?

I've been turning it off by holding the switch for ages since I bought it...

It will go to sleep mode automatically after 5 mins of inactivity. You never need to turn it off really.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yes, just about all of us get the official amazon kindle case. The only question to ask yourself is whether the light is worth the extra money or not. I don't use the kindle in the dark to read, so I got the normal case.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

dont eat a carb posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Amazon changed the design on the official cover... the band got moved closer to the edge. I don't like it.

Now I'm really, really glad I have the old lit cover.

If anybody wants the older one, go to target or best buy, I bet they still have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Welp, it happened. My Kindle 3 screen screwed up - time to get a replacement! Its going to be a hard month without my Kindle :'(

Can anybody recommend a sweet screen protector?

Why would you have to wait a month? Call Amazon and they'll ship you a brand new one for free as long as you return the busted one in the same packaging. Shouldn't take more than a few days from what others have posted in here.

• Locked thread