Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, it's just a personal quirk that I started thinking about recently, but I probably came off as a douchebag with that post. I doubt that content creators care all that much since used media brings in new fans and makes it possible to get things that are out of print.

I don't want to be part of a huge derail but when I saw this quoted below I had to comment anyway. I'm a content creator, Video Games specifically. When I see the number of studios who do good work but just don't sell enough and have to close after releasing a game (or even before sometimes.) and then see Game Stop have another record quarter with a huge percent of their revenue from their used sales, it gets to me.

Now this isn't quite analogous to eBooks mostly because there isn't one huge chain that makes up the used book sales, but your wording of content creators struck a slight nerve.

De-Rail over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just wish it didn't copy a ebook to a new file folder instead of moving it. what ends up happening when you scan your library it's like "oh i found duplicates" and if you add them you now have the original, the duplicate, and the copy of the duplicate. every time you do it it tries to do this instead of just refreshing and going "here's some new files you didn't have before boss!"

otherwise you have to go through each and every folder and go "delete this copy, delete this copy, delete this copy..." instead of merging it all into the same folder and you delete it through the program

I'm not sure what you mean here, but in preferences you can set the policy on adding a book to merge it with an existing record or not, including whether to overwrite an existing file of the same format.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I mean when adding new books to the library (like from one folder) it should be either:

- You already have this book, skip it?
or
- You already have this book, here's what the two look like (shows file size and like a page from the book) Delete/merge/skip?

on a book by book basis instead of a report at the end.

I personally hate having modal dialogs during a bulk operation but that's just me.

You can do the first already through the config options, you can do the 2nd just with a default answer. So yah not quite what you're looking for, but you can also simulate what you're looking for with the duplicates plugin and a few minutes of work. And you get to do it post importing so that you don't go 15 seconds of waiting, input, 30 seconds waiting, input, 20 seconds waiting, input, etc...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Thank gently caress. There's no worse sentence than "This price set by the publisher". I really want to buy some more PK Dick books, but I also don't want to pay 10 bucks for something that's 200ish pages. I hate the higher than paperback prices.

That may mean absolutely nothing or rather less to nothing. Assume they win that injunction the publishers are free to set the 'wholesale' price to amazon at $9 and it'd be up to amazon to decide the 'retail' price from that. Meanwhile the Apple store will be selling it for :10bux:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Do any of the e-readers sync where you were reading with a side loaded book? Particularly to PC and android apps?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

commish posted:

I'm a bit tired of people complaining about the prices of ebooks. It's simple supply and demand. Why would a publisher charge $5 for an ebook when people are buying it at $10?

Supply and demand eh? What's the supply of those bits? What's the incremental cost to manufacturer that 1000th e-book?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Bandwidth, digital marketing, and everything else aren't free, but the priciest part is the conversion. That poo poo ain't cheap, and major publishing houses are hiring new employees and even new departments across the board. They have to get that money from somewhere. In a few years, when they pretty much catch up with backlist and streamline their frontlist processes, we should see prices drop.

How exactly does the conversion affect the incremental cost of the 1000th book? That's a sunk cost from the first book. I still don't see what the 'Supply' of an electronic book is that costs a billionth of a penny to replicate.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sperg Victorious posted:

I could see why the extra costs might adjust the wholesale price, but the major publishers don't sell books that way. They force retailers to sell the same books at the same price, with everyone getting the same percentage cuts. I don't see why that pricing model is a result of added costs on ebooks.

My posts were in response to Anne Whateley assertion that the costs of an eBook are due to supply and demand, and I'm asking how does supply of bits fit into the discussion. Supply and demand can fit into the sale of an automobile, you need X number of people to assemble it, you need Y tons of steel to produce it, the difference between making 1000 eBooks and 1001 eBooks isn't measurable. That's all I was getting at. And I'll end the de-rail here. Go favorite eBook Reader!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Has anybody tried rooting their Nook Simple Touch? I'm going to do this tonight: http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps

Yep, it's pretty much that easy with just two caveats:

1) You need to grab the app market search, there's something about the latest market place app and z-ordering that makes it so you can't use the standard search right with eInk.
2) Aldiko works, but not the most recent version of Aldiko, you need to download from the Aldiko site one of the previous apks and use adb to install it.

What I did was remapped the 4 hardware problems to be:

Back | Menu
Volumen Down | Volume Up

And then told Aldiko to use volume as page turners.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

About to try in a bit.

I'm confused though... volume down / up? The NST has no audio.

There's an app that comes with the android image that let's you remap the physical keys on the NST (left-upper, left-lower, right-upper, right-lower, N) to other keys that the android SDK thinks are hardware keys, such as volume-up and volume-down. If you map the NST keys to vol up / vol down then you can use them as page advance, page backwards in aldiko, as otherwise Aldiko has no idea wtf page next / page back is. It's merely a convenience but one that I love.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

wheatpuppy posted:

I think they're going to be released in the next few days. They're supposed to have display models in-store already but my local B&N didn't have them for some reason. I still have a first-generation Nook, so I'm eyeing the $99 Simple Touch as a replacement just because it's tiny in comparison to my brick. I never use the web browser anyway so I won't miss it.

You can also get refurbed Nooks from B&N often from between $20 and $59. I got mine for $20 and think it's worth every penny.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I can't think of what would be a better place.

I'd like to purchase a book from Packt Publishing however I see the same book is cheaper for the kindle edition If I got the Kindle Edition would it just be a .mobi or would I also get the .pdf that I'd get from the publisher? I like reading Technical E-Books on big monitors in pdf format but also like saving a few bucks.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SB35 posted:

Possible Kindle Paperwhite for $44 amazon promo. Check out this slickdeals link and see if you qualify for the promo.

Shouldn't there be a product refresh coming? I was seriously thinking about getting it but figure to just wait for new model instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Fremry posted:

Reports from last November are that Amazon's next Kindle will have a proprietary font made just for it.

Of course Q2 ends in 9 days and still no sign of it.

• Locked thread