Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
This thread is for the general discussion of all things Mustang. Whether you have a vintage Mustang, a Fox body, or the new DOHC 5.0 hotness, this is the place to ask questions, post your super sick kill stories, or show off pictures of your new Cobra R wheels.

History

If you don’t know the entire history of the Mustang, read the Wikipedia page for a very good accounting of the history of the car.

General Information

First off, no one in the Mustang community refers to these cars by generation. If you post on a Mustang message board or go up to someone at a car show and talk about your sweet 5th gen Mustang they are going to make fun of you and/or call you a ricer. Mustang generations are referenced by their platform name or number if they were made after 1978, or their exact year if made before 1979.

It breaks down like this:

1964.5 to 1978: use exact year
1979 to 1993: Fox body
1994 to 1998: SN95
1999 to 2004: New Edge
2005 to present: S197

Forums

Mustang forums, as a rule, are cesspools to be avoided at all costs. As with any rule there are exceptions. There is one hard and fast rule of Mustang forums, never, ever enter into the off-topic chat area of the website. You do not stray from the tech or classified sections lest you lose your sanity and faith in humanity. Don’t even do it just to troll unless you’re trying to refine some high level trolling techniques because these people will eat up every last thing you say as if you believe it 100%. You’re not a good troll just because you trolled a Mustang forum. In fact, you’re probably a lovely one.

The decent Mustang forums out there are:
  1. Modular Fords
  2. Modular Revolution
  3. The Corral
  4. SVT Performance
  5. The Vintage Mustang Forums
That’s it. There are no other worthwhile Mustang websites.
The first two are modular engine (factory engine in 1996 to current Mustangs) specific, but most people into Mustangs have played with their share of Windsor pushrod engines.
The third and fourth are really only useful for their classified sections. Use SVT Performance for SVT specific vehicles and parts, and the Corral for everything else.
The Vintage Mustang Forums are your go to place for 1964.5 to 1978 Mustang knowledge. If they don't know the answer, no one does.

The Corral is the Mustang equivalent of slashdot.org for IT. Most people in IT read a bunch of different IT websites and blogs, but all people in IT read Slashdot. The Corral is the same way in regards to classifieds since people will post their ads on a bunch of different websites, but everyone cross posts their ads to the Corral. Think of it like a craigslist aggregator for Mustangs and Mustang parts.

More information will be added to this post as I think of it or as it is brought up in the thread.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

FAQ

Error code PO340:
Effects the New Edge vehicles, especially '02 to '04. If you get a check engine light (CEL) and the code comes out PO340, which is a "Cam Shaft Position Sensor" fault code, replace your alternator. 99.95% of the time the problem is with the alternator and not the cam shaft position sensor.

Spark plugs ejecting out of the head:
If you've heard of someone that has had a problem with spark plugs ejecting out of the head, more than likely they are using NGK plugs. The problem with the NGK application for the Mustang is that they allow a few threads from the body of the plug to be exposed into the cylinder head. Once those steel threads start heating up they will melt the aluminum head around them. Eventually enough aluminum melts away so as to allow the spark plug to be forcefully ejected from the head. The solution is to not use NGK plugs in your modular engine.

I want to buy exhaust stuff!

frozenphil posted:

If you're buying exhaust stuff, especially Magnaflow stuff, go to http://www.performancepeddler.com/ and click "Log In" up top. Then, under "Wholesale Log In", enter clubgp. Congrats! That $860 cat-back is now $560.

placeholder: I'll add more stuff to this as it is brought up in the thread or as I think of it/come across it

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 13, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

General Information

First off, no one in the Mustang community refers to these cars by generation. If you post on a Mustang message board or go up to someone at a car show and talk about your sweet 5th gen Mustang they are going to make fun of you and/or call you a ricer. Mustang generations are referenced by their platform name or number if they were made after 1978, or their exact year if made before 1979.

It breaks down like this:

1964.5 to 1978: use exact year
1979 to 1993: Fox body
1994 to 1998: SN95
1999 to 2004: New Edge
2005 to present: S197

One thing that always confused me is these designations don't account for the motor changes (among other small changes, but motor is obviously a big one). Like how the SN95s switched from 302s to 4.6, and how the S197 is switching from 4.6 to 5.0. Is there another way to do that, or do you go back to year?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

One thing that always confused me is these designations don't account for the motor changes (among other small changes, but motor is obviously a big one). Like how the SN95s switched from 302s to 4.6, and how the S197 is switching from 4.6 to 5.0. Is there another way to do that, or do you go back to year?

Honestly, most people just refer to the specific year. I've seen people say SN95 with a 302 or whatever, but to me it's just easier to say '94 Mustang GT.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

frozenphil posted:

Honestly, most people just refer to the specific year. I've seen people say SN95 with a 302 or whatever, but to me it's just easier to say '94 Mustang GT.

If you have an SN95 everyone assumes it is a 4.6 because they are stupid.

Also, this is the most bad-rear end SN95 you could get

Saleen S351

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Thanks for making me rage by reminding me of the "gotta-have-it" test.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I'm glad you made this thread. I've been wanting to learn more about Mustangs, but, at least two of the forums I visited limited the number of pages you could read to about 20 before forcing you to sign up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Start reading these two magazines. Lots of content online as well.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/index.html

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

If you have an SN95 everyone assumes it is a 4.6 because they are stupid.

Also, this is the most bad-rear end SN95 you could get

Saleen S351

The Super Stallion was the most badass SN95 you couldn't get.

oRenj9 posted:

I'm glad you made this thread. I've been wanting to learn more about Mustangs, but, at least two of the forums I visited limited the number of pages you could read to about 20 before forcing you to sign up.

Stay far, far away from any Mustang site I didn't link. They're basically a right wing FYAD except they are never accidentally funny.

I should probably throw a link to the vintage mustang forum up there too. Horrible website, but those people are loving scary with their Mustang knowledge. Need to know what thread pitch the center console carpet trim screw was? They know.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 16, 2010

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink
Anyone know how long builds are taking on the new GT's?
I cant flippin wait! I will go out of my mind if I watch the summer go by without this car.

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Boy's have penises and girls have vaginas

Bob Morales posted:

Start reading these two magazines. Lots of content online as well.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/index.html

I reeive both of those. Just be prepared for 100 pages of shiny color ads for ugly body kits/cheap headers, and maybe 15 pages of actual tech and features that are something other than a Fox Body with a non-intercooled Vortech on it.

I've spent some time on the Corral classified forums. Lots of good stuff on there, but be prepared to wade through a bunch of junk and used aftermarket parts that the sellers are asking new prices for.

With that said, I am very excited about the 2011 GT. I had a 1999 GT a couple of years ago, but it was balls slow and felt extremely cheap. Still somewhat fun to drive, but not really what I wanted so I sold it. I've been driving a 2004 E55 for about a year and a half now, and after seeing the 2011 GT I'm about ready to sell the Benz and get back into a Mustang. It won't be as quick or fast as the E, but I bet it's a hell of a lot more fun to drive every day. I've got the July MMFF in front of me, and they got their STOCK 2011 GT to run a 12.342 @ 110.77 mph(with slicks), so it is definitely no slouch.

Plus I like to mod, and I know what Mustang parts cost. I will never again bitch about a $600 set of headers or a $200 throttle body after owning the E(E55 longtubes are $2,300 to $3,999, TB's are $1,000 to $2,000, pulleys for a couple more pounds of boost are $1,000, and a tune is $800 to $1,500 for a box tune).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's not forget a V10 New Edge concept/project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub6DlVHWxPM

And the 429-powered Boss that beat the Camaro ZL1 packing a 572 big-block.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

AtomicBomber posted:

I cant flippin wait! I will go out of my mind if I watch the summer go by without this car.

Initially cars were held up due to some issue, but Ford hasn't said what it was yet. Some say it was an issue with the Synch radios, some say a transmission issue. All we do know is it affected cars with and without Synch, and with either automatic or manual transmissions. Because of that we don't really have any good idea of just how long it will take to get your car. You could get it in a few weeks, or it could be a few months.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I wonder how many people bought new Mustangs because of the last thread? Hell, I want one and I've got no money or anywhere to put it right now but it seems almost too excellent to NOT buy it.
You should be getting some serious bird dog cash from Ford Phil.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

AtomicBomber posted:

my cousin ordered one custom built beginning of may. he got it the beginning of july. so 8 weeks.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Meathole posted:

It won't be as quick or fast as the E, but I bet it's a hell of a lot more fun to drive every day. I've got the July MMFF in front of me, and they got their STOCK 2011 GT to run a 12.342 @ 110.77 mph(with slicks), so it is definitely no slouch.

What exactly indicates to you that the mustang gt is slower in any category than the E55?

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Omegaslast posted:

What exactly indicates to you that the mustang gt is slower in any category than the E55?
Go drive a Mustang and then go drive an E55. Tell me what you think.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Nait Sirhc posted:

I'm seeing mid 12s for the E55 on average. That sound right? If so, that's the exact same as the 2011 Mustang GT.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Nait Sirhc posted:

I'm sure your 4200lb 469hp car is like eighteen leagues faster than a 3500lb 412hp car.

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
SHUT THE gently caress UP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 16, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 16, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shut up about cars that aren't Mustangs

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am interested in a SN95 302 convertible. I live in the rust belt and I am wondering if I am in for a world of pain if I buy one locally. How well do these guys stand up to corrosion?

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 16, 2010

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So anyone who's been paying attention the to the last thread knows I'm in the market for a Mustang and I'm probably going to buy one regardless of what people say but I could use the help.

First of all, I live up in Boston so I'm curious if anyone else has driven a car like that up here in the winters. For the record in college I drove a 94 Camaro to and from work every day in some really lovely conditions on all seasons. I'm not pretending the new 5.0 will be a great winter car I'm just wondering if traction control and good tires will make the car livable if I have drive. What kind of snow tires to people throw on their Mustangs. I commute to work by bus so it's not a huge deal either way.

I can't decide if I want the 3.73's or not. I don't really think I need gearing that aggressive. The motor just seems like it has a ton of power anyway and my biggest complaint about my current car is it revs too high on the highway. It's really the only thing I care about since the vast majority of my driving now is highway driving on the weekends. I know the difference isn't huge between all 3 rears but I'm curious.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

kronix posted:

First of all, I live up in Boston so I'm curious if anyone else has driven a car like that up here in the winters. For the record in college I drove a 94 Camaro to and from work every day in some really lovely conditions on all seasons. I'm not pretending the new 5.0 will be a great winter car I'm just wondering if traction control and good tires will make the car livable if I have drive. What kind of snow tires to people throw on their Mustangs. I commute to work by bus so it's not a huge deal either way.

I've been DD'ing a GTO in the greater Boston area (Foxboro to Burlington for a commute) for 3 years now, and before that a 540i and before that an M3. I've been running nothing but Dunlop Wintersport M3s for snow tires and the only place I've ever gotten stuck is my own un-plowed driveway. I can usually get 2-3 seasons out of a set, which is about 20k miles. Get a second set of cheap rims and you're good to go.

I admit complete ignorance on the Mustang diff (because I'll end up lusting after one and can't afford it) but the key for the GTO and the M3 is the limited slip rear. Decent snows and an LSD will get you through nearly anything. The 540i didn't have an LSD, but the traction control was light-years ahead of the GTO (frankly the TC in the GTO does more harm than good).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any kind of snow tires will do just fine. I do not suggest driving without them.

3.73? Sure why not. If you don't do long distances on the highway, get 4.10's. Sure, you have to shift 3 times just to cross the road but it's fun.

I turned the TC off on my Mustang GT and my GTO in the winter with snows. Why let it interfere when you can "steer with the rear"

Also "don't fear the gear"

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
I drove my Z/28 for 4 Chicago winters with a set of cheap Winterforce snow tires. It drove perfectly fine. I drove my E last winter with a nice set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on it. It also drove fine. However, the key to driving a RWD car in winter is not just snow tires, but also weight. Throwing 180 lbs of sand bags in the Camaro's hatch gave me a ridiculous amount of straight-line traction over just having the snow tires. For comparison's sake, I once tried to move my Mustang with 315mm Summer tires around the driveway in 2 inches of snow. After about 10 minutes I gave up and just left it where it was sitting.

I will also warn you that traction control can not magically create traction out of thin air, but it will lessen the chance of you losing control. I don't know if the new Mustang has ESP(it'll be mandatory next year anyways), but if it does that system can be a lifesaver.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I am interested in a SN95 302 convertible. I live in the rust belt and I am wondering if I am in for a world of pain if I buy one locally. How well do these guys stand up to corrosion?

You have to take it case by case. Some cars live in lovely conditions and never rust, some live in the desert and rot away.

kronix posted:

First of all, I live up in Boston so I'm curious if anyone else has driven a car like that up here in the winters.

A friend daily drove a '94 v6 Mustang when I was stationed in Alaska. He nor I never had a problem with it. I don't know what the latest and greatest snow tire is, but he had Blizzaks on his car.

quote:

I can't decide if I want the 3.73's or not.

3.73s will put you somewhere around 2500RPM at 75mph. The modular engines love their RPMs, so don't fear the gear.

mungtor posted:

I admit complete ignorance on the Mustang diff (because I'll end up lusting after one and can't afford it) but the key for the GTO and the M3 is the limited slip rear.

If it's a Mustang made after 1996 with a v8, it has an LSD. All 2011 Mustangs, v8 and v6, have an LSD.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Any kind of snow tires will do just fine. I do not suggest driving without them.

3.73? Sure why not. If you don't do long distances on the highway, get 4.10's. Sure, you have to shift 3 times just to cross the road but it's fun.

I turned the TC off on my Mustang GT and my GTO in the winter with snows. Why let it interfere when you can "steer with the rear"

Also "don't fear the gear"

That's about all of the driving I do. I live out the outskirts of the city so I don't do a ton of driving locally. I have a 2006 scion tc that drones along at about 3500rpm at ~80 and I can't stand it for long drives. Most of my driving is highway driving to visit friends outside the city and family.

Meathole posted:

I will also warn you that traction control can not magically create traction out of thin air, but it will lessen the chance of you losing control. I don't know if the new Mustang has ESP(it'll be mandatory next year anyways), but if it does that system can be a lifesaver.

I get that it won't create traction out of thin air but it's nice to have especially going up slippery hills where it's really hard to tell. None of this is a huge deal, my fiance has a Mazda3 so it'd not like the mustang is going to do hardcore winter duty. My Camaro with 0 electronic goodies was doable so I was wondering what the new stuff would be like. Plus the Mustang has a ton more horsepower.

Also I just got an offer for 34k on a new GT premium with the 19 inch wheels the the 3.55 rear and I'd be ordering it. I asked for 32k, am I crazy thinking I can get it for 32k?

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
And some of you are the same ones who like to bitch about "those spreging aspie sperglords sperging out in GBS"

Post about Mustangs (you may have noticed the thread title) or shut the gently caress up.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

What do you guys think a 2011 GT premium might go for in 2-4 years? They're, what, $33k new?

I'm hoping one with low miles, in good condition will go for like $17k.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

johnny sack posted:

What do you guys think a 2011 GT premium might go for in 2-4 years? They're, what, $33k new?

I'm hoping one with low miles, in good condition will go for like $17k.

That's possible. I'd say $20k is more reasonable for just 2 or 3 years later though.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Sweet a reason to post a pic of my mustang!

its got standard bolt-ons, aftermarket exhaust, and 3.73 gears, and lowering kit.

The sn95 and new edge mustang, have serious suspension issues. If you buy one, consider getting full length subframe connectors and anything else that can stiffen your car. The solid axle with aftermarket lower control arms, panhard bar, aftermarket springs,struts,shocks, and a torque arm will give serious European corner carvers like Audi, Porsche, and BMW a run for the money.

The 4.6 Mod motors, don't produce a lot of power. In stock form with after market bolt on's you probably wont be breaking the 300hp mark. However the 4.6 motor can make serious power if you are willing to spend some money. stroking a motor can get you to the 5.0 mark, after market heads and cams, and long tube headers will defintely get you into the 300hp world. a cheap supercharger will get you to the 360 to 410hp mark.

Once the car is at 400hp with a stock block it is not recommended to go much higher. After market crank, pistons, and anything else to strengthen the motor with all those bolt on will get you into the 500 to 600hp game.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Nice looking New edge, I was thinking about those wheels in black but I think I will either go with the cobra replicas in 17x9 and 17x10.5 or the black GT500 wheels. Everyone should whore out thier stangs in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

Nice looking New edge, I was thinking about those wheels in black but I think I will either go with the cobra replicas in 17x9 and 17x10.5 or the black GT500 wheels. Everyone should whore out thier stangs in this thread!

For the love of God, please don't get the same kind of drat wheels as everyone else in the Mustang community. I just can't fathom why everyone who drives a Mustang has this burning desire to buy the same kind of wheels as everyone else with a Mustang. There are dozens of wheel manufacturers out there. A few of them even make good looking wheels that will fit your Mustang. Break the cycle that Mustang owners have fallen into and buy something unique.

I don't mean to single you out, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves with Mustang owners.