Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The best aftermarket rims on a Mustang? Weld wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Devyl posted:

The best aftermarket rims on a Mustang? Weld wheels.

Until you hit even a small pothole.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Bob Morales posted:

Until you hit even a small pothole.

There shouldn't be any potholes on the 1/4 mile dragstrip :911:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just saw a 5.0 on the way home, in Grabber Blue.

Goddamn they look good. Shame it was on the freeway with no opportunity to goad the driver into an acceleration test.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just saw a 5.0 on the way home, in Grabber Blue.

Goddamn they look good. Shame it was on the freeway with no opportunity to goad the driver into an acceleration test.

This color?

I don't like it. Must be a Ford thing, because some people go nuts over it. My dad used to like this Torino a guy in our town had that was a similar color, he called it 'project blue'.

I can't get over the rear end end of the Mustang (same with the 2005+ cars), it's too big and makes the rear tires look tiny, even when they are 19" wheels with 315 tires.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did we have the LS1 vs 5.0 video in the last thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2fo3KHupBM

(fast forward to 2:00, past the AC/DC and open-hood shots)

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn
I desperately want to make love to this thread...

That Grabber Blue is so freaking sexy. There's one sitting for sale at the Ford dealership that sits right next to my freaking office. The temptation to go down there every time I look out my window kills me.

Speaking of exhaust note...That's the only thing I'm not wild about with the new ones. It just doesn't have the same Mustang sound to it. Suppose that could be changed with a nice set of long tubes, off road h pipe, and proper set of mufflers.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I like Grabber blue as well. I hope they come out with a yellow or orange sometime in the future.

I think it is very much a Ford thing. Not just in the States, but in Europe as well. There is something that I find very cool about a fast Ford in a crazy color. I think it might be because it is one of the few ways to purchase a truly outlandish car without buying a supercar.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
The grabber blue didn't win me over until I saw one in person. The pics just don't quite do it justice.

I want one so bad...there's just no way I'll be able to afford one anytime soon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, that's the color - or a weak approximation of it, it just does not photograph properly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Faceless Clock posted:

I like Grabber blue as well. I hope they come out with a yellow or orange sometime in the future.

I think it is very much a Ford thing. Not just in the States, but in Europe as well. There is something that I find very cool about a fast Ford in a crazy color. I think it might be because it is one of the few ways to purchase a truly outlandish car without buying a supercar.

yellow blaze metallic tri-coat is available this year, it's another color that looks much better in person. the wide range of colors it shows up as in photography really demonstrates it.

it's the same yellow on the new fiesta.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Cavepimp posted:

The grabber blue didn't win me over until I saw one in person. The pics just don't quite do it justice.

I want one so bad...there's just no way I'll be able to afford one anytime soon.

I agree. The same goes with Leguna Seca blue. It tends to photograph poorly, but when you see it in person, it's simply amazing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Devyl posted:

I agree. The same goes with Leguna Seca blue. It tends to photograph poorly, but when you see it in person, it's simply amazing.

Which is crazy because on anything but a car id hate that drat color. Id murder for a 2011 grabber blue gt
:(

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Grabber Blue really is striking in person. It almost looks like it is glowing ever so slightly. It's a great color, but I think I'd get tired of it after a while.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Devyl posted:

Yeah, the grabber blue tends to look flat and too much like a sky blue in the pictures. In person it's drat near neon and it seems like it shouldn't even be possible to create that color with paint on a car.

That yellow looks interesting too. The first pic looks close to my 2001's yellow (which they messed up, heading too far orange in later years). Now I want to see one of those in person too.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Powershift posted:

yellow blaze metallic tri-coat is available this year, it's another color that looks much better in person. the wide range of colors it shows up as in photography really demonstrates it.

it's the same yellow on the new fiesta.

I actually saw that color on a Fiesta at a auto show. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. It has a nice shimmer to it as lighting conditions change, but it seemed to lack real punch.

With that said, the lighting at the show as kind of poo poo (it was Portland, our auto show is absolute crap) and it might look different in real sunlight.

DoomCenturion
Aug 4, 2007

drat space alien demons killed my rabbit

Bandire posted:

Grabber Blue really is striking in person. It almost looks like it is glowing ever so slightly. It's a great color, but I think I'd get tired of it after a while.

I've owned a grabber blue mustang for a year now, and every time I see it, I love it. This is the first car I have ever had that I do not mind hand washing at all because it is so awesome.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Devyl posted:

That seems to be a growing trend in automotive design in general at the moment, with things looking far better in the metal than in pics.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Faceless Clock posted:

I actually saw that color on a Fiesta at a auto show. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. It has a nice shimmer to it as lighting conditions change, but it seemed to lack real punch.

With that said, the lighting at the show as kind of poo poo (it was Portland, our auto show is absolute crap) and it might look different in real sunlight.

This picture is the closest I could find to how the color really looks under normal lighting.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I just want to chime in and show my love for Grabber Blue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What the gently caress

It's like a Camaro SS and a Mustang hosed

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:clint:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What the gently caress

It's like a Camaro SS and a Mustang hosed
That car did 22xmph at Bonneville, he can paint it however he wants. Vitoman's Cobra was the first modern Mustang to popularize that color scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRRi_GW54o

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Bob Morales posted:

This color?

Oh My GOD, that color is loving AMAZING. It seems to almost GLOW in low light, it's so awesome.

Also, I agree with you on the rear end-end of the car. Even since the '05s came out I've felt that the rear end was just too large and too tall and looked out of place. The '11s so look improved, but I still have that same feeling.

Wouldn't stop me form buying one, however :)

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 21, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

frozenphil posted:

That car did 22xmph at Bonneville, he can paint it however he wants.

It would be like painting a Camaro 'grabber blue'

BITBY
May 6, 2007

I signed the papers on a 2011 V-6 automatic a few weeks ago. This was my first new car purchase in life, I was so happy. Black on black base model, spoiler/decal delete, 8.2 miles on odometer. I was proud to hand them a cashiers check for the entire purchase of the car, tax and title. They handed me the keys and shook my hand.

Then things started to go wrong:

-Distinct whine in an idler pulley. I left the dealer that day in an Enterprise special metallic gray Ford Focus sedan.

-100 miles: Back to the dealer. Dealer was hesitant to acknowledge my complaint of driveshaft play during test drive, despite clicking from rear end which could be felt and heard when leaving a stop; I demanded access to lift to visually demonstrate almost a full inch of play at driveshaft yoke. Rear driveshaft yoke replaced under warranty, no clicking.

-almost 300 miles: Its getting fun:
- approaching a stop when at running temperature, the transmission will intermittently not downshift into 1st. Lightly applying throttle to leave said stop initiates downshift with a disconcerting 'thunk' as it discovers 1st. Placing transmission into the '1' gate does send it into 1st at a stop, so that's a workaround which won't hurt anything.

-I have noticed that when using the A/C for long periods, that the engine will occasionally missfire.

I'm going to start scouring Mustang forums to see if there are any of these problems being mirrored. I'll keep updating any additional issues I encounter here for those who are looking at '11s. The dealer met me half-way and gave me a refund for my 6yr/100k warranty upgrade, but I'm a little disappointed to say the least.

e: I haven't even gone through the first tank of gas yet, so I'll let yall know how the capless fuel filler feels when I break the seal.

BITBY fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 21, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sorry you got a lemon. Every manufacturer puts out some in a production run. If it makes you feel any better, my 2003 Mustang GT has only had an alternator replaced outside of normal wear items in 108k miles.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BITBY posted:

- approaching a stop when at running temperature, the transmission will intermittently not downshift into 1st. Lightly applying throttle to leave said stop initiates downshift with a disconcerting 'thunk' as it discovers 1st. Placing transmission into the '1' gate does send it into 1st at a stop, so that's a workaround which won't hurt anything.

Most cars with a 5/6 speed auto will hold second until they've been completely stopped. Is it trying to leave a stoplight in 2nd gear?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I have around 3000km on my '11 V6 and it's given me no such problems so far. I did go for the manual, though. Sorry to hear you're having so many troubles with yours.

gently caress it's a great car. I just love driving it, even if it's only a few blocks to go to the carwash or buy groceries. Week after next, I'll be driving out to BC, so I'll get to stretch its legs on the highway a little bit.

BITBY
May 6, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Most cars with a 5/6 speed auto will hold second until they've been completely stopped. Is it trying to leave a stoplight in 2nd gear?

Occasionally, it will hold 2nd at a complete stop. Applying the throttle again to move it shifts abruptly into 1st. Makes it very interesting during rush hour on the 101 in LA.

I'm hoping that everything gets resolved in a manner which gives me a trouble free experience. I definitely love it, I had been saving up for the better part of two years anticipating this exact car, and made the purchase with the intent to keep it well beyond its 6yr warranty; bone stock until it suddenly loses its interior and grows a rollcage 6 or 7 years from now.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

BITBY posted:

e: I haven't even gone through the first tank of gas yet, so I'll let yall know how the capless fuel filler feels when I break the seal.

300+ miles out of a single tank? Not bad!

I'm getting about 15mpg in my 5.0 haha

The only things I've noticed with mine is that I hear a click or thunk when decelerating right about 2k RPM.

I've also been super spoiled by my E46 BMWs with the Harman Kardon system.. these speakers sound so flat. Decent bass, decent highs (when pushed up -- can't adjust a full EQ, just bass + trebel -- electronics package sync /w nav), but everything sounds muddy. I might get the Shelby / Kicker 6x8s as they're plug & play, but the Kicker 8" subs look so nasty with the new trim ring.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

optikalus posted:

300+ miles out of a single tank? Not bad!

I'm getting about 15mpg in my 5.0 haha

The only things I've noticed with mine is that I hear a click or thunk when decelerating right about 2k RPM.

I've also been super spoiled by my E46 BMWs with the Harman Kardon system.. these speakers sound so flat. Decent bass, decent highs (when pushed up -- can't adjust a full EQ, just bass + trebel -- electronics package sync /w nav), but everything sounds muddy. I might get the Shelby / Kicker 6x8s as they're plug & play, but the Kicker 8" subs look so nasty with the new trim ring.

My '07 has the Shaker 500 and I think it sounds awesome. I don't have lots of experience with car audio, though. My previous car ('99 forester) had the shittiest audio system on the planet.

Also, Windveil Blue is the best mustang color.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

frozenphil posted:

Sorry you got a lemon. Every manufacturer puts out some in a production run. If it makes you feel any better, my 2003 Mustang GT has only had an alternator replaced outside of normal wear items in 108k miles.
One of the worst things you can do is buy a brand new model of a car that has just been released. Like software packages, there is always issues with a .0 release of something.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Just wrote a check for a 2011 GT Premium. Black/Black with 6 speed manual and 3.73 gears. I'll be picking it up tomorrow or friday.

BITBY
May 6, 2007

That was quick.

I just spoke to the dealer, faulty TCM. I'm walking from work right now to pick her up!

Waiting for the 500-mile mark before I put the boot to it. 200 more miles to go, plan on putting a lot of those down tonight. Oh I'm excited, it feels like I'm picking it up for real this time.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Just ordered mine:

Silver GT premium with 19 inch wheels and the 3.55's. Six weeks is way too long to wait.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Anyone that feels the rear end end of the Mustang isn't pleasing to look at shouldn't have bought a Camaro in the first place :v:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I still haven't seen a new 5.0 on the road yet. Damnit people get out there and start driving them! :)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

I still haven't seen a new 5.0 on the road yet. Damnit people get out there and start driving them! :)

I've seen a bunch of the v6 versions, but no 5.0s. It's kinda weird, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I've seen a bunch of the v6 versions, but no 5.0s. It's kinda weird, really.

I just came back from dropping my car off from Anderson Ford in Clinton, IL and they were supposed to do a 5.0 GT build. Still can't get it and it was going to be a magazine car.

Also I'll probably do a full write up with videos once it's (finally) tuned and running but I am a SN95 and mod motor believer. This car was my daily driver last year until it started eating and blowing too much oil. It went in for a basic engine rebuild...

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra still using the Teksid Aluminum Block & B-Heads

No longer is it stock though.

Bored out to ~5.0L, Comp Stage 2 Blower Cams, 9.2:1 pistons, stroker kit, Procharger F1-A supercharger cog driven and intercooled, 80# injectors, Anderson Ford PMS tuned by Anderson Ford, flaming river manual steering, Aerospace Engineering breaks, Weld ProStars wheels, 28" M/T slicks, 8.50 second NHRA certified roll cage, Strange Ford 9" rear end w/ 4.10 gear ratio and spool, MMR aluminum intake (They've sold some, they're ridiculously priced. I'm fairly certain my car is the only one out there right now running with one) tuned on VP Racing Fuel 116 octane leaded race gas @ ~$20/gal (DOH!) It can still be driven on the street as well.

Its weak link right now is the Tremec TKO500 transmission which should hold it but doesn't shift worth a drat especially at the RPM needed to create full boost. Was looking into phase tooth options but ended up decided on a Liberty LSC5000 4 speed. Refusal to put an automatic in the car. Race cars have clutches not computers. :colbert:

Best part is when it was initially getting dyno tuned the kid said, "I don't think your boost gauge is working." I was pretty sure it did. About an hour later he got the car up to around 3500 RPM and it finally moved (electric gauge so there was no vacuum display.) He goes, "Hey, it works. The car doesn't even start to make boost until 4000 RPM. It's set up for ~22 psi right now with the capability to go to 38.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 22, 2010