Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hell yea Droideka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Butterfly Valley posted:

New podracing diorama:

I think this one is nice and I like the angles and scenery but I've resisted the dioramas so far so I don't think I'll be taking the plunge.
Now THIS is podracing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know creating an epic action sequence full of danger is part of the thrill of that goofball fantasy sport but I'm not sure that orange podracer could physically fit through that arch.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Butterfly Valley posted:

They're going all-in on Phantom Menace huh? There's also a new brickheadz lineup of like 6 characters on top of the recent sith interceptor.

Yes, because...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s the 25th anniversary of TPM’s release

Which means all of the kids who were introduced to the SW universe through Phantom Menace and hold a fondness for it that is neither deserved nor well understood are hitting the age where they've got disposable income.

Also: I kinda dig the cockpit on that Interceptor.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I grew up with the special editions of the original trilogy so thankfully that was, and still is, my predominant star wars love. I will say though that of all the prequels imo Phantom Menace has the most beautiful and interesting designs and imagery, helped by the fact that it feels a bit more real than a lot of the CGI mess to follow, and the really interesting contrast in aesthetics between its sleek and shiny ships and the scuffed up, lived-in vehicles of the OT.

I never got the rabid love people have for everything to do with the clone troopers and dropship and basically any of the ships from 2 or 3.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think podracing was one of the best parts of the prequels (and stupidest, but they're still super cool too), and I like the diorama, but for the price they're asking, I think I'd rather bricklink the pod parts, try my hand at making a couple more, and maybe make my own long-boy scenery display at some point. The official base/scenery doesn't do much for me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I am ready to be podracing right next to the speeders on endor

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
They don't have the four-armed guy with the green spaceship I always played as on the Nintendo 64 game so I shall not be wasting my money. Lego has lost a customer this day!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

They don't have the four-armed guy with the green spaceship I always played as on the Nintendo 64 game so I shall not be wasting my money. Lego has lost a customer this day!

The Shokan people have cut diplomatic ties with Lego over this raging insult.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

I never got the rabid love people have for everything to do with the clone troopers and dropship and basically any of the ships from 2 or 3.

i think those people were the ones that grew up with the clone trooper cartoon that came out in 2003, and then the followup 3d one in 2008 that featured ahsoka. so zoomers born in like 96 and later

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok, I'll buy the podcaster diorama.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cojawfee posted:

Me too, I think it looks great and I’m a sucker for podracers.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

drat, I want that TIE Interceptor

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

the only one i got on launch was the trench run, the rest i all picked up way after the fact when walmart/target was clearing inventory and got them like $10-20 off which, across the board for all dioramas, feels way more fair

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Habibi posted:

and hold a fondness for it that is neither deserved nor well understood

Lmao gently caress off with this dumb gatekeeping poo poo. One person’s fondness and nostalgia for something doesn’t need to be qualified to anyone else.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lmao gently caress off with this dumb gatekeeping poo poo. One person’s fondness and nostalgia for something doesn’t need to be qualified to anyone else.

My opinion on TPM is not stopping you from buying a pod-racing diorama. Might be better than posting, actually.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Habibi posted:

My opinion on TPM is not stopping you from buying a pod-racing diorama. Might be better than posting, actually.

The problem wasn’t your opinion of TPM, the problem was your opinion of other people who might like TPM.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

The problem wasn’t your opinion of TPM, the problem was your opinion of other people who might like TPM.

TPM is real bad though and people's re-visionary fondness for it is clouded by nostalgia or astroturfed prequel memes. It and the other prequels don't really deserve the like that they get

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The thing is young kids that saw it when it was new they had no preconceived notions. It was just the biggest media release for that particular chunk of time and had relentless marketing and toy deals.

To that group, it's nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

The thing is young kids that saw it when it was new they had no preconceived notions. It was just the biggest media release for that particular chunk of time and had relentless marketing and toy deals.

To that group, it's nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that.

yeah. people are allowed to like things that aren't good or trashy. theres a bunch of poo poo that i like that i recognize is not 'good' or particularly well made.

but its also fine for other people to recognize and point out that whatever thing isn't good and find it baffling that people enjoy it

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I don't think " the problem" was either one of those things since my ire was aimed at the movie, not the people who enjoy it. I don't think there's anything wrong with you for liking TPM. People like bad movies all the time. I like a few myself.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Habibi posted:

Which means all of the kids who were introduced to the SW universe through Phantom Menace and hold a fondness for it that is neither deserved nor well understood
“other people shouldn’t like the think I don’t like, and the reason they like it is because they don’t understand it like I do; if they truly understood what they thought they were liking, they wouldn’t like it.”

seems like a judgment of the people who like TPM

:thunk:

Even if that’s not how you meant it, it’s how it came across.

As for me, I think TPM is fine. I’ve warmed on it over the years, I thought it was okay when it came out but didn’t hold a candle to the OT, and when I rewatched it last year there were parts I really liked and parts that I’m not sure have aged super gracefully, but then other parts that weren’t as bad as I remembered them. If people like it or consider it “their” Star Wars, thumbs up.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 15, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Lego needs to put out some new X-men sets now that it turned out the new show isn't just nostalgia bait.

Give me a sentinel that is designed to break apart but be easy to reassemble. Unlike my pagani car, which my kid added rocket thrusters and missiles to and has dropped a couple of the brand new 1 x 1 x 2/3 with Side Stud pieces from it on the floor (stepped on them last night)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There was a rumor of a big rear end Xavier mansion set.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does he have a big rear end cuz he's sitting down all the time?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

deoju posted:

Generally people call him a jerk.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

“other people shouldn’t like the think I don’t like, and the reason they like it is because they don’t understand it like I do; if they truly understood what they thought they were liking, they wouldn’t like it.”

seems like a judgment of the people who like TPM

Certainly, if you take my real words and replace them with a whole new and different set of words, I can see how that might come across.

Anyway.

TIE Interceptor looks dope, but can't help but feel that for the same piece count and $60 less, the Y Wing looks way more imposing. Inflation is crazy.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

deoju posted:

He's not in '97!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I still kick myself I never got the original Technic Droideka, a shame this one seems less complex and adjustable.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Didn't see it posted yet, the next mini Ninjago City set is up, only 2300 points this time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

deoju posted:

Yeah, it's out this summer and is all but confirmed. Lego leaks tend to be pretty reliable, especially when multiple sources back them up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

lol the Interceptor is £200 there's no way I'm buying that

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pod Racing set is real good but I am not sure how I feel about the pieces representing Anakin and Sebulba. Mostly cause it's wide open. It was a neat easter egg in the Super Star Destroyer but is hidden.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

lol the Interceptor is £200 there's no way I'm buying that
$220 for the interceptor is a bit much but I'm still gonna buy it.
What's really funny is:
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/the-force-of-creativity-5008878 this book for 150 bucks.

Vintersorg posted:

Pod Racing set is real good but I am not sure how I feel about the pieces representing Anakin and Sebulba. Mostly cause it's wide open. It was a neat easter egg in the Super Star Destroyer but is hidden.

IDK why they weren't minifigs, would the scale be that much bigger?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

my view is that I'll never take it apart, so I am better served buying the high quality bandai model kit for ~£60

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

They've been doing this in sets for years now long before the SSD. A bunch of the GWP for previous May 4th sets have the same principle.

Edit: Battle of Endor 2019, Lars family homestead from 2021, Death Star II last year etc

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 16, 2024

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh, I know that hehe That was just the most recent one I could think of. It looks odd to me here - I wonder how it would look with just the heads there. Something like a kart racer.

Might be worth getting those minifig heads and putting them on. :3:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

How dare you besmirch the product that will be giving us…

A coked-out marketer at Lego posted:

…development art for an unreleased LEGO® Star Wars™ Zam Wesell minifigure (2020)…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

What's really funny is:
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/the-force-of-creativity-5008878 this book for 150 bucks.
That book is depressing. It would be more hilarious with another unique Darth Vader fig.

quote:

I think the pod racers could look better if they used 1x1 round printed tiles. Granted, I'm not sure it would actually look good for human heads, but I really like the printed R2D2 head in the trench diorama.