Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I loved and sought for almost every minifig in the first wave. That second wave... none of them do it for me. Not even the pharaoh and the Spartan. Though maybe I could use a few of those pop singers to flesh out the red light district in my future diorama...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I think they are just as cool as the first series, and I won't have to try to buy multiples of any this time. Just want the one set.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
All this terrible licensed lego we get these days makes me still hate way way back when all I wanted was star trek lego and then star wars lego came out.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, with this series I feel duplicates are going to hurt a lot more than the first one. It's cool having two or three ninjas or zombies. Not so much with pharaohs.

Facechild
May 26, 2008

Virar posted:

That's 6 more pieces than if Mega Bloks made it.
I hate to burst your bubble...

How Mega Bloks keeps getting any franchises is beyond me.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Has anyone had any problems with LEGO Digital Designer being really glitchy? Every time I move my mouse it redraws the interface and prompts me to select a box, like it's constantly restarting or something. It's absolutely unusable for me :(

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Does anyone know where to find that old flash movie about how legos are made and shipped? TLG had it made a couple of years back and it covered the whole process in this pixelly/lego-y artstyle. I really liked it because it clearly explained everything and you could go back and forth in the process. Unfortunately the link for it on lego.com is broken and googling only turn up other "making of" videos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone got me watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it rekindled memories of seeing Avatar Lego sets. Am I correct in that there were only two sets released? The Air Temple and Fire Nation Ship?

Of course as with all licensed stuff aside from most Star Wars sets, since they've been out of production for more than two months they're now worth 20 times retail price. Man I wish I had had the money when I saw stacks of Fire Nation Ships for 30 each at Wal-Mart.

Uncle's been standing in for Prince Zuko, apparently. And this costs 35 loving dollars on Bricklink.

I am tempted to drop 11 bucks on a Smug Sokka minifig, though. Can't decide if I like him or Uncle better, wish there were an Uncle minifig with giant beard and topknot.

:smug:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Mozzie posted:

All this terrible licensed lego we get these days makes me still hate way way back when all I wanted was star trek lego and then star wars lego came out.

I still think all of my homebrew rainbow warrior Star Wars stuff I built back in 1996 was better than the licensed stuff.
Like the TIE fighter that used one of these as a windscreen.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone got me watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it rekindled memories of seeing Avatar Lego sets. Am I correct in that there were only two sets released? The Air Temple and Fire Nation Ship?

This is correct, drat them, but on the bright side it's forcing me to build my own Appa. The figs are ridiculous, but if you want them and you see an Aang, grab it, he's hard to find. But to hell with spending $25 on Momo.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 25, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are the part numbers on bricklink different from those that Lego itself uses?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Why are the part numbers on bricklink different from those that Lego itself uses?

IIRC, the numbers that Lego puts in the back of instructions are item numbers that also encode the color of the brick. They actually do use the numbers that Bricklink does, as well. You'll find them printed on the bricks. If you look inside the bottom of a 2x4 brick, for example, you'll find "3001" printed on it. There are some part molds that don't have them, and some of the Bricklink numbers are arbitrarily assigned. Particularly ones that begin with "x" or "bb".

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Here's just a reminder to everybody that there IS a LEGOon Facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=366643206503

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 26, 2010

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I just don't like using Digital Designer. The tools feel half-assed, making anything take much longer to build than it should, the brick colors are incredibly limited, and some of the piece choices feel downright weird. Why can I only get flesh-colored bricks if I use some weird piece that you would almost never need for anything?

My point is, anyone know of a better piece of software?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

PalmTreeFun posted:

...the brick colors are incredibly limited...
My point is, anyone know of a better piece of software?

Either turn on universe mode (its in the OP), or learn to use LDRAW and MLCAD, which will take you even longer to build until you really get used to the program. LDD is, by far, the easiest-to-use Lego CAD tool there is.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

AstroZamboni posted:

Here's just a reminder to everybody that there IS a LEGOon Facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/!/group.php?gid=366643206503

Request sent!

Stopped by the Tysons Corner LEGO Store today and scored two of the special edition space minifigs (being given out with purchases of $75 or more) because I know one of the managers. If any NoVA goons are curious, they've recently switched a lot of sand and green bricks and plates into the PAB wall.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

afflictionwisp posted:

Either turn on universe mode (its in the OP), or learn to use LDRAW and MLCAD, which will take you even longer to build until you really get used to the program. LDD is, by far, the easiest-to-use Lego CAD tool there is.

I don't know, I thought Block Land was a lot more intuitive. Not a CAD tool, of course, but I just enjoy making virtual models. Real ones don't seem worth the money to me.

Still, thanks for mentioing the universe mode thing, I didn't notice that.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Just bought and assembled the Lunar Limo tonight.
I was surprised at how loving huge it is.
Space Pimp is as awesome as expected. I would have paid 40 bucks just for him.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Flavor Bear posted:

Just bought and assembled the Lunar Limo tonight.
I was surprised at how loving huge it is.
Space Pimp is as awesome as expected. I would have paid 40 bucks just for him.

I love how he has his own special hood ornament consisting of a solid gold version of his head. Classy. Best 40 dollars I've spent all week.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

ChickenHeart posted:

I love how he has his own special hood ornament consisting of a solid gold version of his head. Classy. Best 40 dollars I've spent all week.

Yes, probably my favorite part of the whole shebang.
I need to get on building him a tiny pimp stick and using one of those gold goblets for his pimp cup.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think everybody who bought that set gave him a cane. I know I did. ^^
I was also totally surprised at the sheer size of the thing. The box really doesn't do it justice. Best set I've bought in the last half year.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Did anyone else see that gold version of the Pimp's head and immediately think 'Half-Life head crab'? I know the 'legs' aren't long enough, but that's all I could see when I was looking at it.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

Did anyone else see that gold version of the Pimp's head and immediately think 'Half-Life head crab'? I know the 'legs' aren't long enough, but that's all I could see when I was looking at it.

The first thing I did after building the set was put a black fedora on it.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
If anyone sees a good deal on Star Wars sets, I'd like to hear about it. I have a cousin bugging me to find a set for her kid for his birthday.

He apparently saw my Death Star II and wants one for his own. I got it on special from buy.com for like $220, but I don't think his mom wants to spend what places are asking now for it, like $300-350.

I think she's going to settle on the walking AT-AT as it is cheaper. And I think I heard her mention "settling on the Ewok village instead", so I want to find something cool that is better than that. I had one such 'replacement' by my parents when I asked for the Millennium Falcon and it was terrible. :smith:

Don't let this 8 year old get stuck with an Ewok village he'll hate!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Working in LDD on a modular submarine in what is, I guess, the Atlantis set. Just finished my first piece (and it'll only cost $95!)

Click here for the full 1415x1067 image.

Click here for the full 1415x1067 image.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

(and it'll only cost $95!)

Someone needs to make a program that figures out real cost via bricklink sellers.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Hope you have MS Access.

It is pretty useful, if a bit unwieldy and sparsely documented.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

3 posted:

Hope you have MS Access.

Hey, awesome, that broke it down to about $40 or so.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
There's also Brickstore: http://www.brickforge.de/software/brickstore/ I don't know if you can upload LDD part lists to it, but I'm pretty sure you can, and it will give you part totals through BrickLink.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I didn't know 'bout all them fancy programs. I recently ordered parts for a project that has about 1,500 pieces and I made the Bricklink wanted list by hand. It took two days. :(

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mother of God you goons are beautiful.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Not MOC related, but I just picked up one of the new Hero Factory models from Walmart. The villain Meltdown.

Its pretty much Bionicle like was expected, but I'd say the parts are more useful overall, at least with this set. The head could easily become a fighter nosecone or the hilt of a beam saber for a mecha. The green tanks could easily become engine or gun parts. I might not grab the entire line but I might look into getting others.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Came here to post this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XduXCp91_IA
Because it is beatiful and lego-related.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

3 posted:

Hope you have MS Access.

What is the 'MyWanted ListNo' and where do I find it?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Revol posted:

What is the 'MyWanted ListNo' and where do I find it?
Go to Bricklink, make a new Wanted list if you don't already have one, then go to the Wanted tab -> My Wanted List and it should appear on the right in this format:
code:
ID     Name       Items  Del
12345  Spaceship  75     [ ]
I believe the ID is the number you're looking for here.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Awesome, that got it working.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Were there any spy shots from Comic Con that I just missed?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dumb submarine mecha (I got some ideas from Mascot's earlier post):

Click here for the full 1685x1067 image.

Click here for the full 1685x1067 image.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 28, 2010

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I bought Stringer from the Hero Factory line today. I may make a full review later if anyone really wants one, but long story short, don't buy Stringer from the Hero Factory line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."

Revol posted:

Speaking of Japanese...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/misaqa/sets/72157624484791238/

Jesus loving Christ.

This is the greatest lego thing I have ever seen. I always wanted to get back into legos but... nevermind...