Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Okay, convening the first Crooked Stickers Club meeting.

Rollcall!

Fappenmeister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FPzero posted:

I only just discovered this thread a few days ago. I have a bunch of Minecraft sets these days because I love the diorama nature of them, but I'm sad that I missed out on some of the larger landscape sets from years past. The "[Creature] House" sets they often come out with aren't really my style. So when I saw y'all talking about these knock off sites, I couldn't help but go looking for a knock off of The Mountain Adventure, the biggest MC set they made. It wasn't long until I found one: https://joooooy.com/collections/minecraft/products/2688pcs-leduo-76010-miniecraft-the-mountain-cave-compatible-with-21137

At $80 it's still pricey, but that's both cheaper than the real set's original MSRP of $250 and absolutely preferable compared to the ~$2000-2500 you have to spend to buy a real one of these secondhand. The reviews on the site make it sound good but I'm curious if anyone here has bought from this site or manufacturer before and what I can expect from buying a knock off like this.

As general advice, any bootleg set you're looking for you can plug the Lego set number into the website brick4.com and it will tell you clone copies.
Usually there's only a few, if any, and it's easy to them use those manufacturers/set numbers to search on Reddit or YouTube.

But in this case there's a ton of different knockoffs. Thankfully the URL says it's the LeDuo set. From reviews on Reddit, the replica manufacturer of that set seems to use low quality bricks and people had some complaints.

This review is quite negative and says it's basically a MOC pretending to be a clone
https://www.reddit.com/r/lepin/comments/1ax1xc2/leduo_minecraft_cave_youmkos_customer_service/

This review is a bit better. He titled the manufacturer in the post wrong on accident
https://www.reddit.com/r/lepin/comments/1acp4tf/decool_76010_minecraft_cave_small_review/

That being said, it still may be worth it. I have purchased bootleg : sesame Street, first flower arrangement, city hospital, city prison island, Bowser castle and Bowser airship. I also bought rivendell for a friend who hasn't built it yet. I've purchased from marstoy and joytoyworld/yourwobb, and believe hitian, barweer and jooooy to also be reputable resellers.

All of the sets were Good Enough (especially for the price), and were often easier to build with the real instructions from Lego than with the ones that came with.

For the most part, the tolerances are a bit worse, and I don't know if technic clones are awful or not. also, specific minifigs like the rivendell ones are notoriously wrong.

But when it comes down to a set that is THAT insane on the secondary market I would seriously consider it. My kid is just getting into Minecraft Lego too and I kind of like how it's 80s style minimal snot building, so maybe tolerance issues won't be an problem like they would be on a speed champions style thing.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 30, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

a sexual elk posted:

My stuff from Ali got here today

Lmao

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Thing turned out pretty solid with a lot of cool techniques.

Prolly switch out that ugly orange brown and tan bits tomorrow

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
drat it, I want a recall of the jail brick.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

fappenmeister posted:

Okay, convening the first Crooked Stickers Club meeting.

Rollcall!

Fappenmeister

ROJO

I am eternally ashamed of the stickers on the inside of the shuttle Discovery payload bay doors :negative:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

trevorreznik posted:

Careful, shipping isn't included (on joytoyworld it is). But the minifig shipping is real cheap. It's pretty clear there's a big market for using these guys as action figures - tons and tons of the minifigs there are just war (medieval, fantasy, ww2) oriented. Even buying the star wars droids is really cheap which is nice.

My favorite thing to buy there is the unofficial knockoffs of TV shows/movies, like Spider-verse and Ahsoka/Thrawn. Get 8 minifigs for about $10, the designs are all wild, and then my kid goes nuts putting them throughout his city having fights and acting out little scenes.

I had the yellow castle set (still do, for that matter) and some of the first wave of second gen grey sets when I was a kid and definitely had hundreds of hours of fun where the invaders stormed the walls of a huge megafortress I'd built, with the defense raining hot boiling bricks down on them etc.

Lots of beheadings in those battles, scraped printings etc. My old knights all show the toll.

Would definitely have loved having $10 worth of additional bootleg troops.

Thanks for these off-brand link rec's, everyone. that Saturn kit looks awesome and it's cool to see genres that the official Lego brand doesn't do.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

I had the yellow castle set (still do, for that matter) and some of the first wave of second gen grey sets when I was a kid and definitely had hundreds of hours of fun where the invaders stormed the walls of a huge megafortress I'd built, with the defense raining hot boiling bricks down on them etc.

Lots of beheadings in those battles, scraped printings etc. My old knights all show the toll.

Would definitely have loved having $10 worth of additional bootleg troops.

Thanks for these off-brand link rec's, everyone. that Saturn kit looks awesome and it's cool to see genres that the official Lego brand doesn't do.

This guy should know, he was around when his dads castle was getting sieged

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

trevorreznik posted:

As general advice, any bootleg set you're looking for you can plug the Lego set number into the website brick4.com and it will tell you clone copies.
Usually there's only a few, if any, and it's easy to them use those manufacturers/set numbers to search on Reddit or YouTube.

But in this case there's a ton of different knockoffs. Thankfully the URL says it's the LeDuo set. From reviews on Reddit, the replica manufacturer of that set seems to use low quality bricks and people had some complaints.

This review is quite negative and says it's basically a MOC pretending to be a clone
https://www.reddit.com/r/lepin/comments/1ax1xc2/leduo_minecraft_cave_youmkos_customer_service/

This review is a bit better. He titled the manufacturer in the post wrong on accident
https://www.reddit.com/r/lepin/comments/1acp4tf/decool_76010_minecraft_cave_small_review/

That being said, it still may be worth it. I have purchased bootleg : sesame Street, first flower arrangement, city hospital, city prison island, Bowser castle and Bowser airship. I also bought rivendell for a friend who hasn't built it yet. I've purchased from marstoy and joytoyworld/yourwobb, and believe hitian, barweer and jooooy to also be reputable resellers.

All of the sets were Good Enough (especially for the price), and were often easier to build with the real instructions from Lego than with the ones that came with.

For the most part, the tolerances are a bit worse, and I don't know if technic clones are awful or not. also, specific minifigs like the rivendell ones are notoriously wrong.

But when it comes down to a set that is THAT insane on the secondary market I would seriously consider it. My kid is just getting into Minecraft Lego too and I kind of like how it's 80s style minimal snot building, so maybe tolerance issues won't be an problem like they would be on a speed champions style thing.

Thanks for this advice! I did see that MouldKing was making a version of that set but seemingly halfscale, and maybe that would be enough for me, especially if MouldKing seems to be a pretty good replica manufacturer. Either way, I'll make some kind of decision.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

a sexual elk posted:

My stuff from Ali got here today

New favorite set just cause of that piece

Pretty solid set, pieces fit great

incredible

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep thinking of buying the D&D set. LEGO has broked my brain.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Made the midi Falcon. It looks really good. Lots of detail.

One thing that's super cute that you can't see from the outside is that built into the central structure - where you can't see them without disassembling the set - there are stacks of coloured round single studs that represent movie characters in some of the iconic scenes that take place inside the ship.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I keep thinking of buying the D&D set. LEGO has broked my brain.

This thread successfully convinced me not to. I think the dragon is a big step down from the original one that weaved around the tower, in my opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SadisTech posted:

Made the midi Falcon. It looks really good. Lots of detail.

One thing that's super cute that you can't see from the outside is that built into the central structure - where you can't see them without disassembling the set - there are stacks of coloured round single studs that represent movie characters in some of the iconic scenes that take place inside the ship.

drat that set looks really good in that pic. Now I kinda want it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I like how they keep doing this,
They're in the death star Ii and the midi SSD too.
I wonder if there's some action in the tantiv4, we know the invisible hand breaks in half

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I wonder if there's some action in the tantiv4, we know the invisible hand breaks in half

Speaking of,
You can see the bounty hunters near the front

Finishing it up just building the base

Great set, only down side:

$26

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 31, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HootTheOwl posted:

The Tantive IV has some studs representing 3PO, R2 and Leia.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It’s kind of inaccurate because the escape pod is missing :colbert:

the scene with Leila, Threepio and R2D2 stares you in the face as you assemble that bit with the pods, too :v:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
One of our friends got my wife the Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote block heads set because she loves Wile and assumed that since I like Lego, she did to. They were wrong, but ok.

We got around to putting it together yesterday and there is a pink 2x2 brick in the middle of their head that you can't see at all. I didn't understand it but my wife immediately recognized it as the brain.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zwille posted:

It’s kind of inaccurate because the escape pod is missing :colbert:

the scene with Leila, Threepio and R2D2 stares you in the face as you assemble that bit with the pods, too :v:

They didn't destroy the ship after the war.
The moment is taken after Jedi when they're revisiting the craft for a documentary

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Deus Ex Macklemore posted:

One of our friends got my wife the Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote block heads set because she loves Wile and assumed that since I like Lego, she did to. They were wrong, but ok.

We got around to putting it together yesterday and there is a pink 2x2 brick in the middle of their head that you can't see at all. I didn't understand it but my wife immediately recognized it as the brain.

Yes. There are some excellent jokes along the brickheadz line of smaller or otherwise different (color mostly) brain pieces as well.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I feel like it must be a lot of fun for Lego designers to throw tiny details into your designs that you know will potentially only be seen briefly during the building process, but will bring a little smile to those who notice it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My favorite detail for brickheadz is the tiles under Jack Sparrow's eyes. The represent eye shadow.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...Tales%5D#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Quick question, I’m looking at trying to set up a modular thing for my 5 year old to muck around with. Do the new style lego road pieces have holes underneath so you can build them on top of a base plate / other large flat piece? Or are they only able to be attached to other pieces around the edges with the connectors?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Solemn Sloth posted:

Quick question, I’m looking at trying to set up a modular thing for my 5 year old to muck around with. Do the new style lego road pieces have holes underneath so you can build them on top of a base plate / other large flat piece? Or are they only able to be attached to other pieces around the edges with the connectors?

Yeah, they have holes on the bottom if you want to put them on baseplates. They're two plates tall, so you can line them right up next to some of the older Lego juniors stuff like the batcave and police stations my kid has
https://brickset.com/sets/10672-1/Batman-Defend-the-Batcave or the recent animal rescue stuff. I'm not sure what the term is for those plates

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

trevorreznik posted:

Yeah, they have holes on the bottom if you want to put them on baseplates. They're two plates tall, so you can line them right up next to some of the older Lego juniors stuff like the batcave and police stations my kid has
https://brickset.com/sets/10672-1/Batman-Defend-the-Batcave or the recent animal rescue stuff. I'm not sure what the term is for those plates

Yeah we’ve got some animal rescue things and the chunkier small fire station. I think the police academy might have those plates in it too. Awesome, thank you!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Introducing Supersized Tim, the first of new Supersized sets

Wow that completely shatters the previous biggest set record

My favourite part is the enormous instructions in the video

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Introducing the new lego maxi-figs

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That video is fantastic

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Fun date activity!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My problem with it is that even though it's 4/1, it is still totally believable that LEGO would try to sell their typical store/amusement park/other big place displays to the public.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

My problem with it is that even though it's 4/1, it is still totally believable that LEGO would try to sell their typical store/amusement park/other big place displays to the public.

Nah, we're not allowed to sell them to the public under any circumstances for a number of reasons. Get questions about that from time to time and the answer is an outright 'no'.
Had some YouTuber sic his fans on us last year because he wanted some shark guy store display, that was a fun couple of weeks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Love the instructions. One yellow 2x4 brick. Ok stack another yellow 2x4 brick on that.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Oh boy, just bit the bullet on the D&D set. Might try to include it in my actual D&D sessions somehow.

Odd that the mimic gift didn't appear anywhere in the order confirmation...

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Guzwar posted:

Oh boy, just bit the bullet on the D&D set. Might try to include it in my actual D&D sessions somehow.

Make sure to download the adventure. It's a 0-point Insiders reward.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Veotax posted:

Nah, we're not allowed to sell them to the public under any circumstances for a number of reasons. Get questions about that from time to time and the answer is an outright 'no'.
Had some YouTuber sic his fans on us last year because he wanted some shark guy store display, that was a fun couple of weeks.

An entitled prick Lego YouTuber, colour me surprised

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Guzwar posted:

Probably sold out. The modular GWP is gone, too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the Mimic was sold out in the US as of like four or five hours ago.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Veotax posted:

Yeah, the Mimic was sold out in the US as of like four or five hours ago.

I wonder if it’s something you can just piece together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/darth-maul-s-sith-infiltrator-75383
the sith infiltrator (and the baby yoda escape speeder) are on the main site now.