Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Waltzing Along posted:

Space Diner looks pretty cool.

Go on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Only space diner I want

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 21, 2024

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

a sexual elk posted:

Only space diner I want

Can't help but think that movie began with Dennis Hopper saying "they'll pay me *how* much?"

And Charles Dance's robocock.

Before anyone asks: Space Truckers.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

a sexual elk posted:

Only space diner I want

so many fly af outfits in that crowd

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

so many fly af outfits in that crowd

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 21, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s an upcoming GWP

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure that one LEGO book is going to be a lot less interesting.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Series 25 arrived. I think I get far, far too much joy from staging these minifigs.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Hello thread, been reading for a while, and I see you guys talking a lot about buying directly from the Lego store. Here in Norway, the Lego store has a fairly significant markup compared to other retailers. Usually at least $10-ish; More for bigger sets. Is that not the case in the US? Or do you buy from there primarily to get points, and exclusives?

I recently got the Tallneck because this thread kept harping on how good it is, and I gotta say I think it's the most enjoyable build I've done so far. Just lots of nifty details and cool techniques. I also loved the game, which I guess helps.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
For Germany, usually only exclusive sets are worth buying at Lego as other retailers usually offer them significantly cheaper, so I tend to wait on double VIP points weekends for those. Sometimes sets go on sale later but it's pretty random. The Ecto-1 was a particularly egregious example of this as Lego used to sell it for €200 and you could find it for like €130, with the price hike it's €240 vs. €160 elsewhere. The Ornithopter is like €160 from Lego and was like €95 on a flash deal and €120-130 regulary. The Concorde on the other hand remained at €200 for like a year and just now's seeing mild sales.

I do have like €100 worth in points that I don't know what to spend on as my interests have narrowed a bit and Lego seems not to sell that many exclusives anymore :v: Probably gonna use it on the rumored Adam West Batmobile.

You should check if there's price comparison sites (Idealo.de for Germany), or fan sites that have Telegram channels or newsletters.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Hello thread, been reading for a while, and I see you guys talking a lot about buying directly from the Lego store. Here in Norway, the Lego store has a fairly significant markup compared to other retailers. Usually at least $10-ish; More for bigger sets. Is that not the case in the US? Or do you buy from there primarily to get points, and exclusives?

Being Australian I feel your mark-up pain. Shopping around at my local department stores usually gets a very significantly lower price on most sets. Personally I have only bought from lego.com when there has been an extremely desirable GWP and/or I have points that I want to redeem - for example I just cashed in for their vintage Space logo blue cap. Occasionally there are sets that are exclusive/hard to find elsewhere that it's easier to get through there as well.

quote:

I recently got the Tallneck because this thread kept harping on how good it is, and I gotta say I think it's the most enjoyable build I've done so far. Just lots of nifty details and cool techniques. I also loved the game, which I guess helps.

Tallneck fist bump! Great model.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Unless there's a sale, Lego always sells at the recommend retail price. So you can probably find non-exclusive stuff cheaper elsewhere most of the time.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

I live in what is probably the second most expensive European country after Norway and sadly usually the answer is simply to not order on lego.com. I am often able to get sets on amazon.de for 30-40% less than what Lego charges in my country. Unless there's some kind of GWP that I want or something like that, I just don't buy on lego.com because almost always you can find sets for less money elsewhere (especially after some time).

ivantod fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 22, 2024

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Not sure by which metric you're going, but Germany isn't in the top 7 most expensive European countries:

1 Switzerland
2 Iceland
3 Norway
4 Denmark
5 Ireland and Luxembourg
6 France
7 Austria

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

gschmidl posted:

Not sure by which metric you're going, but Germany isn't in the top 7 most expensive European countries:

1 Switzerland
2 Iceland
3 Norway
4 Denmark
5 Ireland and Luxembourg
6 France
7 Austria

I meant to say "after Norway", instead of "after Germany", but now I see on your list that my country is actually more expensive than Norway so... Anyway, just don't buy on lego.com.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I bought the Lion Knights castle via Lego.com because it's an exclusive, but everything else I've got from either Prisma or Verkkokauppa because their prices are so much better.

Now I have over 3,000 Lego points which I have no idea what to do with. lol.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lotta EX-S Gundam in that thing's DNA

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Aloy minifig is also fantastic

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SadisTech posted:

Series 25 arrived. I think I get far, far too much joy from staging these minifigs.

Staging them is half the fun!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The sets are actually about 25% cheaper* in the US because we're awesome and freedom and stuff. Maybe if you guys invaded more countries your Lego retail prices would go down too, losers.

* - of course they aren't and you aren't losers, I'm sorry that was mean. I'm just under a lot of stress these days and I tend to take it out on other countries. My bad, I hope we're all good now

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Arent sets listed on the US website without sales and state taxes and stuff? So depending on where you live you pay more? That's illegal in all of Europe (the advertised price has to be the price you buy something at) but makes it harder to compare prices.

Also, don't buy on the official lego website unless it's exclusive. https://www.brickwatch.net is pretty handy for tracking prices if you live in UK, Germany, France, Belgium or the Netherlands.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How long is that Tales of the Space Age set likely to stick around, also the bug nature set? Can't really justify buying lego sets right now but I do want those and would be sad if they go away before I can. They only just came out relatively so I assume I have probably a year or so at least?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

engessa posted:

Arent sets listed on the US website without sales and state taxes and stuff? So depending on where you live you pay more? That's illegal in all of Europe (the advertised price has to be the price you buy something at) but makes it harder to compare prices.
Yes, because not all states have a sales tax, and the ones that do have different rates from each other and often have exceptions to what it applies to.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thebardyspoon posted:

How long is that Tales of the Space Age set likely to stick around, also the bug nature set? Can't really justify buying lego sets right now but I do want those and would be sad if they go away before I can. They only just came out relatively so I assume I have probably a year or so at least?

Considering the bug one just came out, you’ve probably got till the end of 2025 at least. Same for Tales of the Space Age according to the available data.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Considering the bug one just came out, you’ve probably got till the end of 2025 at least. Same for Tales of the Space Age according to the available data.

The bugs are retiring 2025, yep, but Tales of the Space Age is finishing this year, probably around summertime, according to reports.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My wife and I were at the mall with the Lego store on the weekend, and she demanded I build her the Piranha Plant so she could put it on her desk at work. Twist my fuckin arm, lady. (She got me the little red Vespa as well, it's adorable.)

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Chris Knight posted:

Yes, because not all states have a sales tax, and the ones that do have different rates from each other and often have exceptions to what it applies to.

Don't forget in a huge swath of the US individual cities can set their own tax rates, not inclusive of counties (or other regions), and then also the state at the top of the local buying issue.

Sales tax in the US is hosed, and attempting to provide any insight to a individual users full price at checkout is way to complicated to figure out without your explicit location. Hell, even the location of your credit card or where you are getting it shipped to, which may have zero correlation with where you are physically at.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Sales tax (which you're confusing with income tax) isn't hard to understand or calculate. I never understood Europeans inability to say something is ~$28 and be fine with that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ChesterJT posted:

Sales tax (which you're confusing with income tax) isn't hard to understand or calculate. I never understood Europeans inability to say something is ~$28 and be fine with that.
When my folks lived in Colorado, the closest big mall was in another county, which had a different sales tax to the one they lived in a mile away. So you're telling me some toy web site is gonna magically figure all that poo poo out?

Edit: like, when you went to say a department or appliance store to get a big ticket item, they'd ask for your ZIP code so the cash register could apply the right sales tax. Of course if you lied and just paid cash, no one was gonna know lol

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 22, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yeah because that's the cost of doing business. Lego ain't some tiny mom n pop organization.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

I never understood americans inability to display the actual cost of something on the label instead of adding whatever loving percentage it is in a given state. your country sucks deal with it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ijyt posted:

I never understood americans inability to display the actual cost of something on the label instead of adding whatever loving percentage it is in a given state. your country sucks deal with it.

i agree at the physical store, its annoying. but websites require consent to get your location. so if someone is just browsing they may not want give that out. they should probably have the option to do so, though. especially for stuff like steam or lego where, yeah this isn't going to be the only time i'm buying from here, you already have my contact details from previous purchases. may as well just let me set the sales tax to show while im browsing.

that said, its only an issue when im making a big purchase. like you forget how much sales tax can ding you until you go to check out the rivendell set or something

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have people seen this guys channel? So many questions. Apparently Europe has a Lego factory store where you can just buy bulk bricks? And he is regularly buying thousands of euros of bricks. Is YouTube that lucrative?

https://youtu.be/tj8hhLNyvAg?si=o_gsDTFAiuQw457B

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Doesn't the Mall of America have something similar?

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
I see my initial reasoning was sound, and I will continue to not order from the Lego store, except when they force me to by creating an exclusive set too desirable to ignore (Looking at you, Lion knights' castle. One day I will save enough money to get you :argh:)

I originally figured I'd enjoy technic(al) sets more, since they felt more advanced. But since building the tree house and tallneck I've realized I enjoy sets with a lot of atmosphere and fun details more. I'm glad I found this thread so I can get help murdering my savings account in the most efficient way possible.

SadisTech posted:

Tallneck fist bump! Great model.

:respek:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

(Looking at you, Lion knights' castle. One day I will save enough money to get you :argh:)

Just do it. I’m 10 bags in and having an absolute blast.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Are there going to be any more Dune LEGO sets? It's one of the few IPs that could get me back into LEGO after a decade+ away. It just seems weird that there's only been the one set so far.

I'm really hoping for a black and white Giedi Prime arena set with Feyd, Lanville, the Baron, a couple of those weird guards, and Margot Fenring

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

YoursTruly posted:

Are there going to be any more Dune LEGO sets? It's one of the few IPs that could get me back into LEGO after a decade+ away. It just seems weird that there's only been the one set so far.

I'm really hoping for a black and white Giedi Prime arena set with Feyd, Lanville, the Baron, a couple of those weird guards, and Margot Fenring

i see it as highly unlikely unless a tv series comes out or something. the second movie is already out and the ornithopter was released around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

YoursTruly posted:

It's weirder that there even was one set tbh, it doesn't seem like the kind of fandom that overlaps a huge amount with Lego - theres the modern fans of the films who aren't going to be so attached to the IP that they'll shell out money for toys from it, and then my perception of more hardcore Duke book fans is they're mostly past the main Lego market now of millennials with cash burning a hole in their wallets who go for nostalgic things.