Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Here's something!
Something I made!
It's a mech!
WHO IS DRIVING?

DOG IS DRIVING! HOW CAN THAT BE?

Sorry, I forgot what a nightmare it is to take pics of red.

Sit, boy.

It was a ton of fun to build.

Edit - Ooh, MOC pagesnipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Made a trip to the imagination center in Downtown Disney and came home with the new Slave 1. It's amazing...so much more detail and way better designed than the previous versions. It's one of the first sets to use flick-fire missiles in a manner that doesn't bother me.

Only bad thing was that yesterday was the last day for the classic spaceman magnet promotion...not that it would have mattered...the manager said they'd been out of them for about two weeks.

So yeah...if you're on the fence about this set, go buy it. Totally worth it.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I've been very busy these last few weeks. I am building an intermodal container port complete with ship, cranes and all the rest for Brickfair this year. Most of it is done and boxed up to go, but here's one photo of the old, rotting dock that sits off to one side of the main port.

Seeing as this port required building so many different things, I'll have many more pictures soon.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I've been very busy these last few weeks. I am building an intermodal container port complete with ship, cranes and all the rest for Brickfair this year. Most of it is done and boxed up to go, but here's one photo of the old, rotting dock that sits off to one side of the main port.

Seeing as this port required building so many different things, I'll have many more pictures soon.

:supaburn:
Every time I post one of my lovely MOCs somebody comes along with something that makes mine look so much worse in comparison.
You and your loving talent.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I really like the use of the 1x1 green transparent plates for the water.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mascot posted:

Made a trip to the imagination center in Downtown Disney and came home with the new Slave 1. It's amazing...so much more detail and way better designed than the previous versions. It's one of the first sets to use flick-fire missiles in a manner that doesn't bother me.

Only bad thing was that yesterday was the last day for the classic spaceman magnet promotion...not that it would have mattered...the manager said they'd been out of them for about two weeks.

So yeah...if you're on the fence about this set, go buy it. Totally worth it.

I also recently bought this set (but I got my spaceman), and while expensive, it is a gorgeous model. My only complaint is the completely empty cockpit and useless spinning chair.

Even the price isn't that bad if you're planning on selling the new Boba fig. They're making at least $25 on ebay.

Buy it for the model, buy it for Bossk, sell the new Boba. The original is still the best anyway:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Here's golfer D.A. Points on Sunday at the Greenbrier Classic, he finished fourth.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
I'm still working on my series of Final Fantasy themed Legos. The last character I'm making is a summoner, so of course it's time to make some summons.

This is a work in progress. I don't know, does it look like a Bahamut to you guys?

Click here for the full 1108x734 image.

Click here for the full 1201x712 image.

Click here for the full 1151x861 image.

Click here for the full 1073x831 image.

I'm shopping for a suitable dragon head on Bricklink. I'm also not happy with the giant hands or the blockiness of the arms. I'm working on a different design that uses these for fingers, but I'm kind of hamstrung overall by the ball joints on the chestpiece and how few pieces there seem to be that connect to them. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

ElwoodCuse posted:

Here's golfer D.A. Points on Sunday at the Greenbrier Classic, he finished fourth.

He looks so drat proud of that buckle its just hilarious.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

This looks really lovely, it's almost too bad the brown tiles are so shiny since you're going for a run-down, weathered look. Maybe try throwing in a few tan, grey and dark grey tiles?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
All the new Technic poo poo is out today, including the Excavator. Picked up the new 8051 motorbike and spent most of the evening tweaking it to work better; the chain slips like crazy and the only printed brick on the thing is the clicky-hinge bubble canopy that makes up part of the tank, and that's got dorky tribal flames on it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
For a fruit-themed thread on Eurobricks:

I was also testing some macro filters I just bought for my camera. Love 'em!

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

Carbohydrates posted:

For a fruit-themed thread on Eurobricks:

I was also testing some macro filters I just bought for my camera. Love 'em!

Wow, it took me a while to realise those pencils were lego too. They're spot on. So real looking. Love the apple too it looks pixelly.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

If anyone wants some of those Toy Story alien figs but doesn't want to pay for the Construct-a-Buzz/Zurg or one of the other big sets, TRU seems to have gotten these in. They were apparently a free gift with purchase in France and Australia and as a sendaway in the UK, but just on shelves in the US as a normal purchase for $3.99 now.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm trying to figure out how to make a cargo elevator/forklift/whatever with vertical travel of five blocks, and I'm just shooting blanks. Anyone have any ideas?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Okay so, several things happened in the last 2 weeks. First, Toy's R Us had 8996 Skopio XV-1 on clearance for ~$60, so I snatched it up. Then, they had that buy one get one half off sale, so I bought 8075 Neptune Carrier, and 8077 Atlantis Exploration HQ for a total of ~$85.

However, last week, Skopio XV-1 went on sale on Lego.com: http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=8996 making it half off. So, I bought it from Lego.com and returned the other one to TRU, saving myself $15. Then, I received a $120 Amazon Gift Certificate through my work, and what did I buy? Why, I bought the Neptune Carrier and 8037 Anakin’s Y-wing Starfighter, then returned the other Neptune Carrier to TRU, leaving the Atlantis Exploration HQ in my possession for half price.

Then last week, Smith's Marketplace was having a pretty nice sale as well, and in the last few days Build-a-Buzz was half off, so I bought two. In total, I spent ~$95 (of my own money) for $310 of brand new sets.

I think I'm gonna make the Neptune Carrier first :D

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to make a cargo elevator/forklift/whatever with vertical travel of five blocks, and I'm just shooting blanks. Anyone have any ideas?

You could try something like this, I made it up awhile ago for my Infinity:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

InfinEight posted:

I have no idea what's going on there :)

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I have no idea what's going on there :)

Basically, there's a set of rods on each side, and there are plates w/clips attached to the rods. The clips slide up and down the rods, like this :fh:

If you attach the plates w/clips to a building, etc, then the rods can slide up and down, making a lift, like this:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Not groundbreaking news or anything, but here's the box for the Tower Bridge set coming out October 1st:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Thanks to a certain Space Police minifig, I had a sudden itch of nostalgia that needed scratching, Minecraft style:

Seriously though if you jerks haven't tried this game boot up the free browser version already; you get to explore an entire world made up of 2x2 blocks. The full version lets you do it while being torn apart by skeletons.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Do you need it to stay in place when it moves?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, I took a trip to TRU today to see if anything could scratch my LEGO itch. I picked up two sets from the Pirates line; Brickbeards Bounty and the little raft set. They seem like something fun to ease me in before I tackle something with 1000+ pieces.

I'm about halfway through the pirate ship after about an hour of building tonight, and drat it's taking me back to my childhood. Good times man, good times.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What in the hell is this, I stopped paying attention to Bionicle years ago and this happens, accidentally stumbled upon them while digging for parts in Bricklink :psyduck:

All of the Toa look equally poo poo, they went from very simple, neat looking robot dudes to...that. Gross.

edit: this is actually rather sad. It's no wonder Bionicle got canned.

From this:

to this:

What a loving mess Lewa's become.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 4, 2010

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I never cared for Bionicle. To me, it simply isn't LEGO, it's toys with detachable bodyparts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Taeke posted:

I never cared for Bionicle. To me, it simply isn't LEGO, it's toys with detachable bodyparts.

Don't start that again. Regardless of your opinion, Bionicle was incredibly helpful and influential for Lego in the first few years and really helped them survive the near-collapse they had at the turn of the millennium. The kits were mostly existing bricks with a few key new pieces such as masks, heads, limbs, and the MOC-revolutionizing ball joints and sockets. They were specifically marketed as "buildable action figures", too, so your toys with detachable body parts thing was sorta what they were going for all along.

But those Toa...after the Rahkshi or maybe Metru Nui, things really went downhill I guess. Although I'll definitely be ordering a few 50% off Scopios and Cendoxs for parts, especially tank treads. And a King's Sword too, because if there's one thing I've learned from my Onua Nuva Lego foam chainsaw, it's that they make EXCELLENT bugswatters. You don't even have to hit a hornet in midair when you swing one of those things, the sheer force from it will kill it right out of the air.

edit: 2 Skopios, 5 Cendox, 2 King's Swords. Some bought for gifts for kids. :c00l:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 4, 2010

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
The new Wampa Cave arrived yesterday and a LEGO Wampa makes my inner-child squeel with glee.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainWeasel posted:

Do you need it to stay in place when it moves?

I'd like it to, yes.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't start that again. Regardless of your opinion, Bionicle was incredibly helpful and influential for Lego in the first few years and really helped them survive the near-collapse they had at the turn of the millennium. The kits were mostly existing bricks with a few key new pieces such as masks, heads, limbs, and the MOC-revolutionizing ball joints and sockets. They were specifically marketed as "buildable action figures", too, so your toys with detachable body parts thing was sorta what they were going for all along.

Even though it was on clearance, I got some sticker shock when I bought the Bionicle chest piece pictured above. The 10-cent rule of thumb has really spoiled me for fancy parts.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'd like it to, yes.

I tried to brainstorm ways of making slide rail pieces go vertical, but I couldn't think of a good way of making it stay in place without hydraulics, and I'm away from my bricks so I can't test anything. If you can clear that hurdle, though, one of these on either side of a platform would make a pretty sturdy elevator.

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 4, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you mean the torso you used for "Bahamut", that's from a Ben 10 figure. Galidor 2.0

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Atlantis Exploration HQ really sucks. As a HQ, it's really confusing because it's so open. As a sub, the lights knock over any minifigs you try to put inside. Piece of poo poo.

It has a lot of small design elements that I like, though, and am going to steal mercilessly to design my own "exploration HQ" (that can actually be staffed by the 18 atlantis minifigs I have, heh heh)

edit: The Neptune Carrier is really nice though.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 4, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainWeasel posted:

Even though it was on clearance, I got some sticker shock when I bought the Bionicle chest piece pictured above. The 10-cent rule of thumb has really spoiled me for fancy parts.

I tried to brainstorm ways of making slide rail pieces go vertical, but I couldn't think of a good way of making it stay in place without hydraulics, and I'm away from my bricks so I can't test anything. If you can clear that hurdle, though, one of these on either side of a platform would make a pretty sturdy elevator.

I took InfinEight's thing and changed it slightly. I need a little more vertical travel than the 4-high antennas he used, so I used technic axles:

Click here for the full 1689x1067 image.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I took InfinEight's thing and changed it slightly. I need a little more vertical travel than the 4-high antennas he used, so I used technic axles:

That will definitely stay elevated. Not sure how easy it will be to move the platform with all four axles in place though.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
how about the hitech concept?

Click here for the full 1280x859 image.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intoxication posted:

how about the hitech concept?

Click here for the full 1280x859 image.

Can you email me the lxf for that at whiskeyjuvenile@gmail.com?

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
done and doner

btw, when opening it, the actuators sometimes don't show up because they are supposedly wrongly placed or something.

you can easily add them back in

pad thai hi-five fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 4, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainWeasel posted:

I think actually this plus a technic axle to keep it in place might work. How do you use slide rail pieces though?

edit: That is to say, "PLATE 1x2 WITH SLIDE" fits in, but the offset is really weird and I can't manage to fit another piece on it in LDD, so I'm a bit concerned.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 4, 2010

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

If you mean the torso you used for "Bahamut", that's from a Ben 10 figure. Galidor 2.0

Six of one. They're both anime-styled pose-able action figures.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I think actually this plus a technic axle to keep it in place might work. How do you use slide rail pieces though?

edit: That is to say, "PLATE 1x2 WITH SLIDE" fits in, but the offset is really weird and I can't manage to fit another piece on it in LDD, so I'm a bit concerned.

I don't know about the offset, I'm using MLCAD and the default positioning works perfectly.

And it still needs gears or hydraulics too. I'm the best engineer ever :downs:

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 5, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's my next try for an elevator, trying to make it pretty simple:

Close-up of the guiderail and elevator slot with one guiderail cover and all the elevator chassis hidden:

edit: Less axles should make it easier to move, and the guiderails give it some stability, even though they're probably just aesthetic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BrainWeasel posted:

Six of one. They're both anime-styled pose-able action figures.

Wait what? Are robots automatically of Japanese origin now? :psyduck:

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

The brackets on the side aren't a single piece, right? It's hard to see any seams in these pictures.

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait what? Are robots automatically of Japanese origin now? :psyduck:

I grew up in the Power Rangers / Voltron heyday. That's just where my brain goes when I see a team of color-coded superheroes.

But enough of that, look at this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainWeasel posted:

The brackets on the side aren't a single piece, right? It's hard to see any seams in these pictures.

Here, I colored all the pieces.

Side view:

Angle view:

edit: The great thing is that the elevator is on the same grid as the rails, making aligning everything really easy.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 5, 2010