Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

Vic Viper. Nnenn, the brilliant Lego artist who was killed in a car accident earlier this year, had a particular addiction for building Vic Vipers. It spawned a tradition.

Speaking of whom, I opened my contacts list this morning and saw two new MOCs from him. I almost fell out of my chair.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nnenn/

Apparently his wife and kids saved 3 of his last MOCs and are saving the best for last. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Flavor Bear posted:

I am always left confused as to what does and does not constitute a Vic Viper. Anyone wanna fill me in?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

InfinEight posted:

Nice, high-res Ninjago pics. Throwing stars, samurai helmets, new skeletons? There goes all my money for next year.

All the skeleton vehicles look completely ridiculous and I want them all.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
About drat time. poo poo owns.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The pile of tiny skeletons in the base is hilarious.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Pyroclastic posted:

Looks great! If you want unlimited color and piece choice, and don't care about the ridiculous Price feature, you can just enable Universe Mode in LDD.

That much dark red and you think it isn't Universe Mode?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
50's sci-fi flying saucers :flashfap:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The Black Seas Barracuda has already been done.

I got the BSB at a garage sale in '95 in a ratty, torn up box for 20bux. With every piece intact. You'd better believe I still have every single component from that son of a bitch, except for the rigging which was replaced somewhere down the line with homemade rigging my mom made. I'm halfway tempted to dig it out and build it again, but I have nowhere to put it :(

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

therizinosaurus posted:

So I made something with the lego digital designer, but it seems wickedly expensive, like ~$40 for less than 150 pieces.

Is there any way to do this cheaper?

LDD puts a $10 service charge on top of a per-brick markup, which artificially inflates the price of the final product. What you ought to use is LDD Manager, an MS Access app that makes a bricklink-friendly parts list from LDD files.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Shuppiluliumas posted:

One of the comments on that Brickset post had a large picture of some of the 2011 sets with a little better quality than I've seen. Here you go.

Click here for the full 2000x2000 image.

holy poo poo that fishing boat
That was one of my favorite sets as a lad, full loving circle.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

InfinEight posted:

I didn't even notice that one, but it definitely looks like a re-release. That set was given to my brother when we were younger and it ended up with me, so that gave me a little nostalgia bomb too.

It's got too many new parts to be a straight rerelease, but it's definitely a fantastic homage. It's even got the shark!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The actual "bloks," if you will, have absolutely poo poo tolerances but their minifigures own.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Alien Conquest command truck has another Nabii Vic Viper, bought on sight.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Yesssss

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I know most of us view TBB, but I wanted to post this here anyway.

Bear in mind that this thing is like 7 feet long.

Here is the MOCPages link. Unfortunately, there aren't nearly enough good pictures of it.

The thing about that is that while it's an absolutely mindblowing build, I get the feeling those pieces are under so much tension that the whole thing would probably just explode if you blew on it gently.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

InfinEight posted:

Holy poo poo, another (delayed) MOC from me so soon? Say it ain't so!

More here or here. Trying to recreate the box-art made me miss Lego's old studio techniques. I loved those little space environments they made.

My (still 100% intact :)) Deep Freeze Defender was one of the highlights of my youth, update owns. I do wish you'd kept the awesome garage door though.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sair posted:

There's definitely some fisheye going on there.

I don't think you quite understand the concept of "optical illusion"

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
"Fantasia Verlag, a German publisher that specializes in collectors catalogs is pleased to announce the release of the second Premium Edition of the LEGO Collector’s Guide."

With exclusive minifig with honest-to-god classic-space helmet!
april is the cruelest month

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
LDD's problem is that it's an absolute stickler for "correct" parts placement, and while you can occasionally cheat your way past the program when it comes down to semi- or completely illegal connections, it'll sometimes decide it's had enough of your guff and just flat out remove those pieces the next time you open that project. Problem is, it doesn't tell you what it removed, just how many pieces.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Stevoh posted:

Also new LDD patch, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Is it worth it?

Oh goody, time for the annual LDD parts library shuffle! I can't wait to see the exciting number of ways this breaks my old library of models.

EDIT: here is my opinion on the latest parts library fuckup

quote:

"Everything is bullshit!" Dean Snakehands shouts and smashes the place up really bad on his way out. "The world is so much crap from a huge turd butt."
PROS: a poo poo ton of Hero Factory 2.0 stuff which is admittedly cool as hell
CONS:

3 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 5, 2011

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

IIRC, they started with the non-yellow minifigs when they starteed releasing models based on The Clone Wars animated series, they also made the faces more detailed.
I actually hadn't noticed it had 'spread' to all of Star Wars until now. I don't like it.

They've used non-yellow minifigs for far longer than that; they started showing up for licensed sets in around '05-06 I think, for stuff like the Spider-man 2 sets, Star Wars stuff, etc.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Oh hello again. Been off the LEGO wagon too long, fired up LDD and whadyaknow, some of these hero factory bits are actually quite swell for robot building!

(click for flickr!)

(and without fancy-shmancy graphics)
It's technically an old build but I'm in the middle of a complete overhaul so expect more stuff in the near future!

3 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 10, 2011

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Well Manicured Man posted:

Faceship! :haw:
I love the "ears" on this, really gives it a lot of character.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
^^^^^
You can see my version of the hero robot here. That show was... pretty insane.

Anyway, time for a photodump! This is an overhauled version of two previous builds, the Mark 3 Gay Deceiver and the AS-503 Darien Gap. In addition, since I build LDD-only like 99% of the time, I've gone to the extra effort of snazzing up everything with gratuitous design bits.

Taste the rainbow!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Tanith posted:

I know. To pour salt on the wound while twisting the knife further, it was free.

Oh hello. I hope you die horribly :D
Seconding the motion to do a photoshoot of the build, if only to increase the amount of jealous bile I have at the moment.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
That was quick. Hot off the heels of series 6, series 7:whoop i can't count for poo poo, this is series 6

That wind-up robot is excellent.

3 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 15, 2011

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

KingFisher posted:

Any of you lego dudes a boss and LDD?

I am looking to see some mini fig scale rocket designed!

Depending on the interest I would even pay a design and logistics bounty.

Universe mode or LDD pure? I do pretty much all my work in LDD anyway, but I prefer to use vanilla mode because I have a problem with my brain. Here is some stuff.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
A giant fiberglass LEGO minifig mysteriously washes up in Florida. Even weirder, this is not the first time something like this has happened :psyduck:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
All the cool kids are doing microspace fleets, and I've never actually built in micro before, so I figured I might as well get in on that action.

Click for flickr set!

The fleet consists of fighter-sized Deepeye-class jumplabs, a bunch of purpose-built destroyers based on a modular Dagger-class chassis, and the big 'ol VS-04 Musashi acting as flagship and also showing off my intense love for ring sections on ships.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

KingFisher posted:

Would you consider doing some LDD work for $$?

That would be fantastic. I love money as much as I love LEGO.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

KingFisher posted:

How is the best way to get in touch?

Don't have plat, so email's your best bet. You can buzz me at ed.coli (at) gmail.com. Also, I love near-future space stuff and I'm a huge sucker for feasible spaceflight tech in general so this sounds right up my alley.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Man, I don't know how to feel about this. LEGO DesignByMe is shutting down in January 2012; LDD will still be around but you won't be able to order what you build direct from TLG anymore. On the one hand, the slow upward markup on pricing over the years basically turned the service into highway robbery, but on the other hand it was a neat service with a lot of cool functionality like custom printed boxes and instructions.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Click for flickr set!

I've been meaning to build more minifig-scale space stuff, so here's a thing! It's part of a series of ships based on standardized parts I've been designing.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Uh-oh.

Currently taking photos of this thing with a better camera than my lovely iphone.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Finally got to build an MOC out of real-life bricks after God knows how long.

Just before Christmas, I decided to splurge a bit and put in a couple of Bricklink orders to get the pieces I needed to make this thing happen in real life (DesignByMe has gotten prohibitively expensive since the last time I used it). The last of the shipments came in a couple of days ago, so I sat down to build my first IRL MOC in quite some time. Feels good, man.

(God drat I am bad at photography)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
LDD 4.2 is up, and boy howdy it's a doozy. Since DesignByMe and LEGO Universe are officially dead and buried, the entire palette has opened up in default mode, and extended mode is availailable from the splash.

I'm of two minds about this: on the one hand, I appreciated the restrictions the old DBM palette placed on selection and colors because it encouraged (for me at least) creative usage of a limited pool of bricks, but on the other hand OMG COLORS EVERYWHERE

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
To this day, I still try to integrate a moonbase standard airlock into my bigger ships if I can. Not sure why, probably habit or nostalgia.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

VaultAggie posted:

Now we need Lego Starcraft.

Mega Bloks got that license, I'm afraid. To be fair to them, though, the quality of their sets seems to have been improving across the board, no doubt thanks to the popularity of their Halo license.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: apparently the link to the PDF doesn't work anymore. Anyone got it?

It's a powerpoint and not a PDF, but here you go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Two more Sirius Commonwealth ships:

Based on the Starflier and Patriot from Freelancer, respectively.