Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
So you've (re)discovered LEGO!

Welcome (back)! This is a thread for those of us who engage in the hobby in various ways. Some of us are collectors, some of us just like building sets to display, and some of us use the pieces to make new creations of our own, known in the hobby as MOCs (My Own Creation). We all share one magical thing in common, though: we all spend way too much money on plastic toy bricks.

And hey, you came at a good time. LEGO has really focused down hard on the adult market lately. There are themes aimed largely or entirely at adult builders, including 18+ (formerly Creator Expert), Ideas, Architecture, and Speed Champions. There's also a ton of crossover into IPs such as Star Wars, Harry Potter, Super Mario, and the MCU, as well as crossover tie-ins and collaborations with other hobbies and franchises like television (Friends, Seinfeld), shoes (Adidas), guitars (Fender), and, of course, The Spice Girls. Essentially, the company's ability to dig its hooks into fresh, new LEGO customers has arguably never been higher.

FAQs:

Q:
How should I sort my LEGO?

A: If you have a large amount, sort by part type. Generally, we don't sort by color unless we want to set aside a particularly special or rare color like chrome gold. The reason for this is that it's much easier to find a red 2 x 2 plate in a pile of various colored 2 x 2 plates than it is to find a red 2 x 2 plate in a pile of various red plates.

For small to medium collections, a go-to technique is using nested plastic resealable bags, with large bags for general part types (bricks, plates, slopes, tiles, car parts, minifig parts, etc) containing smaller bags for more specific sub-categories. For larger collections, small parts / hardware cabinets are your best bet. Akro Mils multi-drawer small parts cabinets are the hobby standard.

Q: How do I clean my old LEGO?

A: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3328496&pagenumber=1572&perpage=40#post516708366

Q: Why do my old brown pieces keep breaking?

A: From about 2010 to 2018, LEGO switched their method of producing pieces, and they experienced some growing pains. Darker colored parts with large amounts of red pigment such as Reddish Brown, Dark Brown, Dark Red, and Dark Orange became particularly brittle. These older pieces are prone to snapping. The issue has since been fixed and LEGO Customer Service will replace your damaged pieces for you.

Q: Why do you keep calling it LEGO instead of legos?

A:

Q:
How/where do I buy LEGO?

A: Right off their website would be a good starting point. If you buy directly from LEGO, make a VIP account. You will earn points that can go to rewards such as exclusive VIP sets or discounts on purchases. Keep track of upcoming major set releases and get 'em while you can, because demand for LEGO is through the goddamn roof these days and certain sets can and will go out of stock quickly, and stay that way for a while.

It's worth keeping an eye on sites like Amazon and Zavvi for occasional deals and exclusives.

Physical stores are a good bet, too, of course: LEGO stores, Target, Barnes & Noble, etc.

For loose pieces, you have a few options:

1. Pick-A-Brick online / Bricks & Pieces. LEGO's official part fulfilment service. You can use this to buy new pieces directly from LEGO. Especially good for acquiring larger quantities of parts that only came in small numbers in official sets.
2. Pick-A-Brick walls in physical LEGO stores. For a flat rate by volume, you can purchase loose pieces of particular types from the wall. The wall refreshes now and then with new stock. This is typically the most cost effective "normal" way to buy LEGO, assuming they stock pieces you want. Fill a large cup with small pieces like 1 x 1 tiles and you can end up paying less than a cent per piece.
3. Bricklink. This is the main aftermarket source. Bricklink is an aggregate marketplace of thousands of individual sellers all over the world, all of whom are selling individual pieces (and/or sets). You can browse by store, or create a wishlist of parts and fulfill it using multiple stores. There's a definite learning curve to using this site, but if you need the greatest variety of pieces (or any out-of-production pieces), this is your option.
4. LUGbulk. If you're serious about LEGO and you need a lot of pieces, you need to join a LUG- specifically, an RLUG (Recognized LEGO Users Group). This is basically just an adult LEGO club that is formally recognized by LEGO. They have access to a once-a-year program called LUGbulk, wherein the club picks a variety of pieces out of a list of nearly every single part in current production, and members of the LUG can then order those parts in essentially infinite quantities (albeit with a maximum spending limit per person). Nobody involved is allowed to discuss specific pricing, but I will tell you: it's very cheap. Our club ordered about 250,000 pieces this year.

Other resources:

Discord server, "Something AFOL": https://discord.gg/MRysheuRMN

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/download.page - Bricklink Studio, arguably the best and easiest to use LEGO CAD software. Features Bricklink integration, instructions-making functionality, a built-in renderer, and PartDesigner, which can also be used for custom graphics.

Sites and blogs:

https://brickset.com/ - Broad appeal general blog. News, reviews, articles, part and set database.
https://www.brothers-brick.com/ - Community MOC features. Reviews and occasional news.
https://www.newelementary.com/ - New part coverage. Reviews, techniques, behind-the-scenes stuff.
https://rebrickable.com/home/ - Custom LEGO instructions made by users.
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/ - Largest Euro community and forums. Great source of new MOCs, especially Technic and Scale Model.

(image credit)

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I made some figs for all the Western crap I've been doing lately. All guns and pointy implements are from Brickarms.

Official LEGO figs with better equipment

Bandits and thugs

Morally ambiguous gunslingers with mysterious pasts and townfolk

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Flavor Bear posted:

Why are so many of their hands upside down? :gonk:
Hahah I knew that would bother someone / a lot of people. For the angles of the guns, mostly. They can't hold a gun straight up vertical or down at their hip as if they just drew it if the hands are facing the right way. They can only hold stuff extended out in front of them.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Using BrickArms stuff is just as bad as using MegaBloks. :colbert:
I'm OK with aftermarket stuff for figs, but absolutely not for MOCs. I can re-shoot all those figs holding generic revolvers and rifles tomorrow if you'd like. :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

runlegosleeprepeat posted:

So is this just an OCD Lego nerd thread? I'm way into Legos, I use them for my job, I teach kids how to use them properly, but I'm not excited about the decoration pieces the way you guys are. I'm much more interested in how Legos can be used to express engineering ideas and actually DO things.
Hey, different people like LEGO for different things. Some like the fancy spaceships, some like the minifigs, some use it as a medium for sculptures and busts, and some use the Technic side of things for advanced mechanics like yourself. I think we'd be more than happy to see what you've come up with, but I don't see any need to disparage somebody else's appreciation of the hobby because they prefer a different aspect.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Sham I Am posted:

I am curious as to how much you guys tend to spend on this hobby a year?
I started getting back into it sometime around when Fire Brigade was announced, I think, and Brickset tells me I've spent $1400. It doesn't count Bricklink purchases, though, so add a couple hundred there. I know that's still on the low end compared to a lot of us.

3 posted:

Counterpoint.
He was a great builder, but the modded and clone parts do kinda bother me.

When I'm designing a MOC, I start with the most important or difficult part and work around it, piecing it all together. I love the challenge of finding a way for the parts to go together and work the way I envision them. Modifying parts feels like cheating or giving up on trying to make it work within the constraints of the LEGO system and it wouldn't be satisfying for me. It also conflicts with another thing I love about LEGO, which is that any part can be anything. Revolvers can be handlebars, pillars can be gun barrels, minifig limbs can be furniture. Cutting or painting a part to fit your MOC removes that freedom and makes it just another overly specialized piece modified just for the purpose of one MOC.

So yeah, I like Brickarms stuff for figs, but I wouldn't use anything like that in the actual build phase. Exceptions: Stuff that there really is no way to do with LEGO, such as advanced lighting systems and those alternate size train drivers and such.

I'm cool with decals most of the time, too. I just don't like it when they're used to create detail that could have been brick built, like vents or something.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I caved and bought Emerald Night. I have no use for it and nowhere to put it but holy poo poo it's a pretty sweet build and it's VERY impressive to look at.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Cool poo poo to sit on your desk? The architecture series comes to mind:

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=627&d=70

All except Fallingwater are $50 or less

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Oh wow this new thread title is way better. Nicely done.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

What's the thread consensus on LeoCAD? It has a pretty extensive part library, comparable to LDraw's, but in my experience LeoCAD is much more user-friendly.
I missed this! I like LeoCAD quite a bit because I prefer the way it controls over MLCAD. The parts selection is identical to MLCAD because they both use LDraw to generate the library. Once you've figured out how it calculates distance, you can place pieces with incredible precision.

Downsides: No auto-snap / auto-connect, so if all you've used is LDD, it'll be a bit of a bitch to handle. Pretty limited color palate, too.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Goddamn Bricklink owns but it's so dangerous. I've got $350 worth of sets and parts in the mail now and I still need more pieces for my current project.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

BrainWeasel posted:

This was posted in the PYF funny pictures thread. Anyone know who built it, and if they have instructions?

It was blogged on BB recently

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2010/07/17/let-the-game-continue/

Everyone really should follow this blog, by the way!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
News! Upcoming sets!

10214 Tower Bridge: 4,287 pieces, 219,99€, coming in October

10216 Winter Village Bakery: ~700 pieces, 54,99€, coming in October

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Oh yeah also this

10125 Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter

Details here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44391

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Duvel posted:

This is not worth 100$
I'd pay $60 for it if I cared about Star Wars!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Flavor Bear posted:

I am such a fag for wanting this.
You should consider picking up its predecessor on Bricklink or something:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10199-1

You can get 'em for only $15 to $20 more than their original price, which is kind of funny - they ran short of the demand for the set around Christmas, presumably because scalpers were buying them up in bulk, and now they've only raised in value by $15 or so due to there being SO MANY available now on the secondary market. There's one guy on BL with 30 of these things.

e: Sadly most of those are overseas, it seems. Cheapest US one is $90.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

LarryCsonka posted:

I am pretty excited. First set I have gotten in 10 years
That's awesome! Nice choice of set to start again with, too. Lots of possibilities there.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I did this. I finally decided to try getting in on that scalping thing and picked up 3 of those Winter Toy Shops. Now that I see tons available
Wow, it's even still in stock in parts of Europe: http://shop.lego.com/Product/Default.aspx?p=10199

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

As far as short demand, my local Lego Store simply had boxes upon boxes of the Winter Toy Shop even up to a week before Christmas. It didn't seem to be a very hot set at the time and I guess that is showing in the second hand market.
I got the last one from my LEGO store sometime in November and they never got any more. I was reading on Eurobricks at the time about a number of people in the states being unable to find the set, versus people overseas swimming in them.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I got my Fort Legoredo and Sheriff's Lock-Up in the mail to compliment Gold City Junction and I've got all the parts ordered to build my saloon (wow I chose a really loving expensive color palate). Sweet Western layout, here I come!

edit: Reddish brown, tan, black, dark brown, dark green, dark orange, dark red. That got reeeaaally expensive really fast.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 22, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

BrainWeasel posted:

Upload them to Waffleimages if you must. And listing the parts by module would probably be most useful for people who want to take parts of your design.
Assuming they already have the necessary parts, of course. Otherwise, a master parts list would probably be for the best.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Someone snuck an S into the thread title. I was actually thinking of adding some reference to the legos/LEGO thing in the OP but decided that that was a terrible idea.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
So here's what that's all about by the way

The LEGO Group posted:

Using the LEGO brand name

Please help us to protect our brand name:
• The LEGO brand name should always be written in capital letters
• LEGO must never be used as a generic term or in the plural or as a
possessive pronoun, e.g. “LEGO’s”.
• When the LEGO brand name is used as part of a noun, it must never
appear on its own. It should always be accompanied by a noun. For ex
ample, LEGO set, LEGO products, LEGO Group, LEGO play materials,
LEGO bricks, LEGO universe, etc.
• The first time the LEGO brand name appears it must be accompanied
by the Registered symbol ®.
Thank you for helping us!
As you know, pretty much everyone in the world except hardcore fans call 'em "legos," which bothers companies like The LEGO Group because it turns their brand name into a generic term that can refer to clone brands and imitators, kind of how like any brand of paper tissue is called a Kleenex.

HOWEVER there's no good reason for anyone to really give a gently caress unless they're representing the company officially so call 'em what you want, it's really not a big deal and it's silly to get upset about. It's also one of the very worst derails that pops up in SA LEGO threads because it's completely pointless.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

BrainWeasel posted:

I dunno, looks kinda like modeling clay and decals.
Every prototype LEGO shows for new molds looks like that. The PoP stuff certainly did, with the ostriches looking particularly rough. I'd say we're almost definitely getting LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I didn't know 'bout all them fancy programs. I recently ordered parts for a project that has about 1,500 pieces and I made the Bricklink wanted list by hand. It took two days. :(

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Revol posted:

What is the 'MyWanted ListNo' and where do I find it?
Go to Bricklink, make a new Wanted list if you don't already have one, then go to the Wanted tab -> My Wanted List and it should appear on the right in this format:
code:
ID     Name       Items  Del
12345  Spaceship  75     [ ]
I believe the ID is the number you're looking for here.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Duvel posted:

Wow the new star wars sets continually to be ridiculously overpriced. Sigh :(
Licensed themes always cost more than regular system stuff due to the cost of licensing, and Star Wars is such a ridiculous cash cow that they can get away with charging just a little more on top of that because people will pay it. Hell, they'll pay it for just the figs.

"Sure, I got me a Boba Fett or two, but I can get one with printing on his arms?! Time to break out the credit card!"

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 29, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ElwoodCuse posted:

I saw this house at Target today for the first time.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8403-1

It was $39.99 for 383 pieces, and it also said "special edition" on the box, but I don't see what exactly is special about it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Special Edition generally just means that either that retailer gets first crack at selling it, or you can only buy that set from that retailer or a LEGO store.

The set's nice, and I like seeing neat things like solar panels and tree houses, but I don't tend to think of that style of house having such a large front yard.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wow, some very cool stuff in this thread guys.

I have only a tacit interest in LEGO myself, but I'd like to get something nice that can sit somewhere in my home as a display piece. I like the look of that big Green Grocer set I've seen on a few sites. Can anyone comment about that set and whether it's a fun build and truly looks good in the end? And what are the chances of going into my local TRU and finding it on the shelves? (obviously I can order online from a millions places, but buying local is always preferable)
It looks phenomenal in the end. The build is pretty fun since you're always adding details here and there are no annoying "okay you built one of these sub-models, now do it 10 more times" sections like you find on all three of the other modular buildings. You won't find it at TRU, though. If you've got a LEGO store nearby, they should have it; otherwise, you'll probably be ordering it in.

Sorry I don't have a photo of Green Grocer on its own, but here's all four of the official modulars:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
For a fruit-themed thread on Eurobricks:

I was also testing some macro filters I just bought for my camera. Love 'em!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Archaeology Hat posted:

Lots of LEGO sets have pretty unfortunate implications when you actually think about it. Thing is I'm not sure a kid will pick up on it in a serious way, the way I remember my childhood remember being completely oblivious to all manner of things that I only really pick up on now I'm all grown up.

Those poor LEGO Pirates islanders...
Surprisingly, in the Western line, they resisted the "cowboys and indians" urge by never putting cowboys in the same sets with native Americans and making the primary conflict be bandits versus cowboys/army. I always liked to have ambiguous "sides," though, by making the bandits sometimes work with the native Americans and the army not always help the cowboys and such.

That said, it's still a theme in which two major factions are the US Army and the native Americans, which is pretty risky for LEGO.

edit: :siren: drat :siren:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44402&st=75&p=786507&#entry786507

That is SO MANY tan cheese slopes

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 6, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
At least I've got BrickCon to look forward to here. It's really gotten a LOT bigger recently so I'll bring a camera this time. Maybe I'll exhibit some stuff? I dunno, almost everything I make is really small.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Oxyclean posted:

I'd buy the poo poo out of that one Sherman tank if it was a set. There is not nearly enough lego tanks.
This is for you.

http://www.mechanizedbrick.com/mb.html

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Hobnob posted:

Nowadays you can get Nazis with guns in the Indiana Jones sets, so I don't see why they couldn't have an armed forces theme with tanks and warships and whatever.
They're still whimsical and cinematic, and they're depicted as generic German bad guys. They don't have swastikas or anything. That said, the relatively new LEGO tommy guns and semiautomatic pistols caught me by surprise, especially since they were released with the Batman sets where they weren't even really necessary - LEGO could have gotten by fine with unarmed or revolver-toting thugs in those sets. The handgun is the first truly "modern" firearm we've gotten, and LEGO certainly has taken a shift toward the violent lately.

Still, Indiana Jones and Batman are comics and movies. LEGO wants to avoid glamorizing real violence, which is why weapons appear in licensed and action themes, but City police are armed with megaphones and radios. I strongly doubt a military theme will appear, though we might get tanks and soldiers and guns as a side-effect of various licenses.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are there ever any Lego reps at the cons, and if so, do they just ignore stuff like this or do they walk around clucking their tongues and giving disapproving looks to stuff like this and vendors like Brickarms?
BrickCon has a LEGO table / large booth in it, and the reps there seem every bit as into it as anyone else. Not every rep is an exact embodiment of the philosophy of the toy. They dig tanks and guns and poo poo as much as the next guy.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
HEY GUYS: Did you miss the Series 1 figs? Want 'em without paying silly scalper prices or whatever they're going for? Proposition:

I want a set of the Series 2 figs but I have no money. What I DO have is an extra set of Series 1! I'd be happy to trade my full set of Series 1 figs (all spare parts, bases, etc included) for your full set of #2 if anyone's up for it. US preferred so we both save money shipping. I'm in WA, 98388.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the penishands mecha:

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something but the connection for its eyes doesn't look possible (which I normally wouldn't mention, but you said you've ordered parts).

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

This is more of an experiment in SNOT than anything:

I'm referring specifically to the conflict between the yellow piece and the blue one. Take a close look in LDD and you'll see them clipping through each other. I'm not sure why the program allows that connection.

edit: Doesn't look like it'd be a big enough problem for it not to hold well enough, though

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Amazon has 21005 fallingwater for $70, and it's going on bricklink for like $90 with like one sold a month. Do I invest?
I don't think it's really an investment kind of set.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Now that people are finding the Series 2 figs here and there, a friendly reminder of my earlier offer: I'll trade a complete set of Series 1 for your complete set of Series 2, in case you missed (or want another set of) the first!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

BrainWeasel posted:

Man, I really want some of those parts in the minifig collections to make it to general production. I can't find the minifigs locally and I don't want to pay collectors' prices on Bricklink/Ebay.
The collectible Minifigs are produced in China, in part because they have a lot of new molds and it's cheaper to set up new, limited use molds in the Chinese factories (which is why other stuff like PoP ostriches and Toy Story figs are produced in China, too). If LEGO wanted to start putting the new pieces from the collectible figs in other sets, they'd have to make molds for those parts. It's certainly possible, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen, and if it doesn't, they can say it's because they wanted to keep the Minifigs series more unique and collectible.

So, maybe, but don't hold your breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Bophf posted:

Hey, OP, if no one's taken you up on the offer of trading a full set of series 2 for series 1, we just finished collecting two sets of them (with a ton of others to spare, but only two spartans in total) and would be more than happy to send them if you'd like. :) We're in NJ so shipping shouldn't be too horrendous, I hope.

edit: Added crap picture because having like 2 posts despite being on the forums since 2006 is probably shifty.
Oh yeah, I'm down! Email me: redacted

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 25, 2010