Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I was chattin' with someone in the thread last night when I remembered I have these old, terrible photos. Well, the MOC's been done for months now, so might as well put SOMETHING up. I'll try to re-shoot this tomorrow. A lot of these photos got absolutely blasted by sunlight because I decided to shoot them right around sundown. :downs:

"How the hell do we both have a full house, kings over aces? Again?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Forum Actuary posted:

Wow that Saloon is incredible, I never made anything that detailed. You even gave them perfect reaction faces. Is the lettering on the front made of bricks or something else? And yeah, the lighting looks loving great.
The lettering is all bricks. There's a tiny bit of color variation in the brown because the 1 x 1 plate with headlight clip only exists in regular brown, and everything else is reddish brown:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=10567&colorID=8

Also look how rare those fuckers are. I tracked down 15 of them for this project. There's only one seller (remaining) who has a decent stock of them and he wants $2.35 each for those. Other annoying poo poo to find: 4 brown 1 x 4 x 3 windows, 8 black panes, the red crate (that piece costs 11 dollars iirc), and a lot of those little dark green pieces.

edit:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=356&colorID=5
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=733&colorID=8
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=734&colorID=11

gently caress all of those. Red crates were only ever in 1 set, black panes were in 2 sets, and brown windows were in 2 sets. drat my love of rare pieces.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 25, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I'm almost reluctant to post this. This is the sort of thing that led to the thread title change debacle last time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerac/4949103951/

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Invictus posted:

Looks to be yeah, painted red and black. I see lots of custom decals too, can't tell if the Assault Cannon on the Landspeeder is Lego or not though, seems too small and intricate to be Lego.
Looks like bars or flex tubing wedged into a rubber tire. I think it's all LEGO there.

e: Yeah it's 6 bar pieces wedged into a tire on the back, rubber band around the front, and the bottom support beam is made of a bar, two minifig hands, and some rubber tubing.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

InfinEight posted:

I've managed to get decent pictures with just a roll of white paper and regular overhead lights w/o diffusion:

But there would always be shadows
IMO, you want shadows. Helps avoid the 'floating in a void of nothingness' effect. Here's a lego thing and a non-lego thing. These were shot on a piece of white foamboard with natural indirect lighting, no flash.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Invictus posted:

They are really getting mileage out of that loving airplane nose.
It gets... even worse, actually. It doesn't even look remotely appropriate there.

On a related note, when I went looking for that pic, I found more 2011 catalog scans. Looks like Adventurers is back (under a new name but it totally looks like Adventurers to me)!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54191445@N03/

e: and the vintage motorcycle mold that was only in one set previously is back:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54191445@N03/5016203116/

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 27, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Evek posted:

Oh god my wallet is going to hate me next year. I now have three Pharohs from the Series 2 minifigs to go along with the new Adventures line. I just need more Spartans to fill up a pre-sunk Atlantis set.

Does anyone know how they will be inventorying Series 3? Have they gotten rid of the barcode? It really doesn't matter as they all look better than Series 2.
Yep, no more barcodes after series 2. Good luck!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ireladd posted:

Now I need to track down a Cafe Corner and Oh GoD The COMpuLsION IS kilLINg ME!
How serious are ya? I might part with mine. :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ireladd posted:

Oh good lord, my lego money spending is at ridiculous levels. How much were you thinking, because I'm definitely interested. :)
Here, email me so we don't clutter up the thread: redacted

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 28, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Went to Target today to look at LEGOS, was thinking of picking up the creators crane or dump truck but decided I shouldn't spend that much. Then I saw the series 2 minifigs on the way out and decided to buy them...38 of them so more than I would have spent on either of the sets I wanted.

Got 12 of the 16 no spartan, disco dude, dracula or skier. Have an over abundance of cops and circus dudes. Not sure what I'm going to do with all the minifigs now that they are assembled and on a plate.
Reminds me of when I bought 60 figs from LEGO when they took the order limits off and ended up with 11 divers. :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Aww, my poor thread. :(

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Chris Knight posted:

gently caress DUPLO, it's all about Fabuland and you know it :gay:
Fabuland has an non-ironic following on Eurobricks for some reason. I don't really get it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Pyroclastic posted:

Anyone else going to BrickCon this weekend? It'll be kinda a long day for me, but my goal is to get in on the after-hours trip to the Lego Store on Friday.
I wish. I planned to, but I'm in California for a relative's wedding until late Sunday. I was hoping to see about potential new Brickarms stuff, since my cowboys need lever guns.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
That saloon overshadows everything.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Guzwar posted:

Why does that town not have a brothel?

Also, the key question: is the sheriff black?
1. You don't know what goes on in that hotel. How do you think they got enough money for such a huge building?

2. I don't subscribe to the idea of flesh tones. All LEGO people are happy yellow. :colbert:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Mozzie posted:

Encase you didn't get the reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upvZdVK913I
I get the reference, no worries. I'm working on building the identical facsimile town so bandits don't destroy this one.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
This is the first set I remember building on my own:

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6670-1

Kind of a unique one in retrospect, being a 5-wide vehicle. I loved the transparent red 1 x 2 slopes and those striped warning tiles.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Indolent Bastard posted:

Series 3 have no bar codes correct?
Indeed. :(

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Pyroclastic posted:

The pics aren't great, but they look legit, so keep your eyes open!
Looks very legit, and it's quite heartening that they're appearing here in WA so early, considering S1 and S2 took for-loving-ever to get here! I'd be tempted to grab a couple off him if he wasn't all the way up in Marysville. I'm not driving 80 miles each way for a few minifigs.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Oh here's some confirmation on that Series 3 in the Seattle Fred Meyer thing, from some guy on a site called Toys N Bricks:

Also, series 4 rumors be flyin'. This site has some Dutch text that translates roughly to: "The Monster, Surfing Girl, Sailor, Kimono Girl (Geisha?), Punk, Viking, Speed Skater, Hockey Player, Skateboarder, Man in Safety Suit (???), Musketeer, Werewolf, Artist, Mad Professor, Football Player and Garden Gnome."

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Taeke posted:

Speed Skater should be Ice Skater, otherwise a perfectly fine translation. :)
I'd love to take credit for the translation, but I'm sadly monolingual.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Pyroclastic posted:

That rear end in a top hat. 12 boxes, 720 figs, $1440 sitting on that conveyor belt. And I bet they show up on Ebay/Craigslist/Bricklink for $5 apiece.

Edit--
Ok, turns out the guy isn't a scalper, he's a minifig whore.
You were right about one part, though - a guy on Seattle CL does indeed have them up for $5/ea.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

EvilJoven posted:

I want to find out who had the bright idea to start pumping out light bluish gray pieces and punch them in the dick. They apparently stopped making the 'normal' light gray in 2008.
The switch to bley in '07 or so made me pissed enough to stop buying lego for a good 2 years after. I like the look of the new shade, and you can get some cool brick wall variation by mixing the new and old, but it STILL bothers me that all the old grey from the 70's to now is now incompatible. Nobody talks about the color switch anymore because it was really beaten into the ground when it happened, but... I still hate it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I couldn't find any minifigs at Toys R Us, but Pharaoh's Quest is out! I got three of the scarab sets. They're currently swarming over my desk. :3:

I wish the Anubis warriors came in a set other than the $100 one, though. The mummy warriors are cool and all, but not nearly as cool as those guys.
I dig the Pharaoh's Quest sets (and bought two of them) because the main protagonist and the mechanic guy have good torsos for my Western setup. That's right, I'm just in it for the figs.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Tanith posted:

It is people like you who ruin my attempts to get perfectly good sets on Ebay so I can actually play with them. :mad:
Hey, I built the sets! I made the little rhinoceros beetle (it is totally not a scarab) and staff holder deal and admired their design and new parts and such before I tore the figs apart for my own purposes!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

InfinEight posted:

I'm not sure what's more impressive: its size, or the sheer determination the builder had to hoard enough pieces to make it.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.
Hmm. How's the swooshability?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I've got the Kingdom one. The Bellevue LEGO store had plenty of them, but none of the City one for some reason.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

zenintrude posted:

Depends on whether or not the online store has physical operations in the state in which the product will ultimately be delivered to...

i.e. California residents pay taxes on Newegg purchases, everyone pays taxes on Best Buy purchases, etc.
Living in WA sucks. I hate getting taxed for Amazon purchases.

Anyway, for the two people here who read this thread but not Brothers Brick, check this poo poo:

http://sariel.pl/2010/10/leopard-2a4/

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Veeb0rg posted:

It might have been, it shows in stock at my local tru's.

I've been bitten by the minifig bug.. I got series 2 and am looking for series 1, any one got a spare set they'd part with?
I'm saving my last spare set of Series 1 to trade for a Series 3 once they're more available!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Sold pending funds!

So, anyone looking for the modular buildings? I'm looking to sell all 4 for $600, which is exactly what they would have cost new, and is a good deal when you consider how drat expensive Cafe Corner is these days (about $400 on its own)!

photo for the photo gods (ignore the extra random figs):

edit: all complete with instructions and boxes

Sold pending funds!

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 2, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Thought I'd share some 'study' kinda stuff I did a while ago (before the invention of the 1x1 brick with stud on 1 side, so there's a lot of technic brick + half pin instead).

Basic SNOT pattern. At the time, I wanted to use this pattern as trim around a pillar. I wanted the pillar to be 4 x 4 studs and have that pattern on each surface. The "brick 1x1 with stud on 1 side" completely trivializes this issue, but at the time, this was my solution:

Just screwing around with patterns and stuff.

This took a lot of playing around with because it has some really bizarre offsets to get that yellow border on it.

Turns out the top and sides of the 1 x 4 x 5 window frame are exactly one plate thick, and the base of it is 1.5 plates thick, so you can fit stuff in there! The two halves are just kinda floating and would need to be held in place from the back.

Trying to make a "perfect" octagon pattern. This was my first attempt - I was overthinking it.

Much better!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

oneof27 posted:

Can the bricklink guide be added to the OP? That is really helpful and I'd hate for it to get lost in the expanse of pages.
Added a note at the bottom of the OP

einTier posted:

It rapidly climbed past $80, past $100, then right at the $130 mark.
Bricklink is great, but poo poo gets expensive. I designed this in LDD and used BL to source the parts and it cost me a good $250 or so across 6 or 7 orders.

I got this bike done in 2 orders for about $6 total though!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

I envy your day.

Holy hell that's cool!
Would you be willing to share your plans? I think I already have a lot of those parts!
I have the LDD file on another hard drive somewhere; I've switched computers since. I could try to dig it up for ya though! Fair warning, it's more parts than it looks, especially with the full interior. Brickshelf gallery

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
saloon:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rb4o6e0p65abeoo/saloonb.lxf

The model is split into floors in that file for easy rebuilding down the road. If it loads and says 2 parts are missing, it's bits of the lanterns on the second floor. It does that sometimes. Also, this is an LDD file retroactively created from the finished model, so it's a little bit different than the one in the brickshelf folder and may have a couple mistakes, but mostly in tiny subtle unimportant ways!

Here are some fun details from it!

Piano:

Saloon sign (I made a big dent in Bricklink's supply of these back when I made this so sorry they all cost a lot now):

Hotel sign:

How the walls are done:

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 22, 2012

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Ahh I feel bad for abandoning this thread for so long. :(

I haven't messed with lego for a long-rear end time, but I was inspired by the new brick-textured piece and made a thing. See, I love taking textured pieces and playing with them and flipping them around, like turning log bricks and track pieces sideways to make cabin and siding textures or whatever.

The idea behind this moc was to use textures, not color, to detail the building. The theme in my head was "noir", so I had two ground rules based on that: 1) no color. White, gray, dark gray, and black only. 2) no transparent or metallic pieces. Windows would be solid color only. I was going for drab and dull, so shiny things would kind of kill that. Here's what I came up with!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Got me an Ecto-1 today. Feeling good.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Okay so the Ecto-1!

First off, though all the pre-release reviews mentioned pages falling out of the instruction books, mine had no such problem.

This build has a lot of really clever moments. The angled side windows are probably the most obvious, and they work wonderfully. The set also found a good use for the 4x4 corner plate, where it actually feels like it was used well for stability and strength instead of just being a "why not use a 2x4 with a 2x2" sort of scenario. The blue hose on the side is pretty brilliant, too - it's just one piece of hydraulic tube looped around on itself and tucked under the roof detailing so the roof can be removed easily without having to disconnect said tubing.

They're really generous with the silver bits, too - 1x1 round plates, cheese slopes, and 1x2 grill tiles in good numbers, plus a few 1x1 round bricks and a couple 1x2 cheese grater slopes. Oh, and those gorgeous hubcaps made out of the barbell weights piece. Interestingly, the set uses a bunch of 1x2 light gray cheese slopes, but no regular 1x1 light gray cheese slopes. There's a place where two of them are needed, and the set uses two silver ones instead. So yeah, definitely generous with the silver.

Also building this reminds me of how much LEGO loves to reinforce its connections. It's a total tank. The front bumper/light section is connected by 12 SNOT studs, and the sides are basically pure SNOT - there are just rows and rows of brackets for everything to connect to.

I like that they used that trick where two same-side 2x3 wing plates fit against each other to form a solid surface. Plenty of us have been doing that forever, but somebody is gonna learn about that trick for the first time in this set, and that's pretty cool.

The figs own, and their stand has the Ghostbusters logo attached in a notably clever way - it's attached by both a pair of headlight bricks and a 1x2 bracket plate, utilizing both vertical and horizontal 1/2 plate offsetting. It's completely unnecessary and entirely gratuitous, especially since white headlight bricks aren't used anywhere else in the set. It's really more of a "hey look at this cool technique" sort of thing, which is awesome.

One last thing - the current mold of the 1x1 tiles with the clip on top? They have the strongest grip I've seen in ages. Like, it's ridiculous, they have immense friction both in the clip and bottom. There are 7 points in the build where you connect a 1x1 round plate to the bottom of one, and I don't envy whoever gets to sit there and pry those fuckers back apart. I'm glad this is purely a display set for me.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 1, 2014

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Wow, I picked a good time to check on this thread for the first time in years. Popped over to Wal-Mart and got the Creator Lighthouse, Ninjago Lighthouse, Ninjago Tumbler, Tail Gator, and Imperial Hovertank for $118 (down from $260). Dope.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I only had time to get through part 3 before I had to go to work, but I'm already in love with the detail just in the groundwork, especially the waste drain. Also, my store (Northpark Dallas) apparently had distribution issues and only got the set about 1 hour before they opened, so they didn't have any built on display and only had 2 on the shelf. I and the only other family waiting for the store to open each got one, so it worked out, but I'm definitely glad I was there when they opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I had a day off so I powered through Ninjago City. Wow, what a fantastic build. It never got old or tedious past laying the water tiles, and all the detail work is phenomenal. The build stays interesting throughout, especially the middle layers which sprawl out horizontally before climbing upward. I had a great time, the final model is gorgeous, and I highly recommend it.

Edit: here are just the spare parts afterward

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 18, 2017