Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

radlum posted:

Are there any good Lego themed coffee table books? All I can find in my local bookstores are Star Wars related lego books

I almost lost it when I saw this, but I was in Barnes & Noble for the little guy presents. It comes with an OG orange space minifig, and is a incredibly detailed history.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lego-minifigure-a-visual-history-new-edition-gregory-farshtey/1137571710?ean=9780744023732

For people that like these kinds of things, another favorite of mine is The Art of Atari. It’s an awesome homage to the technical and artistic work required back then:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-atari-tim-lapetino/1123814218?ean=9781524101039

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

In other news, building the Home Alone build is like devoting your life to… something that takes forever I guess. The manual is almost an inch thick, I’m on step 420 (natch) - for perspective, it’s taking twice as long as Sesame Street did (which is now in pieces in a LEGO table, RIP)

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

A question: What’s a good way to display these things when there’s a toddler in play? My assumption is deep shelves at least 6 feet off of the floor, but does anyone have a cool setup they’d want to share? I want to get Sesame Street rebuilt, the lunar lander, Home Alone and then I have some art ones which appear ready to just mount on the wall (history of space & The Big Wave)

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Whomever suggested not adding a light kit to the Home Alone set: I had attempted to do so after mom bought one for the Sesame Street set (which younger lil man destroyed in earnest)…

Just seeing the actual ‘not lights’ setup at the end of the Home Alone set, I wouldn’t turn that into LEDs with a gun to my head lol

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Just learned about the new Lego Mario sets coming later this year (and that they’re doing Mario Kart).

The train looks so cool. I’m such a sucker for this stupid sub-theme. It’s gotten me “playing” with legos (as opposed to just building sets) more than any theme in my entire life. It’s all just so clever and charming how they recreate recognizable Mario video game characters and gameplay mechanics using Lego bricks.

Stretch goal: afford them

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I just truly finished the Home Alone set, treehouse and fake basement and all. Anyone got a suggestion of how to install some boss LEGO shelves that could accomodate something like that set? “oh, it’s just a flat house”, “oh, it has a back staircase and fake basement”, “oh, it has a treehouse with a zipline” sort of shelving? I love the IDEA (yuk yuk) but goddamnit who gave these IDEAs people infinite XxY pixels haha

Edit: To be constructive (yuk yuk yuk) it feels like a 6x6’ wall of 3 or 4 1.5’ shelves would do it, I just want it to look nice so my wife doesn’t hate me

Edit x2: I also have the Sesame Street, lunar lander, ISS, and one shelves’ worth of architectural sets if that helps. The Atari 2600 as well; for scale I assume it would take half of one of these shelves, between the console/game holder/statues. Damnit, I am a hoarder.

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Good-Natured Filth posted:

When our kids aren't playing with it, we put it on one of our shelves in the room with the LEGO. But we take the kitchen/basement module off the house and put it on the side because it's too deep otherwise. The shelves we have are 4' wide and 10" deep, we have 9 in the room (3 on each wall), and they display various memorabilia and LEGO sets we don't want the kids touching.

The Home Alone house was a family build and probably our second favorite so far (the Super Mario 64 Question Mark Block being our favorite).

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, thanks!