Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
When I went to the PAB wall at the Brighton (England) Lego store, I was slightly disappointed because it was almost all bricks. Proper bricks like 2x4 blocks in various colours. None of the nice interesting little bits that I was hoping for. There were stairs, orange flames and stems/flowers, but nearly everything else was bricks, so I passed.

Also, a large cup was £11 ($16), so... uh, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Series 3 Minifigs GO!

I want Space Pirate/Cyborg and Legolas. Also that samurai.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arkannoyed posted:

my four-year-old nephew and I collaborated on this (by which I mean he kept handing me pieces and I had to try to figure out where to put them):

Hey, that's how they designed the Time Cruisers sets! :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh for gently caress's sake...

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > I am a 8th level Ninjago Ice Warrior. Ask me about Spinjitzu.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Final Gloom posted:

Also, apparently the space shuttle set will come with a Space Dog. Yeah I have no idea either.

:confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

So on a whim I searched Flickr for GIJoe themed MOCs, and found this guy's stuff. He's insane.

Oh wow! That's amazing!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Best Spacecraft - Rimasuchus

Pssh, that's Red Dwarf.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Muppetjedi posted:

Red Dwarf, you say?

Needs more greebles.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Guzwar posted:

Oh balls, he did a Batcave and STARCOM :monocle:

All the working M.A.S.K. stuff is blowing my mind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The one time I saw an 2010 advent calendar, half of it had been opened up and was missing. But considering that TRU has about 1 security camera, that's not surprising.

So, my dad is clearing out our garage, and presented me with a 8.5x14x16 cardboard box full of Lego. Literally full. He'd bought it a couple of years while I was away and had completely forgotten about it. I bought some plastic containers to start sorting it, but those are already full, and I've still got about a third of the box to go.

The one downside which I found out half way through.. there's MegaBlocks in there. Gah. Luckily, it seems to only be black pieces, but it means I'm now checking it all more carefully while sorting now. And I'll have to go through the black bin now to make sure. It really is crappy stuff, isn't it? I'm putting it all together as a mass to make sure I don't lose any, but it seems to have trouble fitting to itself.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Veeb0rg posted:

Sorting out mega/tyco/misc blocks from large batches of Lego bought at yardsales and such will drive you nutty. I spend the better part of a week sorting one box and swear its not something I ever want to do again.

The worst part is I didn't notice until half way through sorting... I didn't even think that it wasn't all Lego. I was just "Black piece, blue piece, red piece, black piece..." :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

einTier posted:

Wow. Someone actually bought that thing.

Well, in theory someone must have because Lego's still around. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

Ok speaking of this topic, hands up, who caved (or will cave) on the "no knockoffs" rule and bought Transformers Kre-Os? I was weak and bought some and ugggghhh the plastic. It doesn't look right or feel right. I deserve this. Sorry, Lego. :(

I keep looking at them online.. I know when I get back to the US later this week, I'll run into them at a Walmart or something and cave. I think it's not so much the actual models, more the little mini-figs I'm interested in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

My plan is to use the parts list to order actual lego to build the set with, and then throw these abominations into the garbage. I guess I have to save the head, but that's it.

You're in luck! http://www.transformertoys.co.uk/content.php?/transformers-news/story/10602/Kre-O+Transformers+Instruction+Sheet+Scans+now+online.html

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

....kind of. I mean, you still need the head. Also, I have not yeat verified that every single piece also exists in official lego, though I suspect all the important ones do.

I can see some that don't, but you can fudge them with others. I'm also disappointed that they don't actually transform. I appreciate that it was a want too far, but eh. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I demand a SHIELD Heli-carrier.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

beato posted:

Some more about the Marvel and DC partnerships here:
http://www.bricksdownunder.com/2011/07/lego%AE-super-heroes-make-a-splash/

and the official site:
http://www.legosuperheroes.com/

Interesting, that's Batman in the Dark Knight movie suit. Heath Ledger Joker minifig inbound?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What would be the best way to make a clear cylinder about, say, 6-8 studs wide? I need to have stuff going on the middle of the cylinder, so it has to be hollow. There's this:

But the closest they do it in is transparent blue or smoke, not clear.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Does it need to be entirely clear and smooth?

That would be ideal, yeah. I want to have things in the centre of it you can see.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Baggy_Brad posted:

The cylinder pieces are definitely smoky black.

Well, I just ordered 4, so we'll see in a few days.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Well, I just ordered 4, so we'll see in a few days.

Actually, I ordered 2. The guy's store inventory was all up the shoot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Baggy_Brad posted:

It's definitely tinted, but it's also reasonably see through.

Here's a few shots seeing I am being not lazy this morning:

Oh wow, it's like two different pieces. Awesome, I can totally use that. I wish it was a properly clear piece, but that'll do too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I took down my Galactic Enforcer from on top of my bookcase where it's been sitting for the last 6 months.

[a] That fucker's heavy.
[b] It's SO swooshable!
[3] There's so many awesome little parts on it. I'm breaking it down to take back to the UK with me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing all the components. It's like I'm discovering it all over again.
[iv] If there's one niggle, it's that back plate ramp thing. It's so plain compared to the rest of the ship. It's just a flat black plate and that feels kinda... eh. I might have to greeble it up or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Those are surprisingly good Lego P90s :raise: Any idea who makes those? I love the use of the ski in that robot.

Brickarms do: http://www.brickarms.com/Toys/weapons/Combat_PDW.aspx

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phy posted:

Seriously, gently caress Greys. Though it ought to come with the kid legs, and maybe a window from which it can peer in at you while you sleep. (Locking it does nothing! They can abduct you through solid glass!)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

Hurricane Harbor

This is so Miami Vice it hurts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I saw s5s in my local Sainsburys, is there a guide to ID-ing them this time, or is it all touch alone? I want a Sherlock!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I went to TRU earlier and found my Sherlock pretty easily. I found a Godzilla dude too, but I didn't have enough on me (I was buying a 20 quid Transformer too).

I also spotted s4 and s5 minifigs at GAME today, too, but there were no prices on them. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Detective: The magnifying glass is very distinctive; a round raised rim with a lower lens. Also, the hat has bills in front and back, so you can distinguish it between the other hats.

I confused the clown with the detective at first, because in the bag, the hats feel very similar. It was only when I was feeling for the glass that I realised he had a pie instead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My local John Lewis had three s5 boxes out on display today.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I have all my bricks colour-sorted in various bins. Where do you break it down from there? Plates, bricks, 'special' parts (hinges, etc) and so on down?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I just found these guys in a bag at home! With a couple of exceptions, the helmets are all the first type. Neat. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I bought a tin of Lego at a car boot sale for 50p full of little creator sets (the ones that come in bags), and amongst them is this guy:

All the others I've taken apart, but I love this little blue whale so much, he's staying complete.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dame Cook posted:

That tin was probably the 2009 Mirror collection (either 12 or 13 models IIRC). I got two copies of the whale but one of the others was missing.

If it was the whole collection, you managed to beat me, I paid £1.50 for mine. I really need to start getting to boot sales again.

Boot sales can be good and bad. My parents bought me some 'Lego' at a boot sale recently. It turned out to be some horrible knockoff that had trouble sticking to itself, let alone joining to Lego. There were some bits of actual Lego in there, I managed to find 99% of this NBA Lego set and some of a droid fighter. Oh, and 2 very odd looking mini-figs and a loving huge yellow cockpit. I've been meaning to look those up.

EDIT: Oh, Jack Stone set 4617.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 30, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yuki Akuma posted:

I'm unsure what I should get next. I'm thinking it's high time I got a building to go with my vehicles... Any suggestions?

I just got £600 out of the blue so I'm not exactly trying to save money right now.

Well, any Lego fan will recommend the modular buildings such as:

The Grand Emporium

Fire Station

Pet Shop

I want all three and if I had 600 quid suddenly fall in my lap, one of those would definitely be a treat for myself.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yuki Akuma posted:

...Yeah I'll buy the Pet Shop, I think. Should look nice on my desk.

Good call. I like the Brownstone that comes with the Pet Shop. There's something very Chicago-like about them side by side like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You can still buy the Winter Toy Shop on the UK site: http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Winter-Toy-Shop-10199

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Spent the afternoon on this.

Ohhh I saw that the other day online. It looks like a nice smallish set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The robot's a must, also Mrs Spatch-eh-men, Statue of Liberty and the Centurwion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ireladd posted:

Series 6:

I just realised the butcher is holding the meat bone that the zombie was originally supposed to come with before they switched it out with the chicken leg.