Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

toochilled posted:

I also picked up the Spanish Armada Flagship.
I can honestly say I had never seen it before, had no idea it existed but it is soooo pretty. I'm looking forward to building it later.

(image hosting my own)

It's very pretty, but awfully small. When I started making my airship I had to order a second hull section just to have room to build.

As for modding or aftermarket pieces, I can understand the objection to using them for structural purposes, but I have no problem using them for minifigs and accessories, because I think they really benefit from that personalization. The one thing I do the most (besides painting) is making cloth capes and robes in colors or shapes that LEGO doesn't. Figuring out how to do arm holes was a worthwhile pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

This was posted in the PYF funny pictures thread. Anyone know who built it, and if they have instructions?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

ThalidomEid posted:

So, I did a lot of building on LDD/MLCAD and I've finished fleshing out a huge modular castle made up of many smaller sub-sections.

The problem is that I have nowhere near enough pieces to build it for reals, but I'd like to see it done if someone else has the parts. I'll be uploading the instructions to BrickShelf (user name lego-yeg), and also the parts lists for each sub-section. Which is easier to follow: a parts list that lists the parts used in each step of the instructions, or a parts list that just lists total parts used during construction?

I would gladly post pictures, but I do not know how to on this site.

Upload them to Waffleimages if you must. And listing the parts by module would probably be most useful for people who want to take parts of your design.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

ThalidomEid posted:

Wall Sections. These are the most customizable. Lower section can be solid or have a man-sized version of the main gate. Middle section can be plain or a bit more decorated. Upper section has an assortment of torches, spears, and arrows, plus long sticks for pushing away attackers' ladders. (This is the first section I made, so it has the most decoration and details. After a while, I got sick of trying to painstakingly place weapons, flags, and multi-part torches in LDD, so I just said gently caress it.)

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

That's a clever use of those big roof pieces. Thanks for sharing this.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Virar posted:

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean

Hope it's not some cruel joke by someone at SDCC.

I dunno, looks kinda like modeling clay and decals.

e: speaking of which, if anyone could recommend a good decal printer I'd really appreciate it.

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 24, 2010

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'm still working on my series of Final Fantasy themed Legos. The last character I'm making is a summoner, so of course it's time to make some summons.

This is a work in progress. I don't know, does it look like a Bahamut to you guys?

Click here for the full 1108x734 image.

Click here for the full 1201x712 image.

Click here for the full 1151x861 image.

Click here for the full 1073x831 image.

I'm shopping for a suitable dragon head on Bricklink. I'm also not happy with the giant hands or the blockiness of the arms. I'm working on a different design that uses these for fingers, but I'm kind of hamstrung overall by the ball joints on the chestpiece and how few pieces there seem to be that connect to them. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to make a cargo elevator/forklift/whatever with vertical travel of five blocks, and I'm just shooting blanks. Anyone have any ideas?

Do you need it to stay in place when it moves?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't start that again. Regardless of your opinion, Bionicle was incredibly helpful and influential for Lego in the first few years and really helped them survive the near-collapse they had at the turn of the millennium. The kits were mostly existing bricks with a few key new pieces such as masks, heads, limbs, and the MOC-revolutionizing ball joints and sockets. They were specifically marketed as "buildable action figures", too, so your toys with detachable body parts thing was sorta what they were going for all along.

Even though it was on clearance, I got some sticker shock when I bought the Bionicle chest piece pictured above. The 10-cent rule of thumb has really spoiled me for fancy parts.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'd like it to, yes.

I tried to brainstorm ways of making slide rail pieces go vertical, but I couldn't think of a good way of making it stay in place without hydraulics, and I'm away from my bricks so I can't test anything. If you can clear that hurdle, though, one of these on either side of a platform would make a pretty sturdy elevator.

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 4, 2010

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

If you mean the torso you used for "Bahamut", that's from a Ben 10 figure. Galidor 2.0

Six of one. They're both anime-styled pose-able action figures.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I think actually this plus a technic axle to keep it in place might work. How do you use slide rail pieces though?

edit: That is to say, "PLATE 1x2 WITH SLIDE" fits in, but the offset is really weird and I can't manage to fit another piece on it in LDD, so I'm a bit concerned.

I don't know about the offset, I'm using MLCAD and the default positioning works perfectly.

And it still needs gears or hydraulics too. I'm the best engineer ever :downs:

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 5, 2010

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

The brackets on the side aren't a single piece, right? It's hard to see any seams in these pictures.

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait what? Are robots automatically of Japanese origin now? :psyduck:

I grew up in the Power Rangers / Voltron heyday. That's just where my brain goes when I see a team of color-coded superheroes.

But enough of that, look at this guy

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Not only do I agree with everything you said, I still have this set, excepting some minor redesigns (changing all the bits that fell off all the time) constructed from when I was a kid. It might be the only set I own that's never been fully broken down.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Man, I really want some of those parts in the minifig collections to make it to general production. I can't find the minifigs locally and I don't want to pay collectors' prices on Bricklink/Ebay.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

InfinEight posted:

Anyway, onto the lounge. Its pretty simple, but has plenty of nice pieces. The coffee maker is only 3 pieces but it's a nice touch. It also shows how this set has a LOT of bricks, short and tall, with the grove in it for sliding doors. You could make a really tall sliding door with all of them.

Are there any Castle sets with these sliding groove pieces that actually use a mechanism for raising/lowering the gate? I want to put one in my current project, but I want it to work on a principle other than "the giant hand of God reaches down and opens the gate for us."

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Yeah, I've seen plenty of drawbridges, but nothing that lifts a gate through those sliding bricks. It's always just something that holds the gate in place, like this.

e:

ibroxmassive posted:

You could get the Hoth base set with the working sliding doors and mount it sideways? The pieces are all white/grey anyway so they'd 'go'.

Missed your reply on the last page. You mean this thing?

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 20, 2010

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

Yer, if you mounted the top and bottom ratchets vertically then the door should stay up.

Probably, but it's not very castle-y, and again there's no real obvious mechanism for how the door lifts. I want something the minifigs can lift without praying for help from the Creator (me).

I tried using a winch and hook, but the gate doesn't really balance right inside the sliding bricks, and a single point of contact makes the gate list to one side and get stuck. I could try two winches in tandem, but I'm not sure how to synchronize them without blocking the entryway in the first place.

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 20, 2010

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I parsed those seats as hands and thought you were making a Transformer for a minute there.

So I pasted a picture in the last thread of a Final-Fantasy-esque airship I made out of one and a half Spanish Armada Flagships. Well, after buying some cool baseplates and structural crap from Bricklink I decided that any good FF airship needs a castlepunk base of operations.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

There's a ticket counter up front (shamelessly stolen from the Medieval Market Village) a waiting area with benches and luggage racks, an observation terminal, a tower with warning lights and a spotlight, a crane and a moving catwalk. For maximum action figure playsetness, all the buildings but the tower have hinged ceilings that let you reach inside.

Click here for the full 878x670 image.

A shot with the ceilings hidden.

Click here for the full 873x657 image.

I had some of these cool octagonal pieces from the Aquanauts line lying around and decided to make a small network of steam tunnels with them. All technology is powered by steam and crystals.

In proper RPG town fashion, there's also a treasure chest you can only get by exiting a hidden door and walking along the very edge of the map.

Here's what the base looks like when it's occupied. The catwalk over the bow opens and closes so minifigs can cross without getting on board the ship. Ignore the chains poking through the geometry, I'm too lazy to do limp chains in MLCAD.

I'll probably have some embellishments to make when I convert the CAD file into .irl format, and I don't know what the balance of the crane is like, but this isn't bad for four weeknights' work. The only things I might still do are add a playset hinge to the tower and make a bucket crane for the repair minifigs to reach the engines with.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Sorting bricks to see what I need to actually build that thing. I forgot how ugly the Dark Stone color really is.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Is it just me or do the Bionicle ball sockets break really easily? I have a hard time assembling or disassembling them without a tab popping off, so I almost never use the pieces I have.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I need something to store my cloth pieces and stickers flat while standing up. Anyone have a recommendation?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Veeb0rg posted:

so is lego universe worth it or should I just take it back?

Is it out of beta yet? Can I break the NDA?

VV e: Alright then. I didn't mind the MMOness of the activities so much, although they could have been more LEGO-themed and a little less hacky-slashy. But it is an MMO, and being mad at it for being like an MMO is like being mad at a salad for not being a Big Mac.

What bothered me, though, isn't how the gameplay seemed to run counter to the LEGO experience, but how the gameplay rewards did.

I'll run you quickly through my beta experience. I hit the character customization screen, was amused by the creative possibilities, and immediately created a minifigural injury lawyer from the firm of Brickson, Studly, and Platis. Smartly cropped hair, smug grin, matched navy blue suit, walkie-talkie (in lieu of a cellphone) etc. Then I hit the game, finished the first handful of quests, and was given the same generic starting armor that everybody gets which immediately covered up all of my character's details and turned me into Guy With Helmet #449482. I could have played without it, sure, but the difficulty quickly rose to the point where giving up armor points made the game nearly unplayable (although this was back when they still had impossible problems with lag). In order to really progress in the game, I had to effectively stifle my creativity.

I had also completed a number of achievements at this point, the rewards for which were basically a truckload of custom minifig torsos. The problem was, each of those torsos took up a slot in the Potentially Useful Item section of my inventory. If I wanted to carry things like weapons or quest items with me, I had to decide, right then, which of the fancy reward torsos I would want to play with in the future so I could sell the rest for inventory space. And then I hit the torsos that granted stat boosts, which meant that those rewards would never get used again.

Basically, it felt wrong that a LEGO game would discourage creativity by coupling numerical performance to visible parts of your character so intractably. I should be able to charge into battle with a tank top, hula skirt, monkey mask and electric guitar and be as potentially combat-viable as the guy in matching plate armor and chrome greatswords. But when I played, there just wasn't enough variety among the "best in show" equipment, and all of it made you cover up the originality you had put into your character in the first five minutes of play.

I don't like being told the "right way" to play with my toys.

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 11, 2010

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Slashie posted:

Why did people suddenly stop using the word "give"?

Verbing weirds language.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh boy, what is this all about?

Somebody's mad about the ninja myths episode.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

A friend of mine in the physics department of my university scored me three of these kits that the university was phasing out. Sweet!

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

The Ninjago set is turning out way different than I expected.

:stare:

Aw man, I just kitbashed a pair of nunchucks, and they're making an official one? At least I didn't waste any glue on a swallow too.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

The switch to bley in '07 or so made me pissed enough to stop buying lego for a good 2 years after. I like the look of the new shade, and you can get some cool brick wall variation by mixing the new and old, but it STILL bothers me that all the old grey from the 70's to now is now incompatible. Nobody talks about the color switch anymore because it was really beaten into the ground when it happened, but... I still hate it.

Old gray and new blay work okay together if you don't have strong, pure white light in the room.

Old dark grey and new dark blay... :barf:

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake...

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > I am a 8th level Ninjago Ice Warrior. Ask me about Spinjitzu.

I really want some shuriken pieces, but my choices are to boost the sales numbers of their stupid collectable top game or drop twenty dollars on a Bionicle with the serial numbers filed off.

I think I'm just going to be trying to pick them off Bricklink eventually, along with some beakers from the mad scientist series 4 figs. I understand why they're phasing out identifying marks on the fig packaging, sort of, but I've also always been baffled by the business strategy of making your customers buy things they didn't want. LEGO seems like one of those things where having a complete set is not as strong a motivator.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I wish there was a good way to break apart and reassemble animal figs. I have use for some chimeras.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Final Gloom posted:

That's fantastic. I made a band of generic Final Fantasy heroes a while back. Fighter, Black Mage, Thief, Ninja, Samurai, and Dancer. They would.... fit in perfectly.

Post yours and I'll post mine. I've mostly held off since the majority of mine involve piece modification.

e: Anybody have any ideas on how to make a minifig-scale harp?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Just got the $10 Pharaoh's Quest set. I'm really liking the khopesh and scarab shield designs, and they're a lot less fragile than I was afraid.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

Is it bad that I have eight Lego keychains and only two keys on my key ring? I can't help but buy another one every time I walk into a Lego store.

Of course not. I just got one that's also a 512KB USB drive, even though I've had a 16GB thumb drive for years.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

This is a pretty neat kluge.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

HeeeLOoooO, fRIEnd...

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Ok, I mentioned these guys earlier in the thread, but I think I'm finally happy with everyone's hair and decals. Here's my RPG adventuring party.

Aw dag, what's the cross shield from?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Travis343 posted:

It's a custom decal! Most of their torso pieces are also custom, and the capes as well.

What do you use for printing them? I haven't found any clear recommendations, and painting just isn't cutting it.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Most of the serious customizers use waterslide decals, which actually let you print onto a transparent sheet, get the decal wet, and then slide it onto the piece. When it dries it's virtually identical to professional lego printing.

I can't find those for sale, though, so my decals are just Avery fullsheet peel-and-stick labels run through an inkjet printer. The quality you get depends on how nice your printer is - mine is kind of lovely, so I often end up going over my blacks with ink pens and brightening my colors with Prismacolor markers anyway.

I tried printing stickers before, but I couldn't get the blacks black enough to work. I do have leftover print quota with the end of the semester coming up, though, so maybe I should revisit it. Do you have anything you like to use as a template?

I haven't forgotten my promise to post pics of my FF series, including the now basically-finished airbase. Gimme a few days to get the pics together.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Okay, I'm trying to attach this to a minifig back by way of this and one of these. Is there any way to make it sit even flatter than that?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Just picked up the smallest of the Pirates of the Caribbean sets. I'm actually feeling better about this line than the average licensed set. Sparrow's hair is much more substantial than I was expecting -- it feels really solid, and there's no flesh color on it so I can mix and match it with my yellowheads just fine. The rest of the custom pieces are pretty cool too, and I may end up waiting for the series to go into clearance and try to snipe a bunch of telescope pieces. Kinda wish the ship-in-a-bottle pieces had sticker decals for the ship this time around, though -- I have uses for bottles.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Hmm. I need something like this but not as thick, or like a minifig hand but not angled. Any suggestions?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

fippo posted:

Anyone know any tricks to make searching Bricklink easier? Ideally, I'd link to be able to input my list of parts that I want to buy and have something spit out links to the store which can fulfill my order best (this store has the cheapest price on bricks A, B, and C while this store has the cheapest on bricks D and E).

Manually searching part by part, store by store, trying to find the most number of bricks across the least number of orders is a bit tedious.

If you make a Wanted List, you can search by store and sort by how many items (and how many unique items that aren't just different colors) each store sells. Then just open the top 5/10 and eyeball the prices. That's about the best method I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

InfinEight posted:

A minifig hook-hand maybe? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2531

That's... actually perfect, thanks! Now I just need one more of them in not-transparent than I actually own... :sigh: