Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag
So, I did a lot of building on LDD/MLCAD and I've finished fleshing out a huge modular castle made up of many smaller sub-sections.

The problem is that I have nowhere near enough pieces to build it for reals, but I'd like to see it done if someone else has the parts. I'll be uploading the instructions to BrickShelf (user name lego-yeg), and also the parts lists for each sub-section. Which is easier to follow: a parts list that lists the parts used in each step of the instructions, or a parts list that just lists total parts used during construction?

I would gladly post pictures, but I do not know how to on this site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag
Wow, BrainWeasel, thanks! This waffleimages stuff ain't so tough after all.

Castle with two Corner Towers, two Wall Towers, six Wall Sections, and a Main Gate

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

5-story Corner Tower. Stone plates on lower level come off, and walls on the fourth level swing out to enhance playability.

Main Gate. Consists of an inner and outer gate supported by three-story towers. Gates swing out, rendering battering rams useless. Also, grates and hatches allow the defenders to assault the attacking force in between outer and inner gates.

Wall Sections. These are the most customizable. Lower section can be solid or have a man-sized version of the main gate. Middle section can be plain or a bit more decorated. Upper section has an assortment of torches, spears, and arrows, plus long sticks for pushing away attackers' ladders. (This is the first section I made, so it has the most decoration and details. After a while, I got sick of trying to painstakingly place weapons, flags, and multi-part torches in LDD, so I just said gently caress it.)

Wall Tower is four stories tall with removable plates on bottom level and a swing-out rear wall on third level to enhance interior access.

One of the things I really like about this design is that all levels are accessible by ladder or stairs from within the castle itself. Also, I've used brown (wood) rather than grey (stone) wherever possible on the interior for floor/ceilings.

BrainWeasel posted:

listing the parts by module would probably be most useful for people who want to take parts of your design

Carbohydrates posted:

a master parts list would probably be for the best

There's really no 'master' parts list, since the builder can have as many or as few sections as he wants, but I'll put up the parts list by module, and not worry about parts per step.

I was able to upload some of my instructions to BrickShelf, but not all. If anyone wants my .zip's of instructions and parts lists, or the .ldd's themselves, let me know.

ThalidomEid fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 23, 2010