Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I loved and sought for almost every minifig in the first wave. That second wave... none of them do it for me. Not even the pharaoh and the Spartan. Though maybe I could use a few of those pop singers to flesh out the red light district in my future diorama...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I was with you until the four armed guy. Seriously, my uncle was neighbors with one of those four armed freaks. gently caress those guys.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

As cool as those are, and as much work as I can tell went into them, I still feel it's kind of a turd thing to sell instructions for MOC.

You disapprove of my retirement plans? :(

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

And the zombie would be a normal guy.

Bruce Campbell.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

What was that green ship in the center from? Was it Aurra Sing's ship from the end of Clone Wars' second season? It doesn't matter, I like the way it looks. Too bad it'll be about $10 overpriced.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Back when I had the money for it, I always faced the hard decision of buying new sets, vs. picking up classic space sets from Bricklink. There's a lot of good stuff out there these days, but it's hard to resist building up fleets of Space Police from all three eras. There's nothing to beat the sight of a convoy of these guys rumbling down your space roads:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=6895-1

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Clearly you never built anything cool enough for your minifig space chief to ride.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

They are really getting mileage out of that loving airplane nose.

That is one part that makes me refuse to buy a set.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

djfooboo posted:

I honestly wish LEGO had reprints. I'm sure if they re-released cafe corner it would be a huge hit. drat the secondary market I say.

A few years ago Lego would release "Legends" sets, like the original Redbeard pirate ship. I was sad when they stopped the series.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

looks like indiana jones without a license

Isn't that what the Adventurers line was all along?

e: This pyramid looks like fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54191445@N03/5016202316/in/photostream/

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

3 posted:

The upcoming Diagon Alley set looks amazing.

Why do I have to be broke? :(

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Oh man, I want about 10,000 peg-legged Blacktrons. Also, the snowboarders could be easily turned into some awesome lady astronauts.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Grievous looks so bored in this picture: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Okay/StarWars/CloneWars/8095/p1080339_small.jpg

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Fozzie Bear posted:

Ok, I was just cleaning out my closet to make room for christmas presents, and I came across this set, in it's entirety, but without instructions or a box. a few of the pieces were taken apart so I googled the set to find the instructions and noticed that the cheapest set for sale is $80.... why the hell is this set so expensive? the minifigs are pretty cool, but other than that, there isn't really anything that jumps out to me.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=vampire

I also found

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=60550

which apparently sells for $100 as well, those are crazy prices

edit: the plane in pharohs quest looks really cool, I hope my kids ask for that next year.

Oh man, I had an opportunity to buy that Studios set back when KB Toys was clearing out all their stores. Early this year I also found a bashed-up but unopened Batman set at Target. I didn't snag either one. Dang it, I could've made me some money, if only I'd bought sets that held no interest for me at the time.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I wonder how big this Ultimate Build McQueen is going to be. It seems like an odd idea to have a huge model set for a movie tie-in marketed toward 6 year olds.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

Heres's a few more MOCs. They all have the same red-on-brass color scheme (except for the last one, which is more burgundy), which I really like. I got the idea for the top one from seeing an old Blacktron set!

That is a classy color scheme right there.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

I think this might be a bit too big for an airship.

Oh man, this is awesome as hell.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Haha, I'm not doing that. I'll stick to the ol' squeeze pieces through the bag trick, which so far has about a 25% accuracy rate.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Some of us don't want to end up with four tennis girls and a sumo wrestler. :colbert:

That sounds like the best kind of Saturday night to me.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

The worst part about getting back into Lego as an adult is, you have to pay for it. So being broke sucks. :(

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I know if I had the funds, I'd totally have a spaceport full of Series 1 space guys and robots, plus the new Blacktrons from Series 3.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Popeahuntis posted:

Hey guys, I've been following/stalking/lurking this thread for ages now and was wondering if you could help me out?

Dug this out of my mums attic, it was my step-dads.
Was just wondering the rarity of it?

I don't know anything about Technic, but I think people have said that the pneumatic parts are no longer produced, so maybe that means it's rare/worth something now.

Alpha Shroom posted:

Kick-rear end Imperial mech.

That's pretty rad!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

vonbaron posted:

Now, when I was a kid if there was one single lego I wanted, it was ninjas. Even now I think (from the promo pics anyways) the ninja forts were some of the best-looking lego buildings ever designed.

I don't know, dude. The promo pics do look pretty sweet, but if you look at the instructions for something like Flying Ninja's Fortress (6093), you can tell it has that excessively modular, one-giant-piece construction that all the late 90s/early 00s sets had. Some of the detail work, like with the roofs and the smaller vehicle sets, was neat, but I never have a use for giant thick block bricks. That said, I wish Lego would do an interesting spin on the "castle" theme like that again. The orc theme was nice, a good revamped ninja theme would be nicer. :(

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 25, 2010

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

While looking around on Peeron and being sad that we were too poor to get Lego this Christmas, I was amazed at how bad set designs were in the late 90s/early 00s. 1280 has to be the lamest excuse for a set I've ever seen. The whole Dino Island series looks amazingly half-assed, like the set design team from Time Cruisers series were told to throw together an imitation of Playmobil. After the last few years of really well-designed sets, it's hard to believe that 5975 (T-Rex Transport) was the set that got me out of my dark ages.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Oh man, that Alien Conquest looks tight. I want that Earth Defense HQ, at the very least. But most of my (imaginary) money is going into that new Castle stuff. Hell yeah.

I never used to be a Castle fanboy, but the orc stuff a couple years ago and the medieval village convinced me. Now I can't get enough of it.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Gom Jabbar posted:

I got my 4 year old daughter a couple of the small sets of starwars legos and we did the advent calender this year, she is having a blast with them. The real haul is that because my daughter is the first to ask for legos my parents gave me a present that was supposed to be mine back in 1984 but wasn't given because of a difference in the number of presents between me and my brother. It has been sitting wrapped in 1984 wrapping paper for the past 26 years in my parents basement. I open it up and I have a new in box 6971 Inter-Galactic Command Base, I remember wanting a space base forever as a kid. I quick search on brick link gives me a guy selling one for $750 sealed new in the box. Now the problem, build the space station I always wanted or sell it and buy an rear end ton more legos for me and my daughter to build.

drat, that's the best Christmas ever.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I wonder why Lego has released so few pirate ships the last ten or so years. The way AFOLs go nuts and snap them off the shelves, I assume ships are always profitable. Yet we've only gotten two or three since 2000. Do kids not get excited about pirates anymore, or what?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

The most recent pirates line was horribly overpriced. I couldn't justify plunking down $100 for a 600 piece pirate ship. That probably kept it from catching on.

Is there an actual Black Pearl set forthcoming? I didn't see mention of a ship on those leaked set lists, just a "Captain's Cabin" or some such.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

If I had enough pennies, I would have been happy to agree with you. :(

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I wish they would rerelease the Black Seas Barricuda every three or four years. My dark ages ended about a month after the last rerelease had sold out. :(

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

InfinEight posted:

That crane is pretty drat impressive. And I want the TRU truck just because I like blue more :cool:

Also, a new old build report: the Deep Freeze Defender is still awesome.

Until you posted the two side by side, I didn't realize that the new trans orange is different than the old trans orange. Which sucks, since Ice Planet is one of my favorite old themes, and your "update" had inspired me to use my Mars Mission pieces to supplement their fleet. :(

I love your take on the DFD, though.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

This weekend, my wife and I are inviting some friends over for a "Lego build-off party." I'm just excited to get one or two of my big Lego tubs out of the basement (I have eight huge Rubbermaids full of them), so I haven't figured out a plan beyond dumping parts on the kitchen table and letting people build stuff. I'd buy Creationary, but we're kind of low on funds at the moment. Any suggestions for making Lego into a fun social activity?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I like the "make our own Creationary" idea. Goodness knows we have enough parts to go around. Thanks!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Is that little alien slug critter designed to slip over a minifig's head? Because that would be awesome.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Queen Gnome posted:

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! I've been considering holding onto them because, let's face it, every kid should play with legos on a regular basis. As I am moving out soon, I'm a bit low on space. I'll check them out this weekend! If I sell them, I'd like them to go to a goon, everyone here is great.

I'd be interested in any small (cheap) Space sets you may have, as well as any minifigs, Space especially.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I'm thinking of selling my UCS Millennium Falcon, probably on Bricklink. The instruction book has a couple of rips, though, and the box has a puncture or two. How much would that hurt the selling price?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

The 5000 piece one? The current minimum price on Bricklink is $850, and it's missing the box entirely. The cheapest with the box is at $1000. The cheapest Bricklink sale in the past 6 months has been $810 (although a new one sold for $400, but that's an obvious outlier).
On eBay, the cheapest sale has been $800 Buy it Now, but doesn't mention a box.

You can probably get $900 for it, easily.

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll wait until Christmas season and see if I can't fetch $1000 for it.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

So THAT'S why old Space minifigs are so expensive.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Blacktron I figures go for about $2-9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I was too young and poor for it at the time, but I always wanted this set so bad: http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/5550-1

I mean, look at that thing. Model Team was so gnarly. I'm surprised how cheap it is on Bricklink, compared to other sets from the same time period.