Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
You fancy kids with your actual sets and instructions. Back when I was 6 or 7, most of my parts came from a small bucket of random bricks, with maybe a handful of small race cars and Classic Space buggies, impulse sets with 20-40 pieces. The earliest original thing I remember making was this "moon base" made of mismatched bricks on one of those big green block pieces. There was a yellow door frame and some of those smiley-face bricks in the wall. My blue space dude would go on precarious missions to adjust the laser mounted above the door. Good times.

The first thing I made as an adult wasn't much of an improvement -- a big juggernaut of SCIENCE!, slapped together from mismatched bricks and the big transparent cockpit from a Slave I. I never have been all that good at MOC's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Pyroclastic posted:

I've seen this listed repeatedly over the last few months, always at $75.

Haha, I had that as a kid. That's sort of emblematic of the small cheap sets I was allowed to get. $75 might be a little much, but Bricklink is listing it for $44. I should go back in time and steal all my sets back from my younger self before I got the chance to ruin them by playing.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Tighclops posted:

gently caress licensed sets forever, bring back Ice Planet 2002 and Blacktron.

Yes, this. I know Lego mints money with these licensed sets, but the Star Wars sets bore me, Indiana Jones was discontinued, and I'm not interested in any of these other properties.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Revol posted:

You loving suck. I've been looking for Lego at thrift stores forever, and have never found anything.

Me neither. I found a crappy half-complete racing set once at a Goodwill, but otherwise I haven't seen Lego in any thrift store.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Holy poo poo, those modular buildings have such high resale. I like the ones I have, but I'm not particularly sentimental about them. Sentiment is weak compared to making $600 profit, anyway.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I have Cafe Corner, Market Street, and the firehouse. All of them are opened, and the boxes are gone (I lived in a small place and never dreamed of selling my Lego), but still... if I sell my Collectors Millennium Falcon this Christmas, and my modular buildings the next, we could afford to buy new stuff for two Christmases!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Can anyone tell me what kind of tires / wheels these are in this picture? I want to build a serious Space rover and those look perfect.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The tire looks like 45982 but there are several tires like that. I'd check BL's tire section for all the possibilities. The wheel looks like 44772

Thanks. Man alive, those are expensive. If I wanted six of each, it would tally up to about $30 plus shipping.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

People haven't been posting their MOCs lately. Let's fix that! I'm no better at this than I was as a kid, but hey, I made a thing:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Well duh, all of Lego history is filled with police states. The dragon dudes are actually the ancestors of the Police and Space Police races.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Alien Defender (7050) is such an ugly little set, but it's what I have handy, so I keep pulling it apart and trying to build little MOCs. I'm much happier with this one than the last one:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

That looks really awesome, can't decide if it's some sort of space fighter or hover racer or some such. The guys expression just pulls it all together.

I love the panic expressions on the newer minifigs, but I hate that all the heads are two-sided now. What if my space guys want to chill out with their helmets off?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Rare Collectable posted:

Heres a spaceship I've been tweaking for the past few weeks. Its definitely the best lego creation I've ever made. Thanks for getting me back into lego goons!

So can anyone more experienced tell me whether this qualifies to be a vic viper?

That's neat, and it inspired me to try my hand at my very first Vic Viper:

I still don't know how to do SNOT effectively, but I love this color scheme.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I hope there's a new Space theme every year for a while, sort of like what Lego is doing with the Castle line. I loved SP3 and the fantasy era sets. While I'm indifferent about the current Castle and Alien Conquest sets, I'm always excited to see what's coming out next year. I hope they pull something crazy for Space, something as crazy as the fantasy era sets were for Castle... some kind of 1950s retro sci-fi moonbase line would be amazing.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm liking the direction of the new firefighter sets. Putting out wildfires is a great way to employ the surplus firemen Lego City Community College cranks out every year.

A couple of those Dino vehicles look great. Star Wars looks boring as usual.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Yeah, I would love good Lego dinosaurs, but those are the same ones they've been using. Frankly they look like crap. Vehicles are cool though.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I'm thinking about getting the Winter Toy Shop and putting a tiny low wattage light inside, to give it a cosy lit glow. Like you used to get in the old Lego catalogues for city night-time scenes. Whoever was the art director for these sorts scenes was a wonder-merchant, because I loved just looking at these sorts of scenes when I got the catalogue.

I never quite got the nostalgia for "proper" Lego bricks until you posted these pictures. I love the new pieces and smooth curvy surfaces, don't get me wrong, but those two trains in the top pic, the simple platforms, and the blocky building all brought on a wave of nostalgia for "real" Lego. The simple smiley faces are great too. I'm tired of the scruffy man's man look on so many of the minifigs these days.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Space Police II used to be my favorite color scheme, but I'm coming around to the blue and trans-yellow Classic Space. Maybe in addition to stockpiling trans-dark green I should start getting my hands on any good trans-yellow pieces coming out.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

AzMiLion posted:

Blacktron inspired police corvette

I would love to make a minifig scale version of this! I wish I had the parts handy.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Good lord, I'd been trying to be good... but that's going on the credit card.

Edit: :aaaaa: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan_rubin/6198815413/in/set-72157627789957268/lightbox/

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 1, 2011

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Dear Lego people,

I will buy literally every set you produce that includes Black Falcon paraphernalia and minifigures.

Sincerely,

Time Cowboy (a manchild raised in the '80s)

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

LEGO Game of Thrones

I should totally make a gif of Black Falcon guy cutting off his horse's head.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Why doesn't Lego make more monorail sets? I'm guessing regular train sets are more profitable among kids (because what kid born after 1995 knows what the hell a monorail is supposed to be), but if they were to produce another space monorail AFOLs would clean out their stock within two weeks just to get more of that sweet sweet track.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I wish I could go back in time and tell 7 year old Time Cowboy to buy up all those monorail expansion packs when they were on clearance. Come to think of it, I wish I could tell 7 year old Time Cowboy to buy the Message Intercept Base when it was on clearance for $20.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Now, 500 Blacktron I or original Forestman figures, I could understand...

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Hot drat, I hadn't paid attention to Town in years, now I want to buy up each and every one of those sets.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Schindler's Fist posted:

2012 dinosaurs sets up in here. Like J*rass*c Park without the license fees!

http://www.brickset.com/search/?theme=Dino&year=2012

Loving the hell out of those minifig torsos!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I think most sets stopped having alternate models around 2001 or 2002.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I don't know where else to ask... I have an opened UCS Millennium Falcon that I want to sell off in time to get some holiday cash. I don't want to charge a scalping price but I would like to get something close to the going rate for an opened set with minor damage to the box and instructions (which seems to be about $1200 right now). What would be my best bet for selling it quickly? Bricklink, eBay, SA Mart? Would I get more for it if I waited another month?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

It's crazy that the -cheapest- price on BL is $1000, and that's without box or instructions.
Ebay's probably your most reliable way of selling it--every auction for the set has bidders except for one recently listed one that starts at $900. If you list it at $600, you'd probably get about $1000 for it. Cheapest it's gone for on ebay is because someone foolishly listed it at $650 for Buy It Now. But then you have to deal with ebay.
If you live in a decent-sized city, if you post it for a reasonable price on craigslist (say $1000 or best offer), I figure it'd be gone within a couple days.
I'd love to have it myself, but no way am I going to pay what anyone wants now.

I appreciate the tips. It seems that I'd get a better price on BL but I don't think things sell very fast there.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

What was the year Lego hit rock bottom? Not financially but in set design. I've been looking through old instruction scans, reminiscing about how much fun I had with the neat sets of the late '80s and early '90s, but after about 1993 it's like the designers slowly lost any sense of what they were doing. The set design goes downhill and doesn't recover until the early 2000s.

I think 1997 is a strong contender for worst year. Castle had the horrible Night Lords sets, Space had whatever these things were, and of course 1997 was also the year of the villainous time travel theme, which looks even sillier than the time traveling good guys' theme. Out of all of those, only the time travel sets look even remotely fun to play with as a kid; none of them look like the sort of thing anyone would want to buy again now as an adult.

On the other hand, 1997 also had kick-rear end stuff -- the Indian theme, the realistic divers theme, a couple of neat Spanish Armada sets (though the bulk of that theme was from 1996, it seems).

All in all those years between, say, '95 and '04 were weird times for Lego. They had a few great ideas but they were throwing money into sets that I don't think any kid would want to buy. But maybe I just think that because I "grew out" of Lego around '94 or '95.

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 4, 2011

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Sockser posted:

This set rules, are you crazy or something?

It ain't no M:Tron, sonny. :colbert:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm digging the Dino minifigures. Lots of detail on the faces.

Probably wait a while until I get them. I'm hoping for some Pharoah's Quest stuff to get heavily discounted (the way Atlantis is now... in the UK at least) soon and saving my Lego cash for that. I'll have to get this set though because the dude with the camera is the closest I've ever seen to a Lego version of me.

Those outfits are great. Hello, space militia corps uniforms.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

InfinEight posted:

It's good to see those army men keeping things in line. Also what the gently caress am I doing with this ugly color.

What color is that? Looks like it could be useful for desert planetscapes and whatnot.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Just you watch, it'll be about Blacktron and the Black Falcons joining forces with Captain Redbeard to steal the rocket technology from the Ice Planet while the Wolfpack and the Forestmen team up with M:Tron to solve the mystery of the monorail, and then I'll laugh at you all for having so little faith. :(

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Shia LeBeouf:

Nic Cage:

Alec Baldwin:

Kristen Stewart:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Wow, I never even thought to look through the Fabuland sets.

While I was looking I found what might be the single classiest set ever:
http://peeron.com/scans/391-1/1

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Sockser posted:

Wow that Two Face set has possibly the most esoteric pieces in existence. Right up there with the giant plane wing and the blimp.

I will be proven wrong when someone makes a crazy orange/purple MOC but still those plates are ugly.

Pretty sure that two-color hood piece is solid purple, with a two-color sticker on top.

While channel surfing with my son last night, I caught the last half hour or so of one of the direct to video Lego movies, The Adventures of Clutch Powers. It was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. In fact it was more entertaining than it had any right to be. Perhaps because I'm a gigantic man-child who loves Lego-related humor.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I've seen the catalog listing for these for a while, but this is the first I've seen pictures of the SW "planet sets". I got them from Brickset.

So we get an OK-I-guess micro ship, a minifigure and a big dish piece, I think? Maybe more than one dish piece to make a sphere? Anyone know anything more about these? I'll be shocked if they come in under $15 for their ~50 pieces.

The only use I can imagine for those printed(?) dish pieces is neat wall decorations in a giant space command room. Which is to say, they could be the best pieces ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I work with whatever parts I have around. Usually that means trying to make something small and silly with whatever set I just finished building.