Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

djfooboo posted:

Any Legoons that know Japanese?

http://www.takaratomy-arts.co.jp/specials/lego/

I see that it says July, but does it say when in July? Or where they will be? I went to the ClickBrick store today and they knew zero English.

It just says they'll be in those capsule vending machines countrywide the second third of the month, which means they're probably already on sale or will be by the twentieth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Tanith posted:

(Now all we need is a Brickarms crowbar or something)

Brickarms? Try official: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7279-1

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I keep a couple of my favorite MOCs out, but the only official set I still have assembled is the Renegade. Thanks to careful planning of individual bricklink orders and a tub of old bricks I found, I managed to build mine for about forty bucks. I even replaced those panels on the container with the ones from the Invader for extra style points.

Edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure I have a pair of those Saucer Scouts fully assembled too... but inside a box in the closet. That was also a pretty sweet little set.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 31, 2011

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
This is the first one I've seen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannanz/6621053469/in/photostream

Looks like there's some decent parts to use in the new colors, even if you primarily build spaceships to swoosh around like an idiot.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
They've definitely been around since the late 80s-ish or so, but I heard they didn't make it into many US sets because of child safety laws or something. None of mine fired either. :(

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I must say, I'm a big fan of Scruffy the janitor.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Alris posted:

Is there any way to tell the quantities of each piece needed after you add them to your wanted list? And is your list updated as you purchase each component of the set?

Echoing the thanks for the walkthrough by the way. As someone who has barely glanced at it in the past the site is a nightmare to navigate.

On the main screen, click "Wanted," "My Wanted List" on the new menu, then "Edit Only" on the left side. It'll bring up a list of the parts on your lists with boxes to change the quantities.

Edit: Whoops, I think I need to go to bed. I thought you wanted to change the quantities...

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 16, 2012

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

beato posted:

The next logical step from the bag build...

via: http://lovebrickbybrick.com/?paged=3

Oh god, the heart-bottle is really cute. There's a Valentine's idea for all you folks with the Lego-tolerant spouses.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

CADPAT posted:

Its quite a conundrum.

Maybe the situation is more complicated than my pre-morning coffee mind believes, but can't you just do this number?

You'll only be holding the figure on with one stud, but it should at least be centered. Modified to your preferred height, of course.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Dr. Platypus posted:

From what I hear, Lego is really good about replacing missing bags of parts. Just call customer service and see what they'll do for you.

Yeah, I've only had to contact them once ever, but they replaced, in my case, the damaged parts no questions asked. I'm pretty sure they didn't even charge me shipping.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Someone posted a thread full of pictures over at Eurobricks, although all they've got for scale is the minifigs that come with the set.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
It sounds like he's thinking of these things or something similar:

There's some people selling them on BrickLink as "Trans-Clear Minifig Display Case, 4x4x6" if you want to order some, but they're pretty expensive for what they are. They also don't appear to have enough room for the larger accessories.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

memy posted:

Is the Galactic Enforcer worth the price? The local Walmart has had it on clearance for months, and I've been on the fence for quite a while, but today I noticed there are only two left, so I'd better decide fast.

I think it's a great set, but the plastic quality on mine is terrible. Some of the pieces are so loose that they fell off when I flipped it upside down to build the underside. It's the only set I've ever had with this problem. I still think it was worth it overall, especially since I got mine on clearance too.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
You mean these? http://www.peeron.com/scans/6886-1/2

I just rebuilt that particular set the other day. I had to substitute other colors / non-printed bits for most of the transparent / printed bits... and the Space Policeman... Now I am sad.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

RodShaft posted:

Edit: I flipped through that booklet, and think I have all the pieces to build the whole ship with no subs.

You lucky bastard. I wasn't even old enough to be in the recommended age group when that one was released, so it didn't hold up as well as my later sets. ...looks like I'm hittin' bricklink again.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The Lego thread not on the first page? That won't do.

After turning in three separate major work projects at around 6 AM, I spent the rest of the morning reliving my childhood by recreating the second greatest toys from it (Dino-Riders) with the first (Lego, of course):

The side guns rotate vertically, the top one rotates horizontally, and the flick-fire missiles fire if you can get your fingers in there. I had to go with a brick-built Rulon head because I don't own any Ninjago (Minus the one I got this body from...) or Atlantis sets.

The back view is somewhat less exciting.

This one... has lasers. It's a Valorian because I was too lazy to find a way to build a brain box that would stay on the raptor heads.

Raptor butt.

Had the Dino line come out, say, fifteen to twenty years ago, I'm pretty sure I would have simply exploded on the spot.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Capoeira Capybara posted:

This is really great. This sums up all that is good in the world when you are a kid: Lego, Dinosaurs, and nonfatal faction violence. I was having a wretched day, and your Dino Riders cheered me up. I especially love the ant guy's head.

Great job!

Oh ho ho, glad to help. Here's one more:

I'm pretty sure this one was at least three separate Dino-Riders toys.

Back view. I'm working with a really limited parts supply, so most of these came off the other two...

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Have I mentioned how much I love the dinosaurs?

Triceratops-Based Mobile Sniper Platform

Not much more than a big-rear end energy rifle, a power supply, and a comfortable chair.

The comfortable chair raises to easily twice this height and can rotate 360 degrees horizontally / tilt many degrees vertically without making the sharpshooter too sick.

A (slightly) better shot of the rifle.

My only regret is that I didn't have that piece under the chair in anything but blue. And, as always, this one was made almost entirely of pieces recycled from the others. drat most of my collection still being in my parents' attic...

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Made a couple more Dino-Riders:

The Rulon version of the raptor one. Slightly more inspired by the original toy from the '80s. The brain box is... less than perfect, but I'm still working with my extremely limited brick supply. It's surprisingly secure as long as the raptor stays horizontal. ...I also think it looks slightly less silly in person.

The butt view. ...I really need to bricklink some Ninjago / Atlantis villain figs for more accurate Rulons.

View without the minifig.

I gave up trying to fit a minifig rider onto the coelophysis without it looking silly and just turned it into some kind of recon dino-drone.

A little console for it to transmit the data it collects to. Laser gun added to make the shot more actiony.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Kazmirski posted:

Man, I can't get over how awesome these are. You gotta tackle the T-rex or Bronto...

Way ahead of you on that one...

I actually had this one about half-finished when I posted those last two (At least partially because I needed their parts for it...):

A Rulon, naturally, T-Rex. I believe all the guns can be aimed along at least one axis.

And unlike the others, it's a two-seater. This guy's pretty well-armed to defend the dinosaur's backside. The side guns rotate vertically, and the larger top turret swivels horizontally.

The brain box, heavily inspired by the one from the original series. The guns on it can be aimed, of course, via the dinosaur's head movements.

On the underside, there's a small automated anti-personnel turret to keep lighter targets at bay.

The laser-equipped command chair and the rear turret take care of threats approaching from the sides.

And a profile shot. ...I don't think that's its best angle. Note the not-quite-parallel posture in honor of the original. I'm sad to say that two Spyrius Recon Robots were sacrificed to create this monster. ...I didn't even know I had two. Also, one of the engines from my Blacktron Renegade.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Made some slight changes to the T-Rex. I believe they're all visible in this shot:

This is how it was supposed to look in the original shots, I just forgot to make the changes before taking the pictures. These slight modifications were made possible through the sacrifice of part of my Galactic Enforcer.

Edit: For the hell of it, I made some more.

Modified version of the Valorian Raptor, as the original looked kind of dinky beside the Rulon version:

Double the lasers for double the awesome. Also, eyepatch.

And the back view.

Next, a Rulon version of the Pteranodon:

...this one also has double the lasers. Huh.

The back. I'm really wishing I had some Ninjago villains right about now. The '80s version of this one came with a snakeman pilot.

...maybe that'll get it out of my system for a while.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 8, 2012

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I really liked the Car And Caravan. The RV has some nice little details to it, and I think it has less stickers than the garbage truck too (which I also really really liked).

I've gotta agree here. Despite all the awesome spaceships and, now, dinosaurs in my collection, the new Car and Camper is the one set I keep out on my desk to distract me from work. There's just something so... cute about the little camper, and the car is a pretty nice design itself.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Turns out, that didn't get it out of my system:

This one was based on this toy from the original line. ...man, now I'm futilely hoping for a new head mold.

I always thought the asymmetrical design was pretty kickin'. And that ADU suit is actually a reasonably good substitute for the one from the original toy.

The backside.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The latest of my dinosaur-based time wasting efforts, this one based much more closely on one of the original toys:

If anyone points out that one of the laser tips doesn't match, I will be forced to fall back on my color blindness as a defense and call it a hate crime. (Actually, I had four red ones at first, but that last one fell off and bounced somewhere I'll probably never find...)

And it's a two-seater! I still need a snakeman or sharkman to make up my non-antman Rulon ranks.

And the pilot's chair and radar dish (What the original toy called it...) both rotate 360 degrees like the original.

The toy from the original line this one was based upon.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

RickVoid posted:

Edit: Huh. Extended doesn't have the heads. Weird.

Extended has the heads, at least in my copy. Looks like they're in the minifigure tab near a stormtrooper rifle and what appears to be a frying pan.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Knormal posted:

I was a little disappointed with the forest ranger cabin set (other than the nifty roadster), so I decided to steal John Carstairs' Dino Riders idea with the best part of the set, the bear.

I'm going to agree with the others and say that's it's definitely the robber's face in the last shot that seals the deal.

And on that note, the latest of mine:

Based on the Rulon Monoclonius from the original toy line, which was probably my favorite overall (Despite it not being my favorite dinosaur from the line...). Trying to come up with a new brain box idea each time is starting to become something of a challenge... This one's a bit more of a minimalist design.

The other side's laser cannon thing. It's mostly the same as the one from the last one I posted, but I modified it slightly just because it felt lazy to reuse it as is.

Back left.

Back right.

A shot of it with the brain box from the last one, as I couldn't decide which I liked better on it.

Box art of the original toy for comparison. ...once again, I'm futilely hoping for another head mold for the triceratops. ...and I really need to get one of those Atlantis shark dudes.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Forgot to add this to the post last night:

Olivia apparently puts that workshop to good use. I just assume she had to clone and outfit the drat thing herself.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I've been far too busy to make anything especially exciting for the past week or so, but I built a pair of smaller ones during some slight down time today.

A scout raptor for the humans. Mostly built because I wanted to do something with this configuration.

Back left view. I also originally built the backpack thingy for a coelophysis one, but decided I liked it better on the raptor. ...I may post the original sometime if I actually took pictures.

The gun side.

And from the back.

I've got another one in progress, but it's going to require a bricklink order.

Also, I didn't know this forum existed until this thread got moved here.

And, for the sake of fairness, the Rulon scout raptor. It isn't really that much lighter than the original one I made, however... Built because I was screwing around with those more compact guns (with silver accents!) and wanted something to stick them on. The brain box was also a challenge...

The backside.

And a profile shot for some reason.

Also, I didn't even know this subforum existed until the Lego thread was moved here.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
My latest one:

In the sake of fairness, I had to make a T-Rex one for the humans. I think it ended up with a fairly similar number of lasers to the bad guy one...

The back.

The little pilot chairs rotate well over 180 degrees to cover anything the fixed guns don't.

Closer shot of the rear guns.

Profile shot.

And the toy from the original line this one was based on. This one was my favorite of the toys I never actually had, which is why I (Gasp.) actually ordered some new parts in order to recreate it. I started it as yet another triceratops MOC, then stuck it on the T-Rex on a whim and liked the look of it.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Kazmirski posted:

You have become an endless source of feel-good nostalgia for me! Keep it up! How has Lego not hired you yet?!

Let's go with "Because they would get their pants sued off." It's the best answer for my self esteem.

And I found pictures of an alternate version of an earlier one sitting on my desktop:

Olivia has been up to AWESOME again. Also, I think I'm going to have to hit up bricklink for more Friends colored parts the next time I can justify spending more money on toys. This is as far as I could get with my current stash:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Apparently, that one comes with the LEGO Minifigures: Character Encyclopedia: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Toy_Soldier

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Canopus250 posted:

Edit: Anybody got an opinion on Jabba's Sail Barge? It looks pretty good on the outside but I can't really tell if there's much going on inside of it since it seems super narrow. Plus the only minifigs in it I want are Slave Leia and the little blue band alien.

I found a review on Eurobricks with some interior pics. I like the blue guy's instrument, but the rest doesn't seem terribly impressive. Well, maybe the hidden cannon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's a lot of spaceship chairs.

Not him/her, but I know those bastards were useful when I was slapping weapons on Lego dinosaurs: