Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am just getting into collecting sets. I really like the modulars and the 1 per year model. Am I right in assuming that the next one to go away will be the Pet Shop and I should get that one first?

E: Also, how much below retail can I expect to pay for these things? I imagine I will usually purchase from Ebay to avoid CA tax.

E2: answered my own question by ebaying. Looks like 20% below retail is a standard decent price. Lower is possible but seems to be a right place/right time sorta deal.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mattfl posted:

Lower might be possible on the newer sets, but anything that is retired is going to be above retail. Go check prices on the Green Grocer lol

Yeah, I've seen the retired stuff is $$$ which is why I was asking which is most likely to be retired first. I don't see myself ever going back and buying the $$$ stuff, but every 3 or 4 months I am pretty sure I could justify one of the $100+ sets.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd be very curious about that Lepin Porsche. No figures, just pieces and a few stickers. If that is dead on, I'd get it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As an alternative to knock-offs, has anyone ever built one of the OOP sets by getting all the pieces separately?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EvilJoven posted:

My wife once bought all the pieces we didn't have so she could build the Model Team Black Cat.

It drat near cost us as much as just buying the thing outright.

I was looking at Cafe Corner and after over an hour of price checking...It looks like $400 + to get almost all the parts. Not including shipping. I still had a bunch to go, too.

Seems that buying the Lepin version and then filling in with official stuff for the parts that don't look right would be the way to go.

E: looking through older sets online, I realize I had the Space Cruiser/Galaxy Explorer set when I was young. I really loved that thing. I also vaguely remember some Police Station set. That one I didn't love nearly as much.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 31, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep seeing people talk about "hard builds."

What makes a build hard? I can only think of one answer: inability to follow directions. Is there another? Having a hard time finding the right pieces? That doesn't seem hard so much as longer.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is Lego scalping normal? The Disney Castle sold out online within a couple hours. Prices on Ebay are $100 over MSRP.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just made a trip to the Lego store. At least they have decent stock of the castle.

Also, October is 2x VIP points all month.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Having a blast building the castle. I have already seen a couple build techniques I had never seen before. That's not with a lot of experience, but this has been really interesting to build so far. The tiles in the entryway being recessed was a really neat trick.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fygar posted:

I found this slightly more critical review of the Lepin Green Grocer. It's not an exact duplicate of the original Lego set, but it's probably close enough for most folks. The reviewer also has galleries of a bunch of other Lepin modular sets.

I was looking at that today. It seems that if you follow the original instructions, you can see the few pieces that are different, then order them, and still come out ahead.

What I want is to find a way to get these things at China prices.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just saw the 911 in person. Thoughts:

It's huge.
Orange is totally the wrong color.
It looks fun to build.
It looks like a janky 911.

I'm no expert, but I feel they could have made the lines a lot smoother. The 911 is elegant and has kept it's basic shape for 50+ years. This thing is just wrong.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does anyone know what The Little Mermaid has to do with the castle? The manual has the movie listed next to a picture of the kitchen and the pumpkin coach from Cinderella. Then Cinderella is on a different page next to the princes aide holding the glass slipper.

I can't figure out where Little Mermaid ties in.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

jeff8472 posted:

I should be receiving my chinese super star destroyer today. Anything i should get pictures of? Any specific things to check?

Ordered 8/25, receiving email confirming shipment 8/29

Dhl tracking number didnt work all week. Got a new tracking # on 9/03 that did work and will receive today.

I'd say use the Lego instructions and catalog any differences as you go.

I intend on doing that with the ones I ordered so I can get the right piece(s) and guide others who follow this counterfeit path.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I found a shop near me, in the bay area, that had Disney and s15 still in Stock. weird.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
how did you end up with so many duplicates?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

NESguerilla posted:

A bunch of people have like 4 copies of the same minifigures and everyone told me I hated fun when I suggested it would be better if you could see through the bags and buy the one you actually want :v:

You can see through the bags with your fingers, though.

Anyway, I got the Lepin Market Street set. It's a pretty stupid build and I can see why it isn't popular. (But it was cheap.)

There were a few problems that I will have to correct:

1 - On floor 2 and 3 there is a tube used as a balcony bannister. The 4 tubes provided are too thin to work.
2 - Some of the doors on the main building are different models. I need to check pictures to see how big a difference this is.
3 - The white flowers on the plant in front won't stay on.
4 - The two sets of stairs are broken into two pieces rather than 1 long one.

Other than that, it seems to be a pretty good match. I used the original instructions to build and cross referenced back and forth for differences.

Also, the 1x1 tiles all seem to be a tiny bit smaller than normal. As such, they don't align properly unless you do it yourself.

The pieces, in general, seem a little bit lighter and also have sharper points/edges. The minifigs seem a bit cheaper, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FadingChord posted:

I've got a lot of dupes from earlier series, going back to (I think) a series before Mr. Gold but not including Simpsons or Lego Movie ones. What are you looking for? (I don't think I have any multiples of the last non-Disney set.)

I also have multiples of the pirate, dog show guy, and space marine lady; just not five of them.

I grabbed a bunch of a decently picked-over Target shelf when I first saw the series, then grabbed a bunch more a week or two later straight from the box at Five Below. I don't do a lot of feeling up because I never know what to look for and I kind of like the uncertainty of the blind bag.

Ah, well Hiker and Penguin kid are easy to feel. There are two sword guys and neither is all that hard. The boxer I didn't figure out.

Hiker and 1 sword guy: feel for the little square that is their map. Once you find that, the hiker has another tiny square that is the compass. Other guy has a sword.
Penguin has a big head cover piece to start then feel the arms, they are the only ones that are tapered. Or just start w/ the arms.
The other sword guy is a little trickier, but look for the sword.

It takes a little while, but I find it very satisfying to find what I am looking for.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Apollodorus posted:

If groping bags to avoid getting too many of the same minifig is what passes for fun then put me down as a member of the anti-fun crowd, sheesh.

It's a strange sort of fun. But I find it very satisfying to find what I am looking for with 100% certainty. I've heard the Lego stores just label all the packs to make it easy on the customers.

For the others with the Lepin Green Grocer, are your bottom plates slightly bent?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

The Lego stores I have been to have done no such thing...

Ah. I was told that the Dublin, CA location does it. I don't know about San Francisco. But SF just opened a week ago so I kinda doubt they've had a chance.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lawen posted:

I didn't notice bent baseplates but I did notice that the baseplates seemed the most "off", other than the minifigs; it seems like the one thing (so far) that just immediately felt/looked like a (still pretty good) knockoff and not real LEGO.

I have an unopened full size green baseplate that I picked up at the LEGO Store a couple months ago that I'm going to try using instead.

I was thinking of grabbing one if things don't fit properly.

The Market Street plates were okay, though. The are also the correct green color. Green grocer plates kinda look pukey.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I bought an official Lego 32x32 baseplate for the Lepin Green Grocer. Made all the difference in the world.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got one order in a box and the other in a plastic wrapped bag thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finished my Lepin GG.

Missing 2 1x1 sloped tiles for the clock.
The two other clock pieces are off center so I will have to order lego versions.
Missing 1 grey roof sloped tile.
And the flowers won't stay on.
Oh, and one girls hair is wrong.
I subbed the baseplate from the start.
Instructions were very confusing at a couple points because I couldn't tell the red brown from the dark red in the book and I am color blind so that was fun.

It came out looking pretty good, though.

I think I will order the Town Hall next.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd never heard of this scam. I'm surprised it isn't used constantly. Or is it?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291874988772?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone think this could possibly be real?

Welp...someone took a chance on it. Good for them, hopefully.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hopper posted:

So my buddy is going to China in October on business.
How can I best use this to get a Lepin UCSMF for really cheap?
Any links for ordering from inside china that are even cheaper than aliexpress?

I'd think he could just go to some toy stores to find it. Then either ship it back himself, or pay for the extra baggage (which likely would cost more.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Saw the Holiday Train tonight. Almost grabbed one but decided to wait 2 weeks and get the double points and advent calendar.

Checked Ebay and they are already being sold for $150. Sigh. Why are people so dumb?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got Deep Sea Expedition Vessel & Emmet's Mech. Passed on the Police Trailer and maybe another.

E: Also, it looks like Lepin is about to release the Haunted House. Really hoping it comes out well.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 18, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gorgolflox posted:

So after nearly a year of wanting it, saving up some money, looking at pictures of it, and getting jealous of posters on this very thread I finally bought the Ghostbusters Firehouse. This is the largest set I have ever bought and the first I have built since I got Metalbeard's Duel for my birthday two years ago. This thing is pretty drat impressive, I plan on going slow with it as I still need to make room for its permanent spot. I really wasn't expecting numbered bags but it sure helps, so far it's taken me two day to do bag #1. The only complaint I would have about it would be the instructions being on a black background (whhyy?) and stickers. I hate stickers, I'm terrible at stickers, why did they have to use stickers?? Anyone have any advice on applying stickers? Or perhaps safely removing them and reapplying them when I mess it up?

Use tweezers to hold the sticker. Line things up and go from there. If it is square, then push down a teeny bit on one side to get a sense for how close you are to being even. If it is round, do something similar. If things are off center, it becomes obvious pretty quickly.

Also, they don't need to be perfect. After all, the things that get stickers are usually small detail items that are hidden inside.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'll take it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just search for Lepin Simpsons. The prices aren't very good right now. I'd recommend just getting them from Ebay at a discount.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cloks posted:

It took three days for my green grocer to arrive from China but picking the pieces out from the bags is a huge pain.

This is definitely the worst part.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It says it will be at least a year. I don't think there is a rush.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One thing about the Lepin stuff: it is worth it to invest a few more $$$ into certain items.

For instance, the clocks in the green grocer are off center. Lego clocks fit perfectly.
The base plates are actual plates as opposed to the normal thin plates used in the Lego modulars. If you want to connect them, you will need to get Lego ones.
The flowers do not stay on stems. Another cheap upgrade.
Anything glass will be a tad bit foggy. If it matters, might as well upgrade. (for the haunted house, this seems like a benefit, though)
Windows that open tend to be really loose.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought these were in pre order status.

I am waiting for a review on the Haunted House just to see what is different. ie: figures.

This is from reddit but I would totally do this:

http://imgur.com/a/bPKvm

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is anyone else here colorblind? Sucks to have to ask my gf to separate brown and red brown for me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I can see most color just fine. this is the first time I've had a real problem with lego. well, sometimes the instruction colors are confusing. but these brown and red brown bricks in the same bag. they look the same unless I really work to differentiate them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Feeling pretty satisfied. :)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone have a complete Bumblebee Girl that they are willing to sell or trade at non insane prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a Lego Dimensions thread? Search brought up nothing.