Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I only just discovered this thread a few days ago. I have a bunch of Minecraft sets these days because I love the diorama nature of them, but I'm sad that I missed out on some of the larger landscape sets from years past. The "[Creature] House" sets they often come out with aren't really my style. So when I saw y'all talking about these knock off sites, I couldn't help but go looking for a knock off of The Mountain Adventure, the biggest MC set they made. It wasn't long until I found one: https://joooooy.com/collections/minecraft/products/2688pcs-leduo-76010-miniecraft-the-mountain-cave-compatible-with-21137

At $80 it's still pricey, but that's both cheaper than the real set's original MSRP of $250 and absolutely preferable compared to the ~$2000-2500 you have to spend to buy a real one of these secondhand. The reviews on the site make it sound good but I'm curious if anyone here has bought from this site or manufacturer before and what I can expect from buying a knock off like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

trevorreznik posted:

As general advice, any bootleg set you're looking for you can plug the Lego set number into the website brick4.com and it will tell you clone copies.
Usually there's only a few, if any, and it's easy to them use those manufacturers/set numbers to search on Reddit or YouTube.

But in this case there's a ton of different knockoffs. Thankfully the URL says it's the LeDuo set. From reviews on Reddit, the replica manufacturer of that set seems to use low quality bricks and people had some complaints.

This review is quite negative and says it's basically a MOC pretending to be a clone
https://www.reddit.com/r/lepin/comments/1ax1xc2/leduo_minecraft_cave_youmkos_customer_service/

This review is a bit better. He titled the manufacturer in the post wrong on accident
https://www.reddit.com/r/lepin/comments/1acp4tf/decool_76010_minecraft_cave_small_review/

That being said, it still may be worth it. I have purchased bootleg : sesame Street, first flower arrangement, city hospital, city prison island, Bowser castle and Bowser airship. I also bought rivendell for a friend who hasn't built it yet. I've purchased from marstoy and joytoyworld/yourwobb, and believe hitian, barweer and jooooy to also be reputable resellers.

All of the sets were Good Enough (especially for the price), and were often easier to build with the real instructions from Lego than with the ones that came with.

For the most part, the tolerances are a bit worse, and I don't know if technic clones are awful or not. also, specific minifigs like the rivendell ones are notoriously wrong.

But when it comes down to a set that is THAT insane on the secondary market I would seriously consider it. My kid is just getting into Minecraft Lego too and I kind of like how it's 80s style minimal snot building, so maybe tolerance issues won't be an problem like they would be on a speed champions style thing.

Thanks for this advice! I did see that MouldKing was making a version of that set but seemingly halfscale, and maybe that would be enough for me, especially if MouldKing seems to be a pretty good replica manufacturer. Either way, I'll make some kind of decision.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I kinda like it but I doubt I'd pay that much for it. Plus, I have a feeling it's not a very fun build overall.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That waterfront house 3-in-1 looks cute.