Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are there any closeup pictures of it floating around? All I'm seeing is the low res press release versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm mostly curious if they actually spelled out LEGO on the studs and/or smoothed them out with tiles.

edit - awesome, they did:

http://gizmodo.com/this-incredible-full-scale-lego-x-wing-is-the-largest-m-509484787

I hate linking to gizmodo, but they seem to have the best pictures of the thing.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 23, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Then they'll show off a half finished one in a few years that turns out to be fully operational.:supaburn:

But instead of lasers, it will randomly place 2x2 bricks on carpets all over the world.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My favorite thing to do as a kid was try to use every single piece in my bucket to build a city. Had several street plates that I laid out and populated.. it's not high skill building but it does help develop tricks with fitting stuff together.

The fancy spaceships and robots you see a lot of these days are a result of many hours experimenting and building on a whim.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just want the scene where you can crush an at-st with two swinging logs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No comments on the build, but it looks neat and a lot like a cargo ship straight out of X3 Reunion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This was a cool story to wake up and read:

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2013/jun/HQ_13-173_Lego_NASA_Competition.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Too bad he's wearing the wrong helmet. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have maybe a 10 classic space dudes in varying states of decay.. a couple "good" ones but most of them have cracked armpits or worn decals. Chinstraps are about 50/50.

Which I'm fine with as I don't try to hoard minifigs, but I had so many as a kid and to have so few survivors is a little disappointing. Worst thing I ever did with my collection was to let my mom use it in her classroom.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blacktron is my favorite series ever. :allears:

Unfortunately I can't build any of the sets anymore because as stated previously, my collection spent years in a classroom and drat near everything of value was pilfered by grubby kids. I still have all the instructions though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Futuron was pretty good too. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love how your camera focused on everything except the guy you were taking a picture of.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kazy posted:

Ice Planet was my favorite as a kid growing up. It pisses me off when I see images of the dude just holding the orange chainsaw bit, it's suppoesd to go into the gun :argh:

On the other hand, to me they look like someone vomited random colors all over a bunch of perfectly good minifigs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those technic sets were so awesome but I never got one because they were as expensive as they were amazing. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$15 for a light grey antenna to complete my galaxy explorer.

I expected that part to cost a lot but holy cow. :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy crap that's just about the cleanest lego spaceship I've ever seen.

Really admire how they avoided cramming detail everywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think he's overstating how far back the collection goes as well. I'm not seeing vast tubs of blue or grey that would indicate a bunch of the 80's space or castle sets.. though the minifig tub clearly has some entrants from those eras.

I'd certainly want to visit the collection in person before offering money.. but maybe I'm just weird as I don't appreciate the stuff made since 1995 nearly as much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Koramei posted:

And I know this sounds like heresy to the majority 80s and 90s kids here but I think the new space vehicles are miles better than the old ones. The bases aren't nearly as good though.

They're certainly better detailed and look a lot more "science fictiony".. the instructions are fun to look at for ideas on getting stuff to stick together.

But everything feels like a wannabe star wars set, and can't figure out what's up with lego's aversion to sticking with a color theme. And don't get me started on all the painted bricks. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is there any better way of learning about the history of Lego other than browsing through the Brickapedia? Now that I've started learning about all these things that I wasn't aware of as a kid, I just can't stop.

Just google around.. wikipedia has pretty exhaustive lists of changes and you'll occasionally come across some lego nerd's blog detailing how and why sets changed over the years.

This guy for example has a ton to say about castle sets:

http://legosteveblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/history-of-lego-castle.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

Thinking back to the Futuron/Blacktron/M:tron days, there was very little actually spelling out who were good and bad. I like to imagine now that they're all just corporate-backed space mining operations, ranging from benign to shady corporate espionage types, but no clear-cut good and bad.

But then the space police showed up on the scene which had instructions telling you to put blacktron figures in those little jail cells and the lines were drawn. :colbert:

(I hated the space police, though some of that might be because that was around the time I decided I was getting "too old" for lego.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

Lego made a conscious decision years ago to include conflict in almost every boy-targeted box.

Yeah, they did a big gender based research program a few years ago to find out what works in an attempt to stay relevant. It's the same study that produced those female "Friends" atrocities that came out last year. It's certainly improving their sales, but I don't have to like it. :v:

There's adults out there that grew up from about 1960 to 1990 that got by just fine with "conflict free" lego so it's clearly a workable strategy, I just think there's so much competition for a kid's attention these days they've been forced to optimize to keep themselves afloat.

The only new sets I buy these days are the Creator line, because they appeal to my nostalgia the best.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RodShaft posted:

The reason the Friends line works is because most little girls want pink and purple, and little doll minifigs, and most parents want to buy their little girls those things. If that is a problem, it's a problem with society, little girls, and parents. Not Lego.

It is a fault with Lego because they're becoming part of a machine that perpetuates a stereotype. Obviously the root cause of the problem is society, but this is the sort of thing that takes generations to fix and can only be done if people take a stand against it.

I get that it was an adapt or die situation for Lego and I'm sympathetic to that, but they definitely also deserve criticism for the decision.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only sets I keep assembled are a handful of collectables to show off what a lego nerd I am. :colbert:

Everything else gets disassembled and re-sorted after a few days.

Longest lived set I have is my vw bug, because gently caress putting that thing back together ever again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It lives. :allears:

I opted to not replace the antenna (apparently the limit of my nostalgia is $15) and the blue slanted piece is the wrong one but I figured using a slightly wrong piece that's survived from my childhood was a little more authentic than getting the proper one off bricklink.

Also that robot has no business being part of the set, but I had it built so figured he could hang out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the replacements I bought are in significantly better shape than my originals. It's been so long since I've been able to see through transparent yellow windows I had forgotten what it was like. I actually like the old dusty look a little better, though it does mean the model is a bit rickety.. the rocket engines love to fall off from the slightest tap.

My next project is to see if I can complete the beta-1 base. I know I have the printed bricks and the rail pieces, which I think would be expensive to replace. The flag and tv antenna are long gone from my bins though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sloppy posted:

Owns. What is the correct blue slanted piece (assuming you mean the one with the logo)?

They made the same piece with two different versions of the space logo. The one in the photo I posted is the "small" version. The correct one for the set is a bit larger and almost completely fills the available space.

It's a really small difference but I figured if I didn't mention it some purist would pipe up and give me crap. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm headed to Brickworld tomorrow too.. leaving all my money at home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

Wow that opera house looks incredible, especially considering the "architecture" opera house sucked so bad. . . I cant possibly justify spending $320 on the sydney opera house, mainly because of lack of display space, but also because I just don't really care about the building in real life. It's an interesting looking building, but just not something I really like.

Got to see it in person today.. it is a pretty epic set. Gonna passe on it though. Like you said, it's too goddamn big. Needs really deep shelves or a huge table to have it on display.

Is a pretty big win for anyone wanting a ton of tan parts though.

Favorite builds at Brickworld were seeing the minifig scale Serenity in person, which was goddamn amazing. Everything by the ToroLUG guys was ridiculous too. drat near every build they had on display was nominated for a 'best of'.

There was a guy near Serenity that had almost all the original space lego sets on display too which I lingered at for quite a while. Pretty amazing collection because most of the sets almost look like they're fresh out of the box and don't have 20 years of play wear like mine do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This little guy loving owns:

Microscale Missouri by mrxzzy, on Flickr

There is in fact a tank under all this greebling. :stare:

Want some greebling? by mrxzzy, on Flickr

childhood.txt :allears:

Space Lego! by mrxzzy, on Flickr

Close to 100,000 bricks worth of Chima sets, just chilling out in boxes. :fap:

Free Pallet! by mrxzzy, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I tried to piece together another old set today, the Blacktron Invader. Most of this is prompted by the acquisition of some new shelves that I just have to fill up with stuff.

At any rate, the set is 99% complete except for, oddly, two 1x10 yellow plates. I have all the unique Blacktron printed pieces I need, just somehow over the years those two plain old plates wandered off. Fortunately the correct pieces could be replaced by one 1x8 and a 1x2 so I still got the set built.. it's just weird how some stuff disappears.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

I like that the classic space logo is worn, but the wear is all wrong. There shouldn't be any gold left at all, and the red might be gone, too, leaving just white.

Yeah, not seeing the movie now because of this failure. Clearly lego fans are not making the movie. :colbert:

The stop motion style looks pretty drat good, I was afraid they'd go for more of a lego video game style animation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mattfl posted:

2 minutes in and I already want to kill these guys, they are horrible.

Though I do like how they do a bit of an eyeroll and speed up the walk whenever they hit another star wars collection.

Funny how I thought I had managed to see everything at the show and watching the video I'm spotting stuff I missed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I went with my wife, but was browsing too slow for her, so she eventually went off and wandered on her own.

I burned a good 30 minutes just watching the great ball contraption. :haw:

Only reason I left is because the crowd was pretty self absorbed, got tired of being bumped and pushed out of the way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

Rich parents or, I guess, those with lots of kids who can get one big set to be shared rather than six small ones that the kids would fight over anyway because one of them is clearly better than the others

Pfft kids shouldn't worry about sets, they should just be presented with an enormous tub of bricks and told to have fun.

Preferably with a large table in the basement and a bunch of space/street plates with which they can build the best lego city ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The good news about minifig obsession is that if you find second hand sets missing their minifigs.. you can get a lot of great bricks for relatively cheap.

I don't see the point to it myself, you can't build anything out of minifigs. They just get set up in a display and sit there until you decide to sell them on bricklink.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Think he's talking about this:

http://city.lego.com/en-us/products/coast-guard/60015/

Clicking on the shopping cart yields a 404 so I guess it's not for sale yet?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can you spot the hidden face!?

(it's visible in that shot.. but maybe not recognizable)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

That's a lot of greebles

Can you handle all the greebles?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The rear end Stooge posted:

This is probably the best Lego Delorean I've seen:

Yeah, that's pretty glorious.

9 studs just isn't enough room to create the shape, the new model seems like a good source of parts and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Classic space is best space. :allears: