Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I moved out of the family home a few weeks ago, and whilst moving, I came across my Lego collection. I had been quite grumpy for the past few years, because I became convinced that it had somehow been sold in my absence - but no, apologies to my parents - we found it in full!

There isn't an awful lot to it - there's a couple of racing cars and speedboats, and a mishmash of City stuff (which was my brother's and I just used for MOCs), but I do have a couple of extra Pirate bits that I didn't realise I had.

I knew for certain that I had Forbidden Island because that was my only big set, and an awesome Christmas present - but it turns out that I also own Broadside's Brig, Castaway's Raft and Harbour Sentry.

And they're all in glorious condition. Now I've rebuilt them, I'm really seeing the need for some more Imperial Soldier sets and I'd love to extend into the Islanders too.

Or has anyone got any ideas on other sets which work well with Pirate sets? Maybe Castles?

I lurked in the other thread a lot - I feel like a Lego novice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009
I was debating doing the Daily Mirror thing, until I realised that I wouldn't be able to get the models from WH Smith (they always run out before midday in my town, and I'm fairly confident my boss wouldn't be sympathetic to me running out for 15 minutes every morning to collect Lego models) - and I'd have to pay the £9 postage. Add that to the cost of buying the papers (around £6), I thought I'd be best putting the £15 towards a larger set that I really wanted.

I realised this was my situation on Friday. I'm feeling a bit depressed over the thought that I'm so poor, I've spent this long mulling over a £15 purchase (and concluded I can't afford it).

In better news, I've dug out some tiny sets from when I was a child (blatantly spending pocket money at Woolworths toys) and found 6503 - Sprint Racer, 6508 - Wave Racer, 6509 - Red Devil Racer and 6531 - Flame Chaser.

There's quite a few instruction manuals in the box too (mostly town stuff from the 80s) that weren't mine, and alas the Lego pieces I have don't seem to match up. I was a bit bummed out that I wouldn't get to build some of the retro stuff but I guess I've been pretty lucky that I was such a tidy kid and all of the sets that were mine are pristine. :)

Testro
May 2, 2009

Iveliosiudicium posted:

Pirates

Your pirate sets are Pirate's Gun Cart, Castaway's Raft and Shipwreck Island. I built Castaway's Raft last night; it's quite a nice little set for what it is.

I got hold of Skull Island and Rocky Reef this week, and I'm really pleased with them both. Skull Island is a far better set than I'd imagined it to be and it was well worth the money.

The only downside is that now my Pirate faction is considerably bigger than my Imperial Soldiers faction - I'm not sure the Imperials can withstand attack with just Sabre Island, Broadside's Brig and Harbor Sentry to their name.

Oh well, it just looks like I'll have to buy some more sets..!

Testro
May 2, 2009
That photo has just confirmed to me that I absolutely, totally, 100% have to buy Tower Bridge.

I've been behaving and resisting, but you've just tipped me over the edge. It sounds like an amazing build.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I'm so sad that Brickbeard's Bounty is in the sale, but is sold out. Gutting.

I think a lot of people would love a lot of those bigger items. I know I'm disappointed, but it feels a bit of a con to only have a small number of each item - you haven't really got a chance of picking something up for a good price. :/

Testro
May 2, 2009

Sexual Lorax posted:

If you sort by color before function, I will crawl through your computer and end you. Then take all your Legos.

Eek! I don't have too many sets, so trying to sort by piece means I end up with about 50 boxes with 10 pieces in. I opted for colour in the end!

I quite like the challenge of rummaging through all of my grey pieces to find the one I need - otherwise my build time would be far too fast.

Does anyone here keep their pieces by set, or are most people into MOC building?

On an MOC point, has anyone got any recommendations of which sets to get to help MOCs along? For reference, I've got mostly pirate sets so I've always been a bit dubious how helpful a bunch of primary coloured 4 x 2 bricks would be in doing MOCs. Or does it make more sense to buy a couple of each set so you've got the 'right' bricks? Or is buying individual bricks the better answer?

Testro
May 2, 2009
I know they've been out a while, but do many of you have any of the Lego games? I received Pirate Plank for Christmas (I love my pirates!), but I keep eyeing up Shave a Sheep (Wild Wool). Has anyone played it? Is it worth it?

I keep being tempted by Banana Balance as well, mostly because I can get a heap of bananas for a cheap price, but the gameplay doesn't seem all that great. Has anyone else got it?

Testro
May 2, 2009
I've not bought any minifigs yet, but that may change with this set - they look great.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Sapper2CRNA posted:

Im ordering the Medieval Market Village today!!!!!

You won't regret it - I got mine last week, and it's fantastic.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I'm so torn about PotC. I really liked the first film, and watched the others, and have no problem with Lego having it as a franchise...

...but I'm a Classic Pirates fan and I've got a good percentage of the older sets. At first, I was really keen for the PotC sets (because it meant a return for Pirates) but having seen them, I think that the piece count is really low (obvious for a licensed theme) and I'm not sure that they're all that great.

I was pretty disappointed with the London Escape when I realised that the building wasn't the same size as the Medieval Market Village ones - and I thought it was particularly weak that the interior is only half there.

I think Cannibal Escape will work nicely with the Islanders though, so I might get that one, but I'm thinking of either moving into a different theme, or sticking with the more 'adult' builds.

I'm trying to decide between Grand Emporium and Imperial Flagship at the moment.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Yeah, I love old pirate sets. I've spent from lunch until now building Enchanted Island. I think I've only got Sabre Island left to build and all of my sets are up.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I desperately want Tower Bridge, but I'm concluding that it should be around for a while yet - so I'm going to buy Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium first so that they don't sell out.

And then I will save up again and get Pet Shop and Tower Bridge.

I can't believe that the Grand Emporium is the equivalent of £90 in the US, and it's over £130 (around $215) here. Ridiculous. :(

Testro
May 2, 2009
I've only got one minifig so far, which a friend gave to me - but I think I'd like all of this series; they look awesome.

After lusting after Tower Bridge, I decided that I was going to start on the modular buildings first because Tower Bridge would be around for a while. Then I promptly won Tower Bridge on eBay, so I've had to scrap that plan.

Does anyone know if the launch of Pet Shop is likely to bring about the demise of Fire Brigade? It makes more sense with my Lego VIP points to buy Grand Emporium first, but I can foresee me doing that and Fire Brigade being discontinued in the meantime...

Testro
May 2, 2009
Being open about my Lego love has netted me a big box of Lego from a friend of a friend's son. I gave him a bit of cash for it, but I think we've both come out winners.

You get so used to visiting sites like Bricklink that you forget that some people just see their Lego collection as childhood toys that they're no longer interested in.

Testro
May 2, 2009
My older brother had 8853 out of those Technic sets. I felt much the same about Technic and my failure to progress to Technic was what contributed to my dark age (too old to be playing with Lego; no interest in playing with Technic). I think the sets are pretty innovative in the way that they work, but not as fun to build.

That Test Car looks pretty awesome though, I have to say!

Testro
May 2, 2009
I got the Fire Brigade today. :toot:

Although I think I need to finish off Tower Bridge before I can justify cracking it open.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I would tell him something along those lines. Say that his version looks awesome, but you were planning on displaying it in the future and you'd really like to be the first one to showcase it.

Could you offer for him to display it after you've had yours in a show one year? Or are you located near enough for you to both appear at a show together?

I would also say to him that you really appreciate him showing consideration in asking you first, and it's made you feel that you're happy to share models/instructions/parts lists etc with the community in the future. It just might soften the blow a bit and make him less tempted to show it regardless of your wishes!

Testro
May 2, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The one downside which I found out half way through.. there's MegaBlocks in there. Gah. Luckily, it seems to only be black pieces, but it means I'm now checking it all more carefully while sorting now. And I'll have to go through the black bin now to make sure. It really is crappy stuff, isn't it? I'm putting it all together as a mass to make sure I don't lose any, but it seems to have trouble fitting to itself.
I am in a similar situation. I picked up a massive box of Lego for very cheap (so I really can't complain, and I'm not!) and it's scattered full of Megabloks (and a few others bits and bobs, e.g. Meccano). It's a real ache to sort and I've resorted to filtering Lego vs Megabloks vs other, and I will re-sort the Lego again at some stage.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I bought the Emerald Night the other week too, but I'm trying to resist the temptation to rip into it just yet (I powered through Grand Emporium this last week). I hadn't really had much interest in trains until I saw it for sale - and look at it...how can you not want it?!

Testro
May 2, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

It's kind of ridiculous that now I can easily walk out of Toys R Us with more pieces than I ever had as a kid.
I find that insane as well - when I think about it, I probably didn't have more than around 500-700 pieces as a child, but I've bought approximately 10,000 pieces in the last 3 months alone.

I'm still stuck in 'sets to assemble' mentality - and once I've built something, although I intend to MOC with it, I can't bring myself to take the models down.

Testro
May 2, 2009
^^ Captain Invictus, that's pretty amazing.

I bought a used bulk lot from a friend of a friend of a friend a little while back. It took ages to sort, but for £25 I got around 25lbs of Lego, and another 15-20lbs of Megabloks, plus some other misc junk.

There are quite a few minifigs (including a couple of Fabuland ones, I think) but no instructions. A lot of the Lego is in poor shape, but it's been interesting to sift through and I think I can make use of a bunch of it.

Although cataloguing it looks like it's going to be a pain in the arse. :suicide:

People seem a bit more savvy about selling Lego second hand these days. I look on gumtree occasionally but bargains aren't really there to be found - probably partly due to people putting up requests every few days (so it's clear it's in demand) and partly due to the inflated 'Buy it Now' sellers on eBay. I guess it's a timeless and expensive toy as well, so everyone saves it for their children or grandchildren.

Testro fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 31, 2011

Testro
May 2, 2009
I have had a successful hunt for Series 5 figs today. They came out here last week, and I picked up four at random - but managed to get two the same (so 3 different ones). That visit to Smiths gave me a £5 off voucher, so I bought 10 more today and got two the same again (so 9 different).

Quite pleased, as I'm only four short of a full set - graduate, cave girl, gangster and zookeeper...although a tad sad, because I really wanted a graduate and a gangster!

But I was fairly pleased to scoop 9 different ones out of 10 today!

Testro
May 2, 2009
Whereabouts in the world are you? I want a graduate, and can't decide whether to keep fumbling or do some swaps...

Testro
May 2, 2009
Asda has been really good this week with its sales. I didn't manage to pick up the Quidditch set which was discounted, but I did get Freeing Dobby for £1.80 - and I've ordered Cannibal Escape from their Asda Direct site for £15.

I've never seen the minifig packs in there though; WHSmiths is the only place in town that I've found that has them.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I've got a spare of the lumberjack or the detective, if you fancied switching one for a graduate?

Testro
May 2, 2009
I have the lighthouse in my 'to build' pile. A friend of mine went to New York and offered to bring some back for me, which gave me a nice discount on UK prices! Looks good; I might crack it open this weekend.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Yeah, I can second that - I bought that set solely for the bricks to use in Roman-esque buildings.

Testro
May 2, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Wow, that is a lot of pieces. I felt like splurging on a big huge set like this, I was gonna get the Alien Invasion HQ thing, but now I dunno...

Get MMV - it will be the best thing you've built in a long time.

As for the girl discussion...all I ever wanted was some more female minifigures. Got some pirates? Brill, let's have a few female pirates. Got some cops? Brill, let's have a few female cops. Got some firefighters? ....you get the picture.

The message from Lego themselves seems to be that if you're the type of girl who's already playing with Lego, they don't need to do more to keep you - they're trying to focus on the girls who are showing no interest. I sort of see the logic, but it pains me. I think they shy away from adding females to the general sets for fear of scaring off boys.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Red posted:

Worst mini-figure they've made so far. I think I'm going to bag that little fucker or something and just give it to Goodwill or something.
Goddamnit, I really want a graduate and I can't find it. I'm getting worried that by the time I find him, I'm going to be so disappointed when I put him together!

My initial hit ratio for searching the minifigs was pretty great, but I can't seem to get anywhere now.

I think I need to curb my Lego spending for a bit though. Going to build my Creator Lighthouse today.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I love your subway MOC - underground stations and subways are my new favourite Lego setups.

My idea book was number 6000 but I recall thinking that I couldn't build a lot of it. I seem to think it was my brother's and he had town sets, whereas I had pirate ones and it was probably a case of him not letting me mess with his bricks! I've just had a quick thumb through it and I might give a few of them a go when I next get my bricks out.

Has anyone bought the new Ideas Book? I know it's not officially out yet, but I'm sure I saw someone online saying that they'd received theirs earlier. I'm trying to decide if it's worth a pick up or not...

Testro
May 2, 2009
The problem I keep finding is that I seem to have a lot of Lego, but I never seem to have the parts I need.

I feel I am mostly being thwarted by the lack of flat tiles, which seem to crop up a fair amount in the USA's PAB walls but not in the UK - and it seems that all of the MOCs that I'm most impressed by are completely covered in them.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Medieval Market Village and Emerald Night are two sets that I found joyous to build, and I think I may regret not buying multiples of them (Emerald Night for the extra coaches; MMV to make a town with).

They both have a great price per piece ratio and are excellent models to boot, but as I have limited money, I can't justify buying more of them when there are other Lego models that I want to own.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Emerald Night was a wonderful build. It was my first foray into trains (I've ordered another train, power functions and track for Christmas already) and I loved it. I'd recommend getting that one, for sure.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I've just had a similar sort of wrangle. I wanted Pet Shop but I realised that another set which was hovering on my 'do I get, don't I get' list was on the brink of selling out. I reckoned that Pet Shop will be safe for a while, so it made more sense to drop the cash on the other set.

Fire Brigade looks marvellous next to Grand Emporium. I'm definitely going to buy Pet Shop, but it felt rather small when I saw it in the shop - Fire Brigade has got some bulk to it (it's quite wide) so it has a real presence on display, and the interior details (such as the fridge) are pretty awesome too. The SNOT date was probably one of my favourite build moments over all of my recent purchases.

Although there would be an intense irony if Pet Shop got dropped before the other modulars because they're still selling well (due to panic buying / re-sellers) and everyone was ignoring Pet Shop because it's "safe"!

Overall, I'd vote for Fire Brigade. If it's not quite what you want once you've built it, there's no reason why you couldn't change it into another building - the colours are very traditional (grey/red) and Pet Shop should hopefully stick around for another 18 months, giving you time to save for it if you wanted to add that to the street. If you go the other way around and Fire Brigade sells out, you might regret (a la Green Grocer!) not being able to afford it in your lineup.

I did think that the bottom might fall out of the re-seller market (so you could pick up FB for much cheaper), but Lego seems to be on an up company wise at the moment and I think that the crash might be a while off yet...

Testro
May 2, 2009

The Duck of Death posted:

It's a goddamned tragedy that they never released the Europa theme.

This is awesome.

Testro
May 2, 2009
That sounds like Sabre Island: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6265-1

Otherwise, maybe Lagoon Lock-Up: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6267-1

Both were part of the Pirates line up. Europa looks like an excellent mix of Pirates and Castle.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I didn't really get into LOTR (but then, I probably wasn't the target audience when it came out) so this has probably done me a favour...it's given me one less line to bother with. With two modulars to buy (I still haven't got Pet Shop), Joust and the mini modular set, it's going to be an expensive year anyway!

Testro
May 2, 2009
Haha, yeah, that too! I meant the films (although failed to state that!). I had tried to read the Hobbit when I was about 9 but it didn't do much for me and I think that put me off engaging with the franchise later on.

My mates all love it though - books, films...the lot.

Testro
May 2, 2009

GidgetNomates posted:

With regards to that thing about Minecraft Lego sets, does anyone else feel like there's not much of a point? Most of Minecraft can be done with just...regular bricks. Just regular colored blocks, I don't really see what there is about it that would be special enough to license a set for. Like, if they released a Minecraft village or something like that, wouldn't it just be a collection of square bricks? I don't play Minecraft but I've seen quite a few videos of it and it seems like making a licensed set of a game made out of voxels would be a waste.

I feel a bit the same with regards to this - but I think what's interested Lego is that the community of Minecraft have been motivated enough to en masse vote (and rapidly)...so if they can sell Lego to Minecraft fans because it's under a Minecraft umbrella, they might convert a percentage of those Minecraft fans into Lego fans.

Monsterw21faces' link is depressing - the whole reason why Lego fails with girls is written there very clearly...they don't want necklaces (Scala), they don't want lack of detail (Paradisa), they don't want a focus on accessories (Belville), they don't need more dolls (Scala Dolls) and they don't want jewellery (Clikits). A few female AFOLs have said it more than once - what girls want is to be put into the standard themes. More female minifigs - why can't they have female police officers, female firefighters, female criminals etc ...and a swerve away from confrontation would be appreciated. But apparently, female AFOLs know nothing because they're already unconventional for liking Lego in the first place(!)

I went into Hamleys a while ago and the fourth floor is a place I avoid - the other floors are a range of colours and hobbies..and the fourth floor is just an explosion of pink. I felt suffocated by pink as a kid. I like it as a colour now, but when I was a child, I hated it because everything you were given was smothered in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009
I can't recall (m)any female villains...there were two female pirates, as I recall. Someone made a list on Eurobricks of which sets had female minifigures in and there was a lean towards females being princesses, queens, maids or relations (e.g. Blacksmith's Wife) etc. Even in the recent Imperial Flagship, the female was the Governor's Daughter - so a relative of a male, rather than someone interesting in her own right.

I know it's probably not realistic to have female blacksmiths in Castle sets, but that's what's depressing as a female building Lego - maybe it doesn't have to be 100% historically accurate...maybe it would be nice to have a female knight or jester etc. All it does is reinforce the current stereotypes - women can look after the kids, or clean.

I find that girls don't build with Lego so much a bit baffling; if the line was drawn with Technic, I could understand it more. I like what Technic can do, but building diggers didn't excite me when I was younger, whereas my brother adored it. I was always into setting up a scene - doing the build and then placing the figures strategically to tell a story.