Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

runlegosleeprepeat posted:

So is this just an OCD Lego nerd thread? I'm way into Legos, I use them for my job, I teach kids how to use them properly, but I'm not excited about the decoration pieces the way you guys are. I'm much more interested in how Legos can be used to express engineering ideas and actually DO things.

I'd really appreciate your participation in this thread. I have an NXT, an RCX, the dark side developer kit and the droid developer kit, and I play with my autistic brother.

And I kinda got obsessed myself as a result, lol.

But yeah, I'll want tips and advice and such. But right now I'm such a novice, I'd like just about the most basic stuff you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
On the brickarms/megablocks front...

I toss megablocks because they're cheaply made, look like poo poo, and don't fit well enough for my tastes. Not because they're 'impure.'

Brickarms look solid. I wouldn't be above usin' 'em.

But at the same time, one of the appeals of lego (and sharing your MOCs with a community) is that anybody could reproduce your design. This only works because there's a limited number of lego brick shapes and colors. Even then, that number is getting so big that it's very difficult to just reproduce somebody else's MOC with your collection - any sizable MOC will still be a SHIP. At least if all the parts are official LEGO brand, you have resources to help you track down what was used. Once you start allowing for non-lego parts, it makes it harder to look at a MOC and figure out what all is used in it.

Allowing brickarms and ONLY brickarms wouldn't actually cause a problem here, so I figure it's a personal choice. But if the group consensus was that 'anything goes', and that pieces can be painted, glued, other parts can be used, etc... well, then it becomes more sculptures that incorporates lego, than lego sculptures proper. And I can see why the majority prefer to stick to lego sculptures.

I get the impression in the lego robotics community they're a lot less concerned with this, and it's more about function and form than 'authenticity.'

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

3 posted:

Counterpoint.

I don't care what someone else does. And if the end result looks impressive, I'll offer praise. A lot of people have this misconception that there's somehow 'cannon' and 'eu' lego MOCs. There ain't. Each person has their own rules that they adhere to for their reasons. And each fan appreciates the finished product in their own way for whatever reasons they choose to.

'least that's how I see it. But I only use genuine lego. And I ain't never built nothin' that's worth of posting on the internet.

yet.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Ika posted:

I wish they were out here :(

me too. definitely my next big purchase. The power functions and the linear actuators would all but complete my robotics needs. Just need the pneumatics, after I've picked that up.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

LarryCsonka posted:

Just got back from Toys R Us...

I am pretty excited. First set I have gotten in 10 years

I picked this up at TRU the other day as well.

I'm giddy.