Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

My 2 and 4 year olds have been watching me get back into legos for the last few weeks. I am looking to get them a set to play with. Are there any go to Lego/Duplo sets? My oldest daughter likes princess/ building castles, and my youngest likes cars/trucks.

Any goon wisdom or just go crazy dropping :20bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Yiggy posted:

My 2.5 year old loves the toy story sets. We’ve rebuilt the rc car and the buzz coaster many times the simplicity of them makes it easy for them to grasp. I had to remove the flag and balloon pieces on the coaster and anything that’s less sturdy such as the antenna on the RC car. The LEGO movie 2 minifig sets also well received. The Benny space squad and the unikitty tea party. Minifigs made the most sense to them at first.

From there we’ve moved on to one of those basic creative suitcase sets.

Awesome! Thanks!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I don’t know if this question even makes sense, but I figured trying here would be better then reddit. If I want to build a Moc (from like jkbrickworks) and I click through to rebrickable, what strategy do people use to buy stuff? Whoever has the highest percentage of the pets? Or some pieces from tons of stores? I would like to build a few of their things, but have never used rebrickable. It also seems that stores that have 99% of the parts will be twice as much as a store with 96%? I feel like I am not smart enough to live that moc life.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Carbohydrates posted:

Okay, this is all just my personal process, so grain of salt and all that.

I wouldn't use Rebrickable's buying interface. I would create the wishlist in Bricklink and then use their algorithm to automatically select stores to buy from.

To be specific, the first thing I do is hit "easy buy" just to see what the result is. It will show you what it thinks is your cheapest route to acquiring the parts you need. It prioritizes your location and using the minimum necessary number of stores to get your parts. This is not always the very best way to go, but I run it first as a reference point.

Next, I go into the wishlist, click "buy all," and then hit "auto select." For smaller orders, I make sure I'm only checking stored in North America to keep my shipping times and costs down. For orders that are larger, require bulk amounts of one piece, or require rare or obscure parts, searching internationally is more likely to find better deals. Try it both ways, compare against the Easy Buy offering from before, and pick the one that feels best.

Once your shopping carts for the various BL stores have been created, go view them all manually. Make sure the parts are in acceptable conditions and such, like you haven't accidentally added a bunch of used parts that have notes like "yellowed/cracked." Go to the stores' splash pages and terms pages, make sure there's no exorbitant fees or stupid policies. Check out with each store and call it a day.

You can spend a little more to skip large chunks of this process by specifying "new" condition for every part and then just roll with the "auto buy" results, but I like to be thorough so I know exactly what I'm getting at the best prices.

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't tried Rebrickable but I tried Brick Owl once, and their store was terrible. It's difficult as hell to get a wishlist going, and it's just as frustrating to figure out how to buy anything. It would suggest stores to me, but I'd click in and they'd all have insane minimum buys or some of the parts would be insanely expensive. Like Carbohydrates said, Bricklink is the easiest place to buy parts from. Even then, it is still a bit frustrating. Bricklink doesn't look at minimum orders, so you could get a cart with a store that requires a minimum of 25 dollars. Or it builds a cart in a store where a part you want has a minimum buy of 20 or something. And it still has issues where someone decides that their 2x4 plates are worth double what anyone else charges for no reason. You'll have to spend a few hours trying to consolidate between different carts, realizing one store is a total bust, so you have to then search for those parts in other stores you have carts with to try to get your number of orders down. Expect to spend at least 150% what you think you're going to pay. Buying parts for MOCs is an exercise in patience. Especially when you realize a store you bought from only ships out once a week.

Thank you both so much! I will check in after I get my 2 orders in.

Are there any other places to see more kinetic builds then JK Bricklink? I really like the moving stuff.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

My kids will love that poo poo.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I watched The Mandalorian for the first time today on a flight. It was amazing and now I want my first star wars LEGO set.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

This is super cool. I am not creative enough to do my own Mocs, and this is crazy interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Had some time to build some JK Brickworks stuff today. Really cool moving builds. Plus the Great A’Tuin!

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 21, 2020

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

sigher posted:

Those are fantastic, but timg those shits.

Ha. do I put a t in somewhere?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Hopper posted:

I need this to go with my Discworld novel collection. I will have to look into bricklinking parts for the first time. Good thing I have nothing else to do since we are under a shelter at home order now, too.

Edit: Huh, seems like the JK Brickworks website is down.

Yeah, it took me about an hour to figure out how to add and buy stuff. Very worthwhile.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Boredom has me wondering what the most fun set to build would be? I have all the real sets I want right now, plus do not want to drop a few hundred on new stuff. So what would be the most fun build to look for on AliExpress? Just pure fun/wonder.

I would say the James Bond Aston Martin was fun (also my first build back as a grownup). The Saturn V was amazing to hide all the studs.

I’m mostly looking for something not crazy expensive that would be fun to build, disassemble, and store till my kids are older/the next pandemic.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nice! I’ll search for some modulars. I have never done any of them, and they look pretty cool. I have the F40, but the Caterham is pretty cheap.

The diner and the Temple of Airjitzu seem more affordable then Ninjago city, but that thing looks massive and bad rear end.

Has anyone build the roller coaster?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Waltzing Along posted:

Probably my least favorite build. It's repetitive and hurts. Very very boring. And bits are finicky and annoying. It's cool assembled but for how long it takes it is not fun. Find the instructions online and look through them to see. The pillars were the worst part.

Done and done. Will not mess with that.

OSU_Matthew posted:

What’s crazy expensive?

Also keep in mind that shipping from China has ground to a halt recently, and UPS/SFExpress raised their prices 50%. Also production of non oem bricks was already at a standstill in January for Chinese New Years, and with the lockdown and now global recession inventory hasn’t really recovered.

If you like Star Plan, the first order Walker, Star destroyer , and AT-ST were fun builds from this seller, and shipped to me in 3 days:

https://brickbuilder.us/

The UCS Slave one is a great build too, and the mechanized AT-AT. The Death Star playset is pretty great to piece together. Yourwobb.com has been my go to for pretty much everything, but they’ve had to bump their prices 20% due to the spike in shipping.

Ninjago city was one of my favorite builds. Apocalypseburg might be good too, haven’t cracked that one open yet. The treehouse is good, or if you’re looking for modulars, my top three are aassembly square, the corner garage, and bank. The Modern Library MOC was a pain in the butt, but the end result was worth it. The VW Van Model was great for a vehicle build, and Technic stuff is fun to mix in. I’m personally very excited to crack open the Xerion 5000 tractor. It’s a smaller set, but lego did recently release the ISS. Haven’t bought that yet, but it’s on my list. In my build queue I’m most excited for the Fairgrounds Mixer amusement park ride, and ghostbusters HQ.

Probably under 100 for now. I know that things are slowing down, but I was going to turn to Jeremy/LOLtoy/Ywobb type resellers. I am not a huge star wars guy (even though I was in love with the Mandelorian. I was just seeing for some must have fun build sets.

Thanks!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Man, I want that Hedwig, but barnes and noble only seems dumb.

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 29, 2020

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Scipiotik posted:

They don't have a baby yoga mini.

All I want is that IG-11. :(

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

PowerBeard posted:

Who do Flat Earthers blame?

In Lego related posting, I picked up the 3 in 1 Pirate Creator set and having a blast with it. Love the firing cannons and the hideout tavern was great fun. Will move onto making the Skull Island this weekend.

I didn’t even know that was out. Fun build? I want a smaller pirate ship to add to my ship in a bottle shelf.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I have a halo warthog and a detective pikachu that are both good. I really want that master chief helmet they teased.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Tell me it’s dumb to buy the Rasor Creat just because I want (in order) IG-11, the child , and mando figs. Also I already got the brick head of the child and mando.

But man do I love IG-11. I may have to get a funko pop? Good lord.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

deoju posted:

Saw this MOC IG-11 brickheadz a while ago...
https://bellevebricks.co.uk/shop/the-mandalorian-ig-11/

Pretty well done.

Thanks!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s an IG-11 Black Series figure that you can probably find fairly cheap on eBay.

And thanks!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

For people that were looking, both the Halo mega construct Master Chief helmet and the Covenant sword seem to be out everywhere now.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

duz posted:

Yeah it's another tensegrity build but like a double tensegrity build.
https://i.imgur.com/mJWTC6b.mp4

That’s bad rear end. Yours?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

That lighthouse would be a day one for me. Love the nautical stuff.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I would love the razor crest if shipping was not wild?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

sigher posted:

$150 for the two Mandalorian sets, I'll get it packaged up and get a quote on the shipping if you want to give me a Zip Code. OSU_Matthew asked about the set and PMed me before so to be fair if he wants it, I'll give him first dibs.

What is the second Mando set? The Black Y-wing? And that is cool if Matthew gets it, I would just be interested in the Rasor Crest.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Cojawfee posted:

I'll only get the 911 if I can get that Amelia Earhart plane with it.

That’s my plan as well!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

The Hedwig build was fun, I will probably pick up the Phoenix.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The set is clearly a tribute to legos heritage, not hate

This is good and I want you to know that.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Electromax posted:

"I'm telling you Jerry, you just stack them up, put them in the closet and 18-24 months later ~*zrrrrrrrp*~ you turn around and flip them for a coooooool $200."
"They're children's toys, Kramer!"
"Oh there's no kids, I'm going through the scalper's haven now. Straight from the distributor! They're in Denmark, Jerry. Denmark! The kids don't even know they're missing out, it's victimless!"

Tone on this is perfect.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

xzzy posted:

Disassembling my microscale hogwarts to make room for different display stuff, and this assembly can gently caress off.

Talk about a fingernail ruiner.

Wait, there is a microscale hogwarts?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

gently caress. That is beautiful. And out of stock. And $400. Boo.

Another question,
I am looking for some cheap containers to put sets in so I can replace with new sets. Any ideas?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Went to buy some stuff to try to get the tiger GWP, but the butthole tiger was sold out. Boo. Don’t really want $80 of stuff if I’m not starting with the big Tiger.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I picked up a Moc from AliExpress, and have a clutch question. Would this work if I had real Lego parts? As is, they do not actually stay together with this technique.

Question 2, if it doesn’t work, any way to glue it together without melting the bricks?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Carbohydrates posted:

It's not impossible. Those pieces cannot be stacked without leaving a 1/2 plate / 4 LDU gap, sure, but the upper one isn't being used for that purpose. The curved slope bit is decorative, and it should be able to hit that slight ~4 degree angle by the grace of horizontal tolerances. The important part is the studs on either side of the ring holding the front and back of the engine together, which should work - but yes, it'll be weak.

If your parts lack clutch and you can''t get it to work, you can just core the assembly with a 3L or 4L bar piece, since every part on that engine has a cross axle hole through the middle and it'll pass between the ring plates and 1 x 1 studs.

This is brilliant. I will see if I have some extras sitting around and those with a bit of tac perhaps.

Thanks!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

In Carbo we trust.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

HootTheOwl posted:

love it, does it fit in the ? block?

In the ? Block? I don’t follow.

And I love it too!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett spoilers:

So uhh, we're getting that sick-rear end hot rod N-1 Starfighter as a set soon, right? ... right?

One of my first thoughts when watching. I am pumped.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

3 in 1 pirate ship on sale. What are peoples thoughts? I have nothing to build right now, but also no space?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

MarxCarl posted:

It's excellent. I didn't think I'd like the sails, but they've grown on me. Brick built hull is a nice change from the ships in the regular pirate lines. Goes together great, has some neat building techniques, looks good, and bonus if it's on sale.

Thanks all! I have no self control so I’m picking it up!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Skios posted:

God help me, I might get the Hungarian Horntail even though I haven't touched a Harry Potter book in almost twenty years and even though I'm fully aware of the author being a garbage person. This is the first bit of Harry Potter Lego that I'm genuinely considering buying, especially at that price.

This looks dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I think that’s a feature, not a bug.

But also I went green for that reason.