Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

I have a quick question about the in-store Pick-a-Brick - I've seen where people started carefully packing the PAB containers, stacking bricks and arranging things smartly to get much higher piece yeilds and significantly lower cost per piece than randomly dumping pieces in. I'm tempted to drive to Columbus and get $100+ of PAB pieces for building and designing.

Do the Lego store people get pissy if someone is doing that, or do they not really care if someone packs the PAB container?

Whenever I go, I usually wind up spending at least a half-hour deciding what to get and doing a decent pack. I've never seen them annoyed at anyone. I think the kids that spill Lego all over the floor rate higher on their annoyance scales.
Of course, if you're a rude, smelly neckbeard who shoves little kids out of the way because there's only a few purple flames left or something, they'd get a little miffed. Just grab a handful, hang back by the counter and pack it, then go back; don't block the wall, because it can get crowded (as you might expect, there are far fewer people in there at 10am on a school day than there are on a weekend or at 4pm on Friday afternoon).

You may find it hard to spend $100 in PAB unless they have something you specifically need for a SHIP; it's rare I get more than two large cups. If they do, though, they might have the $150 cardboard box that will get more more parts than 10 $15 cups. If you ask, they may even sell you the bags they get the parts in for like $75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

Hahahaha, I laughed at the smelly neckbeard shoving the kids away. I could see someone doing that. No, I would be a bit more careful and curteous than that. I like the idea of setting down a cup and going back and forth carefully like that.

Too bad they don't have PAB for Technic pieces.

If there are a bunch of kids in the store, just keep an eye on your cup. Last time I was there, a ~4-year-old decided he liked my cups and tried to take them. :3:
I help out parents all the time at the wall. Let them know if there are sets (wheels, tires, axles), or to remind them to get stems with the handful of flowers their little girl grabbed, point out other plant life if they're looking for any, and to sprinkle in some small pieces to fill gaps.

At Lego cons, registered attendees might have an after-hours pilgrimage to a Lego store if there's one nearby (Brick-con in Seattle does this). I didn't go to the one last year, but it's possible that since the managers know a bunch are coming, they might order pieces more suited to AFOLs. Still, it'd be awesome to have a technic PAB, even if the large cups cost twice as much.

Also, ask an employee if they have a 'sample cup' of PAB stuff they haven't moved to the wall yet.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 18, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Mine GO BOOM posted:

What is better than one Excavator? How about two, with TRU's Buy One, Get One 50% off deal for $325 with tax?

Their bags don't support the weight of two of these things.

Goddamn, man.
I'm wary enough as it is about spending $200 on 1100 pieces, even if there are 4 M motors, 2 IR receivers, 2 remotes, and a battery box.
Yeah, you wanna get the best deal you can when it comes to expensive sets, but, sheesh.

Shame Borders doesn't carry high-end Lego sets like that. Love to use a 40% off coupon on one of those!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sham I Am posted:

I am curious as to how much you guys tend to spend on this hobby a year?

My Peeron list says I have $4291 in MSRP sets. Before 2008, I probably had fewer than $200 in sets from my childhood. I tend to buy sets on sale (so the $420 Peeron thinks I spent on EXT Alien Infiltrators is probably closer to $200), but I've also bought a lot of large cups at pick-a-brick.
And, frankly, I don't really want to know how much money I'm spending. :)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Just to let everyone know: Fred Meyer appears to be clearancing some Lego sets. They're not 'official' clearance, but 60% off is pretty drat close. Thunder Drillers for $12, Hyperspeed Pursuit for $20, Freeze Ray Frenzy and Gold Tooth Getaway for $6, some Bionicle and Duplo...and a bunch of other stuff around 30% off (like the Raid VPR, Ben 10, and other stuff). I picked up two Hyperspeed Pursuits ($50 sets), two Thunder Drillers ($30 sets), VPR ($10), 2 Fire Blasters ($10), a Goldtooth Getaway ($10), and Freeze Ray Frenzy ($10). $210 MSRP, got it for $107 after tax.

afflictionwisp posted:

...nobody actually does that in a single trip, do they?

I did have a discussion with a clerk one time about the guy that had been ahead of me in line. He had been trying to save up enough VIP points to get a 10188 Death Star, so he had been in the store every week for months buying random sets he didn't even actually want. "That way, he gets the death star for free :rolleyes:."

That guy's an idiot. 10188's $400, which I'm fairly sure would take at -least- $4,000 in purchases to get, assuming it doesn't go on clearance (and the second it does, minifig scalpers are going to buy up every last one). I'm not even sure the Lego VIP system is a 10% rewards system...it might only be 5%.
Still, it's hard to consider any Lego set one you 'don't want' if you're pretty much getting it for the pieces.

Taeke posted:

I usually get an odd look when they ask if I want it giftwrapped and I say no, especially from the younger clerks. A 22 year old student buying LEGO for himself in this small city is a rare thing indeed.

In the last thread, I think someone mentioned a Lego store clerk asking a lone adult if they were buying for a child got chewed out by another clerk.
Anyone who works at a toy store should know better in this day and age.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Catsworth posted:

Does anyone remember or have a list or something that shows when the new Slave 1 is coming out? I want to say it was July or August sometime, but it was awhile ago we first heard about it so I can't be sure.

As I mentioned earlier, it's already out. My local TRU had it on the shelves a week ago.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

If anyone wants some of those Toy Story alien figs but doesn't want to pay for the Construct-a-Buzz/Zurg or one of the other big sets, TRU seems to have gotten these in. They were apparently a free gift with purchase in France and Australia and as a sendaway in the UK, but just on shelves in the US as a normal purchase for $3.99 now.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Guzwar posted:

I got stuck on the Processing Payment screen. Twice. All I wanted was some treads so I could make tanks and poo poo.

EDIT: Woo, third time's the charm!

You know, if you guys want tracks and don't want to deal with Bricklink, there's a much better way to get them than buying discounted Bioncle/City/Technic sets:

60 black tracks, 60 dark gray tracks, $15

36 small tracks/conveyor belt links, $10

100 dark gray tracks, 10 black sprockets, $12

Only the cheapest bricklink stores approach those prices.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Plastik posted:

Most impressive is that even on their cover images, Bestlock pieces don't loving fit together. At all. There's bigass gaps all over the place because the pieces won't fit.

I think it's hilarious that Bestlock has windows on all its packages to show how 'compatible' they are with Lego, or even have clear packaging (the minifig sets). If you even give them a basic examination, you'll see how horrible the build quality of the minifigs are, and how cheap-looking the plastic used in the bricks are.

And looking at their packaging pics, you can usually spot bad sprue trimming, poor fit, warped pieces...I can't believe anyone who looks at them in stores would ever buy one.

I was at TRU a few weeks ago, and I overheard a guy talking on his cell phone to someone who wanted the 'SWAT' Lego set. After he finished, I told him that he was probably looking for the SWAT helicopter BestLock set. I tried to show him how terrible the quality was tried to turn him towards the Lego City police stuff, but I don't think he was willing to bring the wrong thing home.
I can only hope the kid was so disappointed that they returned it to the store and bought a proper Lego set.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Have the series 2 made it to the US yet? I've been checking my local TRU and have not heard anything from them.

I think someone in this thread mentioned, or I read somewhere else, that US Lego stores are getting them in November, which usually means mid-late October for TRU and some other locations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I don't know how many of you follow Penny Arcade, but Gabe posted this the other day, talking about playing Creationary with his son. Which obviously led to today's strip. I presume Tycho will have a newspost later today talking about it.

Gabe's bird is looking pretty good there...someone needs to try building it for real.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

sam.freak posted:

Went to the local supermarket and bought two of these for €10 each. Half price offers are awesome.

Man, I can't find those anywhere anymore. I was leaving my dark ages just as Mars Mission was hitting end-of-life, and over the course of a few months and a variety of sales, I bought 14 of them. They were a great source of parts.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

The LDD has a distinct lack of the cool windshields and cockpit covers I remember. How am I supposed to remake my Super Sonic Space Plane? :argh:

Yeah, looks like even Universe Mode doesn't have anything that used the old-style hinges. Only click-hinges are in there.
I bitched about missing key classic pieces earlier on, when I was re-creating the Mega Core Magnetizer.

Made a trip to the Bellevue Lego store today. Said they were getting the minifigs on the 1st, but the guy wasn't sure about what sort of limits they'd have.
Picked up the City and Castle Advent Calenders. $35 each, which was a bit spendy, especially since the City one has fewer than 300 pieces, and Castle fewer than 200. Castle at least has 9 minifigs.

Lots of people in the store at 11am, and drat near everyone was getting a Lego game. Looks like they're getting popular.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Slashie posted:

That's incredible, thank you so much. Those dinosaur sets in particular are amazing. Is the submarine big enough for Lego dudes to go inside? I can't really tell from the pictures.

Judging by the instructions, you could stick a minifig in the main body of the sub, but there's no detailing or anything very cockpit-like.

I got this when my mom went to a giant neighborhood garage sale last year, and it's a pretty awesome little sub. The sides open up to get access to the interior, there's a cockpit, storage areas for tanks and helmets, an engine...it's got a little scooter-type vehicle, an ROV and the front of the sub detaches.

In other news, since I'm impatient, I already opened up both the Advent Calenders I bought and assembled everything. I was surprised at some of the extra pieces--most minifigs with hair came with two hair pieces, except the Castle Queen, Maiden, and the little girl in the City one. Most items with a weapon (sword, hammer) came with at least one extra, and I got 6 swords between a Minifig and a Sword in the Stone model in Castle. I got one crossbow and two quivers for one soldier fig.
City had fewer figs, but more overall pieces. Several of them were minifig-scale toys. A crane, bulldozer, firetruck, plane, and helicopter. They're all pretty sweet.
Speedo-wearing santa and the shower are really in there, which is still just inexplicable.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Got my S2 minifigs today. Called the Puyallup TRU around lunch and she told me they still had 'a lot' left, but they were $2.99. I headed up there for an extended lunch break while debating with myself over buying a full box (like I did with S1). I didn't want to pay $180 with $60 of that being pure TRU markup. The debate was resolved when I saw 'em. Two open boxes, and the figs were a mess. Tried to use my phone to get to a barcode list, but doing it that way was just gonna suck.
Turns out there's an Android app that has all 32 minifigs and their various barcodes in it, and it supports barcode scanning. I spent nearly a half hour assembling two complete sets (not easy with the reflections and the seam interfered with easy scanning); took a good 60 figures before I found any weightlifters. Lots of cops, though.

So as of about 2pm today, the Puyallup TRU had ~80 minifigs left.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Red posted:

Is there a barcode list for those of us who *don't* have an Android?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/savatheaggie/4903956694/

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I had three big sets as a kid, all of them from my Aunt. The Sonar Transmitting Cruiser, one of the first electrified brick systems. My favorite set as a kid.
Then I got the 1990 Space Shuttle, which was pretty cool. Finally, and what I remember as the last set she ever got me, was Ice Station Odyssey. I entered my dark ages not long after.
My best friend had the Mega Core Magnetizer, but he moved. It was the second old set I purchased after I left my dark ages, after the SP1 Mission Commander I bought on a whim at BrickCon last year. I always did want one of the space monorails, but I'm not a big enough fan to pay the premiums on them now.

Humerus posted:

The one in Orlando?
Because I know as of Saturday at least the Super Target on Orange had Series 2 minifigs. I didn't have the barcode scans with me so I just picked one out at random and got the explorer guy, which is awesome.

What's really awesome is he comes with an actual magnifying glass. You know Megablocks would've just made it a flat piece of clear plastic, not an actual clear 2x lens.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

What's a good price per pound on bulk legos?

Depends. Plain bulk bricks, I probably wouldn't pay more than $5/pound. A properly 'mixed' lot that hasn't been picked through that has minifigs tops out around $10/pound.
Specialized lots can obviously go for more. At Brickcon last year, I saw ziplocs of random old gray pieces being sold for $50. A mixed lot of old sets from the 80s or early 90s could certainly go for more, too. If the seller says the lot is a bunch of complete sets in good condition, it's worth more, too. A 'Star Wars Seller' selling all the sets he got after scalping the minifigs are probably worth 50% MSRP--the seller certainly paid for the sets with the figs (I just saw a guy on Craigslist post a minifig-free Clone Wars collection worth $1115 MSRP for $500).

VVVVVVVV

Carbohydrates posted:

How serious are ya? I might part with mine. :)

I'd love to get a Cafe Corner...for a reasonable price.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 28, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Was at the Borders in Tacoma today, and I wandered to the toy section. They had two pristine boxes of S2 minifigs; didn't look like they had been touched.
On the back, though, they had the Borders barcode sticker. They were priced at $3.99 apiece. I just laughed and walked off to pay for my Octopus Pie book.

Anyone else going to BrickCon this weekend? It'll be kinda a long day for me, but my goal is to get in on the after-hours trip to the Lego Store on Friday.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

Also, this thing is drat cool- a giant sea plane in the old technic style. Looks like it has working everything.

Yeah, I saw the builder demonstrating with it earlier. Flaps extend and extract, props spin, ailerons and stabilizers connected to the control sticks in the cockpits...I got some pictures of the control lines, but I don't know how they turned out on my phone yet.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

King Faraday posted:

Was that Diagon Alley set the only official thing to be announced at BrickCon?
Namely, was the next Modular model mentioned?

Yup, it was only official announcement. Nothing on a new modular building, and the leak from last week didn't show one either.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ok, so I've actually got a design and a plan for a SHIP, and an estimated number of parts for the bulk of the MOC (approximately 6800 1x2 bricks and 1x1 round bricks). Only one Bricklink store has all of them (and that store is the only one with that many 1x1 rounds in red). It'd cost me about $200 from this store, which isn't bad for that many parts, but I'm curious.
Has anyone ordered one of the boxes that Lego Stores use for their pick-a-brick wall? Not the $150 pack-your-own, but the actual boxes of single types they get? I'm curious as to their cost and their approximate piece count. Amusingly, LDD would charge me about $2900 for the needed quantity. Lego Education has packs of 50 red 1x2 bricks, but they're still $10 each and it'd cost me $670 for 'em.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'd whip something up in LDD, but it doesn't want to do a curved wall like this very easily. Basically, I'm planning on using this technique to make several minifig-scale tanker cars.
Real, they're approximately 40' long and 10' in diameter; I've roughed out minifig scale to be about 24 bricks long and slightly more than 12 studs in diameter. The circumference is 36 studs--12 1x2s and 12 1x1 rounds. The horrible irrationality of the world means that at this scale, I can't really cross-brace the structure, but the test piece I've built at 9 bricks high seems pretty sturdy.

It's a relatively brick-intensive technique, but I don't see any other way to make a cylinder in this scale.

^^^^^^^
Nice to know; turns out I only need about 2100 1x2s and 2100 1x1 rounds (I only need 40' cars, not 60'), which gives me another store in the US I can buy from. But if two $75 boxes from TLG will get me what I need, I'll come out cheaper than BL. I'll have to give 'em a call when I'm ready to start building. I have seen 1x1 rounds in yellow at PAB--they were shelf-warming for months.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 8, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The boiler on this engine was made by creating internal rings of these guys:

I just built out from there to the desired width. The wider you want to go, the more links you need. Mind you, your way is much easier, but it's fun to figure out other ways to do things.

What piece is that? Never seen anything like it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

I love these!

I should really buy more.

Also Pyroclastic, 10 inches in diameter? At that size, wouldn't 1x3s and 1x1 rounds be stronger? Like this:

No, the real size of the tanker car I'm scaling is 10 feet in diameter. I'm scaling it down to minifig scale, which comes down to about 12 studs in diameter (about 2 minifig heights).
I tried the more-stable 1x3 method, but the arc there would've made it way out of scale for minifigs.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I built a mock-up of the frame of my SHIP (well, one seventh of it; I have plenty more 1x2s, but I'm nearly out of 1x1 rounds). It's sturdy, looks reasonably good for being a Rainbow Warrior, and I can see plenty of possibilities for adding exterior and interior detail, as well as connections to the rest of the SHIP. My plan had been to make a fully-detailed interior (possibly using transparent bricks or figuring out how to do stable cutaways).

Of course, I scaled the ship based on minifig height, but didn't quite consider that a minifig, to our scale, is a good bit wider, and even with good SNOT techniques, minifig-scale furniture is pretty bulky. I was re-reading parts of the novel I'm copying the ship from, and there's just no way I'm cramming all that inside--a 10 stud diameter floor just isn't enough for a galley/kitchen and a dining area for 5. I've been playing with LDD, but I think I'm actually going to have to go hands-on experimental to see how I can scale this to be novel-accurate.

Also, the brick+round technique doesn't seem to lend itself to lettering-by-color.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

What if you use 1x2 plates and 1x1 round studs in place of some of the bricks?

The main problem with lettering is the way the offset works--you can't go more than two levels until you have a 1x2 completely offset from another 1x2. I can probably do lettering by changing some 1x2s into 1x1s or stacks of 1x1 plates, but then the structural integrity could be compromised, especially if I have to do it over a wide expanse.
It was just something I was thinking about to spruce up a largely boring exterior. In the book, it's covered with brightly colored murals, but I know that's not going to work out.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Veeb0rg posted:

so is lego universe worth it or should I just take it back?

I've been in beta for a while, but haven't played it since they went to full-time servers.
My biggest issue with it was that it wasn't very...Lego. Most of the game is typical MMO questing--go here, fight these, gather these, deliver this. It brings some stuff from the other Lego games like quick-builds and hidden objects to find (gold bricks, hidden flags). There are instanced building areas that apparently cost rent, but you have to either purchase pieces from vendors (each one in a different world sells different pieces), or get them from drops (not really feasible considering how many different brick types there are). It's cheap to buy them and they're all the same price, but still kinda annoying (especially when money wasn't really flowing in and higher-level equipment costs a lot).
At BrickCon, though, I caught the tail end of a little impromptu presentation that wasn't on the schedule about some stuff I've apparently missed in the last few weeks--AFOLs are being asked to provide content and are getting new and better tools for building their own entire worlds.

It's pretty safe for kids. Chat is a highly restrictive whitelist--if the word isn't on the list, it doesn't get said. This does make normal communication difficult, though, since you can't say many words the game itself says, like numbers. Every name you choose and every model you build is moderated, so you won't see the Cock Castle created Fuckhead McCuntington who has a pet named Gayasaurus Fag.

It's supposed to be cheaper than other MMOs, so if you can give up three lattes a month, you'd probably cover it.

I'll fire it up again this week and see how much has changed.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Joudas posted:

That's really disapointing. It sounds like any other MMO where you just use the gear that's best and gently caress creativity or customization, which is insane for a lego game.

Yeah, it's crazy that basically the only MMOs where you power-up without affecting your look are the two superhero MMOs. This should've been the LU default--the choice should have never even come up during design meetings.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

There have been other Lego Gundams, but I think this is, by far, the best I've ever seen:

It's got articulation like one of Bandai's MG kits, it's minifig-scaled, it's pretty well-proportioned, and he even crammed a transforming Core Fighter in it.
Perhaps the only issue is it doesn't seem like it's self-supporting--there seems to be a stand holding it in most poses.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

donut posted:

Those shields are so pricy because they break so easily. I'm too young for classic space, but I inherited a ton of it from my (much) older brother, and just about all of those things were broken.

I think I had one from an early Castle set, and its handle is snapped off, too.

The TrRed and Clear shields are even more expensive ($7 for clear ones!) than old dark gray because they were even more uncommon. TrRed in 4 space sets released in one year only, and Clear from a handful of sets released in the 70s.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

Where abouts in Target? I didn't think they would put them on the shelves with the other lego because of the possibility of theft, but there weren't any at the checkout either...

They've had them in the non-candy Halloween treats shelves, along with a Racers and an Atlantis polybagged mini-sets.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Some of my gray pieces are 25-30 years old and in need of a soak in mild bleach. EDIT: This is why some sellers on Bricklink feel the need to advertise that their stuff comes from non smoking households.

Don't use bleach. That has the potential to outright destroy bricks, or at least ruin their color altogether. What you want is to do this: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Essentially a water/hydrogen peroxide solution and UV light.

Also, while smoking households can yellow bricks more, the main causes of yellowed bricks (and plastics in general) are sunlight/UV and simple age. I've seen old computers that have squares of unyellowed plastic or paint where the monitor was sitting, and I've also seen SNESes where the plastic has yellowed inside and out, regardless of sun. Advertising as coming from a non-smoking household is really just saying "These won't smell horrible when you open the bin".

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

So I've been planning on going up to the Bellevue Lego Store today since it's a training day for teachers and classified staff don't have to be there.
Yesterday someone posted an ad on craigslist for a bunch of 90s-era Space sets, among others, for $650 for the lot or priced individually. Sets are largely complete, many have instructions, and are priced reasonably from legopriceguide.com, which is pretty accurate (Exploriens Starship for $48, MCM for $51, etc). And he's on the way to Bellevue. I get there, and start picking through until the guy tells me everything in this bin is all the space stuff. I ask him how much, and he checks his computer and says $500. I tell him I have $342 in cash on me, and he sells me the whole bin. I originally offered $300, since I wanted to keep the extra $42 for the Lego store and lunch, but he went to $350 I figured it was worth it.

My haul:
6982 Explorien Starship ($50 on BL)
6896 Celestial Forager ($10)
6989 Mega Core Magnetizer (my second) ($80)
6897 Rebel Hunter ($17)
6981 Aerial Intruder ($40)
6889 Recon Robot ($7)
6939 Saucer Centurion ($20)
1822 Sea Claw 7 ($10)
6984 Galactic Mediator (my second) ($50)
6878 Sub-Orbital Guardian ($8)
6983 Ice Station Odyssey (my second) ($55)
1793 Space Station Zenon ($80)
1789 Star Hawk II ($47)
6887 Allied Avenger ($15)
6988 Alpha Centauri Outpost ($100)
6814 Ice Tunnelator ($1.50)
6957 Solar Snooper (my second) ($30)
6956 Stellar Recon Voyager (my second) ($40)
6933 Spectral Starguider ($18)
6923 Particle Ionizer ($25)
6834 Celestial Sled ($3)
6959 Lunar Launch Site ($30)
6938 Scorpion Detector ($14)
6832 Super Nova II ($5)
6833 Beacon Tracer ($3)
6877 Vector Detector ($5)
6879 Blizzard Baron ($5)
6813 Galactic Chief ($2)
6949 Robo Guardian ($25)
6852 Sonar Security ($5)
1787 Crater Cruiser ($20)
1785 Crater Critters (but it looks like only the blue robot is there) ($10 complete, so...$5)
6812 Grid Trekkor ($3)
6835 Saucer Scout ($3)

It appears I got approximately $832 worth of 15-year-old sets (going by the cheapest available complete set on Bricklink, so it doesn't include shipping) for less than half their going rate.
Go me!
Now I just have to assemble them all and see what's missing so I can add to my BL Wanted List. I'll take pics when I have everything assembled.

Also, got PaB parts at the Lego Store to experiment with my semi-SHIP MOC--a whole bunch of click hinge bricks and red tiles to see if I can make a better-looking exterior while simultaneously enlarging the interior.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I've assembled a few so far. More missing pieces from a couple of the smaller sets than I was hoping so, but maybe they'll turn up in some of the other bags. The entire back half of the Blizzard Baron wasn't in the ziploc.

I assembled the Explorien Starship, which was only missing a few small pieces that I already had spares of. But, goddamn, that ship is bizarrely constructed. It's the weirdest drat ship I've ever built.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

^^^^^
I think you mean the best remake of any set, ever

I'm a little disappointed that older pieces didn't make it in to the LDD update, even though they exist in Lego Universe, like the flat hinges.

I've only got a few more sets to put together from my craigslist haul, and assembly is a bit frustrating. The pieces missing from the sets aren't very consistent--minifig accessories, computer tiles, 1x1 cones, 2x2 dishes, whip antennas, common structural elements. Already have 6 pages of notebook paper worth of parts I'm missing.
Most of the sets are already partially assembled, but sometimes they're assembled wrong from the instructions or using incorrect colors. Found nearly a dozen minifig control sticks put pretty much wherever the previous owner thought was good.

Also have 3 sets of instructions from even older, 80s-era sets, but they're not actually in the box. :(

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I said I'd take pictures when I got all my craigslist sets assembled, so, here they be (camera phone, and on my own hosting). They're as assembled as I could be bothered to get them. Pieces missing from one set were occasionally found in another set's ziploc, and some altogether missing structural pieces came from my existing collection. If you're familiar with the sets and sharp-eyed, you can see some of the missing bits.

The sets. I barely fit them onto the table.

The Blacktron 2 and Spyrius bases.

My second Ice Station Odyssey. My first was the last Lego set I remember getting before my Dark Ages.

Unitron's base

The lone Aquanauts set

My second Mega Core Magnetizer.

A couple more M:Tron sets and a Blacktron 2 ship.

Another M:Tron ship, a Unitron vehicle, and a few small sets including a badly washed-out Ice Planet rover.

Spyrius UFO, some other small ships from the other lines.

Blacktron 2 ships, washed-out Unitron ship

The two Spyrius robots

My second Galactic Mediator and Solar Snooper, and a couple other SP2 sets

The pair of Exploriens sets in the lot

There were 5 Blacktron 2 landing pad baseplates in the lot; I guess he bought them separately.

All the included minifigs. 50 of them. I'm pretty sure some are missing, but I haven't counted yet. Only one miscolored and two missing visors. Definitely short on the accessories, though.

I haven't gotten around to plugging all the missing parts into Bricklink yet. The parts themselves shouldn't cost too much (few rare pieces), but if I can't source them all from just a handful of sellers, shipping is gonna hurt.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ok, here's something strange:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bab/2064743205.html

This guy claims to have S3 figures. I e-mailed him, and he said he got them from his local Fred Meyer (or Feed Meter, as his blackberry's autocorrection decided on).
These things aren't due out until January, and it generally takes a good month after they're seen in Europe before they start showing up in the Pacific Northwest.

I went to the nearest two Fred Meyers today, but didn't see them or any spot for them, in Toys, Collectibles, or Seasonal (where they had the S1 figures during Back to School).

The pics aren't great, but they look legit, so keep your eyes open!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh here's some confirmation on that Series 3 in the Seattle Fred Meyer thing, from some guy on a site called Toys N Bricks:

That rear end in a top hat. 12 boxes, 720 figs, $1440 sitting on that conveyor belt. And I bet they show up on Ebay/Craigslist/Bricklink for $5 apiece.

Edit--
Ok, turns out the guy isn't a scalper, he's a minifig whore. He gave a talk at Brickcon about the collector figs, and he pretty much can't help himself. He bought them all for himself (with some trickle-down for his kids). And they (the guy in the picture isn't the whore) bought 660 figs, with the pictured guy taking 4 boxes and the whore the rest.
Still. Leave some for the rest of us!

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I was approximately 1/12th rear end in a top hat today. I called the Puyallup Fred Meyer after coming up empty at mine, and they said they had some on the shelves, so I went down.
There was one box left, with 47 figs in it. I considered, then got them all.

What I came up with:
2 Indian Chiefs
3 Snowbunnies
3 LEGOlas
4 Mummies
3 Tennis Players
3 Samurai
4 Pilots
3 Racers
2 Gorton's Fishermen
3 Blacktron Cyborgs
5 Gorillas
5 Sumo
3 Aliens
3 Steroid Abusers
3 Wiggers
1 Hula Girl

Do we still have a minifig trading thing going on? I'd like to get at least two complete sets, maybe three.

None of the figs came with any extras, like S2 did. Only one trophy for the Sumo, only one sword for the Samurai, only one spear, one visor for each helmet, one tennis racket, etc.
Also, some cool stuff: there's printing on the snowboard, Legolas' ears are molded into his hair, the gorilla has a zipper on the back and the minifig head is sweating, and the ballcaps for the baseball player and wigger have stitch lines on both the cap and bill.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 19, 2010