Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Using BrickArms stuff is just as bad as using MegaBloks. :colbert:

For some projects, you just need to get some custom gear. This is a ghostbuster MOC I built last year, and the guys all have brickforge proton packs, particle guns, and gun belts and Ray has brickforge goggles.

You can't get this kind of completeness from standard LEGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Sham I Am posted:

I am curious as to how much you guys tend to spend on this hobby a year?

I tend to spend about $2,000 a year on LEGO, but that number is a bit misleading...because I tend to make about that much or more selling LEGO each year as well.

The recent upswing in people's LEGO interest has left the market rife with money-making potential :)

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

That Awful Nick posted:

It's more like "buy two copies of set, build one, wait for the set to go out of production or stop being available at retail outlets, then sell the second set at a markup that covers at least the cost of both."

Yeah, this is usually how it goes for me. Any set from a licensed theme tends to get retarded expensive the day it stops being produced...you'd think by now people would just buy what they want at retail instead of paying the premium the week after it leaves stores, but I don't mind...it funds the habit nicely.

I also take advantage of sales and do my best to manipulate companies that price their sets differently. Case in point, when Toys R Us does a buy-one get-one 50% sale, I've been known to grab two $100+ sets, keep one and exchange the second one at the LEGO store for full price in store credit. I still spend $150+ on LEGO, but I end up with $200+ worth of actual bricks/sets. It's the best perk of living in a town with a LEGO store...no-receipt, no questions exchange policy ;)

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Finally got a decent amount of organization and display going in my office...figured I'd share my collection with you guys.

Modular Houses

Mostly fantasy era castle with a few classic sets hidden in the mix.

Pirates II

The rest of my built sets...I'm slowly reassembling the sets from my childhood and filling in the bottom shelves.

Finally got everything sorted into roughly 200 bins...by far the best thing I've done with regard to easing the reassembly process. Took about a week.

Brickset has the collection at a little over $6000 retail, 68,000 bricks, and 516 minifigs :)

I've got close-ups of the sets on the shelves if anybody's interested in seeing what's in there.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

These drawers are good and bad. Good because they're decent sized, there's lots of them, and the whole thing is cheap at like 15 bucks. Bad because the drawers have tabs to keep them from falling out, and if you overfill a drawer, good luck getting that fucker open again as poo poo will jam behind the tab.

Believe me...it didn't take long to figure that out, but I had already bought 5 of the units when they were on sale at Home Depot. Luckily, these are all open-backed, so you can manipulate the stuck bricks that way when they're being stubborn.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Guys, guys.... http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8080&cn=616&d=70
transforming sub mech, come onnnn

As cool as this set is, I was still a little disappointed once I got it built. The transformation is a little weak as everything just kinda jumbles up behind the body, and it desperately needs knee articulation.

Mascot fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 19, 2010

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Got inspired by the hardsuits and mechs on the last few pages of the old thread and figured I'd give it a try. It's my first attempt at anything like this, and I know I've got all kinds of different greys in there, but let me know what you think.

Fullsize

Fullsize

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Catsworth posted:

Those are pretty awesome. What are the trapezoid/cockpit shaped pieces on the top of the feet from?

It's been in a few sets as a windscreen/rollcage. Here's the bricklink info on it:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47758

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

Goddamn Bricklink owns but it's so dangerous. I've got $350 worth of sets and parts in the mail now and I still need more pieces for my current project.

You're not kidding. I've been dropping around $20 a day on cracklink since last Wednesday...and all on random parts. It's been like Christmas checking the mail after work each day this week tho :)

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Factory posted:

oh poo poo....

God drat it guys.

I found a AT-AT on bricklink for 130$

I really am tempted.

Phyresis beat me to what I was gonna say, but...depending on which AT-AT you were talking about...Toys R Us has the new one in stores now for $110.

I think the old, motorized one is a better value...the only thing the new one has going for it is sheer number of minifigs.

fake edit: speaking of stuff TRU has in stock now...I had to try really hard not to pick up the new Slave 1 this morning :/

real edit: man I need to refresh this page more often...you should grab that old one tho :)

Mascot fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 20, 2010

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

SpecialF posted:

Just scanned those new minifig barcodes and came up with the numerical list for anyone with a barcode scanner on their phone/at work:
673419146791 - pharoah
673419146807 - vampire
.......46814 - spartaaaaa!!
.......46821 - disco stu
.......46838 - singer
.......46845 - ringmaster
.......46852 - baywatch
.......46869 - safari
.......46876 - athlete
.......46883 - surfer
.......46890 - witch
.......47064 - mime
.......47071 - cop
.......47088 - mexican
.......47095 - skiier
.......47101 - weightlifter
in numerical order cos I'm anal like that.

Anybody managed to find these in the US yet? Brickset said they were out, but I've been striking out all over the place so far.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Made a trip to the imagination center in Downtown Disney and came home with the new Slave 1. It's amazing...so much more detail and way better designed than the previous versions. It's one of the first sets to use flick-fire missiles in a manner that doesn't bother me.

Only bad thing was that yesterday was the last day for the classic spaceman magnet promotion...not that it would have mattered...the manager said they'd been out of them for about two weeks.

So yeah...if you're on the fence about this set, go buy it. Totally worth it.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Here's a look at the completed mural from Star Wars Celebration V.

Totally worth taking the 5 minutes to assemble an 8x8 plate for the mural in exchange for a white Boba Fett :)

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Just noticed that the thread title is using the inappropriate plural for LEGO...wasn't it correct awhile ago?

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Orlando Imagination Center had lots of brick grab bags today. $8 each..not too bad.

I picked up a couple and got a pretty decent piece distribution...shitloads of trans-clear and trans-dk green 1x2 bricks for some reason though.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

HEY GUYS: Did you miss the Series 1 figs? Want 'em without paying silly scalper prices or whatever they're going for? Proposition:

I'd be happy to trade my full set of Series 1 figs (all spare parts, bases, etc included) for your full set of #2 if anyone's up for it. US preferred so we both save money shipping. I'm in FL, 34761

This was such a good idea, I figured I'd offer my spare Series 1 set for the same deal...if multiple people show interest of course.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Made a run to the Orlando Imagination Center today and came home with 15 of the 16 figs from Series 2 (missing the witch) and the Motorized Walking AT-AT.

Spent a solid 4 hours putting it together this afternoon, and I'm really impressed.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's torn between the motorized version and the new one. The additional $20 you pay is totally worth it for the 300+ additional pieces and the power functions parts.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
totally awesome...

http://www.break.com/index/functioning-automatic-transmission-made-of-legos

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

ace22b posted:

Not sure how long this will last but supposedly someone is selling Batman Tumbler for $50 on amazon.

To everyone who "jumped right on this":

...be prepared for a fun time with Amazon's customer service. I just got off the phone with the web manager for Grow Smart Toys (website http://www.growsmarttoys.com/) who was kind enough to let me know what's going on. Amazon has apparently uploaded their product stock information from two or more years ago...when they first attempted to create a seller account. The items it lists are not in stock, and all orders for them will be cancelled.

Moral of the story...if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Mascot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 12, 2010

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
another image of series 4 from brickset:

Universal Studios classic monster MOCs much?

oh, and for those of you who don't check brickset(you should if you're any kind of AFOL), here's a link to the best LEGO Coupon of the year: BOGO 50% off any set at TRU.

Mascot fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 7, 2010

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Guys built a functioning Antikythera Mechanism out of technic...baller.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/12/09/how-the-antikythera.html

...just came across this awesome ad too:

Mascot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 10, 2010

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
I figured this warranted its own post:

Walmart has Toy Story Construct-a-Zurg for $10 with 97 cent shipping.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Welp, my local TRU happened to have series 3 when I stopped in there during lunch. Tried to assemble a whole set using the bump patterns, but I missed a couple. At any rate, now I have a have/need trade list for you all :)

NEED:

Pilot
Mummy
Rapper

HAVE TO TRADE:

Fisherman x2
Samurai x3
Snowboarder x2
Sumo Wrestler x2
Tennis Player
Gorilla Man

Any takers?

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Crazy Pigeon posted:

In case you didn't know there actually is a Lego Store literally right next to Disneyland. Its on that road(my memory is failing me on what they call it) with all the stores next to Disneyland. I believe its right next to the movie theater there, near the end. Though its not as big as the one down by Legoland it still has PAB and, it'll save you a long drive and entrance fees. I also don't remember Legoland costing so much, maybe its just to non-californian residents. I remember a cousin went there for around 20 dollars each, but that might have been some special coupon.

edit: Forgot to add that, though the Lego Store near Disneyland has a PAB section, its only a small corner compared to Legoland's huge selection. But the store is still worth visiting if you have spare time before/during/after your visit at Disneyland!

edit 2: Remembered its called Downtown Disney, just had a flashback of buying a set there a couple years back.

Downtown Disney is in Florida with Disney WORLD...they're talking about DisneyLAND, which is in California.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
In case anyone who regularly hits up the Orlando LEGO store hasn't realized this yet...the store is undergoing some renovations and will be closed for a few weeks. They've put up a temporary tent-style store around the corner in the Disney Marketplace next to the "Once Upon a Toy" store.

Despite being a tent...they were surprisingly well-stocked on the newest goodies, like the Maersk Ship, Diagon Alley and both new $50 minifig sets.

They've also got a decent sale section going right now:

Undersea Explorer for $12
Shadow Snapper for $9
Tie Defender for $25
Clone Walker Battle Pack for $4
Winter Village Bakery for $30

...and plenty of other odds and ends like magnet sets, keychains, shirts, bags, etc.

I couldn't resist and grabbed two more undersea explorers...$12 for 364 pieces is awesome.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Pzykotic posted:

I really want this thing because it's loving AWESOME:

http://shop.lego.com/ByAge/Product.aspx?p=10155&cn=100007&d=100001

However, $119 makes me sad. Does the "Exclusive" tag on that mean it's only available online from the Lego shop, or could I get lucky and find it on sale at a Toys R Us or something?

"Exclusive" does mean that it's only available directly from LEGO...either from shop.lego.com or at a physical LEGO store.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Does anybody here own that giant medievel chess set? I saw it yesterday and it blew my mind.

I came awfully close to buying it back in early 2008 when it was at the Orlando LEGO store for $200...really kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. It's the only set of fantasy castle I don't own :(

It's pretty awesome...don't know if it's as awesome as the $500-$700 pricetag it has on ebay though.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

InfinEight posted:

...it looks like the Alien Conquest theme will be using the old transparent orange, which is interesting.

At least the series is paying some homage to older space themes...I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see the first official set photos come out without the trans yellow windscreens that were shown on the original leaks :(

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Goofing around this morning, I ended up with a Legend of Zelda vignette I'm pretty pleased with.

Now I really want to build a Link in scale with these...he'd be about 14" tall :)

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

InfinEight posted:

That is really cool, I especially like the handcuffs as part of the decoration.

Thanks, I was really surprised by how easily the designs on the Hylian Shield translated to LEGO...the thing took literally about 20 minutes start-to-finish after I spent two hours trying to figure out the Master Sword.

I just put together a big bricklink order of blue tiles and slopes and stuff to try to clean up the shield. I'll repost it if it comes out any better.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I went to the Lego Store today, and they have Alien Conquest, the rest of the new Atlantis sets, the City space theme, the new City marina sets, the Creator lighthouse and the new Kingdoms sets in. They also received the new Cafe Corner Pet Shop.

Downtown Disney? I was there Sunday and they didn't have anything new. Did you happen to see if they had the Supercar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

CADPAT posted:

So I found a chromed 2x4 gold brick in a collection I picked up. The only thing I can find is keychains off of bricklink, but it doesn't appear to have been broken off of one.

It's definitely a lego brick so I'm not sure what to think.

Back in 2005, LEGO was giving away 5 gold bricks with a $50 purchase as part of their 50th anniversary celebration. The promotion was only available at official LEGO brand stores, but the bricks have circulated pretty well since then.

You can pick them up for about 40 cents each on bricklink nowadays.