Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Another Arctic theme, hell yeah. And they're mining meteorites for crystals this time around too. :3: I'm gonna mod those sets into more realistic 'generic science' stuff, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Meteorites? I thought it was ice. Anyway, the vehicles look bretty good.

Brickpedia posted:

The background story behind the theme involved meteors that were falling to Earth in locations around the Arctic. The explorers tracked down the impact sites to collect these meteors, which were transparent hollow rock pieces that contained exotic alien creatures, such as transparent orange scorpions.

This time around the transparant rock pieces could very well be ice, though, considering the lack of aliens.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

And I've pretty much discovered that none of the cinemas within decent driving distance where I live will actually show the Lego movie non dubbed because it's being classified as a kids movie. :sigh: gently caress everything.

You're a swede, right? Someone asked about this on Facebook and a SF rep said they hoped to show the movie with the original cast in all their theatres. So there's still a chance if you wait a little longer. Otherwise, I'm probably just gonna wait for it to get on Netflix anyway.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I have made something again. In space, there is naturally not only warfare and research being made. People also want to go on holiday. For that they need...

The Orion class Camper

Now includes the Space Jet Canoe. Space Toilet not included

We're so alike! Yet totally different, you know?

Visist exotic camping facilities

Meet new people and cultures

If there were ever people camping in the far reaches of space, you can bet they'd be Germans

More here.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

xzzy posted:

That bumper sticker owns.

Thanks, it was the first thing I thought of once I had decided on what to build!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It's a shame that Artic Exploration mobile base has a truck with normal wheels, rather than treads. Still gonna get it probably, or maybe just that smaller set with treads.

I also went to see the Lego Movie this weekend, great film. So many fun little things and references, needs another viewing. A bit ironic though, how the whole start of the film is a satire on fitting in through consumerism while the movies itself is one big product placement.

This may not be the right place to ask, but has anyone tried the videogame based on the movie? I seems that game, unlike the other Lego games, only allow minifigs to articulate 'realistically'.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

tactical_grace posted:

Love the new Arctic theme so much, especially the icebreaker and the cargo plane. Something about that shade of orange. Shame about that drat one-piece cockpit on the plane and skycrane, but I think it's the least-poo poo one-piece cockpit they've had in a while.

Yeah, I love me some treads. I'm definitely gonna get 60033 but that cargo plane is slick too. And the ice breaker has new (?) curved window piece.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

I know you guys are really excited about the new sets but I wanted to share a project I tackled over the last few weeks. The Salt Lake County Library got in touch with ULUG a few months ago to see if they could do a display for the Library to celebrate 75 years of library services. Since the library wanted a long-term display, it was decided that they would order some Lego rather than anyone in the club using their own collection, and I got in touch with them in May to get the Lego ordered. The total order was 13,000 pieces, and I manged to use 11,000-12,000 pieces for the final sculpture. I started building on May 29th and finished on June 5th, taking up 20-30 hours of free time. It's currently on display at the Viridian Event Center in West Jordan, and will probably be traveling to other Salt Lake County Libraries until the end of the year.

Wow. Love the folding of the 'paper'.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I wonder if they really have cut back on quality, and if so for all sets or only for the smaller ones? Or if the sheer amount of bricks being produced for more customers mean there will be more faulty ones being reported.

It seems strange to cut costs when things are going so well. But I guess you can always try to make even more money.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So what can you build with wheels, wheel-axles and tyres? Lego produce so many cars and trucks, my collection is overflowing with these elements. Yet all I want to build is spaceships and things with treads, I feel like they aren't getting enough love.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Magic posted:

I just made a neat little space cabin combining the recent Creator Mountain hut and the Republic Cruiser. The engine wheels from the Cruiser got re-commissioned as parts for a pair of communication towers/power sources for the laser fence around the cabin.

Things that can rotate communicate power and/or telecoms to me. Dunno why.

Edit:

I can't tell if you know this already but wheels are terrific for spaceship engines, and the little axle mount pieces often work well at the front point of ships. If you put a wheel on the axle, you've got a nice center point for the ship and a cool forward gun/cannon.

To you and others who recommended it: Yeah, I've used wheels for engines before. Small towers and huge pipes are not a bad idea either, though. I'll see if I can incorporate that in to my next build!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Wheel axles are really handy for joints for smaller robots and stuff. They plug into the 1x1 bricks with the open hole studs on the sides really nicely and usually tightly, and with a little finagling can yield really nice articulation.

An example robot I made using a few of the same set:

Be creative. Think outside the blocks. :)

I remember seeing that mech, that's not a bad idea! I think it could make a nice hatch/extendable doohickey built in to the side of something...

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

So rumor is that we're going to see the return of Divers theme this summer. Which I hope to hell is true, I'd love to have a whole underwater theme.

Wow, really? That's one of my favourite themes that I never got as a kid. Aquanauts and it's iterations are cool and all but I prefer the more realistic approach of Divers.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

xzzy posted:

Gallery of new sets being shown in Nuremberg:

http://imgur.com/a/2LRtm

The flatiron building and the louvre look goddamn amazing.

It's also cool that the super agent line is keeping those comical satellite dish wheels.

They're a bit difficult to make out but the new divers sets are looking good. Though that twin-engine helicopter is like a replica of the recent police helicopter.

That Creator Jet :stare:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I browsed Eurobricks on a whim, and someone had just posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvPaiDO4cxg

A video from, presumably, the same fair that photos were posted from before.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Electrophotonic posted:

It actually took me a while before I saw the gorilla face in the ape mech as the eyes aren't very apparent. Once you see the nose in the hood intakes though...

Holy poo poo, I never noticed.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dogen posted:

Does anyone nerdier than me know if the TIE and Red 5 are in scale with each other? I feel kind of like the TIE seems bigger in comparison.

I'm visiting Berlin and saw them both at the Lego store here, they looked the same scale to me though I didn't see them next to each other.

Also the PAB wall here has computer pieces in it!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

xzzy posted:

I have a plastic box full of stickers because I don't put them on my sets anymore.

Same, though I do use them for MOCs sometimes. You just gotta accept you're mostly going to be able to use them once only.

F40 looks drat good, may have to get that.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It's vacation time and I managed to put something together again! The Killer Whale:

I was originally thinking of doing some sort of similar-looking maintenance vehicle because I wanted to do a land vehicle and use treads. But then I saw the new Mad Max and I thought "What would the apocalypse be like in The Carribean or some island in The Pacific?" So instead I made this armoured and armed scavenger vehicle with a vaguely ship-/submarine-/whale-like appearance (I just realized now maybe it's even amphibious, I dunno?). I'm not happy with all the details and I got some modifications I need to do but I like the overall shape. I also want to make some kind of abandoned jungle outpost for them to scavenge.

It has got:

A big-rear end sound system

A big-rear end engine

A cargo hold

A crew. In the middle is One-eyed Charlie, the mechanically gifted sniper, and Captain Landlubber. Flanking them is a Berserker Bitch and a Pyromaniac (Putting these together was the most fun part of the build).

http://imgur.com/a/XMEln

Edit: Also that looked really good, NESguerilla. Interesting angle on the wings.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 6, 2015

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

AllisonByProxy posted:

Finally picked up The Mystery Machine and couldn't resist making a few subtle changes.

Ha, that's great!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

FadingChord posted:

It's coming :getin:

Nice. Of course the clock works.

I like that tree in the park next to it as well.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oh, I thought I saw them moving independently in the video but I must have been mistaken. I does seem kinda far fetched, I don't think there are any bricks that small which would allow it.

Still looks really good, plus I got to learn the actual name of the clock tower.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So that's where all those old Arctic walls-with-windows ended up...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/snowleopard/26817148564/in/photostream/

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

If they're gonna do sitcoms, they should do drama movies. I wanna see Michael Haneke's La Pianiste. At least people do other things in that movie instead of just standing around talking.

Or documentaries. A 15 000 pcs montage of Shoah by Claude Lanzmann that takes nearly as long to build as the movie.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dan(c)es with Bricks

The river boat from Fitzcarraldo including Klaus Kinski minifig and 20 native tribespeople.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Heh, I was on the fence about buying the Creator Porsche 911 and the Mustang. The Firas MOC instructions for the alternative Countach is what tipped me over to the 911.

Actually, I don't know how much the cost of designing a model is but it would be really cool if the Creator Expert sets were 2 in 1. I don't feel like the Turbo/Targa versions really count.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder what the process is for that. I assume that they have someone build the main model, finalize the part list and instructions and then give the pieces to someone else and have them build something new. But there is also the licensed set aspect. They get the Porsche branding or the Ford branding for the main set, what do they do for a potential second build? They can't exactly license another brand for the inferior set, and the main brand might not be happy that their set is also some other generic thing.

I've always imagined the same designer makes the alternative builds, easier to build something new when you're already familiar with the parts. Good point about licensing, I didn't think of that. That really limits what you can do, which I guess is the big downside of building brands. At least some companies have a big enough range of real world stuff. Like the alternative for the Mustang could be a dragster car, the alternative for a Volvo 240 (one day...) could be a truck and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Finished the Creator 911 Turbo, fun build. To take things to another level, I built most of it together with my partner, taking turns reading from the instructions while the other one put the pieces together. It's really hard to describe without showing what different parts look like, let alone how they are supposed to be put together!

Like a lot of Creator stuff, it's really cool to see how different "modules" come together in intricate ways for the finished build. It was also bigger than I expected.