Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Any idea when we hear about 2020 Harry Potter stuff?

My daughter's just old enough to enjoy LEGO and it's getting me back into it as well. Building Hagrid's Hut and the Deep Sea Creatures blew my mind given I haven't done much with LEGO for 25 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

There's a Mando battlepack out soon that has his new armour.

And here it is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Just bought my first modular, I guess my dark age is over.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

My daughter has been waking me up each morning to do the next box of the Harry Potter calendar. It's been a huge hit so far.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

edit: Ignore

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

New modular being announced at Singapore Comicon this weekend.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Oh that's pretty. Looks much better than the last two.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

360 degree view.

Splits into 2x16-wide buildings.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

I saw the Harry Potter advent calendar set reduced to half price and picked it up for me and my girlfriend to play with and it's a really cute little thematically appropriate Christmassy scene we're building. Already we have the 3 main kids, McGonagall and a couple of tables heaving with food along with some Christmas Trees, house banners and a mini Hogwarts Express. Definitely great value at 12 euros. Not super into Harry Potter enough to get the general sets but this is a nice little display scene if you can find them discounted.

Yeah it's going to form a nice little playset / display when it's finished. Helps that Christmas is a regular part of the Harry Potter series. Banners were a bit disappointing but it's been good otherwise, and just based on the box there are some neat things to coming.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I just noticed there's no gift-with-purchases on the lego site right now? (Or at least I shoved a 100$+ set into my cart to check) I assumed there was always one going, when do they typically pop up?
Build Your Own Birds (:byob:) seems to be it here in Australia.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

When I ordered it I bought myself the ship in a bottle because it was discounted and about to go out of print I think, and lol did they really put the Lego designer's initials on the fuckin bottle and not the fan's? Dick move

I grabbed the Ship in a Bottle a few days ago too because it's already difficult to find here in Australia (stuff seems to disappear from here earlier than it does in some other countries).

The fan designer posted:

While I admit I would have been very happy to have my initials on an official lego element, the designer did completely adapt the design for lego. The wax seal was his idea, I thought it was a nice touch.

But yeah, would have been better to have the fan's name I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's been funny seeing what is still in stock in places after Christmas. One large department store had several dozen Corner Garages, and I guess they must be storing them there instead of in a warehouse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The 31105 Toy Store has half a dozen advent calendar style builds and it's adorable. Nice looking building too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

There will be rioting in the tiny plastic streets if those solar panels aren't printed.

Here's a rehost in case of takedown:

Post on Reddit says they'll be printed and gave part names. No idea how credible it is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The last 3 sets I've bought (the Harry Potter calendar, the LEGO store, and the new 3-in-1 Toy Shop) have used it as a set of wheels for a microbuild.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

I voted for the Nebulon B frigate, solely so that I could also vote for diaper Luke.

I then realised diaper Luke is from Hoth. :negative:

Bacta tank Luke?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Looking back at the older technic sets (70s and 80s) they really crammed more onto a page

8860 was 25 pages (not including alternate builds) but you had things like this going on:

Or this from 8865 which gets into "rest of the loving owl" territory.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 2, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Taeke posted:

Wow, that explains a lot. I remember 20something years ago, as a 8/9 year old, not liking technic because it was too hard or too much effort and didn't look as good/smooth as regular sets.They were downright intimidating. Looking at the modern technic sets now I was sure that it was just me being young and not technical at all, but it really was a lot more inaccessible back then.

Admittedly I did pick the biggest sets of the era because I figured they'd be the rough equivalent of things like the Chiron. The smaller stuff tended to be better and by the mid 90a they tended not to be doing things like making an entire gearbox in a double page spread or whatever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Today's haul was the Ferrari speed champions for a present for my bother, the birthday cake for my daughter plus some custom min-figs she made, the brickheads Lucky Cat, and the Olaf keyring which gave me just enough for the Rat.

sigher posted:

What the gently caress.

It's a bit of an extreme example but it's still amazing.

The other thing in those older Technic sets was that often the alternate models didn't have the component list for each step

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 3, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Info on the next wave of Harry Potter sets

Eurobricks posted:

Here's some more info on the builds of the sets:

Room of Requirement: 3 walls that can be folded out to form 1 long wall, 1 of the walls has a fireplace. The set itself can't be connected to Hogwarts so some modification is required

The Forbidden Forest: Grawp is build similairly to Ares from Wonder Woman. The Centaurs are ''minifigure torso's on a new horse body mold''

Escape from Privet Drive: the house has a fireplace, cupboard and Harry's bedroom. Some sources are saying Fred and George are included instead of Ron and Dobby

Hogwarts Astronomy Tower: includes the Astronomy classroom (top of the tower), Ravenclaw common room and Slughorn's office. There may be more figures than we currently know of, this is not confirmed. It's possibly the largest Hogwarts extension to date

Hedwig: Hedwig is 25 cm wide and is built with open wings. There's a Harry Potter figure included, possibly an exclusive

Advent Calendar: comes with a few exclusive figures. Price might be higher than last year

CMF: European price will be 4 euro, the US still has the $5 price

Some other details about minifigs etc elsewhere in the thread.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'd say Kylo Ren's shuttle is the only design that's memorable. It's a good design too.

The bombers from TLJ are a good design weighed down by their only scene being about how bad they are.

Oxyclean posted:

Something that I was thinking about this morning is that it seemed kinda funny the Jedi Starfighter from Episode 2 needed a big fancy hyperdrive ring. I guess hyperdrive tech came a long way in 20-30 years to the original trilogy for junker rebel ships to all have onboard hyper drives?

Thee Jedi Starfighter is the TIE fighter's predecessor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's been in shitloads of buildings in the past 2 years. Lots of modulars, 3-in-1s, Harry Pottter, Friends, Princesses, etc

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Either that ship is dense with parts for its size, or the Star Wars price tax is about to get even worse :yikes:

From the description it's got a a decent amount of interior detail for the size

quote:

cargo hold with opening sides that double as access ramps and carbonite bounty elements inside, a dual LEGO minifigure cockpit, spring-loaded shooters, escape pod

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

djfooboo posted:

What’s the average shelf life of the modular buildings? I will not have the cash for a bit to catch up and hope I don’t have to depend on the secondary market.

Everything except the first two has lasted at least two and a half years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Guess I'm spending 200 AUD on Lego this week.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I just saw what set 42069 was and it didn't disappoint.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The LEGO of Zelda.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

My backlog is a mix of stuff I've got as a treat for myself when I've finished certain projects and stuff for rainy days / quarantine periods / when my daughter is older.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Holy poo poo the pieces of the ship can be removed and turned into an actual boat?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This video shows a bit of the detail of putting the ship together from the island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvVEQq0StcI&t=813s

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

As someone who wanted a Lego pirate ship in the 80s I feel extremely pandered to.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It was neat comparing the instructions from the recent 400370 GWP push along train to those for the original 7810.

Even ignoring the fact the base in the new one needs to be build it's still got twice as many steps over even more pages.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Red posted:

No, there was a picture of just a desert island with some small fort. I'd be happy with just that.

Yeah.

It's not especially flashy but it'd be easy to flesh it out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Someone convince me not to order pirateland the second it becomes available in 2 days, 5 hours, 11 minutes.

Save it for when there are double points or a GWP you want?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The secret to disassembling a set is a preschooler and a lack of supervision.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Disassemble it, then try to reassemble it purely from memory.

Thanks to my aforementioned disassembly method I can basically do this with Hagrid's Hut.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I stopped playing with LEGO / Technic some time in the mid 90s and when I came back last year the three things that amazed me most were that brick separators were A Thing, that the line for girls was actually really cool and that Technic was studless.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

That's why I'll never besmirch things like Friends, the colours are too good

Sets like the 41381 Rescue Boat are really cool. Got it and the Dolphin Rescue set to build with my daughter at some point in the next few months.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I'm not much of a Lego Star Wars guy (I think it's pretty played out at this stage)
I like some of the sets but a lot of them (especially the bigger ones) are a big mass of grey greebling.