Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ChesterJT posted:

Did you just take Business 101 at community college or what? I'll just point out that no they didn't make a movie planning for it's failure and no matter how successful a movie is no one would be clamoring for sets and figures for it two years later. You seemed to really like the movie but are placing way too much importance on it.
To be fair, he said he did *not* think a 2 year plan would be smart. Having no horse in this race (I don't buy legos, I just find this thread fascinating for some reason) I get his point about the Simpsons house. A highly desirable Lego-Budget destroying set released near simultaneously with your movie tie-in line seems silly. Not like, financial ruin silly, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DrChud posted:

There is 16 minis to a set, how I suppose to get them all if I don't buy a bunch

Holy crap, take some deep breathes. It's not like we are sneaking into the kids how and stealing their toys while they sleep.

I can't even count how many small kids I have helped find a certain mini figure they are looking for while looking for mine and my small cousins. Seeing them get excited to finally find the one they are looking for, the same way I would get excited when my parents would take me shopping and finding that one toy I wanted, warms my heart. Hell, even the kids parents are happy that their kid got the one they want also.
I hope you're at least wearing your least cum-stained jorts when interacting with children.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

ltr posted:

This is what I wanted it for too. Sadly, my orders at two different Targets were cancelled because they were out of stock.

My sister's order was cancelled and she plans to go complain until she gets it for the original price. I generally don't support retail crabbiness, but they charged her card before cancelling her order. They refunded it, but still, the transaction was made at the advertised price.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

parque bynch posted:

I've got an extra Milhouse if you want to trade for the Mr Burns.

My TRU had one box but it was down to 7 bags. I didn't notice the non bending legs and thought Milhouse was Grandpa.
You don't have an extra Milhouse. That's Shelbyville Milhouse.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

InfinEight posted:

Sperm banks.
His jorts? How will that help?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Dear Lego, thank you for making a 'women in science' set so I could use it to make a power loader with tits.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Neurion posted:

Then there are the people that ask if we'll ever have My Little Pony sets and I die a little more in the inside.

I can't begin to fathom how cum stained those jorts are.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

My nephew asked me to build his minecraft Lego sets for him. I have built some other sets for him in the past, and it wasn't an unpleasant experience. These things are godawful though. Maybe it's because I don't play Minecraft but I can't even tell what they are supposed to be. It feels as though they let a 4 year throw random bricks together and then printed up instructions on how to replicate it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

uXs posted:

Really? I bought the 'first night' set because I was in a shop and liked how it looked, and it's just fine. Or are you talking about the micro sized sets?

Not sure to be honest, one is called The Nether and the other one I don't know the name of. Clearly the same 'series' as The Nether, but more... Garden-y?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

anotherblownsave posted:

Had all my Legos out today and asked my four year old what he wanted to build. Gonna need to work on his creativity, he responded with; "a shed"

You misheard, he said *the* shedd

https://www.sheddaquarium.org

It's honestly pretty ambitious for a 4 year old.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

That thing looks straight out of Futurama.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I need this for my girlfriend

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is your girlfriend 70 years old?

For all intents and purposes, yes.

In her defense on this one however, Estelle Getty was a national treasure.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Dogen posted:

Yeah the rest of it is pretty boring looking. I feel like stuff should be more different looking 30 years on. "Oh let's slap some black paint on our most iconic ships and call it a day," the New Republic and Imperial Remnant say.
The B52 is 60 years old, the F16 is 40. Both still in service. More tellingly, the raptor looks about as similar to the F16 as the new xwing looks to the original. Things don't change much, especially things that work.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

anotherblownsave posted:

I don't think they have to look anything alike. It's a more if a debate of who had the idea first. Intellectual property, which is a big deal these days apparently
I think Ghostbusters had the idea first.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

I was under the impression that he built the fire house and his friend build the ecto 1. So, also his build.

I could be mistaken about that though. If it's not I'd agree that he has nothing to complain about.
If that's the case, he built it twice. The one pictured with the ecto1 was different looking. And there appears to be yet another one on that site that, surprise, looks similar to the other three in question. This is my least favorite argument I have ever seen on these forums (not directed at you).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

I wasn't saying they're harmful or anything, I just don't see the point.

It does make sense that the Minecraft sets would help attract customers to LEGO. I've never played Minecraft myself, so that's probably why I'm missing something here.

Sure as heck played a lot of SimCity in my day, though.
I griped about them a few months back in here, especially the microscale ones. My only lego use is building with my nephews, and it was always enjoyable enough until they got the minecraft sets. I dislike the aesthetic, and it feels like you're building essentially what a child would come up with. Like, why build a house when you could build something that vaguely resembles one? And because it's a little more 'abstract' and because it uses very few colors or varieties of bricks, the builds were a bit tedious. 40 bricks later, I have something that kind of looks like a tree. Cool.

Most of the people in this thread seemed to dig them though, so to each their own.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

djfooboo posted:

Palmer surfaces make bad tattoo surfaces because their rate of regeneration is super high :science:
Plantar :colbert:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Electromax posted:

If I bought a Lepin thing it would be exclusively to dump straight into the tub of real PURE legos and then pour the whole tub out together onto the bed and roll around in the glorious mixture.
And then sell it as a lot without disclosing the lepin!!!!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

One really wonders why they went with what could only be pronounced as Star Weiners instead of literally anything else.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Guys, everything not targeted specifically towards me is just pandering to some other group.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope it's just a box of large printed dishes.

And Chewbaccas

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

pzy posted:

Here's the thing

It was a nice touch for Lego to put all the writing in aurebesh.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

bloodysabbath posted:

To boost piece count/play features, they should also include a little lego therapist and couch build for all the therapy those poly minifigs are going to end up needing after things implode.

Step one to assembling your poly lego family is to establish compersion.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Oh good, neither the Elgin, IL or the Baton Rouge one.
Man, I hate to be the one to tell you, but when you can't find what you're looking for at the Elgin one, there are closer alternatives than Baton Rouge.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

Can anyone tell what the yellow piece is here? Lady is selling a garbage bag full of sets she says are mostly Harry Potter and LOTR.

Looks very much like the bottom of a tiny little tank with the treads removed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Darth TNT posted:

Is that thing flashing me?
It definitely is, but I think the equally strange part is that it's a giant robot that smaller robots live inside of. Like, there's a breakroom in that robot for other robots to have robot coffee and what-not. What is that like for the giant robot? What are conversations between him and the smaller robots like?

I bet awkward.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

One of the weirder things Rian Johnson introduces into SW was the concept of slow spaceships.
Ehhhhhhhh, the original trilogy played fast and loose with ship speed anyway. The Millennium Falcoln is introduced as being able to outrun a star destroyer as though that's a huge feat, and then in every battle scene afterwards, star destroyers are big lumbering things with fighters zooming all around them.

I'm sure there's a canon explanation. I'm sure it's unbelievably boring.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Well...spill the beans, what were the sealed sets???
Nothing but Galidor.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

This is an odd combination of things, how old is he?
All 3 of my nephews (ages 8 - 11), from two different families, wear a ton of underarmor and play fortnite religiously. I don't know what the deal is, but I don't think it really is an unusual combo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Habibi posted:

drat. I have no interest in that UCS Falcon whatsoever, but seeing it juxtaposed with all those other models really drives home the enormous difference in size and detail level in a way that no other image I've seen has.
I had the opposite reaction. I'm phone posting so I can't tell for sure, but is everything in that picture lego? If so, even accounting for perspective, a lot of the models in the foreground seem surprisingly large in comparison.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Pyroclastic posted:

The Stitch would have been neat, but I voted ISS.

Why, yes, I do have two Saturn Vs, a Lunar Module, like six different Shuttle variants, and three shelves packed to bursting of nearly every major Space kit Lego's ever made.
Stitch is from space.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There's a little lego toilet in the Lego Treehouse, what other lego toilets have you built?

Post the toilet, coward

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

I agree. I think ideas needs more regulation. No digital submissions. If you can't be arsed to build it yourself, why should anyone vote for it?
I mean, is it easier to design and build something digitally? Because it strikes me as the exact same amount of creativity either way, but without the prohibitive cost of having to buy a ton of bricks that you may not have. Like, ship in a bottle and the fishing shack seem like sets nobody would have all the parts for.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks guys.

Question. Do you think I should ditch the boat or keep it? Can’t decide if I think it works in there or not.
Absolutely keep the boat. It adds some..... dynamism to the scene that wouldn't be there otherwise. Hanging over the corner a bit breaks up the exterior lines, suggesting it's all part of something larger, and having it and the tank thing both pointing towards the center draws the eye there, and suggests something is about to happen.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Lepinworld.com, official site of Lepin describes that product as:

"With 3073 Pcs • Highest Quality bricks (Better than Lepin)"

Can...can your product be better.... than itself?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Capsela kids represent

You beat me to it. Capsela was the absolute king. I got a crazy amount of use out of it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Scipiotik posted:

I have an army of monkeys... muah hahaha
I just wanted to say sir, my wife and I appreciate you not letting them monkeys out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Carbohydrates posted:

Y'all are very kind, but a Patreon, to me, represents a serious commitment and promise to keep both production rate and quality at a level high enough to justify peoples' money. I hold myself to, like, a really fuckin' high standard and I could see myself burning out hard if I forced myself to work like that. I dunno.

That said, I was trying to think of a way to monetize this just enough that I could afford to build these latest cars. My idea was - and I could pitch this on Rebrickable maybe - somebody could "sponsor" a car (pay me $35 or so to cover the parts cost) and, in exchange, get access to all the instructions I've done so far? I have done $78 worth of instructions as according to my Rebrickable (plus all the free ones), so that feels like a fair offer? I wouldn't expect someone to necessarily want to build all those cars but I feel like there's still value in the instructions for build techniques and poo poo. I dunno. I'd just really like to get these latest few cars made, but I'm not trying to make a living off a hobby because that seems... not fun. I just gotta come up with a fair proposition for folks that doesn't feel like begging for donations.
You could take commissions, design specific cars for folks for a price, then send them the instructions so they can part it out themselves. A handful of people here have requested specific cars from you in the past, so I suspect there'd be a market. And if someone requests something you have no interest in making, you politely decline.

Unless of course that's what you meant by sponsoring a car, in which case, ignore me

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Would it be fair to guess all the red pieces on the awing wouldn't be available in green?