Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I asked Santa for Tales of the Space Age and the Light My Bricks kit to go with it. It was a good little build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Did someone say cars?

I have light kits for most of the stuff in the cabinet and a couple of the cars that I haven't installed yet. Also multiple USB extension cables and a hub to connect them all up. It's going to be siiiiiiick

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

PowerBeard posted:

They also have their own take on Optimus Prime, some random tanks, and Godzilla and MechaGodzilla

That Optimus looks almost like Ultra Magnus if not for the flames on the truck version being directly from the Bay movies. Cool kits though.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Oh man what people will do with number 8 scares me

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

TorakFade posted:

Woah. Number 27 looks like a straight answer to my prayers for more Castle sets for my medieval diorama... gimme that forestmen's base :getin:

I went to BrisBricks in my home town last year and got a whole gallery of some pretty spectacular stuff, including a medieval layout that was just superbly detailed. I don't want to clutter the thread with pics so here's a link to a gallery for those interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ADkkQkCQq9o1PbC27

E: last year
E (i): 2022 actually. don't get old, guys

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 9, 2024

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

smackfu posted:

This connection on 76918 McLaren Solus GT should not have passed quality control. One stud, on the corner, no secondary bracing. Extremely easy to knock off when you pick up the model. Also super fiddly to build in the first place.

Yeah, I built that not so long ago and realised the exact same thing, just repositioning the car makes it drop off.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Some of the City Space sets are very cool - I got the lunar rover (which is actually based on a NASA design, from the looks). I'm hyper enthused about the Technic space sets launching on 1st March. I want that cargo lift VTOL ship so very badly.

The way I read it is that the City Space stuff is a little whimsical but could be current-tech adjacent. Same with the Friends Space sets. Then you have the harder sci-fi style space sets that have sleeker lines and alien greeblies and such. Then there's the Technic and display model sets, most of which are existing or historical vehicles and technology (until 1st March!). All of them seem to be able to be described under a loose title of Lego Space depending on where you're looking at them.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I just built my little City Space Lunar Rover. It was a nice little build, none of the repetition of e.g. botanicals or the fiddliness of some of the Technic sets which is what I've been doing lately. It was quick but I enjoyed it a lot.

I put it together specifically to display in front of my Tales of the Space Age set:

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

Side note, it's the first display that I've connected with a USB extension to this independently switched USB hub for the lighting and I'm super excited to get more on this so I can have all my glowy flashies work solo when I'm showing them to people.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Brawnfire posted:

My cat did this once

:smith:

:same:

I had all my lego in a big red open topped tub in the bottom of a closet when I was about 15 or so. I noticed a steadily growing smell coming from said closet, which never really closed properly. It turns out that a big flat tub full of lego pieces tucked away in a closet reads very much like a huge and glorious private litter tray to a cat brain.

Some of the grey castle wall pieces I have from the original Lion Castle are still visibly yellowed with rectangular patches where other bricks were sitting against them, despite repeated washing when it was discovered. Cat wee is fierce stuff.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
My 14 year old is an insane MCU fanatic and has many of the sets like the Quinjet, both Guardians ships, the Groot and Rocket figures, and many others. She is completing a full marathon run of the MCU movies before the new school year starts next week.

She refuses to include Eternals in this run, will not acknowledge as part of continuity (it isn't) and has no desire for any of the sets from it.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

HootTheOwl posted:

What's her username

I would not introduce her to this forum in much the same way as I would not encourage her to explore an open sceptic tank

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I got the Interstellar Spaceship City Space set based on recommendations here and it is an amazing set for the price. I only paid $22 AU.

E: also got this lad for $14 AU. He's pretty nifty as is his little mining drone.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 21, 2024

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I managed to land an ornithopter for $199 AU ($131 US) by sheer luck from online ordering from my local big box department store. Assuming that it actually turns up, because their stock level information seems to be unreliable at best.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Carpet posted:

Well that was a fun build. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I can pose it outside but it's also a chunky build - the core is very solid but the landing gears seem to hold it up well. The wing flapping movement perhaps doesn't flap them as much as I would like but they look great extended and retracted (which is how I will have to display it due to the 70cm wingspan).

Someone linked a review video earlier which showed that you have to hold it much further back on the tail than you'd think (it's reinforced to support this) and press the very back end of the activation bar, and do it in a careful rhythm because the wing mechanism is activated by gravity only so you have to account for the drop and bounce cycle. I'd be interested to know if that improves it for you.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
This guy is so cool.

Also, my thopter and a few other sets arrived. But I have no build time for the next few weeks due to ridiculous time frames required for home renovations. :rip:

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
So, my family went to a Lego Jurassic World display at our local museum last night. It was pretty awesome.

Full album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rSsBtLEBYFiDukMy9

As a super added bonus that I was not expecting, in the shop on the way out they had a couple of the Lego Insect Collection which I had completely given up on finding anywhere at non-scalper prices since it's been out of stock pretty much since launch. Just sitting there at RRP. So of course I bought it. I'm pretty stoked.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Micro Rocket Launchpad GWP is live in Australia.

Goddddd I wish that Technic Space stuff launching March was on preorder now. There's not much I really want to hit that quite high total right now.

e: Launching 1st March, actually. I wonder what the odds are of preorders going live for that by the end of the window where the Micro Rocket Launchpad is the gift?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Waltzing Along posted:

Lego thread: Shiiiiiiiit, i've lost control of my life

I don't know what you're implying

:negative:

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I managed to order the orrery and the 3 new Technic space sets, plus the Speed Champions Ford Mustang, from a combination of the big chain stores over here in Aus - and the crazy thing was the Technic sets were at a pretty substantial discount so I've saved over 30% of the Lego.com price.

The danger is that these stores get hit pretty hard by online orders (like I've just done) so there is a possibility that I'll get a "whoops, we actually out of stock soz" email in a bit on some of those orders. But ah well, if I need to pay full price I'll do it for those.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Happy to report that the new Technic Space range is every bit as cool as I was hoping, based on the Loader kit which is the only one I've received as yet. The VTOL and the Rover kits are in the post and my wife is going to tuck them away for my birthday in around a month.

For a $42 AU price point (RRP is $50 AU) the Loader kit has so many cool features and such a good build quality that I am immediately in love with it.

Its colour scheme also aligns with the newer City Space range which I'm sure must be intentional. It's scaled almost to the point that you could put a minifig in the driver's seat and not have it look crazy.

And the consistent Space logo is prominently placed.

Can't wait to build the others.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 3, 2024

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Can it actually hold a minifig (looking odd or otherwise) and interact with the System sets?

Yeah, it can, quite comfortably. It doesn't even really look out of scale, it's just the loader would be a very big vehicle compared to the System vehicles and bases. The seat and wheel are scaled about right in the cockpit.

E: just realised while doing that that the tyre treads have a directionality and I didn't have it matched so I've had to fix that, of course

Size comparison with a few other sets:

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 3, 2024

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
This thing is cool

It actually handles seasonal precession fairly accurately. Much more satisfying mechanism than I thought from looking at pre release images.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I don't dislike the aesthetic of having the obvious joins. The whole thing is very evidently a mechanical framework so kind of leaning into that works for me. I guess I can see the other side though.

E: Oh! Something that may be non obvious is that the Sun rotates (quite fast) as part of the mechanism. That makes the joins much less problematic in appearance than if it was just stuck on.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
ah crap, the Bumblebee set looks like the Michael Bay version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6vrpKV4p8

I am disappoint. I was going to put him next to Optimus in my cabinet

E: Hmm maybe not, it looks like that's just art that's been used for the video thumbnail. Fingers crossed.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 7, 2024

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
This guy rocks

The water splash effect on the base is also quite lovely. Really like this model for display.

E: posting these pics made me notice that I'd missed a 2x1 flat right on the chest which I've fixed now

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 10, 2024

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I must be in a distinct minority because i stick all the stickers on where I am told like a good little Lego man

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I built all 5 of the new Speed Champions models today. Both BMW models use flat tiles in a way that greatly disturbs me - the finished models have flat tiles clicked in edgeways between studs and left to sit like that! It's just not right dammit!

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Dogen posted:

The unsecured stud and tile stack near the exhaust on the M4 still haunts my dreams

oh the silver round bit pushed in under the "handle" bit? I was concerned but that gets effectively locked in place by being surrounded by other pieces so I could sort of overlook it. But the flat 1*1 at the end of the central fin physically hurts me to look at.

feel my pain

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Be the change you want to see in the world!

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

xzzy posted:

because it holds securely and doesn't distort any pieces.

"Securely" is a strong word for that connection! It can pop out if you simply pick the model up incautiously.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Butterfly Valley posted:

So no different than myriad other single stud connections?

Correct! Most of which are also not ideal for toy car models. And indeed there are a few other Speed Champions which I think are distressingly flimsy for basic handling.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Xenomrph posted:

If I like orrerys, will I like the Technic “earth and moon orbit” set?

Probably, if you're into mechanical orreries. I think it's cool. People here have expressed that they prefer an unofficial version though, due to the visible joins on the Sun hemispheres. I can say that the mechanism in the official one is very cool and e.g. preserves the correct axial tilt on the Earth as it orbits which is more detail than one might expect from a Lego kit. I like the look of it, as well.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
To me Technic sets are about the exposed and functional aesthetic. You're building something that is designed to do a thing and seeing how the mechanism that does that thing is set up is sort of the point. Like the Technic cars aren't aiming to look like glossy 1:1 replicas in any way.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Having just recently got back into Lego for the first time since my early teens like, 2 years back, and having spent an appreciable amount of my total income on Lego since that point, I have a definite point of view on the space sets - and that is I'm all for the quirky figures as collectables, I love them at first sight and will be trying to get this full set - but for stuff to put on a shelf I like the more grounded things a bit more. I am currently planning a pretty big layout combining the two most recent space base sets with rocket gantries and control towers and a bunch of vehicles, and considering whether I can make the recent Technic space sets work in with it. So we aren't all looking for nostalgia only.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Made the midi Falcon. It looks really good. Lots of detail.

One thing that's super cute that you can't see from the outside is that built into the central structure - where you can't see them without disassembling the set - there are stacks of coloured round single studs that represent movie characters in some of the iconic scenes that take place inside the ship.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Pretty cool little build. No real features to speak of. Head rotates, middle foot detaches, spare panels with his welding arm and taser can be swapped on. Got a Sith figure I give no particular craps about with it as people were discussing up thread a bit.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
So hang on, it looks like the lego.com site only allows 12 minifigure blind boxes purchased per series with no time limits. I guess they want to foster the secondary market to collect the full set?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Decided to embark on building the new Technic Space VTOL and holy crap, stickers... that's an approx A4 sized sheet of them with a second smaller sheet.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I have started getting into the collector minifigures. I really like them - they're such whimsical little guys. I have 21, 22 and 23 here and 24/25 on the way next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Series 25 arrived. I think I get far, far too much joy from staging these minifigs.