Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I personally like having the manuals as PDF on a tablet. No messing around with folded manuals like you see in some of the smaller sets, and you can zoom in for more detail on certain kits with unconventional build techniques, like Speed Champions. One of the sillier instruction sets I recently encountered was for the BrickHeadz set of Scrooge McDuck and Huey, Dewey & Louie. It was two booklets, one for Scrooge and one for the nephews. However, the one for the nephews basically repeated itself three times, first in green, then in red, then in blue. All three nephews have the exact same parts and pose, and I ended up just building all three at the same time off of the first third of the manual. Feels like they could have found a way to cut that instruction set by two thirds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A few weeks ago someone pointed out to me that the dark-haired minifigure in the Vintage Car Ideas set from this year has a varsity jacket with 'NB' printed on it. I hadn't made the connection myself. It's probably overthinking things a little, but it's fun to think that someone is surreptitiously sneaking in some representation.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've always dug the Speed Champions sets, even if I was never a car kid growing up. My eight year old niece loves playing with them when she comes over, mostly because of all the female drivers that are included. I do kind of miss the little accessories they'd put in before they upscaled the line to eight wide though.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Welp, apparently a friend of my dad's took his grandchildren to Billund this summer. And asked him to pick up the Brick Moulding Machine, which just arrived by mail as my birthday present. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to display this...

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Those are charming. I love the white snake for a wisp of smoke from the chimney.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I just noticed that they have shorter minifig legs with hinges. How long have those been a thing? I'm pretty sure I have sets from this year with short rigid legs. Also, in general, it looks like a really cool big house, even without the Home Alone license.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Ah, them being used in Harry Potter sets explains why I haven't seen them, thanks for the explanation. I have a load of the shorter ones in various colours from the dwarves sets they did about a decade ago, and the occasional kid minifig. I'm surprised the ones with hinges aren't used more, but I guess might partially be a production cost thing,

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So I've completed the brick moulding machine, and I've noticed a few oddities. The biggest one is the mechanism - it has a knob at the back that you can turn to make one half of the mould move back and forth, just like it does on the actual machines for the bricks to be objected. It's basically impossible to get any kind of smooth movement going with it, a crank mechanism would have made it work a lot better. It also does that thing where you get some weird part usage that I guess is meant to reduce the number of different kinds of bricks used in a bag, so you end up doing things like using two 2x2 corner bricks where you would have used a regular 2x3 brick. It also has an oddity in the build order. You add the legs (2x2x2 stands) with bag two, but don't build the big baseplate until the final bag. It would have made a lot more sense to either add the supports to the same bag the baseplate is in so you build on a flat surface all the way through, or to make building the baseplate the start. I ended up doing the latter.

Overall though, it was a very fun build. I'm looking into motorizing the mechanism as part of how I'm going to display it, but I have no idea where to actually put it yet.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
For real though, those new Stuntz bikes are really well designed. I got one a while ago because the minifigure that came with it was cool but they zip around in a way that I would have absolutely loved as a kid. The flywheel mechanism is really well designed and engineered.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I love the Monkie Kid sets, even if I don't have budget/room for an extensive collection of them. I do have the big Monkey King Warrior Mech. I was going to get the Demon Bull King too but it got pulled from the Lego store without warning and I haven't found a good deal for it on Bricklink yet. I do plan to pick up Pigsy's Noodle Tank on Black Friday.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So Vidiyo is pretty much dead, isn't it? I was at a major toy retailer in my country the other day and pretty much everything in the line, up to the large flagship sets, was at least half off, and it seems about the same for online retailers.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are some really cool minifigs in line and it's worth taking a look even if you don't care about the theme itself.

Yeah, some of the minifigures are awesome. I bought the Robo HipHop car just for that, and I'll eventually add the HipHop Robot and DJ Beatbox to complete it as a display set. If things go down hard on Bricklink I might eventually also put a metal band together with the dragon, vampires and werewolf scattered across various sets.

Skios fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 7, 2021

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The coffee cart GWP Is up this week for purchases over €/$ 65.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
One thing I'm really into is Lego mechs. I had my eye on the Monkie Kid Demon Bull King mech for ages, and it just went 'Out of Stock' one day in the middle of August, without ever showing up in the about to be discontinued section of Lego.com.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Butterfly Valley posted:

So? That means it'll come back into stock at some point, out of stock doesn't mean discontinued.

I really hope you're right, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Seriously, there's so much cool poo poo in there. I love stuff like the beams, and the quality of the stickers, and that you went well beyond simply replicating stuff from the franchise and still ending up with a bunch of stuff that would make sense within its universe.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
New Marvel character mechs for 2022. Another Iron Man, plus Black Panther and Wolverine. Could have done without a second Iron Man, but at least it's not a fourth Spider-Man. The Wolverine one is wonderful though.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
That looks really cool, especially with the colours used. I would suggest moving the handlebars forward one stud, and flipping them over, so that the ends are pointing upwards. That would make it easier for them to be held by a sitting minifig, I think.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

The main living room shelves are pretty much all Ninjago right now. From top to bottom it's dragons, then mechs, then vehicles, then finally minifigures, scenery pieces, and the City Gardens. I was already planning to expand the shelves over the winter. Now I'm thinking of putting Lantern City on the other side of the bottom shelf to frame the middle. Definitely getting that one, along with the Evil Macaque's Mech. Honestly, for a blatant attempt to get more into the Chinese market. the whole Monkie Kid line has been pretty amazing.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Bunch of new sets just had their images added.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just finished updating my 2022 spreadsheet to plan my buys. Thankfully there's a drug store in my country that sells a lot of the stuff I look for well below RRP, and they often have 'Buy two, get 25% off' deals to keep it manageable.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

veni veni veni posted:

Does Lego make the sausage link part in brown?

Dark Red is the closest.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So with two new large mechs announced, along with a handful of small ones, I realised that I needed a bigger mech shelf. I had an 80cm by 30cm shelf that everything was crammed onto. The main problem was that I have the Ninjago City Gardens a two shelves down from that. I finally ended up solving the problem by getting a 120cm shelf and just punching a hole for the tower to stick through.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

deoju posted:

The new Dune movie owns. I made a Muad'Dib Brickhead.

The hardest part was doing justice to Chalamet's magnificent locks.

:3:

Speaking of things that are :3: - I took a closer look at some of my planned purchases for the next few months, and the Ninja Ultra Combo Mech is a full-blown Voltron assembled out of separate vehicles.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Rythe posted:

Is your shelving modular or able to adjust each individual shelf up and down independently?

Each shelf can be adjusted as needed. It uses rails like this and hooks like this. The hooks come in different lengths as well. The top and bottom shelves are 40cm deep, with the second one being 30cm deep and the third one only 20cm. They go as low as 10cm and as wide as 50cm, and also come in wider versions (rails with double gaps, wider hooks that can support more weight.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
There wasn't a news post for it, but Brickset added images for about a dozen new Polybag sets to the database. As usual, there's some really neat stuff in there.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Some leaks for March 2022. Some space stuff (A moon rover and a space station, a large Technic logging truck, some Friends and Dots stuff, and some very cute Creator stuff.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
That would make sense with the scale of the chainsaw that came with it, I suppose. Between my limited interest in Technic and the quality of the image, it was kind of hard to tell.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Has Lego ever come out and said why they're not doing any new space themes beyond the (pseudo-)NASA stuff? Because they've shown with Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! how well things could work combining older style parts with modern design sensibilities.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
More leaks, Toy Story Brickheadz this time, not that shocking. Some cool designs at least.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
As someone with a big honkin' robot shelf, it's definitely on the to buy list for next year. €80 MSRP feels reasonable too, especially for a licensed set. Definitely curious as to what it will actually look like, but I'm sure it'll be more brick for your buck than the Blizz webshop exclusive Bastion they did a few years ago.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Christmas isn't really the gift giving December holiday over here, but managed to snag some stuff from a local drug store franchise webshop clearing inventory in preparation for 2022. Between the sets already being sold under RRP, and a 35% discount being slapped on, I ended up getting some Speed Champions and Ninjago stuff for almost half off.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Terry van Feleday posted:

On a whim I decided to give Lego a try again for the first time since my youth and got the Ninjago set "Skull Sorcerer's Dragon", because it's cool as hell. I feel like Lego has really improved since my time with it in the late 90s - mid 2000s, all the new parts here are so versatile... Here's a mech suit I built with just parts from that set, I'm pretty happy with how the head turned out.

gently caress, that looks as good as an alt build for a legitimate set. Love the use of the wings as a cloak for the mech. How is the mobility? Are you having any issues with the knee joints?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Terry van Feleday posted:

Thanks! The amount of articulation is adequate, but it does have big issues with stability, the joints clearly weren't intended to carry this much weight; oddly the ratchets in the hips are a much bigger problem than the balljoint knees, it really likes doing the splits. (also some parts aren't super well attached, the kneepads and hands like to fall off a lot)

Yeah. Knee joints especially seem to have stymied designers for a while now. This is the only large mech I have that has functioning knee joints, and even then it's a rather weird ball and socket array that employs a lot of friction and gives limited range of movement. Prior to that this is probably the biggest mech in my collection, and it uses a single large ball and socket joint for the knee, which definitely gives it some stability issues. Even small mechs in the $10-$20 RRP range seem to often just skip attempting knee joints.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I've been obsessed with mini/midi scale cars for a few weeks since getting the City Advent Calendar. Here are two sets of similar cars I've designed in the last few days based on the upcoming 2022 City sets:

The Christmas parade floats and Poinsettia Cart in the first shot are original things for an advent calendar idea. I'd probably drop the Poinsettia Cart in favor of another vehicle or parade float, it's the only minifig-scale thing there.

Those look amazing. I especially love the little parade float, the Formula 1 car, the cement truck and the tractor.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Waltzing Along posted:

So what does the grey one do?

It has less friction than the blue ones. In terms of friction it's basically red > blue > grey. For the standard pins I believe it's blue > light grey, but the last time I built a Technic set that was big enough for that to matter was probably when the colour coding was still black > grey.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Looks like we're getting some more BrickHeadz. We already had the Toy Story ones, but now with better images. I don't care enough about Stranger Things to get them, but the other two will probably be picked up at some point if I need to put myself over the free shipping threshold on Lego.com.

Also, it seems like quite a few of the Ninjago sets use this piece for limbs, and it has really put me Leoff them, even if I collect Lego mechs.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Lamont posted:

What happened with Mindstorms?

Basically, when the first generation of Mindstorms came out, they were a huge hit with adult users. At the time, Lego had no interest in pursuing that particular market. On top of that, when Lego found out that people online were spreading information on how to break down the coding language behind the Mindstorms and make their own far more advanced programs, their legal team pursued this as aggressively as Lego pursues any infringement on their intellectual property. It basically boiled down the traditional corporate culture of Lego clashing with the way people interacted with their products in a whole new way. Eventually Lego seemed to catch on to the fact that people playing around with their code wasn't the same as some Chinese company trying to sell knock-off bricks. The fact that these people also spent way more money on Mindstorms than the initial target audience definitely helped.

These days they're very cool with hacking. Again, these people buy a lot of poo poo. But Lego does also do some stuff that's genuinely cool and would go against what people would normally assume is corporate self-interest. Last year, they worked with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to release a pre-built HAT and the software to go with it. Besides the Pi having, by its very nature, far more room for customization than the default Mindstorms Intelligent Brick, it's also far cheaper, thus making the project a lot more accessible not just to people but to schools as well.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm really hoping the Naruto thing makes it. I'd sell the Naruto figures and populate it with the Ninjago crew.

Also, catching up with some of my backlog. Currently working on the Speed Champions dragster for 76904, and the core of that build is just plain weird:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'd imagine that Western would be hard to sustain for more than a year or two at a time, especially outside of the US market, and doubly so with all the historical baggage that comes with the theme. But at least the early 2000s Western line gave us this minifigure, with the perfect headdress for those of us working on our Storming the Capitol dioramas.