Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Just hit the local thrift store, got a few lego things including a sealed in box Quatro set. *5476*

I also got 2 mini sets with Shell gas logo's on em, numbers 2542 and 2540.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I didn't know brickfair was local to me.. drat I would have loved to have gone.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Hit the jackpot today at the thrift store.. 25+ pound box for $49.80 *my postal scale maxes at 25*

What I thought to be a pirate ship turned out to be set #6493 - Flying Time Vessel, still sorting the box though.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Glass Joe posted:

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread, now I want to go back to my parents' house and pick up my giant tubs of bricks.

I've been looking at the product catalog, and I noticed the train tracks they use now aren't the same as 20 years ago. Are they compatible? I want my Lego train :(

The lego train hasn't really changed much, its still the same basic size *known as L-gauge* its mostly about how the track is assembled and how the train is powered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Trains

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Kazy posted:

That was the best set. :colbert: I'm in the process of clearing out shelves and desks and sorting through my own Lego, I have a bunch of old train tracks, still. Are the tracks still the same size these days or did they change it when they went to RC motors?

Also I found a #4500 Snow Speeder, I'm not sure where the pilots went off to though. Hoping my Y-Wing comes soon, then I'll have to dig out my Star Destroyer and hope all the pieces are still there.

I have one, is the current RC-type track compatible from the one from around 10 years ago? (The one that you hooked the wires up to the track and controlled it that way.

If its the 9v track *has the metal topper* the yes they will connect to each other, you won't be able to run the 9v train motor on the rc track as it lacks the metal top rail but The rolling stock will still work fine.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 28, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

So I finally weighed up all the bulk lego I had sitting in bins. 41.5lbs of the stuff. Sadly I am going to have to sell it to help cover bills.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

ireladd posted:

Where do you live? I might like to buy some to help pay your bills.

Also, sorry, losing Lego is never easy. :(

I'm in maryland.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Ted Stevens posted:

Where abouts? I'm in NoVA.

Glen Burnie

not really lookin to break it up, pm me an offer if you like.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 24, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Took my friends kids to the lego store this afternoon, they had never been. They had a blast. Ended up buying them set 7236 and set 3180. I pre-bought the Lego Universe game so I got all the Goodies, and then also bought the game.

They have the london bridge set on display, its impressive.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

so is lego universe worth it or should I just take it back?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

BrainWeasel posted:

Is it out of beta yet? Can I break the NDA?

went officially live on Saturday the 9th, so I'd say yes.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Friday I got a call from a friend, "hey I'm taking my son to the lego store, wanna come along". So we went, she suprised me for my birthday and bought me 2 sets, 3180 and 3221. Then I go over my parents for dinner and my mom hands me a small box containg 2 sets of 852214 *the salt and pepper shakers*.

Its been a lego filled weekend.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

A Bad Poster posted:

My friend got a job working at a LEGO store. Am I supposed to kill her and take her place, or what? Of note, she gets a 30% discount on anything she buys.

I was talkin to one of the lego store employee's a while back, there is One day a year they get 50% but aren't allowed to get VIP points on anything purchased.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 20, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Went to Toys'R'Us to take advantage of their buy1getone50% sale and figured I'd swing by the thift store on the way home. Glad I did.

Oh yeah. $9.89

I know there is some megablock in it, but I think its well worth the risk.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 20, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I told myself I wasn't going to collect those minifig series, I am so weak. I just ordered a series 2 set off ebay for $45 shipped. Now just need to track down the first series for a deal.

Also placed a bricklink order for some train bits to build some rolling stock with.

my poor wallet...

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Dr. Platypus posted:

What's going on with the Propeller Power creator set? I saw it all over the place last week, but now it seems to have disappeared everywhere, and is up to forty bucks on amazon. Was it a black friday sale item or something? It's crazy how fast it disappeared.

It might have been, it shows in stock at my local tru's.

I've been bitten by the minifig bug.. I got series 2 and am looking for series 1, any one got a spare set they'd part with?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Bricklink is probably the easiest. For the magnets, you'll have to buy the three parts separately. It's likely the same sellers will have the pieces, though.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4022

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2920

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=73092

The wheels can be bought as separate parts or together.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2878c01

The new type of train wheels are slightly different, but would work just as well. Just browse the "wheels" category to find the different types.

These things are not especially cheap, unfortunately, as there are lots of train people out there, and the old style magnets and wheels are no longer made. It's possible you might have luck finding a lot of multiple magnets/wheels on ebay, but I don't really know how much those go for. Full sets tend to be pricey.

The newer encased magnet/buffer setups work just as well as the old and will mix with out issue. If you don't mind the slightly different look they should be more plentiful then the older style.

do you still have the 9v train motor?

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 1, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Since Nov 1, I've spent at least $460 on lego.

e:f,b :(

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 12, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Pyroclastic posted:

I went to Target today to look for those Lego gift cards, but couldn't find a sign of 'em anywhere.

I hit both my local targets and managed to find some, they are on end caps of the isles. First place to look would be the greeting card section. They have a special hook/display for the lego cards.

As of this afternoon they had about 4 of em left.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I bought something interesting off ebay.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

7 of them to be exact.

and yes, they are official lego.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 19, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

The Duck of Death posted:

Compatible with Quatro? Duplo?

Just dug out a Duplo and Quatro block. They aren't compatible.

Normal > Duplo > Quatro > ???

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 19, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Knormal posted:

Have you seen the giant heads yet?

I've already spent my frivolous spending budget for this month, but next month I'm totally buying one to sit atop my bookcase.

Indeed, it is on my post christmas purchase list as well.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I braved the mall and went to the lego store. It was packed, but on the counter were 2 full boxes of Series 3 Figs. I didn't have my cheat sheet with me for the bumps so I sorted out 6 and used the bumps to make sure I didn't have any Dupes.

Ended up with

1x Sumo
1x Snowboarder
1x Race driver
1x Mummy
1x Alien
1x Baseball Player

I might go back today with the cheat sheet and see if I can snag the rest of the set.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I made another trek to the lego store, this time with bump sheet in hand. I also Picked up a Camper (7639) while I was there. The shelves were pretty bare. All the Prince of Persia was marked down, the Christmas stuff is 50% off as well.

I only need 5 more to complete my series 3 collection.

I need:
Hula Girl
Elf
Fisherman
Indian

I have Spare
Gorilla - opened
Rapper - sealed -Traded

e: updated list

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 6, 2011

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I finally managed to go to the other Lego store in my area. I got all the other S3 Minifig's I needed. The Guys on staff even went in back and pulled a new case to find me the fisherman I needed.

I also got me a christmas stocking and 7566 *small farmer set with the pig* just for fun.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 9, 2011

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

toochilled posted:

I finally found some S3 in the UK today in Argos.
Also they had a poster for them at Smiths, but no figures.

I picked 15 at semi-random.
I don't know if it is just this box but on about half you couldn't see the identifier bumps at all and they were very, very faint on the rest.

yeah, I gave up on the bumps and just started feeling the bags.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Few things been happening here, I won a 2nd 4559 train off ebay. I now have a nice long train, it looks great with the sloped end. I also ran across a conversion on flickr for using the PowerFunction IR remote to control 9v trains using the old train controller as power source. Quick trip to the lego website and Parts were on the way. I also have a line on a 6399 Monorail set.

I am planning a bigger layout soon, also need to pickup some track cleaner from the hobby store.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 16, 2011

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Granite Octopus posted:

I am such a sucker for the lego trains. When I was young my best mate had a massive 12v layout. Easily 8x10 ft. Had the big station, a few switches, heaps and heaps of lights and signals. All those accessories and stuff you could get for the 12v trains were awesome.

We used to flog the poo poo out of the big 12v train motors; I can smell the ozone now...

I was kind of disappointed when they went the battery + wireless route with the new ones, but I guess it makes setting up the tracks and stuff easier (and cheaper). Do the batteries last very long?

Don't know, my setup is 9v. the motors pick up power from the rails. Similar to the 12v system but the outer rails are conductive instead of having a middle conductive strip.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I have had a good day so far. I bought a 6399 monorail set and it arrived today. The motor works though its missing a few bits, one of which being the red motor cover. I've wanted a monorail ever since I saw them.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 22, 2011

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Shuppiluliumas posted:

But now, we're getting a train:

oh drat, I know I'm gonna buy several of these sets.. any idea on the release date?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Shup, seriously you make my brain explode. I wouldn't even know were to begin to build on the level you do.

and yes, bricklink is an evil thing, almost as bad as ebay.

That being said I am going to pick up a 4561 set I got from trolling the local craigslist ads. Its missing 2 curve track bits but is other wise complete, Like most train guys I've got curved track in abundance.

I've also found and joined a local LUG. Its fairly new but with a little help it should grow.

e: just spent $40 on bricklink, its a sickness I swear.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 29, 2011

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Brickshop.nl Has a listing for the 10219 Maersk train with more pictures. No price yet given. 1200+ pieces.

The more I see of this set, The more my wallet quakes in fear.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u54pSw3gSEY

hello nurse!

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

those modular buildings are as cheap as your gonna find *baring coupon/sale/ebay score* and will only increase in value as they are retired.

I found set 6454 at my local thrift store, 100% complete, the sound/light box still worked. best 6 bucks yet.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Managed to brave the Mall/Lego store tonight. I nothing too exciting, managed to snag a S3 fisherman but still lack an elf.

They still had a box full of Christmas stockings.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

A little info update on that Maersk Train 10219 set.

http://www.byggepladen.dk/oirae7ntv10219.asp < According to here its due out Beginning of April with a price of $119 USD.

Some detailed photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/sets/72157626085314780/

This set makes me drool.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Toys R Us online is doing Buy One, Get One 50% off for LEGO till Feb 26. Finally going to get the Motorbike I've been looking at for a while but didn't want to spend $40 on.

The sale is in-store as well.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Pagan posted:

So, Lego Thread, what's the best way to get more train stuff? My collection has a ton of bricks, but trains need things like wheels, couplers, and tracks. Are there sets that have an excess of those pieces, or is eBay the best bet?

I could build cars out of my collection, and I'd like to expand the Emerald Night train set (after motorizing it.)

Bricklink is great for wheels and whatnot. A word of warning, some store charge less for already assembled train wheels then they do for the individual parts, some charge more. I've found in a few cases it was cheaper to buy the 2 wheels, axle and holder separately then to buy it already snapped together.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10219&cn=419&d=328

such a tease!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Creepy Goat posted:

http://www.fbtb.net/2010/11/18/series-3-blind-pack-code-cracked/

I think this is the right one anyway.

I've tried both versions of the bumps. Its just faster/easier to feel the bags. Most of the minifigs have items that stick out pretty well.