Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are the part numbers on bricklink different from those that Lego itself uses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Working in LDD on a modular submarine in what is, I guess, the Atlantis set. Just finished my first piece (and it'll only cost $95!)

Click here for the full 1415x1067 image.

Click here for the full 1415x1067 image.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

3 posted:

Hope you have MS Access.

It is pretty useful, if a bit unwieldy and sparsely documented.

Hey, awesome, that broke it down to about $40 or so.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dumb submarine mecha (I got some ideas from Mascot's earlier post):

Click here for the full 1685x1067 image.

Click here for the full 1685x1067 image.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 28, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I've been very busy these last few weeks. I am building an intermodal container port complete with ship, cranes and all the rest for Brickfair this year. Most of it is done and boxed up to go, but here's one photo of the old, rotting dock that sits off to one side of the main port.

Seeing as this port required building so many different things, I'll have many more pictures soon.

I really like the use of the 1x1 green transparent plates for the water.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm trying to figure out how to make a cargo elevator/forklift/whatever with vertical travel of five blocks, and I'm just shooting blanks. Anyone have any ideas?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

InfinEight posted:

I have no idea what's going on there :)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainWeasel posted:

Do you need it to stay in place when it moves?

I'd like it to, yes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Atlantis Exploration HQ really sucks. As a HQ, it's really confusing because it's so open. As a sub, the lights knock over any minifigs you try to put inside. Piece of poo poo.

It has a lot of small design elements that I like, though, and am going to steal mercilessly to design my own "exploration HQ" (that can actually be staffed by the 18 atlantis minifigs I have, heh heh)

edit: The Neptune Carrier is really nice though.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 4, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainWeasel posted:

Even though it was on clearance, I got some sticker shock when I bought the Bionicle chest piece pictured above. The 10-cent rule of thumb has really spoiled me for fancy parts.

I tried to brainstorm ways of making slide rail pieces go vertical, but I couldn't think of a good way of making it stay in place without hydraulics, and I'm away from my bricks so I can't test anything. If you can clear that hurdle, though, one of these on either side of a platform would make a pretty sturdy elevator.

I took InfinEight's thing and changed it slightly. I need a little more vertical travel than the 4-high antennas he used, so I used technic axles:

Click here for the full 1689x1067 image.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intoxication posted:

how about the hitech concept?

Click here for the full 1280x859 image.

Can you email me the lxf for that at whiskeyjuvenile@gmail.com?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainWeasel posted:

Even though it was on clearance, I got some sticker shock when I bought the Bionicle chest piece pictured above. The 10-cent rule of thumb has really spoiled me for fancy parts.

I tried to brainstorm ways of making slide rail pieces go vertical, but I couldn't think of a good way of making it stay in place without hydraulics, and I'm away from my bricks so I can't test anything. If you can clear that hurdle, though, one of these on either side of a platform would make a pretty sturdy elevator.

I think actually this plus a technic axle to keep it in place might work. How do you use slide rail pieces though?

edit: That is to say, "PLATE 1x2 WITH SLIDE" fits in, but the offset is really weird and I can't manage to fit another piece on it in LDD, so I'm a bit concerned.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 4, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's my next try for an elevator, trying to make it pretty simple:

Close-up of the guiderail and elevator slot with one guiderail cover and all the elevator chassis hidden:

edit: Less axles should make it easier to move, and the guiderails give it some stability, even though they're probably just aesthetic.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainWeasel posted:

The brackets on the side aren't a single piece, right? It's hard to see any seams in these pictures.

Here, I colored all the pieces.

Side view:

Angle view:

edit: The great thing is that the elevator is on the same grid as the rails, making aligning everything really easy.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 5, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
why it gotta be blacktron :whatup:

edit: seriously space police is racist as heck and atlantis is so conquistador it hurts.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carbohydrates posted:

That is SO MANY tan cheese slopes

we were talking about racism, so of course I read "chinese" for "cheese" and my jaw dropped.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intoxication posted:

I'm not sure about cost right now, but it should be frightening.
I seem to remember a program that could somehow create bricklink price lists from .lxf files, I'll give that a shot when it's done.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41993

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress, I live in Alexandria! I coulda gone! Better luck next year.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still trying to figure out this motherfucking lift situation. Trying to cram 5 bricks high movement in 4x4-4x6 or so...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Still trying to figure out this motherfucking lift situation. Trying to cram 5 bricks high movement in 4x4-4x6 or so...

that should work, no?

edit: loving confirm

edit2: I also learned you can pick colors not on the color palette by hovering over the colors on the top row in LDD.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 11, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

3 posted:

Those LDD hinges are click hinges, so I wouldn't recommend using them specifically for that kind of lift.

Yeah, I'll have to get the old-school hinges probably (although the click hinges would solve the "support itself" problem...)

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 11, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I you were to double the number of finger hinges in that old set design to 4 rows, it would definitely support itself, unless you got some really loose hinges. It might even do alright as is. Sometimes those hinges are pretty tight.

I'll probably buy two rows of new and four rows of old and see if I can make the former work, because I'd prefer that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My parents are visiting me this weekend, and they just told me they kept all my legos from when I was a kid. loving score!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Work in progress. I had made arms, but they were way too heavy. I have to figure something else out.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 24, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fixed the arms. This is my first MOC, so yay for that:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would tan and dark tan work as a parquet wood floor?

e: or should I use brown and dark tan?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ingraman posted:

Made some more bots, including a pretty lame transformer. Explosions linked too if you want to make them. Pretty sure I'm getting the lego equivalent of writer's block.

Exploded http://www.flickr.com/photos/30995509@N02/4870085654/

Exploded http://www.flickr.com/photos/30995509@N02/4927702719/

I really love your stuff, by the way.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ladies and gentlemen, the penishands mecha:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got 4995 Cargo Copter in the mail new for $18.

Here's a video I found of building it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GpcYfXoUYY

Coolest thing about it is that it's minifig scale from a creator set.

Also, I finally learned how to tie a knot thanks to building it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

InfinEight posted:

Is there something you'd like to tell the group? Maybe you can show us where the robot touched you :pedo:

Supposedly I should be able to cram a minifig in there sitting, but the loving torso is such a clusterfuck SNOT mess that if it doesn't fit, welp.

Just ordered the pieces off bricklink, we'll see how it goes when I get it.

~200 pieces.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carbohydrates posted:

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something but the connection for its eyes doesn't look possible (which I normally wouldn't mention, but you said you've ordered parts).

This is more of an experiment in SNOT than anything:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah. Well, we'll see. Worst case, I just put two 1x1 plates and lift it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElwoodCuse posted:

Neither does this, even with 150 more pieces.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8404-1

I love the original big fuckoff jetliner, which apparently cost only $40 in 2007-8! $40 now gets your this comparatively puny thing.

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=3181&cn=339&d=9

Yeah, I really like 8404 Public Transport, but I'd spend like $75 at most on it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amazon has 21005 fallingwater for $70, and it's going on bricklink for like $90 with like one sold a month. Do I invest?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheMadMilkman posted:

They had this on display at my local TRU. I wish the bus was sold separately. It's a really good model.

You can get the pieces for the bus off bricklink for like $35. The only expensive pieces are the trans-black windows.

Here's an .lxf for the bus. I changed the back a little because LDD doesn't have the piece that the set uses for the rear bumper.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Working on designing a modular city block. Here's my first attempt at the first story of an apartments-over-retail thing with apartments over a coffee shop:

e: I haven't bothered rotating all those trees/bushes/whatever properly, but that would be done.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 29, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Moonlight posted:

I really, really wish that the tram part of that city transportation set was sold separately. It looks a lot like the MAX here in Portland, and I think my son would poo poo himself. But I can't justify a hundred bucks for that set.

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=DHCP1121&itemID=18652074

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Here it is. It's not a legal connection as you can see. The headlight brick is pushed out of place a bit, but I suspect it will still work fine.

I wound up having to put 1x1 plates under both headlight pieces anyway to make the minifig fit in the cockpit, so problem averted re: fit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, that's one of the downsides I'm seeing in modern Lego. It seems like a lot of sets use traditional bricks for the under-structure, and then use all sorts of custom, pre-molded shapes for the outer areas.

Obviously not everything is like that, but it's why stuff like the Atlantis line holds zero appeal for me. I was quite happy to find the Green Grocer set I got was pretty much made up of standard brick types.

Whatever, this is awesome

Click here for the full 1771x1467 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Surprise: the penishand was retarded.

Also tore apart that other guy because his legs were totally unstable and made this:

it swims! (not pictured: rear end propellers)