Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Ularg posted:

I have all these legos of various sets and such and.. I suck at building stuff! I sat down with a small tub of legos just going through them and seeing what I can do, and nothing was really clicking.

Help me goons, how did you learn to lego?

You don't really "learn" Lego. There were a few primers in the new OP I think, but the way I do it is just start playing around with parts until something neat occurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Chronojam posted:

It'd suck if they didn't hold up so well, because teeth are the best brick separator known to man

There is only one true brick separator.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=630-1

And buy two.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Not MOC related, but I just picked up one of the new Hero Factory models from Walmart. The villain Meltdown.

Its pretty much Bionicle like was expected, but I'd say the parts are more useful overall, at least with this set. The head could easily become a fighter nosecone or the hilt of a beam saber for a mecha. The green tanks could easily become engine or gun parts. I might not grab the entire line but I might look into getting others.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

I am so sorry.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3529165&CAWELAID=397574506

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Slo-Tek posted:

That is pretty grim. I suppose I ought to pick him up something nice so as to not make it a total bust for birthday-lego.

We enjoyed the hell out of the Lego Stegosaurus last year as a father-son project. Is there anything else that is that cool? If possible I'd like to avoid licensed properties and movie tie-ins. Something big and awesome and not so fiddly that I can't let him do most of the construction would be best. Budget 70$ or so (more if it is as awesome as the stegosaurus)

Any of the Creator line is a sure bet. Ferocious Creatures and Fiery Legend both fall into this category but there are vehicles and houses in this line as well.

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=348&d=70

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

djfooboo posted:

I just saw the flagship Harry Potter set and I must say I am afraid of what that thing is going to cost. 1290 piece, 10 minifig, licensed set. I have no illusions of getting it anyway. I'm hoping people buy the Harry Potter sets like crazy and just stock their bricklink stores with cool colors :3:

I'm thinking of buying some of the Harry Potter sets for the tan and sand green and hock the minifigs on Bricklink. Might be able to make at least a quarter of the price. I have no need for 20 Harry Potter minifigs.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Slashie posted:

Any recommendations for an eight-year-old's first Really Big Set? It seems like building sets come with more guys, but vehicle sets offer more opportunities for pew-pew action. He doesn't seem to be into any of the licensed lines, but that's not a dealbreaker. Except for the Spongebob sets, those are freaky-looking.

I would either go with the City theme or the Creator theme. I cannot recommend Creator more as it one of the best themes out there, price per part and creativity-wise.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

I will have to check out Target as my local TRU had no signs of Series 2 and the employees have no idea about when they are getting new Lego stuff in because apparently a Lego rep does the delivery and stocking of any new arrivals.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

:woop: Went to TRU and found two open but pristine and two unopened boxes of Series 2. The price increase sucks though. $2.99?!

Be lucky, I can't even find one store in my area who stocks them.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Tolstoi posted:

You and me both. I ordered some random ones off of Lego.com earlier this week because I couldn't find any before, but I stopped in today and found all the ones I wanted fairly quick. I guess the rest are going in the Christmas box.

Where the hell are they in Target. I checked the seasonal area, the Lego aisle and around where the yugiho crap is thinking they might put them with the card stuff. Nothing.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

emoltra posted:

It looks like you started building a Metal Gear RAY but gave up v:shobon:v

I do Lego doodles like that all the time. Sometime I use them right away other times I just file it away for later inspiration.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Mr. Kamikaze posted:

I just looked and the cheapest spartan in the USA that isn't part of a super lot will run you $5-6 with all accessories.

It used to be $8-10.

All minifigs at my local Walmart 1.97. They had a full stock so I went hog wild.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Oh god my wallet is going to hate me next year. I now have three Pharohs from the Series 2 minifigs to go along with the new Adventures line. I just need more Spartans to fill up a pre-sunk Atlantis set.

Does anyone know how they will be inventorying Series 3? Have they gotten rid of the barcode? It really doesn't matter as they all look better than Series 2.

Evek fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 28, 2010

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Flavor Bear posted:

Not bad a tall.
I could probably make a quarter of that back by selling the minifigs.

I expect Brinklink to be flooded with Harry Potter minifigs as that is what I will be doing as well.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

InfinEight posted:

That way by the time you have a better selection of colors, you're more confident with different techniques/ideas. So don't be afraid to be a rainbow warrior if you have to, just have fun.

Thats how I prototype a lot of my doodles.

I've started on some early ideas for a mecha and I just want some feedback on the hands(only part I've started messing around with). Crappy cell phones pics ahead.

I made it our of a droid body with the robot arms as fingers. I figured I could attach it to an arm without too much bulk. Any alternatives are welcome.

Click here for the full 1000x598 image.

And some machine pistols for it.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

drat, thats some good prices. Where was that?

I saw a clearance at Wal-Mart for the Hyperspeed Pursuit. The clearance price was $49.96. One cent cheaper than the normal price. Do they really think that will fool anyone?

Edit: gently caress that looks like Wal-Mart price tags. I'm checking out my local one today.

\/\/\/God drat it, stop making we want to buy more Lego sets!

Evek fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2010

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Please tell me thats controlled with the NXT brick in the chest.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

Anyone get the lego advent calander from the lego flyer they mail out? Is it like a lego a day and you build something or can you actually make stuff each day?

Both the City and Castle ones have a small impulse sized, self contained set per day. The Castle one is extremely popular and goes fast so buy it now.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

The Ninjago set is turning out way different than I expected.

:stare:

That's an official set? They are really starting to take cues from AFOLs.

Edit:Just looked at the Eurobricks photos. Is Ninjago some sort of card game/heroclix thing too?

Evek fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 13, 2010

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

AA is for Quitters posted:

Just a heads up-TRU is doing buy one get one 50% off on lego (and transformers!) for black friday/saturday.

...if you want to deal with black friday crowds at TRU.

gently caress that. Buy one get one 50% off sales run all the time. Besides you get VIP points if you buy from Lego stores or Lego.com. I racked up a ton of points last month since I bought what I wanted to get for the year. And no TRU price gouging.

Edit: /\/\/\/\Try places like Borders. They seem to have more than half non-book products. Its sad.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

InfinEight posted:

gently caress this poo poo.

I stood like a goof rooting through the entire bin at Walmart for Series 2 but never again. I'll just grab a few random ones and hope for the best.

gently caress this poo poo indeed.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is it just me or do the new Pharaoh's Quest pieces seem under-priced? Maybe because it's not a licensed product, but the bi-plane set seems like a really good deal (from someone who always wanted but could never justify the Indy plane fight set).

Its pretty much generic Indiana Jones with some of The Mummy thrown in and I'm okay with that. Non-licensed means they have more creative freedom and can charge a sane amount with not much chance of scalpers later on down the road.

I'll be hosed if I'm ever going to pay for an $80 Slave I.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Easy solution: Never use stickers. I don't.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Dr. Platypus posted:

What's going on with the Propeller Power creator set? I saw it all over the place last week, but now it seems to have disappeared everywhere, and is up to forty bucks on amazon. Was it a black friday sale item or something? It's crazy how fast it disappeared.

40 bucks is a scalper's price and its only on backorder, not out of production. Lego Shop@Home says Dec 17.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Fayez Butts posted:

planetary gears!

Thats the standard wheel from the Power Miners line. The gearing is used in an autoturning drill bit.

Also I just picked up some of the Series 3 minifigs. Got a couple doubles due to the harsh lighting in TRU but the dimples are easier to pick out when there is a good shadow along the edge. Managed to get 2 elves. Heads up though as the Samurai seems really cheap quality even compared to the other minifigs.

Evek fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 3, 2010

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Yeah City has always been the introductory theme. No real advanced building techniques have been used like in the other themes. I may pick up a few of the moon buggies for the white diver suit and gold visor.

\/\/\/\/Those aren't really City though.

Evek fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 11, 2010

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Ika posted:

Nope, same here.

Ditto. I have so many extra swords now in dark and light metallic grey.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

MaliciousOnion posted:

So I got Creationary for Christmas, and I'm totally loving it.

I'm wondering if anyone else plays it? They seem pretty popular, but do the hardcore AFOLs play it?

fake edit: Also, the Creationary box advocates sorting by colour.

They play it everytime they mess around with their sorted parts.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Theres a poo poo ton of Pirates of the Caribbean stuff coming out this summer. Hopefully this will jump start the Pirates line again after the last attempt faded away.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Just pulled the trigger on the Maersk Container Ship. I read from a few sources that it does indeed use Maersk Blue so that was pretty much the tipping point for me.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

I have no need for the Slave I but I might pick up the Bounty Hunter ship as its already at reasonable price for SW Lego.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Magnetic North posted:

recidivist - Noun - One who falls back into prior habits.

So, lurking in this thread for a while has made me want to back into Lego. That, and all my friends are getting back into Warhammer; I need to show them the much better tiny men.

I got LDView/MLCad a while back to look at some Mechwarrior creations Thanks to whoever linked that in the last thread. :hawaaaafap:

Now, I probably won't actually pick something up for a while (might use it as a weight-loss reward) but what do you guys think is the best way to get your hands on a big mess of various bricks for not too much? Bricklink will be good when I need something specific, and Lego.com is likewise, and the Basic Bricks Deluxe doesn't seem to have all that many different types.

Any Creator line will do. You'll get a nice assortment of parts at a very reasonable price.

\/\/\/\/Its worth it though when you compare it to its competitors like Super Blox and Best-Lock.

Evek fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 17, 2011

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Flavor Bear posted:

Here is a bunch of stuff from the German toy fair, in case some folks don't read brickset.

Edit -Jesus, definitely watch the last video on the page. It shows Series 5 minifigs.

Oh, Toys N Bricks has a gallery of series 5. Love dat Lumberjack, Jack.

Holy crap that Earth Command Vehicle is badass in Alien Conquest.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

I just posted this in the DNF thread but I figured I'd share it here as well.

He's just looking for an alien toilet to park his Bricks.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Mascot posted:

"Exclusive" does mean that it's only available directly from LEGO...either from shop.lego.com or at a physical LEGO store.

Usually. I bought it off lego.com and built it already. Its pretty plain but it makes a nice showpiece and has the sweet Maersk Blue parts. Its also drat huge.

As for the hair on Duke, I got from it the Agents Goldtooth Getaway set. It also had the gold "handgun". When I saw that set I knew what I had to do.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

So far I've bought 6 Contruct-a-Zerg sets for half price(12 bucks even) at Walmart. I may buy more.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

That shuttle design looks very familiar(not from Star Wars) and its bugging the poo poo out of me where I saw it before. Also that set is a bit too pricey for what it is. I'll probably grab it on a sale.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Lord Commissar posted:

Definitely high swooashability.

I bought two and am planning on a ski-fi moc.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

InfinEight posted:

I love to look at them but I don't have much luck making them either. They tend to be so delicate and flimsy that I keep adding on pieces to make them stronger, and they turn into monsters rather than cute little suits.

I've started making a small mech but I overestimated the arm size so its going to be bigger then I had hoped. Crappy cell phone pics:

Click here for the full 1024x612 image.

Click here for the full 1024x612 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Flavor Bear posted:

I've said it before but I really mean it now; I am never buying another LEGO product at Wal-Mart again. I bought the Pharaoh's Curse Cobra set and the majority of the bricks were all dinged up.
First I got a set that had been opened and returned and was covered in dog hair, then a set that had really flimsy click joints, one of which snapped, and now this.

I would suggest trying Target for your Lego sales. Walmart is not good place to shop for deals anymore as Target is very competitively priced at just a few cents more(Its probably Walmart loving with them and undercutting by that amount). Target also seems to have more rotating sales all year long.

Walmart sucks.