Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I just got back into lego with an (un)fortunate visit to a lego store in January just to check things out, and I bought the new TIE because it looked pretty badass compared to the one I have with blue on it. Prior to that, I had picked up the occasional star wars ship, but hadn't picked up much since about 1994.

Since? I've bought...
The whole Avengers line
New Y-Wing, new X-Wing, new Falcon, Wampa Cave, midi Imperial Star Destroyer
Wolverine's Chopper
New Batmobile and Batwing
Lex Luthor's robot dealie
Queen Anne's Revenge, Black Pearl, and Isla de la Muerta

AND

My wife has bought every Harry Potter set since about 2010, including having to pay a little over retail for the Burrow and Hogwarts Express. Whenever she buys a new set (she got her first LotR set last night, Gandalf's Arrival), she's all "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME"

I think I have a problem :ohdear:

I just built the batwing and lex luthor bot last night, and all pieces involved had pretty impressive construction. I was really worried that the batwing was going to end up not being fun to play with, but compared to the construciton on the old star wars ships that I am used to everything I've bought recently has been really amazing for the most part (midi star destroyer being the extremely delicate exception).

Oh, also I have the newer model Slave I that I got for christmas a couple years ago, and Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship that I raided mostly for guns and is no longer on display because I'm out of space... but the pistols are great star wars heavy blasters (I added a half cylinder piece to the barrel of one to make a good DL44 replica for the Han that flies the Falcon), and the grey pistols that look like clone trooper kit and aren't used in the build have been repurposed into Black Widow's guns.

edit: Oh! I didn't even mention, my wife has a big collection of minifigs on her shelf at work. I should get a picture, but she has a lot of my star wars dupes, a bunch of dupes from Harry Potter sets, and assorted figs from those magnet 3 packs. I think there's probably like 30. They are sometimes arranged into good vs. evil, and occasionally people come by her office asking "is this where the epic battle between good and evil is?"

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Captain Invictus posted:

Having your minifig collection at work is just asking for it to get yoinked by a janitor. I know that's happened to at least one Lego and one Transformer-collecting goons.

For reasons that aren't worth getting into, it's not a concern in this case, but I worried about that too at first.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Voodoo posted:

edit: \/ which does us no good if we don't have a nine-year old set. :colbert:

The new Jabba's palace... unless I'm missing a joke here

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Picked up She'lob Attacks and Urak-hai Army today, and I have to say She'lob is a pretty pro set. She's hanging off one of our living room lamps right now.

Does anyone else have that set? I'm not entirely sure why she has wheels on the bottom. Maybe to set up a different hanging pose, like instead of hanging perpendicular to the ground, totally upside down?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It looked like the one LotR set I would definitely buy, now I'm thinking it might be one that I skip (along with orc forge). Although is one of the hobbits exclusive to it?

Building Urak-hai army got me pumped to build Helm's Deep... now I just need to sell some poo poo to buy it sooner than next payday.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'd take the spare, how much?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can send it in euros in paypal and it charges you an extra .5 or so conversion fee, like I just did.

On that note, 6 moon money sent your way Ika

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Pyroclastic posted:

She should be sending the first sets to me today. After that, though, it's a matter of luck finding more boxes.

Can I get on the list on the off chance that someone drops out? My wife would kill for these.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

VaultAggie posted:

I went to the LEGO store today, helped some people find their series 7 and then bought shelob. The Shelob set is really well designed and the amount of detail is staggering. Gollum is awesome and the hook attachment for shelob is pretty cool; I already startled my cousin with it. :3: Also, the amount of extra pieces I received was crazy. two extra rings and an extra Sting? drat.

That was one of the reasons I got the set! My wife's Harry Potter dupes need a one ring to fight over.

Also I had to take shelob off our living room lamp, it creeped me out too many times. It really evokes a spider. I'm trying to figure out the best venue for the shelob/aragog grudge match, currently.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah my local TRU has an above average selection, but they also have about a 10-20% markup. I recently realized I am throwing away money not using the VIP program so I'm going to start making in person purchases at the Lego store anyhow, and I might start doing that more often since amazon started collecting sales tax in my state...

Also, I tried to attach the wall section from Urak-hai Army to the bridge of Hogwart's and was deeply disappointed to find that the attachment points are at different heights (one brick off). I AM WRITING A STRONGLY WORDED LETTER!!!

Dogen fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 18, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Kvrad posted:

Shelob Attacks and Mines of Moria were my favorite sets in terms of fun and value. Attack on Weathertop felt overpriced, but I needed it to complete the fellowship.

I felt like the mines looked kind of uninteresting aesthetically and didn't seem like a fun playset, what'd you like about it? Because clearly I need Boromir and that cave troll...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Picked up all the bigger LotR sets today, there was a bundle deal on walmart for weathertop and moria and amazon had a dented box helm's deep for 112bux through warehouse deals.

NEXT WEEK WILL BE AWESOME :circlefap: now i have to finally choose what display pieces are going to end up in storage, drat apartment living :smith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

So it's my birthday next week and my parents surprised me with the last current Batman set I didn't have while we were down for a quick visit this weekend

Nananananananana nananananananana

The Batmobile fits through the cave doors that open and close, although it's a bit awkward since the Batmobile's so low to the ground it goes over the ramps a bit funny. Also given recent play feature quality I thought the Bruce Wayne->Batman elevator feature could work a bit smoother, but meh. I really like the chair and how it's cape-friendly, the Batcycle(?) is a fun little build, and Bane's drill (not pictured) is really neat with REAL DRILLING ACTION

In boxes still on our counter: Moria, new Space Shuttle (for wife), and Weathertop, and dented box Helm's Deep is showing up Tuesday :circlefap:

Dogen fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 23, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Rage posted:

Awesome, thank you :)

If you pick up the Interceptor could you let us know how it is? I've seen some pretty glowing reviews and at this point I'm planning on making it my last major purchase until the Hobbit sets come out in Dec (Helm's Deep was waiting at my door when I got home, yesss)

Also, got Desert Skiff and put it together in about 30 minutes and new Lando and new Boba own bones. I say this as someone who has a 2010 Boba, I really like the black lightsaber handle as a blaster extension but the improvement in detail is even more impressive. I would like to have seen some kind of cape+hood option for Luke, but maybe that's covered in Jabba's Palace or something? I don't really plan on picking up any Star Wars playsets, so I dunno.

Also looking at my old janky TIE and X-Wing at work, it's crazy how much Lego has improved the last few years.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 24, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Picked it up today with a steam cleaner (thanks walmart for allowing me to get both these things in one place), so it should show up pretty soon. I noticed in one of the reviews that it's like, the same size as the new X-Wing. For the price I was kind of thinking it would be bigger, and I think scale-wise when compared to the other ships it's definitely supposed to be (it's a transport of some kind, really), but ah well.

Some speculate that it's due to SWTOR being extra license money on top of SW, but I dunno.

Helm's Deep is pretty badass and I really need to find somewhere to put it other than the top of the bookshelf because it's hard to see unless you are standing (or if you are short). I wish they had made the wall from the set transition to the section from Urak-hai more smoothly, but it still looks pretty good. Also could've used another cavalry dude (Eomer is charging with Theoden, oh well) and some sort of generic Rohan soldier (I just have the archer dude from the Urak-hai army set).

edit:

So, the spider-man set is alright, I do like the lab build and the minifigs, but the mandatory vehicle is lovely and the rear axle just pops off if you look at it wrong. Not too surprising considering there aren't really enough parts to it for stability, but still disappointing. Maybe could've used a different axle design. I do like the old-style TIE canopy as some kind of weird bioscanner, though, and the blue colored pieces are really nice.

edit2:

Oh hello

:911: :patriot: :911:

My wife got this a few weeks ago and put it together with the help of her cousin last night. Of course I got to help some as well, mostly putting together the pad and the booster/fuel tank and a bit of the shuttle. There are some pretty complex bits to the shuttle apparently, some things like the retractable landing gear slowed them down a lot. Stuff I put together was super straight forward, the fuel tank took a little bit due to a lot of corner cheese slope decoration, but the boosters were almost all cylinder and went by lightning fast.

I am looking forward to having some space adventures with SW ships. Lex Luthor has already attacked the launch pad.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 29, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Me too! The gold medal for spookiness goes to Deustchland!

edit:

Big Ben, Little Ben, :ghost:

:iia:

Dogen fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 31, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Kazy posted:

Is it weird that I love the chainsaw? I like how it's a few pieces instead of a single piece for the handle and then the blade.

Looks the same as how they build the hand held repeating blaster in SW

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Anyone picked up the other SWTOR ship, the Republic Strike Fighter? I was looking for something to pick up with a gift card I got for my birthday and some VIP points and ended up picking it out off the Lego site. It looks really badass, now I just have to wait for it to come smartpost :sigh:

I got the T6 Shuttle today since it was on sale for only 40bux, and it was actually a fun little build and now the Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship has something to play with. Of course, I immediately threw Anakin in the jail cell of the Halo, heh.

The Minifigs that the T6 comes with that aren't Anakin and Obi-Wan are actually pretty cool as well. Also I like how the cockpit is held in place by technic and this is considered an "escape pod" :laugh:

I was worried about the rotating cockpit thing because I really hated the TIE Defender from a little while back and the B-Wing from much longer ago, but this build is like a whole large gear that sits in place until you physically move it, but does move without much resistance... so much better job than on the B-Wing, Verpine engineers.

Also, wife finally caved into Olympic temptation after watching hours of Olympics every day and picked up a set of the minifigs off ebay, shipping from UK though so who knows when they'll get here.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The sarlacc pit is pretty boss, I came for 2012 Boba and Lando Guard but stayed for the model. The flipping gangplank thingy is pretty cool, the only ding I would give it is for not having extensive railing, which given the size is a reasonable concession probably. Also more heavy blaster pistols never hurt anyone.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

That desert skiff looks almost exactly like the last one that they released.

I think the only comparable modern one was part of the desert barge set

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Jesus gently caress I need to get the remnants of my stuff from childhood sold, is that a reasonable price for such things? I have the moon and airport monorail in there, old star wars, blacktron base, some space police poo poo, one ice planet thing, probably most of a black seas barracuda... I didn't realize just bulk lego would go for so much.

Anyway, I put together the Sith Fury today and it was kinda lackluster. The build itself was ok until around the second wing (this is not atypical of symmetrical spaceship builds, of course), but upon completion I just... wasn't all that impressed. It seems fragile (I managed to knock several pieces off one wing securing it with the final technic pin) and... smallish, I guess. Also not the most swooshable thing. Lots of bits secured by a technic pin or two feel kinda floppy on the wings, reminscent of the TIE/d.

On the other hand, all the minifigs are pretty cool, I like the cockpit layout with the swiveling instrument panel, and I like to imagine the bay with the Sith troopers allows them to hot drop onto a planet, so that is cool. It will be interesting when the Striker shows up next week if I end up liking it better because it wasn't really on my radar at all until I was just looking for something moderately priced to pick up with gift card+vip credit on the lego store online.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Pyroclastic posted:

If you part out the individual sets, especially for things like the Blacktron base and the monorails, you'd get even more.
I'd be interested in the Blacktron base (if it's the black & yellow one, not Blacktron 2) and the space monorail.

It is indeed the black and yellow one.

I have the sense that a lot of parts are missing (from everything), so I'm not sure if people are generally cool with that or not. Also since everything is in my childhood bedroom closet in another city, there will be a bit of lag before I can check into it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well, I know the motor for space monorail is in there, and I saw the battery compartment for airport monorail, but like I said who knows what all's in there as it's been through one move. We'll see what it looks like next time I get down there. Also for sure a lot of track, and some switching dealies (make the car change direction/stop), etc. I did see the larger plates with that blacktron logo on it and also the somewhat beat-up manual for the base. Also the manual for the barracuda, though oddly I couldn't find a hull piece. I suspect my ex brother in law probably stole some stuff from me, as well. But if I can get crazy money from managing to sort it out, we shall see.

edit: I just figured out what the stupid flag/rudder piece below the cockpit of the Fury is, I think-- I think it's supposed to be a boarding ramp, which going along with the control panel that slides out of the way for boarding is kind of cool.

vvv I think it's only one set, I seem to remember it was a larger vehicle that maybe had a smaller one inside some kind of bay? I think it partly traveled on skids and there is definitely a blue and orange chainsaw in there somewhere.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 3, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Do we have to order from somewhere in particular to get him?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Do you have an X wing and a Falcon to reenact the end of Ep 4? I'm thinking I need a second TIE/ln now...

edit: woo the republic striker was in my mailbox when I got home! Brick-built droid, some kinda trooper with a brick-built blaster, and a lady jedi with a double-bladed lightsaber figs. The model itself is pretty cool, although very light and maybe a bit fragile if one were to drop it, though it is not awkward to play with. I like the unique controls in the cockpit, the transforming feature works well, and I think it all around looks cool, although I could see how the dark red/brown/orange/white color scheme could turn people off. It's like some kind of funky Z-95/A-wing hybrid.

Also apparently 3500 years before original star wars they were making the same lovely cockpits that go on the x-wing and y-wing

Dogen fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 5, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

We rearranged the office last weekend, which has inspired me to present "what happens when you suddenly get a job after being in school for 7 years", or alternate title "the lighting in my office is terrible"

I don't want to clutter up the thread too much, so the rest are in this album

http://imgur.com/a/NL9lj

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Aye we replaced our lovely Billy shelves when we moved into this place. DVD and blu ray were moved to the bottom shelves for better display of Legos up top. Works pretty well for small playsets and medium vehicles, but the quinjet doesn't fit for instance.

If you look at the album you'll see most of Harry Potter 2010-2011 sets spread over the top of of two 2x2 expedits, which is great compared to where LotR sets are relegated to. Figure we'll probably get more expedits when we get a house in a year or two.

Highly recommended! They are super sturdy.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mega bloks got exiled from the lego aisle of my Target with the new shipment of summer sets. Huzzah! A whole aisle of lego purity!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Picked up the Pre Vizsla Mando fighter at lunch today, the seating arrangement looks a little uncomfortable. Also I figured the black lightsaber looking dealy was some kind of cortosis club or something, but apparently there's a black bladed lightsaber running around in that clone wars series.

The wings seem a bit wobbly, they're held in by 6 technic pins but are soooo long. Other than that the ship is pretty cool I guess. The use of the ball joint to rotate the body instead of that big gear piece separates it pretty well from the T6.

Oh, and Pre Viszla comes with his own sand colored Joker hairpiece, which I can't wait to try out on so many different other figs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Colonial Air Force posted:

There's also the Hogwart's Express, but it's not really any cheaper.

It's the only train we currently have, and people say it's crap compared to the likes of the Emerald Night, especially because it doesn't use proper steam train wheels and bits. My wife just likes it for Harry Potter related reasons, and the Anglia that came with it sits nicely by The Burrow.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They don't have patent protection, so what would they sue over? I think the whole kit would have to be a rip off of a Lego kit, then you could get copyright protection.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If they said "Lego" then yeah that would be a trademark problem. On copyright it would be eligible for protection, but I don't know how similar they would have to be (idea-expression dichotomy). You can't protect the idea of a block built train, but you can't exactly copy it. Not sure where that line would be in this hypo.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Olympic minifigs finally showed up, but my wife just had surgery so she hasn't been in the mood to open them although she graciously offered to let me do so, but I don't want to because they're hers.

I did grab Sassee Tin's starfighter and Anakin's interceptor, which are both pretty good builds. I like having a SW craft that actually has real landing gear all around (starfighter), and the interceptor looks really great from the top and sides, though the bottom and rear of it... not so great. But also having the better looking Obi-Wan and Anakin figs is nice (the clone wars ones I have freak me out).

I am starting to trawl my local craigslist to find people selling no longer available kits... WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Why does the zombie have a walkie-talkie? Or I guess a briefcase, for that matter...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's some sort of cultural commentary, like all good zombie movies. How could I have been so blind?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

As I recall they're loose in the box... so maybe the box came open or something? Who knows, at least Lego is good about replacing that stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Log082 posted:

See, I always tried to keep my set separate, but they would always be gradually modified.
"Ok, this awesome train needs a crane to lift cargo. And the truck needs a railgun to fight dinosaurs. Actually, let's retrofit one of the train cars to carry a ballistic missile (made from one of the engine pods of a Y-Wing.)"
And so on until everything was mashed up together.

This is why all of my legos are spread across 5 containers in my old bedroom at my parents' house and I can't really tell what all is still there except for recognizable large pieces of some sets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

youareoffthehook posted:

September 1st!

We got a ton of them yesterday, so I think we will have enough. No idea about other stores though.

Anything else new going on sale then? :allears:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

einTier posted:

I so want to build that synchropter alternate build.

But I've got a couple grand in half price LEGO piled up in my living room right now, so until I can get that sold, I'm tapped out.

On that note I was trying to PM you, but your box is full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Got the UCS X-Wing at the store today, Hoth Han is awesome. Finished the fuselage in between doing a lot of other poo poo today, 5 bags down and 5 bags of hopefully not boring wings and engines to go.