Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was really disappointed in the PAB selection at my LEGO store. Granted, it was a 'LEGO outlet' so I don't know if it differs from other stores. I managed to get a full PAB cup the first time, but the second trip I couldn't even be compelled to fill up the smallest container. Worst selection of bricks ever.

I was so proud of my little girl. She put together SpongeBob's house all by herself. I really need to stop buying stuff on Bricklink and save up for one of those huge sets like the department store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There are Lego...outlets? As in Lego at a discount price from the source? :aaa:

I must know where one is.

It's called a LEGO Outlet (located in Georgia at Discover Mills), but I've never noticed anything terribly cheap. The only things discounted are keychains. I imagine they've got bins of Mutt keychains for 50% off at most LEGO stores.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Carbohydrates posted:

This is for you.

http://www.mechanizedbrick.com/mb.html

drat, I want those step-by-step instructions - but $40?

I need to build some tanks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

InfinEight posted:

I've had a lot of payment offers if I would make instructions for my rex, but I kinda feel the same. I'd rather share instructions freely when possible.

If the instructions are as detailed as they seem then I can't really fault him for charging. I might even buy them if I can get him to throw in his Huey instructions from Series 2 with the Series 1 set.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm not even going to try and find minifigs this time. I spent about $70 and ended up with a half dozen ninjas and crash test dummies.

I'll just buy the ones I want a la carte and spend a whole lot less.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Robot Hobo posted:

At Christmas I got a Lego set, and my Mom kept stealing parts while I was building it, making little random things.

Her birthday was Monday, so I got her the 7639 City Camper. Lime green is her favorite color, so I knew she would like the trim. Since the two figures that came with it look vaguely like me and my Wife, I also custom-made three more minifigs at the Lego store that looked like my parents and little brother, to add to the set. (they even come in a nifty little blister-pack)

Sure enough, she got that box open right away and everything else stopped while she built the camper. She's always been hard to shop for when Birthdays or Christmas came around, but not anymore.

My Dad's birthday is next. I think I'll find him another Lego city set to match hers.

The City Camper is awesome. It's my daughters favorite set.

Crap, walked all the way to Target and no minifigs. Didn't even find an empty section in the toys or seasonal stops.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Not too thrilled with the Series 3 choices, although I might have to grab a few just to get those two cool new baseball caps.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey, something new in the CITY line:

I would have preferred a black limo, though.

Carbohydrates posted:

IMO, you want shadows. Helps avoid the 'floating in a void of nothingness' effect. Here's a lego thing and a non-lego thing. These were shot on a piece of white foamboard with natural indirect lighting, no flash.

And here I was hoping those guns were really bitching LEGO creations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

Got 12 of the 16 no spartan, disco dude, dracula or skier. Have an over abundance of cops and circus dudes. Not sure what I'm going to do with all the minifigs now that they are assembled and on a plate.

You did better than me. I grabbed 4 at Toys R Us and ended up with 2 lion tamers. Ugh...

I did get the Hoth Wampa set on sale though. The snow speeder is a fun build.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Why are we kidding ourselves. Cars 2 is coming out in 2011 and LEGO is gay for Disney.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gravy Jones posted:

They launched the DUPLO Cars line this year. I'd be suprised if they were going to do a LEGO range as well.

I'm suprised it took so long. Cars is a merchandise juggernaut. I mean the movie isn't as beloved as most of Pixar's stuff but it churns out an insane amount of money. Pre-Toy Story 3 it was the most profitable Pixar film when you took merchandsing into account. Not sure if Toy Story 3 will top it, but either way Cars 2 will get the crown back. I think it suprises a lot of people just how ridiculously popular Cars is.

My nephews were saying Cars was their favorite movie before it even came out. You didn't even need a movie, just lots of merchandising.

And it's bonus for LEGO because you don't need to include any mini-figs!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of LDD, I'm trying to play around with the software in hopes of reverse engineering some of the more difficult models. But I'm not finding many LDD files out there except on LEGO's website, which are relatively simple. Do people not usually post their LDD files on MOCpages and other sites?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

No, and for the same reason most people don't usually post instructions to their builds. I understand the need for inspiration, but there are people within the community (not that I'm implying you're one of them :) ) who just steal creations whole cloth, and a lot of people want to avoid that sort of thing.

It just seems odd on the digital side not to post it. I can see someone guarding their IP with a real life build though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PopeOnARope posted:

Welp, the sumo wrestler is clearly going to be the crash test dummy of this set. Bland figure, duplicate, meaningless accessory. Everything else looks awesome though.

I dunno, he has that Japanese hair bun going on and that bare chested gut really adds an air of realism to any future trailer park MOCs.

The baseball player looks great if only for the hat. Does anyone know what his jersey says?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or do the new Pharaoh's Quest pieces seem under-priced? Maybe because it's not a licensed product, but the bi-plane set seems like a really good deal (from someone who always wanted but could never justify the Indy plane fight set).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phyresis posted:

Say what? That cobra is not worth $30. It's 200-odd pieces. That is like a $24-25 set. The Sphinx is too much too. Mascot and I were guessing the prices of the sets before we found 'em. I guessed $20 for the cobra and $40 for the sphinx. GG.

I guess I was looking at everything from the bi-plane on down. The more expensive sets really didn't interest me. I did get the bi-plane last night and it's a short, but good build. The plane is really well put together.

Jeez, at the TRU last night they had half a rack still dedicated to Prince of Persia. At some point they're going to have to unload that stuff cheap because no one's buying it otherwise.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I know it wasn't much of a deal, but I paid the TRU markup on the Sonic Boom and a Toy Story set for daughter in order to score a minifig USB drive. Whoohoo.

I was looking for an excuse to pick up the Sonic Boom anyway. I also picked up a Best-Lock for shits and giggles (the minifig looks so drat sad). That crap isn't even worth ironically making fun of it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Blew both my Christmas and birthday gift allotments on a Grand Emporium. Pretty awesome, except there's always that moment when you pull out the base piece and it's like, "it's this small?" For some reason 2000+ LEGO pieces seem like they should take up a whole lot more space.

Also spent about 4 hours yesterday trying to organize LEGO pieces by color and shape. I am in dire need of more storage.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My 10 year old daughter had a sleepover and LEGO party last week where she and all her friends watched Soul Surfer and then proceeded to re-enact the movie with LEGO shark, surfer girl, and a missing arm.

And yet LEGO thinks girls want pink bricks and figures without interchangeable body parts. Girls want to accessorize!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That link to the Terra Cotta LEGO men got me wondering who out there is making custom pieces. I know Brickarms and Brickforge, but are there any others?

Marchegiana posted:

I always hated girlie Lego. I think when I was nine one of my relatives heard I liked Lego and bought me some girly set, I can't remember what. I returned it and used the refund to buy more Castle stuff. All the stuff that Lego has made to try and win over girls has always been laughably bad. If they really want to sell more to girls, all they need to do is include more female minifigs in the regular sets. I know I always went out of my way to get castle sets with princesses in them (even though they were lame), and when Pirates first came out I about flipped my lid at the girl pirate.

Speaking of pirates, I got my girls two small Pirates of the Caribbean sets. You know the ones that are just excuses to get 4 mini-figs. And what was my oldest the most excited about? Elizabeth Swan's hair. It's all about the hair.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Revol posted:

LEGO Shop exclusive set: 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van. 1332 pieces for $100 dollars, coming out October.

There are high-resolution Flickr photos. Looks pretty cool, the interior is really detailed. I see a few new pieces, beginning with the VW emblem on the front, which can't be a sticker because the logo is raised a bit.

Well, I know what I'm asking for this Christmas.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how to make the LEGO log pieces fit horizontally rather than vertically? I could have sworn I saw a method, but I can't find it now.

I guess these were made for fort walls, but they'd be great for a log cabin.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Baggins posted:

5 plates = 2 studs.

I'm having a real difficult time visualizing how that will work on a log cabin, but I will try it - thanks.

Taeke posted:

I just bought the Alien Conquest tripod, and I'm loving the eyeball piece. I wish I had more and/or they were available in cheaper sets. Might be the first piece(s) I'm going to buy seperately.

Do you mean the laser ball socket thingy?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I will be surprising my 11 and 6 year old with LEGOLAND Orlando tickets for Christmas (we're going the first of January). It's just a regular amusement park with a LEGO theme right? I had a tough time figuring out if there was anything that'd make it stand out from say, Disneyworld (where we're also going).

I'm hoping the PAB selection is better than the LEGO store near here.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My daughter spent her birthday money wisely and just finished building her Village Mill Raid about 3 hours after it arrived.

It's a pretty neat build. Lots of features, but not too complex. This makes 2 big sets that's she's completed without any help. If only she liked space sets, I'd enroll her in LEGO MBA.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That was a great set. A friend's kid came over and wrecked the poo poo out of mine, but maybe eventually I'll find all the pieces to build the prop plane.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So I take my kid to the Legoland Discovery that just opened up and in the store I see this:

Not only are the Pick a Brick bins empty, but they're filled with LEGO branded stuffed animals. What manner of faggotry is this?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Friends line is decent in that it might appeal to a girl who doesn't already have a brother (or father) buying LEGO. My daughter and her friends love playing with LEGO, but they all have a male in the house who introduced them to it. Without that incentive, it's going to be really tough competing with other girl toys.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ever since I got Loki, I've been trying to think of something to do with his helmet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me, but...well, this happened."

That mass of boring grey pieces, that's apparently a Star Destroyer. The rest is probably several thousand assorted pieces that found their way from some old guy's attic to my brother and now to me. I've sorted about a 3rd of it and found a very good Lego to Mega Block ratio.

Also some pirate ships.

Does anyone have any idea what set these are from? My 7 year old isbatshit crazy about building these but I'm not sure what set it is. I know there's been about a dozen different pirate ships.

I think I need to invest in one of those Lego piece sifting trays...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Merchant of Death posted:

That is indeed the bridge area of the 10030 star destroyer, if you have it complete it is pretty impressive even if the magnets to hold the 4 hull sections together can be somewhat irritating.

I was told it was complete (and built) but that it fell apart in its transport. But doesn't the 10030 Star Destroyer had something like 3000 parts? This certainly isn't all of it unless there's more that I haven't yet uncovered.

I did notice some magnets while I was searching so maybe it's all included. Did it have a power source of any kind? I've got a switch, motor, and battery pack in the assorted bunch.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

einTier posted:

Having just gone through this, your first place to stop is Bricklink.

Most of the larger pieces should have a part number on them somewhere. It'll be small, but that hull should have the number 2557 on it, which you can then search on to find this page which will then show you that it was in exactly one set -- Skull's Eye Schooner. From there you can also get an inventory to make sure you have all the pieces. If you don't have them, you can always order them from vendors on Bricklink -- and my experience is that about 10% of the pieces will be missing if you're lucky, more if you're not.

Now that you have the pieces, you want to build it. I usually just search for "[set number] LEGO instructions pdf" on Google with no quotes. Using that, I found the PDF for that set here. Peeron usually has instructions but not in PDF : example. LEGO also provides instructions through their search page, but only for a few sets.

That'll get you started on completing the sets you have. The hardest part is figuring out the most economical way to order missing parts through Bricklink.

[edit]
That's definitely parts to the 10030 Star Destroyer. There's a small assembly in your photos that directly corresponds to the riser structure just behind the bridge in this photo.

3108 pieces, so it's certain all the pieces are not in that box. The three Light Gray wheels that make the engines on the back you need to find for certain, as there's none currently available for sale on Bricklink. You could cheat with Light Bluish Gray, but it won't quite match, won't be worth as much, and those still will cost you $13 each. Nothing else looks particularly rare or expensive at first glance.

However, if you can piece it together, you can probably sell it for over $650 on eBay. I consistently get better than Bricklink Average Pricing. For example, I just sold this set for $202.50 on eBay.

PDF of the instructions here.

Awesome, thanks for all that info. On second thought this looks like the whole thing (or close to it). 3000 pieces always seems like it should take up more space.

I'm now in the process of separating and bagging all the parts to rebuild it. If I can complete it I may look at reselling the set, but first things first.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I am pulling my hair out building a knock-off block set for the Battleship Yamato from Star Blazers. The design and directions are terrible and I can’t put one part together without the whole thing collapsing with any amount of sustained force/pressure. You don’t appreciate the engineering involved in a LEGO set until you deal with other building blocks. This is what the set looks like finished so yeah, RIP my sanity. The bastard doesn’t even come with a proper base.

The solution is gluing a significant amount of this together. Any suggestions on a glue that’s strong enough to bind the pieces, but weak enough to use a heat gun on in case I accidentally glue together something I need to take apart later? I’m afraid superglue might be too much and Elmer’s too little. Maybe Gorilla Glue? I’ve never had to do this to a set before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MarxCarl posted:

I've used Elmers white glue, just soak the pieces in water and scrub and it should come off. The Gorilla is for stuff you don't want coming apart.

Elmer’s it is then. I don’t really know how much extra structural integrity I need, but it’s definitely more than what this set has naturally.