Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Using BrickArms stuff is just as bad as using MegaBloks. :colbert:

MegaBloks never seemed to fit quite right with lego pieces. I think that's why I don't have MegaBloks. Brickarms stuff fits well with lego pieces. In addition, they tend to make pieces that Lego doesn't. I really like the bandoliers and holsters put out by Brickforge.:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

A funny thing I noticed in regards to Lego and Brickarms is that years ago, Lego didn't make guns for their Star Wars line. Minifigs that had guns used megaphone pieces with round trans red bits on the end. Brickarms came along and produced Star Wars guns. I think at the time they called them space guns, but they were definitely Star Wars blasters. Now Lego produces Star Wars weapons that look like guns instead of stand ins. It seems to me that Brickarms got Lego to produce Star Wars guns instead of a stand in. Maybe that's not the case, but its an coincidence otherwise.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Saw a post on reddit where the #60002 firetruck is showing up at some Target stores for $6.. supposed to be marked at $19.

Looks like this hit the internet yesterday so the prices are probably getting fixed already but if you're out and about it might be worth a pass-through.

Thanks for mentioning this, I picked up a fire truck at the $6 price. That was yesterday, so they may not have changed things yet.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Electrophotonic posted:

This. I recently got a bunch of good deals from German sellers who were obviously lying about only shipping to Germany, and my classic space collection is growing (only to be torn down).

I'm setting myself up for some serious MOCing.

Edit:
Speaking of space, I stumbled across this PDF recently. I have no idea where it's from and honestly I haven't bothered investigating, but it seems it may be an internal LEGO magazine. It offers some really interesting insight into the design process of those classic themes and HOLY poo poo UNRELEASED THEMES

I think this is an article from Brickjournal magazine. The formatting looks similar.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

I've started buying bootleg lego from Aliexpress too. Over all I'm happy with what I've recieved.

Minifigure quality varies.

The Darth Malgus minifig I got has stiff arm joints and the hands, but otherwise looks good. (I don't have a real minifig to compare though).

I took a chance on minifig weapons. These are rip offs of Brick Arms/Brick Forge weapons. The quality on these is really good. I was missing one piece, but it wasn't a big deal.

I bought a set of legos to check on the quality, an Imperial mini-walker The pieces of this set hold together well and everything was included. I compared one of the minifig guns included with the set with the same design from a regular lego set. They're nearly identical. There were only a couple minor differences between them. The minor differences was nothing more then different writing stamped on them. Without looking closely, you can't tell the fake from the original. The minifig that came with this set has an issue with the body and legs not staying attached well. Good set otherwise.

When the set of weapons turned out good, I tried buying some Minifig shields and torso covers The pieces are high quality and just as good as regular lego pieces. It doesn't seem like the store has them in stock, but I've seen similar products for sale.

Just today I got an unprinted lego figure. I ordered just one to check on the quality. The quality on the one I ordered was good.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

McDragon posted:

Lepin always makes me think of rabbits.

It'd be cool if they did rip-off things of exclusive con doodads. And do their own pick a brick thing but in colour/piece combinations lego don't do. And those cool marbled ones. Just stuff normal lego doesn't do.

I wish Lepin and the other companies producing sets would do more things like this. Also it would be nice if they produced sets that are no longer being produced.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

So, with the Saturn V on the way and the out of print Shuttle Expedition rather expensive... I think it's time to try Lepin.

Lepin already has the Saturn V out for sale.

I tend to check Aliexpress shops for new minifigs for sale and I've been seeing the Saturn V rockets showing up now.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

I saw that, but my own rule is only ordering knock offs of out of print sets. Plus mine is already in the post.

Unfortunately they don't do much of that, which is a shame.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Lego's rage inducing SDCC exclusive minifigs continue this year.

If you really want the minifigure, there's another option:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...0608.0.0.uKzEVG

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

djfooboo posted:

Ordering my first Lepin on Friday because drat if I'm paying 350 for a loving princess castle. Wish me ruck.

When you're ordering a knock off lego product from China, you're likely to get some problems with the bricks. Nothing major though, maybe a couple of parts aren't perfect or missing. You pay less and the quality is less.

Personally, I don't buy a lot of bootleg lego sets. Only because my lego spending is limited. What I do buy a lot of are the bootleg minifigs. Most of the ones I've ordered are nearly indistinguishable from regular lego minifigs. Rarely the figs won't be so good, but the cost is usually less than a dollar, so I can put up with a few bad figures. Also you can buy all sorts of minifigs that lego doesn't make, such as the xenomorph from the movie Alien, the Predator from the Predator movie, and GI Joe figs based on the 80's action figures.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Shawn posted:

Anyone else hitting F5 on walmart? Deal is live at 3am EST apparently.

I find out about the 60th anniversary set and look it up about 4am and its out of stock already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Lepin gotta make a buck somehow because they've been losing lawsuits against Lego. Of course they're going to go exploit the people who can't afford to sue them.

Lego might have won those lawsuits, but good luck getting China to enforce copyright protection.