Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Sham I Am posted:

I am curious as to how much you guys tend to spend on this hobby a year?

Trying to stay under $800 this year, which is almost certainly pretty light compared to a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

3 posted:

Counterpoint.

Yeah, but he worked his rear end off to earn that right. When you have a gallery like his, you can cheat too.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Tom Ripley posted:

Do employees ever look at you guys strangely for buying like $5000 worth of legos? Of course I imagine it happens all the time...

...nobody actually does that in a single trip, do they?

I did have a discussion with a clerk one time about the guy that had been ahead of me in line. He had been trying to save up enough VIP points to get a 10188 Death Star, so he had been in the store every week for months buying random sets he didn't even actually want. "That way, he gets the death star for free :rolleyes:."

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone got me watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it rekindled memories of seeing Avatar Lego sets. Am I correct in that there were only two sets released? The Air Temple and Fire Nation Ship?

This is correct, drat them, but on the bright side it's forcing me to build my own Appa. The figs are ridiculous, but if you want them and you see an Aang, grab it, he's hard to find. But to hell with spending $25 on Momo.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 25, 2010

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

PalmTreeFun posted:

...the brick colors are incredibly limited...
My point is, anyone know of a better piece of software?

Either turn on universe mode (its in the OP), or learn to use LDRAW and MLCAD, which will take you even longer to build until you really get used to the program. LDD is, by far, the easiest-to-use Lego CAD tool there is.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
LEGO thread, I need your help. This

is supposed to look like this

or this,but the head is kicking my rear end. Keeps ending up either too big or completely unrecognizable. Any chance some enterprising individual just had a flash of inspiration they'd be willing to share?

Oh, hey, I don't think I ever posted the completed Appa in this thread.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

afflictionwisp posted:

Any chance some enterprising individual just had a flash of inspiration they'd be willing to share?

Y'all are no drat help whatsoever, but there's plenty of time for you to redeem yourselves, 'cause this moc is quickly getting out of control.

InfinEight posted:

If you like Lego and Carl's Jr., then I have good news!

These are funny as hell!

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Shuppiluliumas posted:

What's the specific issue?

I can't get the heads of the lion-turtle statues to look right. I've gotten close:

I'm ok with not having the ears, they're too small, but the eyes and the nose just don't look right. Getting rid of the 1x1 slopes and just using plates for the eyes makes the face too flat. It's a lot of detail in a small space, but there must be something I can do.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
What is going on in this video? Clearly it's magnets, but how the hell are they getting the cars to make such tight turns, or move at all?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I'm very frustrated right now with whatever asian jerk decided, hundreds of years ago, to come up with this style of roof, because it is singularly obnoxious to try and get right in lego. drat courtyard has been stalled for a week on it, but I'm finally getting close to something that can work.

Now I still have the inside corners to do :cry:

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 5, 2010

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I do not understand why the big ostrich-bot has boobs and glowing nipples, but the little duck-bot is smug as gently caress.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

MrFrosty posted:

I really loving love your creations. You don't by any chance actually work for LEGO do you?

wasn't mine.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

Finally, this piece is new to me:

Is it a plate? A brick? A bracket? Who knows! What's the part number? I thought it would be under Plate, Modified on bricklink, but it's not, and Peeron doesn't have an inventory for the set.

\/ \/ dammit, I always miss things when they use a red piece for the thumbnails.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 12, 2010

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

Saloon
God drat, that's pretty.

In other news, I finally finished this design:

and the rest

30,000 pieces, I'm never doing anything that big again. The big poo poo sure is fun to look at, but, gently caress me, just designing it was an ordeal, I can't imagine the pain of actually building something that size.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

So what's the ldd price tag come to on that?

hahaha, i was going to let it run overnight just to see, but using the buyability tool on that model causes an exception in OpenGL and the program crashes. I just found out that LDD has a safe mode that is so hosed up, I can't even create a new model.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

afflictionwisp, does that bad boy have an interior, or are you sick of working on it?

I had considered doing the interior, but it is never shown in the show, and I had enough trouble conceptualizing something this big without worrying about that, so no interior. Also, I'm sick of working on it.

3 posted:

What did you use to render that? Last I checked, LDD doesn't show individual bricks as well as in those screenshots.

LDview. Theres this .XML file that makes LDD a little more capable of exporting parts. It has its own problems with alignment on some pieces, and some of the file names are wrong, but there's enough there to fix certain pieces if you want to edit the original file by hand.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
What are the long wedge pieces? I can't figure them out. And what in blazes are the 'ears' connected to?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
For those of us with more ambition than money, LDD 4 is out. The new shader effects are a little disappointing, it doesn't look right on large models, but the color pallet has been expanded quite a bit. And the flex tool is awesome and easy-to-use:

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

MOCs

poo poo, dude, where have you been? These are great.

downfall posted:

Anyone else feel that way?

Exactly the opposite, to the point where I don't enjoy just sitting down with a pile of random bricks nearly as much as I used to.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Replace 'sketch' with 'rapid prototyping in LDD', and I'm with you right up until

downfall posted:

...and order however many of each I think I might need...Half the time it doesn't even work

If you have that much disposable income, more power to you, but if I'm spending money I need to know that it's going to work.

Your fun comes from the construction, my fun is more about the design work - the challenge of developing a technique to achieve the shape I want. My relatively meager collection renders a lot of things impossible. Freed from that limitation, I can let myself go nuts.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

AA is for Quitters posted:

How do I get that little kid creativity back?

Try to find inspiration in something instead of just randomly tinkering. I like this site.

So, I'm still all giddy over the LDD update (they really improved the handling of large numbers of parts, my courtyard moc took over two minutes to open in 3, takes about 30 seconds in 4). Then I notice this:

loving FINALLY! The list of reasons for me to use MLCAD is now one line item shorter.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I'm in love with this Moldy Crow that showed up on MOCpages today and hasn't gotten nearly enough attention. It's a simpler build than some of the other ones out there, but the builder still got all the important details right. Just a great looking, clean, solid build. I'm seriously tempted to copy it, I can barely stand Star Wars anymore, but loving God how I love that ship.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

That thing is so Star Wars-y that every single Star Wars thing created since Return of the Jedi isn't even half as Star Wars-y as that thing. Am I making sense here?

Except for the part where you ignored Dark Forces.

\/ assumed he was talking about the model and not the ship, but point taken. i'll just go back to fallout for a while.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 21, 2010

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
This is one of the most sickeningly detailed buildings I've ever seen. Look at the entire set, everything about it, interior and exterior, is just perfect, it doesn't even look like Lego.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I can't be the only one getting sick of these minifigs. With series 1, it was something different, and I kind of thought it would be neat to see this as an annual thing, but this is just crazy. Do we know how many series they are planning?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I've been suffering from a complete lack of inspiration ever since completing my last CAD model, so I haven't had much to contribute here lately. But I haven't done a space ship for a while and I finally found the ambition to slap together a few things from my ideas folder. It's coming together nicely enough that I wanted to show off a work-in-progress. Still need to finish the cockpit and the undercarriage. Really wish those 1x10 curved slopes came in more colors, though.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Hurray, I finished something! This is the last goddamn time I build something with white and black, I hate my camera.

more

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Echoing what ApathyGifted said, except

ApathyGifted posted:

Lego Digital Designer: ...The parts selection is limited to what's currently being produced...

This is completely untrue. Enable universe mode and a lot more parts become available to you, including a lot of discontinued parts. Still not as big as the LDRAW library, but it's less of an issue. I disagree about the interface in LDD being clunky, it's just highly simplified to be accessible to younger users. LDD is a triumph of usability, you can pick it up and learn all it's functions in about half an hour.

MLCAD is much more robust, but the interface is dated, and it's much more difficult to learn.

SR3D is a nice middle ground between them, but it still has a long way to go - the interface is pretty buggy, and the camera gives me motion sickness for some reason.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Sticklebricks :allears:

I had to look this up, but I remember those things, god, they were awful.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

I wish there were more pictures of it, including the interior. I would imagine that as detailed as the outside is, the inside is even more so.

I hope not, a finished interior would be too much to handle. I don't think the first one had an interior, either. Sweet god that thing is amaz

Mike Doyle posted:

Approx 450 hours to build Second in my series of Abandoned Houses (also, my second moc)
oh that's just not loving fair.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Yeah, so this kid is every so slightly out of his mind, but I can't argue with his results.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Oh, my goodness, there are some fun things to look at on Flickr today

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Joudas posted:

That's pretty lovely that they keep changing the thread name.

I think it's cute, shows how much attention they really pay to us :)

There seems to be a rash on Flickr lately of people doing vignettes from Clue; this is my favorite, by far.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

Here's a sweet MOC I wish I had the pieces to make:

Shuppiluliumas posted:

That's pretty awesome. Reminds me of this Chris Giddens classic:

what are those huge quarter-hemisphere pieces?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
The action figure stuff hasn't been my thing, but these two guys are really cool looking.

Does this look like bionicle or mostly hero factory?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Hey, the way to relax after stressing out for two weeks about a massive job interview is not by wrestling with some complex Lego design, but nobody's allowed to talk about that anymore so shut the gently caress up and post Lego before we get in trouble.

That guy's whole gallery is golden

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 15, 2011

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Already linked on Brothers Brick, but I don't care because there are lurkers who don't go there and holy crap, look at them

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I'm messing round in LDD, can someone with more parts than me confirm if the blue piece in the image really does stick out past the surface of the gray piece, or if it's just a quirk of the program? LDD won't let me put a plate on the gray piece because of it.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

I just mimicked this with actual lego, and if anything the ball&socket piece sits slightly recessed, and you shouldn't have any problem putting a plate on that modified brick. Looks like an error to me.

You're just always so drat helpful. I kinda scrapped that idea, though, in favor of a different technique that mostly eliminates the gap between the ball piece and the side of the brick.

The hips on this thing are evil, and the shoulders and cockpit are going to be worse. I'm currently using one of these and two of [url=http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=62712]these]/url] in the hips, but I don't know if that will be enough to hold it upright. Don't have those pieces currently to do any testing, though. Criticisms, comments, suggestions for improving those joints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Stevoh posted:

Anyways, I really hate LDD sometimes. It keeps deleting pieces from my project.

Also I need to move stuff

3 posted:

LDD's problem is that it's an absolute stickler for "correct" parts placement, and while you can occasionally cheat your way past the program when it comes down to semi- or completely illegal connections, it'll sometimes decide it's had enough of your guff and just flat out remove those pieces the next time you open that project. Problem is, it doesn't tell you what it removed, just how many pieces.

Another part of the problem is that a lot of pieces are imperfect. In certain combinations, you'll end up with offsets too small to even see, but it'll be enough for the program to bitch. I've often had to just pull apart small sections of mocs and rebuild them piece by piece to eliminate these tiny offsets.

One trick I've found that's made life easier is that LDD cannot attach parts to other parts that are hidden. Try hiding some of the pieces around the connection points the connected selection tool (which will select hidden pieces) to grab the section you want to move. This will limit the number of places LDD has to connect things to, and may make it a lot easier to position things.