Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

IGNORE MY POSTS posted:

Had to restrain myself from buying the 10 or so Lunar Limos they had left.
I've been waiting to pick up two of these at reduced cost. I hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

mp5_smg posted:

That truck is made up of parts from all over Canada, the US, and europe. Only thing not original to it is the wheels because people who had the original wheels which I believe were only in that set, wanted to 30$ a rim and like 10$ a tire, or something ridiculous like that.

I had great experiences with Bricklink too, never got screwed.
What's the easiest way to do this? I really want the Silver Champion but I suspect it would be easier to buy all the parts separately and just build it that way.

However, doing it part by part, vendor by vendor seems awfully time consuming. Is there a shortcut?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Professor Bling posted:

They (aircraft rotary engines) also threw oil all over the loving place; that's why WWI movies show airplanes spewing oil out of the cowls after a single bullet hits it. :eng101:
Also, aircraft rotary engines are nothing like Mazda's Wankel rotary engine.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Is this new?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Brandenburg-Gate-21011

Either way, I love it.
The Brandenburger Tor! :stare:

It's beautiful...

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Merchant of Death posted:

Stuff like that blows me out of the water, I have rarely created anything with more than 1500 parts on my own. Sure the UCS Falcon, star destroyer but from my own ground up? Never been able to do it.
Did you see his other structure? It's 50k pieces and he claims it's his second MOC.

Three Story Victorian with Tree by !snap!, on Flickr

Oh. And he's the guy who showed us this majestic thing a few months ago. I remember thinking it was just absolutely incredible, but in light of his other things, it seems almost amateurish.

TwoStory with Basement by !snap!, on Flickr

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Iveliosiudicium posted:

Just picked up city advent calender for my son for this holiday season, by the time I was able to find one last year, it was a damaged package with half the sets missing :/
They can't all be winners, kid.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

GidgetNomates posted:

Well now I want to make this, thanks a lot :colbert:

Wasn't expecting these parts to be so old! Thanks for your help, guys.
The doors and windows come from the 1984 Motorcycle Shop.

Also, in regards to the mysterious wheel, it had a block that came with it that those wheels plugged into. It was a standard 4x2 black brick but had a small hole in each side for the wheel to plug into. Also, because of this, the majority of the brick was solid and had an unusual cross pattern on the bottom. Can't find any pictures of it though. Ah. Here it is.

einTier fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 24, 2011

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

GidgetNomates posted:

The instructions had a lot less hand-holding back then, huh? I'm used to everything being smaller steps.
That seems to be the case. I remember having trouble building the gearbox/shifter assembly on the old 8860 when I was a young kid. It didn't help matters that I really didn't understand what I was building or what it was supposed to do. I eventually got it right, but it wasn't the first or second time I built that kit.

I also wanted to build everything on the box, but they usually only had instructions for the main model. I never did figure out how to build that cool lift.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Lord Gold posted:

I googled this because I didn't believe you. But it's true. Good grief, Playmobil is loving morbid. They should just go ahead and make a Pyramid Head while they're at it.
Playmobil has always been a little subversive. There's a devil Playmobil along with some stereotypically wrong African "savages". But all the worst best can be seen here in the 17 least appropriate Playmobil sets for children.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

front wing flexing posted:

I agree that I loving hated bioncle but I'm grateful it saved the company.
I hated Bionicle. Then I read Christian Humber Reloaded and I really hated Bionicle.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Taeke posted:

I found this quite interesting. It's a guide to build this:

Sure, it's very basic for a lot of you, but for many/some it'll be quite interesting or at least a good start to building the really awesome stuff.
You're not getting nearly enough love for this. Thank you for posting it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The Batwing is $45 / 280 pcs, but the Funhouse is $50 / 380 pcs, so you get 100 pieces, a Harley Quinn, Riddle and Robin in addition to your Joker for only five extra bux.
Plus, it will likely double or triple in value once it finally goes out of production. Keep the box.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Flavor Bear posted:

Open your eyes people!
The wrecking ball and boom account for like 30% of the plastic in that thing.
After I was just lamenting the rather large unique and formed pieces in MegaBlocks new Porsche GT3. On a practical note, how does the stinger work in that creation? Anything it could sting would be blocked by that massive crane.

[edit]
Compare. One of these is a work of love and art. The other is just a glorified snap together kit. Sacrily enough, the MegaBlocks kit has a higher per piece part cost.

einTier fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 16, 2011

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kids today don't like the OT. Some have never even seen it. :smith:
If I ever have kids, I will lie to them and tell them that the three original movies are the only Star Wars movies and I have no idea what their friends are talking about.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

VanSandman posted:

Have they truly stopped making original grey? It was such a good color.
For those of us who don't know, can someone put all the grays next to each other and take a photo? I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly bley is and how it differs from all the other grays that have been offered.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I got it for Christmas in kindergarten and I only remember it because, while my dad helped me put it together, he ripped the instructions apart. :gonk:
I wrote a long post that was really more cathartic for me than useful for you. Deleted it. Now I'll just say that your father probably did what seemed rational to him at the time, but he's human like all of us, and his inexperience with lego and their instructions led him to a bad decision. It was very odd for me to realize my father was human -- truly, honestly, human, just like my peers.

Here's my favorite basic LEGO set from when I was a kid: The FX-Star Patroller

In my opinion, still the best of the classic space sets. The main ship came apart in two sections, a scout ship and a base station. That base station (the back of the space ship) held that little rover and the cool little robot. The robot head was something I'd never seen done before. Studs on the side was a fairly new concept, and you can see it all over this ship -- but they're not really used yet.

I'll also have a very fond spot in my heart for the Lego 8860 Auto Chassis. It was fantastically complex, and 10 year old me really wasn't up to the task of building it. I rebuilt it probably once a year until I finally figured out how to build even the most complex sections (the gearbox, mainly) even if I didn't really understand what they did. So much of it was lost on me -- there was also a working differential, but gently caress me if I knew what that did. And I didn't have anyone technical enough to explain it to me. It also didn't have a lot of play value due to the size and incompatibility with virtually everything, including transformers. Still loved it and never dismantled it. Of course, it's one of the beloved sets that went up into the attic and my rear end in a top hat stepfather pilfered and gave away.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

boner meter posted:

My first set was this dumper truck and it's Moustachioed dustbin man.

I had two of those sets, though I don't remember that simplistic construction. Probably because I completely rebuilt it to resemble the trucks in the Road Warrior. For a toy that at that time had no violent elements, my LEGO men lived in quite the apocalyptic wasteland. I was delighted by the fact that old minifig heads fit nicely on "spikes".

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

djfooboo posted:

What was the trick to make your Bricklink wishlist query all the stores so you could figure out which store had the most of what you needed? I'm thinking about piecemealing together Cafe Corner.

:downs: derp figured it out
So, how do you do this? There's a few sets I'd like to piecemeal, not to mention all the Brickmania stuff I'd like to build. If I have a parts list, how do I make that into an order list?

And in 1975, they had female minifigs like this:

1974:

1971 (no figs, but girl oriented):

In 1970, this was the Basic Figure Finger Puppet Female:

Can't find any minifigs from the 1960's.

einTier fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 4, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

DethMarine21 posted:

This guide was posted back on page 146.
Thank you. This is very helpful. Of course, I think it's going to take longer to find and select all the parts than it will to build it. It'll totally be worth it though.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Anyone have ~40 dark grey 2x2 tiles they'd like to sell?

That's the only part to that drat tank I can't get off Bricklink. Even if I bought all the ones out of the states, I'd still only get about halfway to the amount I need.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

CADPAT posted:

Did you look at 3068b? Because there's like thousands of them for sale in the states.

For example: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?sID=8730&itemID=7970766 (expensive as hell though, but there you go)

Maybe you're looking at 3068a, of which there do not seem to be a lot.
Ah. That's it then. I found 3068, but didn't know there were several types. Sometimes it's rather hard to find things on bricklink. "2x2 tile" brings up a few hundred items.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

AzMiLion posted:

drat you are improving pretty good on your old ships :), even the ones where you got distracted were pretty great! and yeah, it's mostly getting used to LDD and it's quirks.

Also, my plane was feeling lonely, so i started working on a dragster/racecar to go with it. I'd like some feedback on it and the plane. the people i have on skype and MSN and such are not really a large enough group to get decent feedback from and Legoons seem to now there poo poo. so please?

Very steampunk, I like it a lot. Of course, I don't know how you're going to get that rotary (not Wankel) engine to power the wheels, but I love the concept.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Well, that tank was a LOT more expensive than I thought it would be. The last few parts ended up being fairly expensive and I didn't even get all of them in the colors I wanted and I may never get the flex tube at all. Might have to improvise there. [edit] OH drat IT, more of the "this part isn't what you think it is." In for a penny, in for a pound, I guess.

~855 parts. drat. I didn't think it was that many parts either.

einTier fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 7, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

That's an excellent parts set, too, as long as you're looking for tan. It has 556 tan cheese slopes alone.

I've finished my first Friends MOC. I'm trying to apply what we know about the characters to more exciting settings than just "the cafe, the house and the vet." It is in that spirit that I bring you Mia's "Beauty"

Taking her concerns for animal health and welfare to the skies, Mia teams up with veteran gunner Oscar (yes, the hedgehog has a name) and takes to the skies in "Beauty" a retro-inspired, environmentally conscious low-emission long range scout.
This makes me feel completely at ease with the new Friends line. It's LEGO. It's cool. We're good.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
I really wish I had known how much my LEGO tank was going to cost before I started ordering parts. It adds up so fast, and then with shipping ... I was ok with ~$80. As I got close to the end and saw that it was going to be over that with the last few pieces, I was ok with the ~$100 it would cost. Now, the final tally is in. $130. gently caress.

I wouldn't have done it if I had known. Oh well, at least I get a sweet-rear end tank. I would have rather bought the 8461 Williams F1 Team Racer.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

The_Doctor posted:

Well it looks like its got a whole storey over the Fire Station and that's pretty tall.

In other news I just bought this for £25:

Sadly it's not complete, but there's a huge baseplate and lots of lovely old bricks.
Surely a set like that would be easy to complete off of bricklink. I would think the majority of value would be in the actual box. Great find!

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Something happened over lunch. I went to meet a lady in a parking lot and she put a bunch of junk in my trunk. Like a whole bunch.

In case you can't see, there's six of those trays in there, all full, I had to stack them two deep. No idea what all is in there. I did see a few minifigs and it's all LEGO in there apart from the really oddball die cast motorcycle and whatnot. No boxes, but something like 50 instruction manuals, including one for the 6211 Star Destroyer. She claims the kits should be complete, but the LEGOs are well loved ... and who am I kidding, even if they're not complete, it's an epic haul and even selling by weight on eBay will easily recoup my cost.

Because I paid $100 for all that. :colbert:

Really makes up for the overspending on my little tank.

[edit]
That truck chassis on top appears to belong to 8466 Off Roader. I saw a bunch of the lime green panels in the box.

einTier fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 12, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Lobsterdeth posted:

Wait, do people pay a lot of $$$ for Lego construction manuals? :20bux:

Cause I have an assload from early/late 90s and early 00s including the first Millenium Falcon and the Collector's Edition big rear end X-Wing.

Just askin', cause my Lego related things are just taking up space here.

It really depends on what you've got. The UCS Star Destroyer instructions are worth $50-60. The one I just picked up is worth about $15, considering there's a crease on the back cover of one book. Of course, the instructions for something small and recent might only be worth a few pennies.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
It ended up being 116 pounds of LEGO and their containers. I'm going to call it somewhere around 110 pounds. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Started digging through the 110 pound pile today. I was really looking for the lime green pieces to the 4x4 Off-Roader as it's a fairly expensive kit with only a handful of specialized parts. I'd like to build it, first, then I'd like to sell it. I've found about half, but I'm worried those damned kids lost some parts. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

But in the few minutes I'd dug through a couple of bins, I'd amassed quite the collection of minifigs. At least I know it wasn't picked through.

I call this "Ship of Fools"

Here's some of the guys just stood up on the first plate I grabbed. I'm sure a lot of these guys are mixed up and require piecing back together, but that's half the fun.

I don't know all the figures, but I do know that's a goddamn mint Joker standing there front and center. There's also a Grand Moff Tarkin, though he's not worth nearly so much. I think Cerebus back there is probably worth a decent amount too.

Still no idea where to begin. I know I'm having a huge party on Sunday that's just an excuse for me and my friends to get drunk and build with more LEGO than we know what to do with. I figured, how often will you ever get to do that?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Just filled a quart baggie with minifigs. I wasn't even looking to find them, I just pulled them out as a scrounged up parts.

Never have I seen so many dismembered minifigs. Oh, the carnage.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Muppetjedi posted:

I think it's from the Star Destroyer playset (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6211-1)

Yeah, it must be. That's one of the ones I have instructions for. I haven't found the other red guard or Darth Vader yet though. However, there's two full bins of itty bitty pieces that I've not even tried to paw through.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
If I just shovel off this LEGO by the pound, what price should I expect to get? I keep thinking I heard $10/pound, but I keep thinking that can't be right.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Pyroclastic posted:

Wow, those sellers really know how to zero in on the rare pieces. Only 5 sets with that door, none made within 4 years, and even the Krusty Krab set is generally priced $40+ on ebay.
Oh holy gently caress. One of the sets that is in the massive bin of stuff I bought off that lady on Craigslist is the The Krusty Krab. I don't think the whole thing is complete, and I'm not going to bother screwing around with it if the doors alone are worth that much. ...if I can find them.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

mattfl posted:

I don't think I'm doing something right. Here's what I'm trying.

Found set 8458. Added it to my wanted list.

So now I click on By Shop and choose my Technic wanted list that I added set 8458 to.

It found 1795 stores.

So I click on one of the stores, say on that has 107 lots. So now it shows 108 lots, all misc parts are listed.

So how do I add only the parts I need for that specific set to my cart to buy?
Did you already have items in your wanted list? You really need to create a separate list just for 8458 parts. There's approximately 156 separate items in the Silver Champion. Someone has 150 of the items.

Now, if you're in the store buying all the little bits, the only way to get them all is to go through each page manually and get what you need. Yes, it sucks. It sucks more because you'll find used and new parts and have to be careful.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

smackfu posted:

I'm surprised it makes financial sense for someone to sell an order of 150+ separate parts from an inventory of thousands, for a quarter or so each. You'd think inventory management and the picking times would make it an under minimum wage job.

I was actually thinking about this last night as I ordered the last few pieces I needed to complete the 4x4 Off Roader. I've got a stupid amount of parts now. Some of them, like the Cafe Corner doors and the Joker minifig are worth real money. It's definitely worth it to me to eBay those things separately. But then I think of all the other parts that are worth $1.00 or $2.50 or I don't know because I don't know the part's actual value. I could probably make a mint selling it out piecemeal.

But I don't want to. The sheer amount of time it would take just to enter these pieces on Bricklink, much less create a store, price the items competitively, and actually physically move those pieces from the bin to the mailbox is an undertaking of time that isn't worth it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
I found a bunch of these parts in my LEGO. Is it just me, or were the LEGO designers having too much subversive fun? :350:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

echoplex posted:

I don't suppose one of you guys could give me a ballpark estimate as to what this would cost to make?

but before I waste my time I just wondered what I was looking at. £50? £100?

Thanks!
Having just completed a MOC approximately the same size and using a surprising number of the same dark grey parts, my estimate would be somewhere around $125 or about £80. None of the pieces are particularly expensive, but there are a couple that will cost you a pound or two. Plus, unless you're absolutely insane, you won't be able to get best pricing on every piece, so you'll wind up vastly overpaying for a couple of things so you don't have to go buy them from yet another store. Plus, there's shipping to think of too.

Also, if you can, try to contact the guy who built it and see if he can provide an LDD drawing or some plans or something. While a talented LEGO artist could recreate that just from the photos, I can promise you there's a lot going on under the skin that would make this difficult for even the average builder to attempt.

Ooh. Here's a lot more pictures. That makes it easier, but this is a seriously talented build with a lot of extra detail.

einTier fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 19, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

echoplex posted:

I had thought about emailing the guy but didn't know how precious people might be about that sort of thing? Do people tend to share the plans/models for what they made? Thought it might be a bit trade secret.
Who knows. Maybe he made an LDD before he made his model and maybe he'll share it. There's no way of knowing without asking. What I built was made from some instructions the original creator made. He charged me for a CD full of instructions for several kits. Having built this one, I don't know if I'll build another. They're good kits, but they're terribly fragile and there are some parts of the construction I'm very disappointed with.

echoplex posted:

What did you make?
This. It's pretty cool. It's got four guys down in the body of that tank (like the real deal), but showing them off is a little problematic -- there's very little room in that tank. In fact, if the guys under the turret aren't in exactly the right position, it won't rotate. If they're not exactly in the right position, it won't even fit on top. There's also a motor and a few other interesting odds and ends.

Whenever you do build your DeLorean, be very careful if you're price conscious. I originally thought this tank would cost me ~$60 to build, judging by what I was seeing when filling out the wanted list. Not too bad. It rapidly climbed past $80, past $100, then right at the $130 mark. Part of the problem was the last few pieces were hard to source and expensive, and then with nine orders, there was significant shipping costs involved. It was an absolutely miserable experience. You really can't tell what it's going to cost until you're well into your ordering, all you'll have is an extremely rough estimate. I knew from the first order I was probably going to be around $80, but it just seemed to keep climbing.

There will be parts you'll miss. Hopefully you have a LEGO bin or friends you can source from. Otherwise, add $5 for shipping plus the cost of forgotten parts. Make a careful list and build it in LDD first if the builder won't offer plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Flavor Bear posted:

Brickset says PotC goes bye-bye in August, which as somebody who hates PotC, hates Disney, hates overpriced sets and hates fleshtone minifigs, I find this to be good news.
Maybe this means back to good pirate sets in 2013!
The day the Black Pearl goes on sale again, I'm buying it.