Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wow, some very cool stuff in this thread guys.

I have only a tacit interest in LEGO myself, but I'd like to get something nice that can sit somewhere in my home as a display piece. I like the look of that big Green Grocer set I've seen on a few sites. Can anyone comment about that set and whether it's a fun build and truly looks good in the end? And what are the chances of going into my local TRU and finding it on the shelves? (obviously I can order online from a millions places, but buying local is always preferable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, I took a trip to TRU today to see if anything could scratch my LEGO itch. I picked up two sets from the Pirates line; Brickbeards Bounty and the little raft set. They seem like something fun to ease me in before I tackle something with 1000+ pieces.

I'm about halfway through the pirate ship after about an hour of building tonight, and drat it's taking me back to my childhood. Good times man, good times.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finally got around to messing with LDD tonight. While certainly interesting and easy to use, I've already gotten a bit frustrated with it's dumbed down controls and haphazard placement system. And the fact that items within a category aren't organized in any fashion (I spent a good 5 minutes just trying to spot the minis head in universe mode) is maddening. I guess I'll try one of the more advanced CAD programs tomorrow.

Saying that, while messing around inside the program I was able to whip up this little concept building. Sort of a semi-tudor publican building; the second floor that would be over a smaller first floor. Pretty basic by some of your guys standards, but I guess it's decent for my first attempt at the program.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Stregone posted:

This was my favorite little scene thing (what are they called again?)...

A vignette?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Duck of Death posted:

Probably the best use of that plant thing I've ever seen (but I doubt the Lego Group would approve).

Are there ever any Lego reps at the cons, and if so, do they just ignore stuff like this or do they walk around clucking their tongues and giving disapproving looks to stuff like this and vendors like Brickarms?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got the Green Grocer set the other day. It's a nice build so far, lots of interesting details. As I move onto the second floor, I've learned my lesson from the first floor and am now going to sort by colour. At first I was going "Hah, sorting! Sifting through pieces is half the fun!". Cut to 3 hours later and I'm yelling "gently caress YOU LEGOOOOOOOO! Where the gently caress are you 1x1 Dark Grey Smooth-Top, WHERE THE gently caress ARE YOU!!!".

That, and I seem to have a reoccurring habit of going "Where is that fourth loving piece.... WHERE THE gently caress ARohwaitIonlyneededthree....."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slashie posted:

The pirate ship comes with a man-eating shark.

So that wins. I'm gonna throw in Kraken Attackin' because it's ten bucks and contains a squid and how else would we keep the shark menace at bay?

Those Creator sets own, though. I may know an adult who'll be getting one of those. You know... ironically. :colbert:

Thanks for the suggestions!

These were the first two sets I bought when I got back into LEGOSSSSSSSS recently. Fun builds and the sets compliment each other. Good for kids too as there's nothing overtly complex in Brickbeards ship.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kimcicle posted:

I was thumbing through the thread randomly and I saw this post and a huge wave of nostalgia hit me. I've been stopping by the LEGO isle at Target / Walmart everytime I'm there and I always get disappointed by what the kits are like now. They just seem so . . . uncomplicated?

Yeah, that's one of the downsides I'm seeing in modern Lego. It seems like a lot of sets use traditional bricks for the under-structure, and then use all sorts of custom, pre-molded shapes for the outer areas.

Obviously not everything is like that, but it's why stuff like the Atlantis line holds zero appeal for me. I was quite happy to find the Green Grocer set I got was pretty much made up of standard brick types.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Got the bug again for a Lego build, so I headed out to TRU tonight and got the Tantive IV. Seems like a cool build so far. Picked up some of the new minifigs as well. I've also got the VW Bus on order too. It's going to be a Legotastic month!

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 5, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jut posted:

Any chance of some more impressions from Tantive IV? I'm on the fence about buying it at the moment.Is it an interesting build or lots of technic and repetition?

At this point now I'm halfway done. I'd say 2/3's of the model are unique builds and sections, with the last third being the engine cluster which is very repetitive. By technic, if you literally mean having a lot of Technic brand pieces, then no, very little in fact. It's really only used as the backbone of the ship that everything else branches off of.

It's quite a cool, greebly model too. Tons of little details everywhere, and more accurate to the screen model than the old Lego Blockade Runner. Id say it's about 17" long as well, so a decent size for the price. The only thing I dislike it all is the top half of the cockpit compartment. It's cast in clear plastic, and then painted the color of the ship . Obviously they did it this way because it's an odd, barrel shaped section, and casting in clear plastic was on the only way to incorporate windows into the design. The problem is the paint application is really light, so you can really tell it's still clear plastic. They probably could have made a better effort by putting on thicker coats of more opaque paint, as well as a second coat on the inside surface, so it's an unfortunate oversight.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Flavor Bear posted:

The only thing I want from the Friends line is for this

to be cast in a shade of gray.

It would be such a bitchin' Bowie knife.

You can get vinyl dyes that change the colour to whatever you want. There's a thread on Classic Castle about it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Oh man, it'll never happen, but I would so buy that gigantic Jawa Sandcrawler on Cuusoo. That thing is fricken amazing, and I would spend a grand on that easy.

Which kind of brings me to my second point. When is Lego ever going to produce anything that approaches the high-quality MOC stuff? Sure, their really big, expensive sets are almost there, as well as their famous architecture line, but the vast majority of their stuff is so staid and plain. They release a cabin or an inn, it's basically four walls and roof. Look at some of the MOC stuff, with architectually interesting buildings with unique layouts and features. There's lots of crazy MOC stuff out there too that wouldn't break the bank in terms of brick counts either. Hell, they wouldn't even need to spend the time designing the stuff. Contact some of the builders featured on The Brothers Brick, buy out their design, and your done.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Luminaflare posted:

Does anyone know where I could buy just bag 2 of Earth Defense HQ? I only really want the Vic Viper and I can't afford to buy the full set.

Bricklink is probably your best bet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Krazyface posted:

So, why's it called a Quinjet?

I'm assuming it's using "Quin" to mean 4, same as quintuplets. Kind of lame, as something like QuadJet would be cooler. That's comics for ya'.

And a question. Are there any sites that catalogs minifigs, and specifically the different head types? I'm interested in doing some vignettes, but looking for a particular expression on a head is a little tough when most sites just seem to catalog minifigs based on what series they were included in. It would be awesome if I could just search for "smirk", or "one eye closed", or whatever, and it would show the heads that match those descriptors as close as possible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The_Doctor posted:

Quin means 5! :eng101: the quinjet has five engines.

Sockser posted:

Quin means five. Quad means four. Quadruplets.

Well, you see..... so.... so the thing is, I...... uhhhhh, I.....

:suicide:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gravy Jones posted:

As much as I'm hyped for Lord of the Rings, and to a lesser extent Monster Hunters, and to a lesser extent Marvel I've got to admit the new City excavator stuff looks pretty boss especially the mine playset:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego%2F&pic=IMG_20120212_082927.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60)

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego%2F&pic=IMG_20120212_082914.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60

I'm not a big City guy but the recent stuff is really nice. Oh also, the oversized dump truck is pretty sweet.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego&pic=IMG_20120212_082859.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60

Also... not really news but I love the fact that Ninjago gets progressively more bonkers with every release. Obviously the mech is awesome (seriously, it's a loving Samuri Mech), but this is the one that cracked me up. It's like they decided Kai's Blade Cycle didn't have enough swords sticking out of it and needed more.

Edit: Also screw you guys with your endless funds and storage space and modular this and millenium that.... Rise of the Sphinx for £26. gently caress yeah, got my fix for the next month or so.

Hmmm, with everything the MOC community has shown LEGO, they go and design a set that's built into the side of a rough rock wall, and no grey cheese slopes to be seen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FreakyZoid posted:

If Lego built those rocks the way moccers do (rather than using burps) the piece count would go through the roof.

The rock wall isn't that complex in the set. Just adding in some cheese slopes and a few other sizes of sloped tiles to cap the studs on the rock wall for that set would maybe bump the piece count by 30, at the most.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gravy Jones posted:

It is a "modular build - easy start" set though so I don't know if that makes a difference. But to be honest, I don't mind the chunky rough look in stuff like this, and maybe even prefer it in a nostalgic kind of way. But for the most part I think it's more about Lego as a kids toy vs Lego as a work of art. I don't like the big moulded pieces in the easy build city sets, but it's all about the target audience.

Some of the Lord of the Rings sets have a bit of MOC like landscaping going on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/6865918817/in/set-72157629292932379
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/6865903689/in/set-72157629292804395

I think that makes more sense given there will be a big collect and display market for these.

I agree, but incorporating a lot of MOC standards I think would be a good thing for the general evolution of LEGO. Look at the early LEGO stuff, even up into the early 80's, it looks like a retard designed that stuff. Even with more recent offerings, compare early Star Wars stuff with revisions released recently. Things are much more "complex" now, but they look better and aren't really any more difficult to assemble. If you can snap two bricks together, you've basically mastered it now and forever. Even a kids toy can evolve and become technically more complex without actually being any more difficult to assemble or master. Hell, I was building complex model kits before I even hit 10; kids are pretty perceptive. These days too, you need more to grab a kids attention, and maybe seeing those complex details will draw them in, whereas seeing a bunch of raw studs is all "What? That poo poo is for babies!".

Just today, I was at a Zellers seeing what they had in the LEGO aisle (not much, but I got that Police Mobile HQ semi-truck thing). Some little kid was looking over all the sets, and then eventually he settled on..... *sigh*, a Halo set from Mega-Bloks. When his dad asked him if that's what he wanted, he said "Yeah, it's better than my Legos." Disregarding the downsides of Mega-Bloks, the kid obviously went with the set he thought looked coolest, and I have to say, some cheese-sloped rocks in an official LEGO set would be pretty drat cool.

Maybe I shouldn't have grabbed the set from his hands then started beating him over the head with it while shouting "Heretic, HERETIC!", but it's not like I wanted to shop at that Zellers again anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

thebardyspoon posted:

(what kid is gonna say "oh the slopes are better on this one, I'll get that").

The good ones, TheBardySpoon, the good ones. :colbert:

LEGO is not for trash children.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Has anyone heard if they plan on doing another large AT-ST at some point? Both of the main sets they've released so far are ugly as poo poo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Funkmaster General posted:

I've never had a Lego set that didn't come with some extra parts. They tend to be the smallest pieces, so im not sure whether they add them intentionally because they are easy to lose, or accidentally because the machines have a hard time telling the weight difference.

I think their scales can easily detect the weight difference of even a single of the smallest part, but there's point where it's not economically feasible to open and check the bag when it's such a small variance. I would assume they check everything if it's underweight, and only check overweight items if it's more than whatever a standard 2x4 bricks weighs.

I remember reading stories when I was a kid how Nintendo could weigh an entire palette of NES boxes and the scales could detect whether they forgot to include a single mail-in card in one box.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I doubt it. They seem to like their one wave themes as of late. Pharaoh, Alien Conquest, Dino Hunters...all one wave.

:(

Yeah, Alien Conquest was decent, but Pharaoh and Dino Hunters are just terrible product lines. Pharaoh in particular seems like the type of half-assed sets that Mega-Bloks, or the numerous asian knock-offs, would put out.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Saint Sputnik posted:

I see someone isn't a Brenden Frasier fan :colbert:

Actually, I love the Mummy movies for pure popcorn fun. A good LEGO Egypt theme could be amazing, but it just seems really half assed the way it's done now. I'm sure kids dig it just fine. It's a little too sci-fi egypt for my tastes, what with the giant transforming creatures. If they focused more on the roaring-20's explorer vibe, I think it could be really cool.

Come to think of it, a roaring-20's world exploration theme could be amazing. Stout, quasi racist explorers in tilly-hats, visiting exotic south-american, asian, and african locales. Think of all the crumbling temples, the jungle environs, the tan cheese slopes!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Joramun posted:

They already did Indiana Jones.

Yeah, but I want it without any IJ baggage, and definitely without the premium IJ prices.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Red posted:

By the way, I still can't find Series 6 - TRU was all sold out. One empty display case was all that was left.

Have you check any Wal-Marts (if they're near you)? Mine had 3 or 4 cases that were basically untouched last time I was there. Seems like many collectors are making a bee-line for TRU but forgetting other stores that have toys.

I wish they just did away with this blind-bag thing though. Who actually finds blind-bags interesting or fun? Oh yay, my fourth genie. If course I can just trade with my friends oh wait I'm not in grade school and I don't know anyone else that buys Lego. I'm no good with feeling the bags to see what's inside, and it seems like Lego has fixed the bump-codes issue, as I have loads of figures that don't match any of the published bump-codes.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 22, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

illcendiary posted:

Well, I should say "kids" and not "you", since neither you nor I are Lego's target demographic.

Has there been any stats on the popularity of age-groups with the collectable minifigs, as they definitely seem like they're aimed more at the adult collector?

And I wouldn't say getting double or more of a single thing is really playing right into Legos hands, as it pissed me off enough that I'm forgoing buying any more minifigs since it's a waste of my time and money.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cool! I'd recommend minoring in Nintendo 3DS Studies if LEGO is going to be your major too. Last year had some great courses like "MEGA-Bloks: Hate is Sometimes Okay" and "Womens Lego Studies: HAHAHAH! No Seriously, LEGO Is Trying", but I hear those are getting phased out this year.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jut posted:

I've said before, but if you like interesting build with no repetition then this is the set to get. Much better than any of the modulars

Definitely agree. I just finished mine up a few days ago, and it was so much fun to build. So much detail packed into that thing. The only knock I have against it are some of the roof areas are a little weak, but it's not like I'm going to be taking that off all that often anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Soooo.... after getting back into Lego about a month ago, I..... I may have a problem.

(click for bigs)

Also the Green Grocer modular which I forgot to snap.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rocket Ace posted:

What ever happened to generic, gender neutral creativity? I find that a lot of these new sets are PLAYSETS, rather than construction sets.

I'm not even sure LEGO believes their products are gender neutral anymore, even disregarding their latest attempt at drawing in girls. In that recent TV show where they toured the LEGO factory and talked about how LEGO is made, even the designers said their greatest joy was "... making a great product that boys will love."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Here's a question; Does anyone know what sort of process LEGO has when creating their build instructions? It seems virtually every set I've purchased follows a different standard and all have different conventions. Some sets have the instructions on backer boards, others don't. Some instructions list the pieces for each step in a callout box, others don't. Some sets break the instructions up into multiple manuals, and others of the same size don't. Some sets have weird mini-comics in the back of the manual, others from the same series don't.

It all seems a bit schizophrenic on LEGO's part. I wouldn't mind better colour accuracy of the pieces in the drawing either, as telling apart black from dark grey, and brown from maroon can be a challenge at times.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
For any Canadian LEGO lovers here, Chapters-Indogo Books is having a sale this month for 20%-25% off select LEGO products.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Funkmaster General posted:

Why do so many shots of figs have the rounded part of the hand pointing up? That's the bottom!!

Am I just a massive sperg for caring about this or what?

Seems like the vast majority of figs I've purchased come with the hand that way from the factory. I guess some people don't bother to turn them around.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I just realized that the half-asleep head for Sleepyhead could also double as Downs Syndrome Boy. Is there a minifig hockey-helmet we could slap on this guy....

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 10, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Karma Tornado posted:

Propeller Power isn't made anymore.

That, and the Propeller Power set is being sold by an independent seller who sets their own price, Amazon only fulfills the order. The Transport Truck is sold by Amazon itself, and they can command lower prices.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got done building the Lighthouse set. This may be my favourite generic set right now. Its just got a really cool design to it, and the colour choices are great.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

VaultAggie posted:

drat, that is a really nice set. It seems like a great build and it'd be easy to hell to modify or add onto. How much was it?

I'm in Canada, so I think it was $60-something. It's in the Creator line too, so it has two alternate builds as well; a boat launch shack and a mini seafood-shack. The lighthouse build is by far the most impressive though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Moai Ou posted:

Sideshow Collectibles are going to distribute Lego sets.

I wonder if they're going to be exclusive sets, or normal stuff. It'd be nice to flex pay the modular buildings.

Hmmm, I'd guess they'd have to be exclusive. Kind of weird though, I don't know why anyone would want to buy LEGO from Sideshow of all places.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cool, some sort of Lego Star Wars cartoon on Teletoon in Canada right now. When did they make this? I didn't think Lego made any sort of long-form animated stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Clutch Powers?! Oh god, that name is perfect and so wrong at the same time.