Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I have a couple of nanoblocks animals that I got as a gift and they are kinda neat but holy gently caress are they hard to put together. The pieces just don't lock and hold like Lego bricks do at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Saw the new minifigs at Target. Just grabbed 4, thought for a first time buy I'd be ok. Three loving football players.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Buy 1 Get 1 40% off at Toys R Us this week, and if you spend $60 you get a "vintage minifig" collection of 5, apparently there's a different one every week this month.

It appears to work online but not on the modulars or other crazy big stuff.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

My favorite part of those 2013 sets is now I don't have to buy an $80 megaset to get "fire dept vs. cat in tree"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Town Hall is a lightning deal at Amazon for $150 for about another half hour. If you miss that, even the regular price is only $180 instead of $200.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

i81icu812 posted:

Good news, LEGO shop@home after Christmas sale is live! Bad news: everything on sale is sold out and has been sold out for weeks. If you missed out on the 7877 Naboo starfighter from Target clearance you can get it now for 20% off, otherwise that is about all that's left.

Speaking of Target clearance, any idea what they are blowing out post-holiday? Their ad has the bank for $25 on the "these toys and others 50%" page.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

smackfu posted:

VW van is a fun build with lots of neat details and not too repetitive. It's a little fiddly when it's together though with some of the SNOT stuff falling off if you look at it funny. And the popup part on top I wouldn't mess with unless I had the instructions handy.

Looks amazing on a shelf too.

The #1 thing to beware of with the VW Camper: the loving bags aren't numbered :argh:

You should still buy it, though.

As for boxes, I can't say I keep them pristine but I have the ones from anything big I buy. Modulars, the Ferraris, Winter Village, etc. When I was little I would cut the fold-up panels off my big sets and also save the back panels that showed you what else you could build. Still have them too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

smackfu posted:

New modular Palace Theater price is $149.99.

Still not sold on it, especially if it comes with a poo poo ton of stickers.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I'll just post some quick series 9 trades since I got a pile of them today (and of course 3 doubles)

Have:
Plumber
Movie Star
Armored Alien

Want:
Chicken Guy
Waiter
Dr. Jekyll

I'd like to mail out and receive more than just one figure so if we're partway there PM me and we can discuss other sets

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Guess what just opened

http://california.legoland.com/legoland-hotel/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

When does news of the next modular building usually come out? I'm hoping for a museum or a bank.

It's going to be a while. Of all the stuff that leaks these are usually the tightest. On the plus side, it's faster from name of building to pictures to able to buy.

Also Northeast US folks: Five Below just got their pile of S10 minifigs, worth checking out if you don't have a Lego store and don't want to get gouged at TRU.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Hey so when can we get our Marty McFly set or at least see what the actual product will look like?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Sockser posted:

I've been doing series 10 entirely blind bag and I think I've gotten 8 baseball players out of 20 bags.

Fuckin.

Want to trade? That's basically the last one I really want. I keep getting goddamn skydivers.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ehh I can't get that excited over that Winter Village. A carousel and some stands just doesn't stand out for me.

If they really want to gently caress over the secondary market, how about re-releasing the Green Grocer and Cafe Corner :argh: I'd buy those before buying the movie theater :smith:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I ordered a Delorean from Lego.com Monday with a backorder date of 8/22 but now I have a tracking email that says it will be here Thursday :coal:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Hey Lego shop, thanks for replacing a lovely space miniset VIP freebie with a miniature VW Camper the month after the Delorean comes out and the month before the new Winter Village set comes out :argh:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Rathina posted:

You might look on ebay in a few weeks, it might end up being a bit higher price, but the hot dog cart from a few months ago was selling between $5-10 on ebay, way cheaper than spending $75.

The buy it nows are like $20. Hopefully that's just because they are brand new.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I do wish the City line would branch out a little more from "here's a couple of trucks and 15 police/fire sets". The little bank a couple years ago was cool, and that of course got made so it could also have cops and robbers shoehorned into it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Gail is rare? drat, I have like 3 of her. And I didn't even buy that many movie figs because I had no idea they'd be gone from everywhere so fast.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

Can't wait till I have a house so I can have plenty of room for all this Lego.

Went to Target today in the off chance they had some minifigs left. They didn't but I did snag this on clearance for 10 bucks.

Man, all the Targets here still have all the City stuff people have been picking up on clearance at full price.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

FadingChord posted:

I've never watched a single episode of The Simpsons all the way through so my knowledge of the show is mostly limited to things people link to on SA, but I might need that "Old Man Yells At Cloud" newspaper piece.

Once the online streaming thing gets set up later this year watch seasons 3 through 8. You're welcome.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I got a tax refund and was thinking of putting some of it towards the Town Hall. It's supposed to be the next modular that retires but I'm not a massive fan of it, however I do want to buy it before it gets discontinued, can anyone sell me on it a little bit so I can bypass buyers remorse?

Buy two and make the other one into Emmet's apartment building :q:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I've got a bunch of my Lego sets on Billy shelves. They will nicely hold two modulars, but not 3. Had to split up the pet shop.

Anyway, I'm really close to the Simpsons set. I need: Nelson, Grampa, Chief Wiggum, and Milhouse. I have Homer, Burns, Krusty, and Ned to trade.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Those Target fuckers restocked the Simpsons minifigs and jacked up the price 40 cents. The hell they think they are, Toys R Us?

Ugh. Well, anyone got a Milhouse? That's all I'm down to.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I'm tempted to hop on that and just sell the mini model as a kind of rebate. People were getting $20-$30 for the mini VW bus.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Neurion posted:

Not quite as jaw-dropping as that, but I've also been told by various customers that Lego needs to make not just sports sets in general, but sets of specific teams, like the Red Sox or the Boston Bruins.

Maybe she saw this?

http://www.oyosports.com/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Microsoft estimates they'll have made back the 2.5 billion investment by mid-2016, if that tells you anything.

Yeah they aren't doing that. The Minecraft guy made $100 million off of it last year. Which is great, but it also shows how Microsoft hilariously overpaid him (likely with piles of offshore tax-free cash).

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I could do with the hot dog guy and not much else. I wish they would space these out more.

Does anyone have a series #12 gamer guy to trade or sell?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Yep. You in the states? Pig guy is the only one I need from that series so I'd do a straight trade for that.

Bah. I only have Pizza Guy, Musketeer, and three Smellen of Troy.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Been building the Detective Office. So, uh, this whole building is a front for some sort of candy smuggling operation?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Target wants $4.39 for minifigures now, gently caress that

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Target has been clearing out Agents, Movie, and Batman stuff here but it's almost all 15% plus their markup. So Benny's Spaceship was still $94.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

shymog posted:

What the hell, $6 off?

Benny's S^3 was $80 but I passed because I need to be financially responsible.

Target sells it for $109 instead of $99 like the Lego store

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Lego would have to fall real fuckin' far to reach the level it was in the early 00's, considering they're the most successful toy company in the world now.

My favorite weird Lego fact is that they're the the world's largest tire manufacturer

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Oh man that's awesome. Only polybags I've seen lately are the little trash cart guy and the Friends minigolf set (which was a free giveaway from the Store not long ago).

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I got the portapotty truck on sale at Target for $20. Lego has really stepped up their toilet game lately, I love it. The $10 Demolition starter set with the leaky toilet is next.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I might be interested in that stuff, but not if they are stupidly hard to come by like the Nintendo ones

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

How can you patent sorting things into bags? Reading that patent I don't see any technical invention that allows easier bag sorting from a manufacturing standpoint.

U.S. patent law recognizes methods/processes

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I wish that giant city set was individual ones, that was always my favorite lego stuff. I'd buy the store and coffee shop for like $50-60 total but no way do I want all of it for $190.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Rage posted:

Oh neat, 40145-1 is the new Lego Store model, I have 3300003-1 but I have a new Lego Store opening near me this weekend, gonna do my best to get one then!

What Danish dude do I have to explain to that (1) there are at least two snooty malls in Pittsburgh and (2) no one here makes regular shopping trips to Cleveland or Philadelphia