Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Carbohydrates posted:

10214 Tower Bridge: 4,287 pieces, 219,99€, coming in October

:aaa: I will own this. I MUST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Is TRU's buy one, get one 50% off deal on Lego a fairly regular occurrence or was it a one off? Trying to decide if I should wait for my next Lego spree or just load up now.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

If anyone's interested, TRU is doing a 2-day buy 1 get 1 50% off sale today and tomorrow on Duplo, Atlantis, City and Prince of Persia stuff:

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=10718lego&origkw=10718lego&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Not groundbreaking news or anything, but here's the box for the Tower Bridge set coming out October 1st:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

edit: :siren: drat :siren:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44402&st=75&p=786507&#entry786507

That is SO MANY tan cheese slopes

Well at least I got to see it once before blinding myself with jizz

EDIT: MY jizz

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

ought ten posted:

I can't remember what this was supposed to be but it's nice.

I can see the "Mont" in the label and assume it's Mont Saint-Michel.

EDIT:

snortpocket fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 10, 2010

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

EvilRic posted:

I flew over this place on the way back from france and couldn't work out where it was or find it on maps. Thanks for mentioning it as i finally know now and can visit it at some point!
I went there on a school trip as a lad, and found the place really interesting, if somewhat eerie. Definitely worth a visit, if memory serves.

It's probably been mentioned a couple of times, but BBC America is playing the LEGO episode of James May's Toy Stories this week. I think the next showing is Saturday afternoon.

Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwr-dyIsn8

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Anyone who missed out on last year's flagship Technic Crane Truck set (8258) it's available again in the LEGO store for what I believe to be its original price of $149.99.

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8258&cn=57&d=70

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

I picked that up a few months ago, it's pretty sweet.

I did too.. for $260 :sigh:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

The UCS Imperial Shuttle is now available from the LEGO store, if anyone wants to grab it right away:
http://shop.lego.com/ByCategory/Product.aspx?p=10212&cn=233&d=263

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

:siren: Toys R Us is doing a buy 2 get 3rd free sale on all LEGO (except Star Wars and tubs) :siren:

Wasn't able to pick up the perpetually out of stock motorized excavator, so I had to make do with a couple of mobile cranes. They'll make pretty good gifts, and at effectlvely $67 a pop, it's not a bad deal.

Also apologies if this has been posted already, but according to the LEGO store, the Tower Bridge set being released next week is set at $239.99.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

toaster_pastry posted:

I was disappointed to see that the Millennium Falcon isn't available from the lego website. Was it discontinued?

It was on sale very briefly back in May for the obscenely low price of $375 (MSRP $500), but now I think the only place you can get it for under a grand is on eBay.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Just as a heads up, TRU is doing a "Buy 1 Get 1 50% off" on City, World Racers, Atlantis, Kingdom, Toy Story, Technic, Duplo, Prince of Persia, Cars and Hero Factory through the 23rd.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Sorry about the image spam everybody, but I thought I'd take a portion of my 2010 LEGO budget to the now-defunct office photo table and see what I could get (I am by no means a photographer):

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh hello hyper-inflated 2010 Lego budget, didn't see you there!

Sadly the Technic Motorized Excavator and Imperial Shuttle have been relegated to 2011 :(

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

InfinEight posted:

You lucky bastard. I guess I could be lucky too if I stopped buying so many smaller sets :bang:

Luckily I have a nephew who I can buy smaller sets for, while simultaneously satisfying my need for smaller, non-living room occupying builds.

Because he lets me help him of course.

If he knows what's good for him.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

:stare: Where'd you get that Millennium Falcon?

The Denver Lego store, coincidentally on the last day they were available. That store was pretty much the only place in the country that still had any at that point, because one of their big resellers had ordered 20 or so and then backed out.

The deal was sweetened even further by the store honoring the online clearance price so I got $125 off as well :cool:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

InfinEight posted:

Anyway, have some neat little cars:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=429432

Didn't know Corey Feldman had his own minifig

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1gPgcycQ8

Taboo posted:

To step into Stanley and Sandra's modest home is to enter a fantasy world, where a grown man plays with Legos, sucks on a pacifier, is spoonfed, uses baby talk, and even wears a diaper.
:argh:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

You think that's bad.

A similar thing happened with my uncle. He had TONS of comics, in great condition - early Superman and so forth - but was constantly under pressure from my grandfather to get rid of them because they were taking up valuable space. Finally, to appease him, my uncle burned them all and lost what would be worth thousands of dollars a few decades later.

To make matters worse, when my grandfather died, it was discovered that he kept EVERYTHING - every useless scrap of paper and receipt he'd ever collected.

I'd be much sadder about this if my uncle wasn't a dick

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

einTier posted:

The guy answered that question in the article. Basically, it's impossible to do what you want, because the LEGO minifigs are very fat for their height. You either have to have less people inside the plane, or you have to have the proportions of the plane distorted.

Just make them all pay for two seats.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this; it's a page from the 1988 LEGO catalog that my mom, for reason's best known to herself, has held onto for the last 23 years:

As a HUGE Technic nerd, I had (actually still have) everything on this page except the tractor and dirt buggy, and the test car was my pride and joy - a 10th birthday present my dad swears up and down he would never have wasted a whopping 58 pounds on.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Travis343 posted:

Considering fans have made functioning, transforming robots out of actual Lego, I don't think it's that farfetched to want.

This was my only friend as a child:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=8852-1

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

Had a good laugh at these, brilliant. He just looks so determined.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Bought my parents the Taj Mahal on sale last year for $200 for their 40th wedding anniversary (my mum loves Lego and my dads from India, so I thought it appropriate) and against my better judgment, let them open and build it.

And now...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002EEP3NY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1312474577&sr=8-1&condition=new :qq:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

You let them open their anniversary present? How gracious of you.

Ha, well as appreciated as it was at the time I think if any of us had known it would more than quadruple in value in less than a year, they'd have much rather just kept it safely on a shelf.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Lots of purply goodness here, but not a great deal of variety. Of the "normal" pieces, there's just 3x2 plates and 4x1, 2x1 and 1x1 bricks.

So buying that VW though

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

ixnay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDj_zA1v450

Video showing off the Town Hall modular building coming next month. You can see UCS R2-D2 and what looks like a haunted house in quick shots at the beginning of the video.

Judging by the comments on that video, Lego's next competition grand prize should be a lunch date with an attractive woman to have a discussion about Lego without shame or fear of ridicule.

Or for brevity's sake, a discussion with a woman.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Dead Alice posted:

I bought the City cherrypicker today, and just noticed that the number plate stickers match up to the product code.

Little touches like this show up pretty frequently in Lego sets. The Technic Tow Truck is labelled "Wabra's Road Service" and has the license plate "UW34AP", while the Crane Truck is labelled "UW Lifting Service" and has the license plate "W4-BR4". All of these elements are in reference to Uwe Wabra, the designer of both models (he was 34 when the Tow Truck was released, not sure what the "AP" in the license plate refers to).

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Shin-chan posted:

They said in that lego documentary that was posted a few pages back (the police station one) that the license plates now correspond to one of the set designer's initials and the set number. It's possible there was more than one designer on the set, so they included extra initials. The Recycle Center set comes with 2 different plate stickers, one for each vehicle. Both have the same number (set number) but with different initials.

Ah, didn't think of that. Probably this guy then.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Just picked up all 16 KRE-O Transformers minifigs, and I am in love. They're a bit different from their Lego counterparts; they have quite a selection of custom accessories (cannons that attach to the arms for the Seekers and little tires you plug into Optimus's legs, etc.) and the arms and legs are all on individual ball joints. They even rotate at the hips. Because of all this they do feel a bit flimsier than Lego figs and are a bit harder to get to stand up, but I'm ok with that because they're more for display purposes and I doubt I'll be reenacting too many Cybertronian battles at my age.

I'll try to get some pics up this weekend if there's any interest.

Red posted:

I thought I'd share the instructions to a small classic Space Police set.

Before I realized this whole image was flipped I thought "Space Police" was written in reverse so that space offenders could read it in their space rear view mirrors :(

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Final Gloom posted:

I can't help but feel like I'm being triple goatse'd by your train.
I think there might be something wrong with us because that's the first thing I saw too.

Blue Moonlight posted:

However, its purchase does present one problem. I have no idea where I'm going to put the thing. Guess I need to go get another shelf and move the London Bridge away from the other modulars.
Tower Bridge! :argh:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Digital War posted:

Made some changes to my little shunter. Now with less goatse.

:ssh: goatse is in the wheels

VVV It's still a cool train though!

snortpocket fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 5, 2012

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Tanith posted:

Alternatively it's three :Ds with shutter shades.

This is like a Lego version of that picture where children see dolphins and adults are supposed to see two people loving or whatever

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

My mother in law sent me this the other day - apparently these youngsters have been tearing up the bluegrass charts for the last few months. Of course that's not why I'm posting it in THIS thread :haw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MoWPTeYS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

D34THROW posted:

Took me a minute to spot what looks like the UCS Falcon on the nightstand. Not obvious at first, but still awesome.

It makes sense though, if I were a 9 year old musician, I'd make drat sure my UCS Millennium Falcon made an appearance in my first video.

E: And all my other videos